PDA

View Full Version : Is Pierre Turgeon a lock for the Hall Of Fame?

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-12-2010, 04:00 AM
I got into a discussion with someone whether Pierre Turgeon is a lock for the Hall Of Fame. He is eligible this year. I never thought of him as a HOFer in the first place. Here are the pros and cons:

Pro
He is 35th on the all-time scoring (1327 total points)
He is in the 500 goal club

Cons
Scored 40+ goals twice (58 and 40)
Was in the top 10 in scoring twice in his 19 year career
Career Awards - 1 - The Lady Byng in 1997
Made the all-star game 4 times in 19 years
Zero Stanley Cups

I just don't see him as a Hall Of Fame player, I guess the numbers will get him in. The Hockey HOF has let in some questionable players, but when I think HOF I think the best of the best.

Thoughts?

BlackMetalNinja
05-12-2010, 07:47 AM
I got into a discussion with someone whether Pierre Turgeon is a lock for the Hall Of Fame. He is eligible this year. I never thought of him as a HOFer in the first place. Here are the pros and cons:

Pro
He is 35th on the all-time scoring (1327 total points)
He is in the 500 goal club

Cons
Scored 40+ goals twice (58 and 40)
Was in the top 10 in scoring twice in his 19 year career
Career Awards - 1 - The Lady Byng in 1997
Made the all-star game 4 times in 19 years
Zero Stanley Cups

I just don't see him as a Hall Of Fame player, I guess the numbers will get him in. The Hockey HOF has let in some questionable players, but when I think HOF I think the best of the best.

Thoughts?The pros you listed are more of a cumulative effort from a rather lengthy career. He had a few stellar seasons, but was not consistently amongst the top players in the league. I don't view him as a HOF player either.

Ebenezer
05-12-2010, 11:38 AM
The numbers are there to get him in over time...but that is the key. He only gets in during a weak candidate year.

Philagape
05-12-2010, 11:48 AM
This is why mere stats shouldn't be a determining factor. Merely being good for a long time will result in similar numbers to those who were truly great. The HOF should be only for the truly great.
It's just like Drew Bledsoe. Some say he should be in the HOF only because of his career numbers. But his numbers come from quantity, not quality. He was never truly great.

Nighthawk
05-12-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't view Turgeon as a HOF player, he just wasn't the player that could make a difference in every game he played in. He's another typical, soft Buffalo Sabres draft pick.

Ebenezer
05-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I don't view Turgeon as a HOF player, he just wasn't the player that could make a difference in every game he played in. He's another typical, soft Buffalo Sabres draft pick.

he just wasn't a soft Sabres pick...he was the consensus overall #1...he was going there regardless who had the top pick.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Two words,

LALALALALALALA Lafontaine!!!!!!!

best trade that the Sabres ever made

rbochan
05-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Two words,

LALALALALALALA Lafontaine!!!!!!!

best trade that the Sabres ever made

And then Darcy traded him for Andrew Peters.
:hang:

Ground Chuck
05-12-2010, 05:25 PM
No

clumping platelets
05-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Should not even be considered