PDA

View Full Version : Harvey looking to anchor down

The Spaz
05-12-2010, 09:57 AM
If there’s one player particularly excited about the Buffalo Bills’ new 3-4 defensive scheme, it would have to be nose tackle Lonnie Harvey. With bulk and power being the main prerequisite for the defensive line in the coming season, Harvey appears to fit the bill.

The 6-3, 342-pounder out of Morgan State has all that and then some – topped off with some speed and agility not typical of a man his size. How far those assets will take him remain to be seen.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Harvey-looking-to-anchor-down/445e61d7-8a79-4ab8-aa92-6c105a6f0e8d

buffalobillsfan95
05-12-2010, 09:59 AM
who?

DraftBoy
05-12-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm really hopeful that this guys can play at a high level. We are not deep at NT and if he can be the third guy that would be awesome!

OpIv37
05-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Guys like this are usually camp fodder. But he'll make the team by default.

And for ****'s sake, KYLE WILLIAMS IS NOT A 3-4 NT!!!!!!!!!

RockStar36
05-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Gotta love these fluff articles from BB.com

BillsWin
05-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Chris Brown is King of Fluff.

The Spaz
05-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Without the "fluff" there wouldn't be anything to write about.

madness
05-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Guys like this are usually camp fodder. But he'll make the team by default.

And for ****'s sake, KYLE WILLIAMS IS NOT A 3-4 NT!!!!!!!!!

Good thing we aren't running a traditional 3-4.

JCBills
05-12-2010, 10:57 AM

That's not a good thing.

Pretty sure we're still running a 2 gap 3-4, where Williams looks to be a massively bad fit. One hell of a 4-3 3 tech, but I'm not so sure on him clogging up the middle for 40 plays a game.

madness
05-12-2010, 11:09 AM
That's not a good thing.

Pretty sure we're still running a 2 gap 3-4, where Williams looks to be a massively bad fit. One hell of a 4-3 3 tech, but I'm not so sure on him clogging up the middle for 40 plays a game.

It's going to be a hybrid 3-4 just like Miami ran last year. There will be variations of the 3 (DE,DT, and even LB's) lining up front as well as mixed 4-3 looks. Kyle Williams isn't and won't be expected to holding down 2 gaps on running plays.

OpIv37
05-12-2010, 11:10 AM
The only reason we're not is because this FO is incapable of finding a traditional 3-4 NT who can start.

And if we are not running a traditional 3-4, why waste time on Harvey?

And did you not watch this team for the last 4 years? Did you bot see the horrible results from being undersized at key defensive positions?

"Not a traditional 3-4" is GM speak for "Ralph won't pay for the guys we need so we'll make do with what we have."

madness
05-12-2010, 11:19 AM
The only reason we're not is because this FO is incapable of finding a traditional 3-4 NT who can start.

And did you not watch this team for the last 4 years? Did you bot see the horrible results from being undersized at key defensive positions?

"Not a traditional 3-4" is GM speak for "Ralph won't pay for the guys we need so we'll make do with what we have."

It's called transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Almost every team has done it when changing between these schemes.

DraftBoy
05-12-2010, 11:21 AM

Names who were available?

OpIv37
05-12-2010, 11:41 AM
It's called transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Almost every team has done it when changing between these schemes.
then we're not actually implementing a non-traditional 3-4. We're implementing a stopgap solution, which is the only reason Williams will be playing NT: lack of other options.

OpIv37
05-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Maake Kemoeatu (signed with Skins for 2 years, $7 million)
Shaun Smith (this one is questionable)
Gabe Watson (re-signed with Cards)

There's 3 that I found in a 5 minute Google search. Not that any of these guys are spectacular, but they're better fits for the position than Williams. There's no excuse for not getting Kemoeatu at least as a stop-gap while Troupe (or whoever we would have ended up with, since Kemoeatu signed before the draft) learns and we explore other options.

OpIv37
05-12-2010, 11:50 AM

BTW, I really ****ing HATE this argument.

We do this as a hobby. It's the Bills' FO's job to do this full time. Somehow, our opponents never have problems improving their team, but when it comes to the Bills, there are never any options available. WTF? How can a team with so many holes come out of FA only adding a couple of veteran role players that don't even address the major holes? It's ****ing illogical.

DraftBoy
05-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Maake Kemoeatu (signed with Skins for 2 years, $7 million)
Shaun Smith (this one is questionable)
Gabe Watson (re-signed with Cards)

There's 3 that I found in a 5 minute Google search. Not that any of these guys are spectacular, but they're better fits for the position than Williams. There's no excuse for not getting Kemoeatu at least as a stop-gap while Troupe (or whoever we would have ended up with, since Kemoeatu signed before the draft) learns and we explore other options.

Kemo and Watson Ill give you. Smith is crap though.

jamze132
05-13-2010, 04:58 AM
I like fat bastards in the midle.

Night Train
05-13-2010, 05:22 AM
I agree that this article lost its legs when Kyle Williams was mentioned as the starter at NT. Good God. The guy was a swinging door at DT vs. the run. So naturally, he'll be far better as a NT. :rofl:

The whole point of the NT is to attract the double team and clog the middle. Kyle Williams fits that description about as well as Rosie O'Donnell fits a G string.

I'm sorry but the whole internt thingy has produced a non ending number of wannabe journalist/bloggers that possess limited knowledge of what they speak of. So much junk out here. :down:

YardRat
05-13-2010, 05:37 AM
Smith sucks and Watson wasn't going anywhere anyway, so really the only viable option would've been Kemo...I would have liked to seen that deal done, and would feel a lot better about NT w/Kemo-Troup-Harvey than Williams-Troup-Harvey.

That being said, Kemo most likely would end up being a 2-yr 'rental' (which still would be OK with me), and I'm really hoping Troup and Harvey can step up and become a nice 1-2 tandem for the future.

Nix has had pretty decent success with undrafted FA's, so he's going to hit with a couple of guys for us, and Harvey could be one of them.

DraftBoy
05-13-2010, 10:43 AM
BTW, I really ****ing HATE this argument.

We do this as a hobby. It's the Bills' FO's job to do this full time. Somehow, our opponents never have problems improving their team, but when it comes to the Bills, there are never any options available. WTF? How can a team with so many holes come out of FA only adding a couple of veteran role players that don't even address the major holes? It's ****ing illogical.

BTW, I really dont care. If you cant take the time to become an informed fan when expressing you're opinion then what's the point. Its not like the information is difficult to find.

Ive seen you tear people apart who don't have enough evidence to support their opinion in Spin Zone, but suddenly you hate it in the BZ when you get asked to do a 5 min google search?

Night Train
05-14-2010, 06:54 PM
No one can sell me the idea that Kyle Williams getting the majority of the NT snaps is better than a Troup/Harvey rotation.

Spiderweb
05-16-2010, 07:10 PM
No one can sell me the idea that Kyle Williams getting the majority of the NT snaps is better than a Troup/Harvey rotation.

Night Train. I couldn't agree with your more. I just don't see Kyle being effective at all at the NT position. In fact, if Troup & Harvey make a reasonable combo, Kyle could become trade material. He's a 4-3 tackle period.

acehole
05-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Read that....I was hoping we would not go in this thing with one nose. A lot to ask of one rookie.

Rotate these fat asses until we win the big one.

If there’s one player particularly excited about the Buffalo Bills’ new 3-4 defensive scheme, it would have to be nose tackle Lonnie Harvey. With bulk and power being the main prerequisite for the defensive line in the coming season, Harvey appears to fit the bill.

The 6-3, 342-pounder out of Morgan State has all that and then some – topped off with some speed and agility not typical of a man his size. How far those assets will take him remain to be seen.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Harvey-looking-to-anchor-down/445e61d7-8a79-4ab8-aa92-6c105a6f0e8d