PDA

View Full Version : Top Prospects By Site

DraftBoy
05-13-2010, 10:49 AM
NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8180e302&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true&campaign=nfl_fb

NationalFootballPost.com
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Top-10-prospects-for-2011.html

k-oneputt
05-13-2010, 10:59 AM
That's funny, after reading what the "experts" say at this site I was thinking that Locker would be lucky to go in the first three rounds.

DraftBoy
05-13-2010, 11:01 AM
That's funny, after reading what the "experts" say at this site I was thinking that Locker would be lucky to go in the first three rounds.

Locker received a 3rd Round Grade from the NFL Advisory Committee.

k-oneputt
05-13-2010, 11:03 AM
I'll gladly take him right now in the 2nd of 2011 then.

DraftBoy
05-13-2010, 11:04 AM
I'll gladly take him right now in the 2nd of 2011 then.

I wouldn't. He has a whole year to show me some growth and that's assuming he doesnt chose baseball.

k-oneputt
05-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Unlikely on Baseball. If that is were he truly was going he would already have left.

DraftBoy
05-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Unlikely on Baseball. If that is were he truly was going he would already have left.

Why would he do that?

Think about all of the other two sport guys;
Drew Henson
Russell Wilson
Kyle Parker
Jeff Smarzdija
Golden Tate

None of them have left football early for baseball or the other way around. Though Parker is currently considering it.

k-oneputt
05-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Why would he do that?

Think about all of the other two sport guys;
Drew Henson
Russell Wilson
Kyle Parker
Jeff Smarzdija
Golden Tate

None of them have left football early for baseball or the other way around. Though Parker is currently considering it.

Last I looked everone of those guys on your list should have/ or should stick with football.

scartown
05-13-2010, 04:01 PM
I want to see Locker complete atleast 60% of his passes, cut down on the INTs and raise his YPA this year. He should be able to do all this with 10 returning starters on offense. On the mechanical side I would like to see him hold the ball up higher. He seems to bring it down low sometime. If he's able to do that I don't see how he won't be a top 10 pick next year.

DraftBoy
05-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Last I looked everone of those guys on your list should have/ or should stick with football.

Not the point, the point was that most 2 sport CFB players don't just focus on one sport because they don't have to.

k-oneputt
05-14-2010, 07:33 AM
Not the point, the point was that most 2 sport CFB players don't just focus on one sport because they don't have to.

Maybe so with some.
I'm willing to wager anything you wish that Locker plays football.

Washington is going to have a very good offense this coming season and Locker will be leading it. He will improve. He also finally has good coaching last year and now.

DraftBoy
05-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Maybe so with some.
I'm willing to wager anything you wish that Locker plays football.

Washington is going to have a very good offense this coming season and Locker will be leading it. He will improve. He also finally has good coaching last year and now.

Why bother to bet? This isn't about being right or wrong. Im simply pointing out that its not a 100% done decision yet. He has been offered a professional contract by the LAA and will likely be drafted in July again by some team.

Washington has a very young offense that will have to show growth throughout and help Locker out. His skill position guys are very good but I am concerned about the OL ahead of him. They are a weakness for sure. Coaching is obviously there, Sark was the better option coming out of USC than Kiffin. Though I think Kiffin is a very solid coach as well.

k-oneputt
05-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Like I already said, if he was playing baseball he would have already left. you don't wait until your 22 yrs. old to start in the minor leagues.

Wash offense will put up 30 a game this year, their defense sucks though. They will play alot of high scoring shootouts.

DraftBoy
05-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Like I already said, if he was playing baseball he would have already left. you don't wait until your 22 yrs. old to start in the minor leagues.

Wash offense will put up 30 a game this year, their defense sucks though. They will play alot of high scoring shootouts.

I'll be sure to let Strasburg know your opinion on him starting his stint in the minors so late.

k-oneputt
05-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Strasburg is an elite prospect. The #1 prospect in the last couple of drafts. I know Locker is not an elite baseball prospect because if he was he would not be playing qb in college. Big difference being the #1 prospect and getting drafted in the 20th rd.

Good news for Locker though, he will be an elite qb prospect for the 2011 draft.

DraftBoy
05-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Strasburg is an elite prospect. The #1 prospect in the last couple of drafts. I know Locker is not an elite baseball prospect because if he was he would not be playing qb in college. Big difference being the #1 prospect and getting drafted in the 20th rd.

Good news for Locker though, he will be an elite qb prospect for the 2011 draft.

why does that suddenly matter? You said above that you don't wait till your 22 to start in the minors when in reality plenty of guys so wait that long. Either way it's off topic.

I expect Locker to improve but much like Jimmy Clausen this past draft I feel like many sites will be ranking him far too high.

k-oneputt
05-14-2010, 09:50 AM
All I know is there are alot of bad qb's in the NFL that play alot of minutes. How a team with bad qbing would not take a chance on a Clausen or a Locker early next year is beyond my football knowledge I guess, but again I guess that partially explains why some teams can't make the play-offs for decade stretches.

k-oneputt
05-14-2010, 09:52 AM
why does that suddenly matter? You said above that you don't wait till your 22 to start in the minors when in reality plenty of guys so wait that long. Either way it's off topic.

I expect Locker to improve but much like Jimmy Clausen this past draft I feel like many sites will be ranking him far too high.

The point is that baseball is a non-issue with Locker. If he was a Strasberg level propect he would already have given up football.

DraftBoy
05-14-2010, 10:34 AM
The point is that baseball is a non-issue with Locker. If he was a Strasberg level propect he would already have given up football.

Pure speculation that has no proof to back it up.

Smardzija is a MLB level pitcher, not a very good one granted, and he never gave up Football. Most Two Sport athletes play both sports throughout their collegiate careers.

Drew Henson is a great example, played both football and baseball and was considered an elite prospect at both until he made his final decision to go pro in baseball.

k-oneputt
05-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Henson and Smardz. both picked the wrong sport. Unless they were just looking at the $$$$$$ then they probably went the right way. They were good baseball prospects not elite. Very difficult to make it through the minors into the Majors and stick. I wonder what Henson would have done if the NFL if he chose football intially ? When he came back after his failed baseball career it was to late. Hope the $$$$ was worth it for him.

k-oneputt
05-26-2010, 09:15 AM
No baseball for Locker this summer. Told Angels he will not be playing in their minor leagues. I think this puts the baseball option to rest. Now the Bills have to fiqure out how to land him without going 0-16 this year.

DraftBoy
05-26-2010, 11:29 AM
No baseball for Locker this summer. Told Angels he will not be playing in their minor leagues. I think this puts the baseball option to rest. Now the Bills have to fiqure out how to land him without going 0-16 this year.

Not quite yet, remember he is under contract with the Angels. Angels GM said yesterday that if Locker skips summer baseball and violates his contract he will be fined by the club. Which could change his mind, this ain't quite over yet.

k-oneputt
05-26-2010, 12:06 PM
The Angels will be coming to recoup some of that signing bonus. Thats what lawyers are for. Either way baseball is done. You don't skip a season in your early 20's if you are going to play baseball for a career.

DraftBoy
05-26-2010, 09:29 PM
The Angels will be coming to recoup some of that signing bonus. Thats what lawyers are for. Either way baseball is done. You don't skip a season in your early 20's if you are going to play baseball for a career.

And since that was just announced and Locker has not spoken about it, we don't yet know the result. Remember the NCAA will be watching very closely about how everything is being handeled here specifically with lawyers (cough*agents*cough) being involved. Any hint of an improper benefit will be fully investigated. Locker is one of a very very few players who are allowed to sign professional contracts but retain collegiate eligibility. Its a murky set of waters, but one the NCAA will not hesitate to wade into if they think things are being handled improperly.

We also know that a professional team will not hesitate to ruin a collegiate players eligibility like Tampa Bay did to Bo Jackson in 87, to prevent him from playing baseball at Auburn ever again.

X-Era
05-27-2010, 05:21 AM
And since that was just announced and Locker has not spoken about it, we don't yet know the result. Remember the NCAA will be watching very closely about how everything is being handeled here specifically with lawyers (cough*agents*cough) being involved. Any hint of an improper benefit will be fully investigated. Locker is one of a very very few players who are allowed to sign professional contracts but retain collegiate eligibility. Its a murky set of waters, but one the NCAA will not hesitate to wade into if they think things are being handled improperly.

We also know that a professional team will not hesitate to ruin a collegiate players eligibility like Tampa Bay did to Bo Jackson in 87, to prevent him from playing baseball at Auburn ever again.

If he were to lose his eligibility somehow, could he potentially be a supplemental pick this year?

DraftBoy
05-27-2010, 07:39 AM
If he were to lose his eligibility somehow, could he potentially be a supplemental pick this year?

I mean its certainly possible but the supplemental draft is in Mid July so the Angels would have to do something before then and even if Locker was declared ineligible he could go the Dez Bryant route and just workout with Sarkisian and Co at UW all season long.

The likelihood of LAA doing something is very low, and they could face repurcussions from future Two-Way Athletes because of it. However the possibility is still there if they think Locker is a good enough prospect.

k-oneputt
05-27-2010, 07:47 AM
All this bs means is Locker is done playing baseball in the Angels organization and anywheres else. He will not lose his football eligibility, and he will prepare himself for being a top NFL pick in 2011.

DraftBoy
05-27-2010, 10:31 AM
All this bs means is Locker is done playing baseball in the Angels organization and anywheres else. He will not lose his football eligibility, and he will prepare himself for being a top NFL pick in 2011.

You are free to make that assumption, however anything at this point can still happen.

ZAZusmc03
05-28-2010, 08:59 AM
You are free to make that assumption, however anything at this point can still happen.

Wasn't Riley Cooper drafted and signed on with a Pro baseball club?

k-oneputt
05-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Ricky Williams played one summer in the Phillies minor leagues while at Texas.

DraftBoy
05-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Wasn't Riley Cooper drafted and signed on with a Pro baseball club?

Yep.

The NCAA has some sort of rule that allows these kids to sign Pro Baseball Contract and yet maintain their NCAA eligibility. Im not 100% sure on the technical terminology of it, or how it works, Ive just heard its really murky.