PDA

View Full Version : How does the GM make decisions to sign and cut players?

NC-BILLS44
05-14-2010, 01:29 PM
The latest cuts got me thinking. The Bills had just signed Mendenhall and Mutcher. Why?? They are with the team only breifly and cut. I just wonder what the thought process is to first sign them and ultimately, what happens for the decision to be made to cut them? I'm not a fan of either player, just curious about the process.

OpIv37
05-14-2010, 01:31 PM
For most teams, it has to do with performance at a mini-camp or OTA. For the Bills, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with a bottle of Jack and a Magic 8-ball.

ServoBillieves
05-14-2010, 01:39 PM
For most teams, it has to do with performance at a mini-camp or OTA. For the Bills, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with a bottle of Jack and a Magic 8-ball.

"Try Again" ... "Try Again" ...

"Ah screw it, let's draft a corner."

delectrolux
05-14-2010, 01:45 PM
My assumption is that since the contracts aren't guaranteed, there's no reason not to sign somebody if you think there's even a slight chance they'll end up on the roster. You get them in, do some evaluations, and if they make it to the next day, they make it to the next day. Otherwise, they're cut, you lose a few days/weeks of their pay and they go do it all over again at some other training camp.

BillsWin
05-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Performance at the mini camps.

Goobylal
05-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Dart board?

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-14-2010, 03:11 PM
They come to the Billszone and sign and cut the players that are posted of course.

Night Train
05-14-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm guessing he waits for a poll..

Mr. Pink
05-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Rock paper scissors with Ralphie

madness
05-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Rock paper scissors with Ralphie
Ralph's version: rock, stick, sharp rock

PromoTheRobot
05-14-2010, 04:21 PM
No other team in the NFL does this. The other 31 teams already know exactly which 53 players will be on their roster, even before they are drafted.

PTR

Johnny Bugmenot
05-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Or, perhaps, they're making room for some other talent?

OpIv37
05-14-2010, 07:19 PM
No other team in the NFL does this. The other 31 teams already know exactly which 53 players will be on their roster, even before they are drafted.

PTR

Do other teams constantly sign no-names then cut them 2 weeks later? I honestly don't know because I don't pay enough attention to the other teams. Maybe it's how business gets done. But it seems like the Bills spend a lot of time in the off-season signing no-names then cutting them two weeks later when- SURPRISE!- the Bills find out they're not very good.

And I can ALMOST understand it if it EVER worked out, but it never does. The only example I can think of is Fred Jackson, and that was 4 years ago. It seems like a lot of work to end up with 1 good player every 4 years.

YardRat
05-14-2010, 07:40 PM
The Bills roster is full right now, and in order to sign more players they have to cut somebody to make room.

They sign a RB on Tuesday, another team releases a RB/KR on Wednesday, Buffalo cuts the first RB and signs the second because he's 'better'.

What's wrong with that?

People would ***** if there were empty roster spots, because the team isn't signing players to compete and thus being 'cheap'.

People ***** when the team doesn't make moves to improve the roster, and then when they do they still ***** because (in hindsight) the first player was a 'waste' and should have never been signed to begin with.

Does anybody really feel the front office should stop digging for more talented players than are currently on the roster?

OpIv37
05-14-2010, 07:58 PM
The Bills roster is full right now, and in order to sign more players they have to cut somebody to make room.

They sign a RB on Tuesday, another team releases a RB/KR on Wednesday, Buffalo cuts the first RB and signs the second because he's 'better'.

What's wrong with that?

People would ***** if there were empty roster spots, because the team isn't signing players to compete and thus being 'cheap'.

People ***** when the team doesn't make moves to improve the roster, and then when they do they still ***** because (in hindsight) the first player was a 'waste' and should have never been signed to begin with.

Does anybody really feel the front office should stop digging for more talented players than are currently on the roster?

But the problem is that the moves DON'T improve the roster, or at best they make the roster go from an F to a D-. I feel the front office should do a better job drafting and in FA so we don't have to "dig" for talent amongst no-names and other teams' rejects.

It feels like the Bills are in the 99 cent bargain bin at the CD store, hoping that someone mistakenly buried a copy of the Clash's London Calling beneath all the Vanilla Ice and RATT CD's, meanwhile the rest of the NFL is outside downloading the latest and greatest music on wireless internet connections.

YardRat
05-14-2010, 08:02 PM
But the problem is that the moves DON'T improve the roster, or at best they make the roster go from an F to a D-. I feel the front office should do a better job drafting and in FA so we don't have to "dig" for talent amongst no-names and other teams' rejects.

It feels like the Bills are in the 99 cent bargain bin at the CD store, hoping that someone mistakenly buried a copy of the Clash's London Calling beneath all the Vanilla Ice and RATT CD's, meanwhile the rest of the NFL is outside downloading the latest and greatest music on wireless internet connections.

You bring 80 guys to camp. Obviously everybody isn't going to make the team...most that will be cut can be identified by the average-to-above-average fan.

There's always a longshot chance that Guy #79 or #80 makes the squad and contributes.

Would you rather they just went with 60 or 65, and took the attitude 'Why bother? They probably won't make the final cuts anyway?"

YardRat
05-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Also, if you think the other 31 teams aren't filling out their training camp roster with no-names and other teams rejects than you're wrong.

Didn't take Cincinnati long to scoop up Mendenhall.

OpIv37
05-14-2010, 08:07 PM
You bring 80 guys to camp. Obviously everybody isn't going to make the team...most that will be cut can be identified by the average-to-above-average fan.

There's always a longshot chance that Guy #79 or #80 makes the squad and contributes.

Would you rather they just went with 60 or 65, and took the attitude 'Why bother? They probably won't make the final cuts anyway?"
I'd rather we had 40 guys who were most likely going to make the team, 20 guys who are on the fence and 20 guys who were long shots.

Instead, we have 30 guys who will most likely going to make the team, 10 guys would be on the fence for most teams but will make our team because we have no one better, and 40 guys who are long shots but at least 10 of them will make the team because of no other options.

YardRat
05-14-2010, 08:26 PM
I'd rather we had 40 guys who were most likely going to make the team, 20 guys who are on the fence and 20 guys who were long shots.

Instead, we have 30 guys who will most likely going to make the team, 10 guys would be on the fence for most teams but will make our team because we have no one better, and 40 guys who are long shots but at least 10 of them will make the team because of no other options.

That's part of re-building.

Just for reference sake, the New Orleans Saints had 23 players on their roster in 2009 that weren't in 2008...apparently they weren't in a situation last off-season where they had 40 guys that were most likely going to make the team either.

OpIv37
05-14-2010, 10:07 PM
That's part of re-building.

Just for reference sake, the New Orleans Saints had 23 players on their roster in 2009 that weren't in 2008...apparently they weren't in a situation last off-season where they had 40 guys that were most likely going to make the team either.

The exception to prove the rule: it's the Billszone mantra!

BertSquirtgum
05-15-2010, 01:28 AM
i think there are labeled squares in ralph's drool cup. like a football square pool at a bar. where ever the drool lands at the time of the decision, is who ends up being cut.

jamze132
05-15-2010, 04:50 AM
I have absolutely no problem with bringing in as many people as possible to see what they have. It doesn't hurt our team in any way, shape, or form.

Historian
05-15-2010, 09:21 AM
The cd anaolgy was really funny OP, because it describes the Bills as an organization to a T.

They're still operating under a 1979 business model, lol.

yomommabilly
05-15-2010, 11:55 AM
You could never run an NFL camp with just 40 players you know are sound. With a number one D and O, thats 44 right there then add special teams.

Most of these guys are whats called Camp Bodies. In the old days they were called " Tackling Dummys" In todays crappy , no insult anyone world, the term " Camp Body " was inserted.

Its no different then championship boxing. Does the contender spar for 3 months with the guy he is going to fight ? No, sparring partner = same same as camp body. You are also incorrect on the statement of the other teams already knowing what 53 will be on the opening day roster. While they have a good idea of some, nothing is for sure right now, on any team.

DraftBoy
05-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Russ Brandon; Should we resign Peters???

http://www.netpaths.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/magic-8-ball.jpg

billz83
05-17-2010, 06:34 AM
This is the way the bills operate because wilson is the cheapest owner in the NFL..we are constantly salvation army shopping hoping to find that CHEAP diamond in the rough so wilson doesnt have to spend any money..this has been a problem for more then the past decade..sumone close to wilson NEEDS to tell him to stop being such a pathetic cheap owner..