PDA

View Full Version : Maybe this will make you feel better about Maybin

FlyingDutchman
05-14-2010, 02:06 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818130b7&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I like many wanted Orakpo, but since we switched to the 3-4 maybe it will work out in the end. It effing better....

ddaryl
05-14-2010, 02:11 PM
In the end it can work out...

but this was a bad pick up last year with so many other players at positions of need being available who could of started for us almost immediately

FlyingDutchman
05-14-2010, 02:17 PM
yeah missing out on Oher is still a kick in the nuts

Bill Cody
05-14-2010, 02:44 PM
In the end it can work out...

but this was a bad pick up last year with so many other players at positions of need being available who could of started for us almost immediately

The logic of what you're saying escapes me. Pass rush was the highest priority last year. If Maybin turns out to be a good pressure player for us he was a good pick. If he doesn't, he was a bad pick, just that simple. It's not like it really mattered whether he was a beast last year or not, let's say he was, would we have been a playoff team? Er.....no. So who really gives a **** what he did or didn't do last year? If he's productive this year all is well.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-14-2010, 03:14 PM
i think maybins first step on the wide rush along with his strength gain will help him on the pass rush... operating in space will really help him because he will be in a position where his speed and pursuit matters... i think he is perfect for the 34... he reminds me a lot of cornelius bennett...

Mr. Pink
05-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Can't say I'm optimistic about the guy.

Hope he proves me wrong but I thought it was a terrible pick then and just as terrible of a pick now.

psubills62
05-14-2010, 03:36 PM
I have to say, FD, I don't think anything will make people feel better about Maybin until he proves his worth on the field.

BillsOwnAll
05-14-2010, 03:41 PM
dude sucked his rookie year..hes a bust..cut him. Bills suck....

thats pretty much what 90% of this board says. Dont even try to change them it wont work.

ddaryl
05-14-2010, 03:46 PM
The logic of what you're saying escapes me. Pass rush was the highest priority last year. If Maybin turns out to be a good pressure player for us he was a good pick. If he doesn't, he was a bad pick, just that simple. It's not like it really mattered whether he was a beast last year or not, let's say he was, would we have been a playoff team? Er.....no. So who really gives a **** what he did or didn't do last year? If he's productive this year all is well.

How can this basic common sense logic escape you.

last year we needed an immediate impact player at DE or LT

Orakpo and Oher were on the board and both went on to have significant impacts for the teams that drafted them.

instead we picked up a sophmore who was a 1 year wonder who barely could get on the field and when he did get on the field he looked completley out of place. It is this type of drafting decision that has kept the BIlls in the tooilet the last 10 years. You do not make this type of a reach pick when you haven't sniffed the playoffs in a decade and have screaming needs all over your team

How was that difficult to understand.

When your desperate for impact players, and the Bills were you take ther player ready to make that impact. Maybin is not the pick a team liek the Bills needed to make in 2009. Not with Orakpo and Oher sitting there.

Maybin was a mistake even if he does work out in the end. He may end up being a solid player but he should have NEVER been drafted by the Bills at #11 in 2009...

TigerJ
05-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Certainly he's got all kinds of potential. This year will be critical. If he does little this year, it begins to look like he never will amount to much.

Billz_fan
05-14-2010, 04:07 PM

Orakpo and Oher were on the board and both went on to have significant impacts for the teams that drafted them.

instead we picked up a sophmore who was a 1 year wonder who barely could get on the field and when he did get on the field he looked completley out of place. It is this type of drafting decision that has kept the BIlls in the tooilet the last 10 years. You do not make this type of a reach pick when you haven't sniffed the playoffs in a decade and have screaming needs all over your team

When your desperate for impact players, and the Bills were you take ther player ready to make that impact. Maybin is not the pick a team liek the Bills needed to make in 2009. Not with Orakpo and Oher sitting there.

Maybin was a mistake even if he does work out in the end. He may end up being a solid player but he should have NEVER been drafted by the Bills at #11 in 2009...

Absolutely correct ! A player you take at#11 in the draft is someone who can step in and make a difference now,today not next year. Save the projects for the late rounds.

I just hope he turns out ok. Another wasted 1st rounder insn't needed.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Orakpo doesnt have the unique skill set as a pure pass rusher like maybin does... maybins whole problem was power... that wont matter as much with him getting stronger and playing wolb in the 34 rushing the passer... maybin has an electric first step and acceleration off the snap that orakpo doesnt have, thats why maybin was taken ahead of him... once maybin develops counter moves, he will take off... patience is the key... i say this year his talent alone gets him 7-8 sacks... next year i think he becomes all pro!

starrymessenger
05-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Orakpo doesnt have the unique skill set as a pure pass rusher like maybin does... maybins whole problem was power... that wont matter as much with him getting stronger and playing wolb in the 34 rushing the passer... maybin has an electric first step and acceleration off the snap that orakpo doesnt have, thats why maybin was taken ahead of him... once maybin develops counter moves, he will take off... patience is the key... i say this year his talent alone gets him 7-8 sacks... next year i think he becomes all pro!
You don't pick a project player with #11. You pick a player you are confident will contribute immediately, even though you may wind up being wrong about that player (M. Williams).

YardRat
05-14-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm rooting like hell for Maybin to step up, but no way in hell should he be compared to Biscuit.

SquishDaFish
05-14-2010, 04:59 PM

I agree with you 100% BUT that was a mistake by our past regime and it is in the PAST. No need to dwell on it. He is a Bill right now no matter where he came from or what pick he was. If he is going to do something for us now then he will be a good player for us NOW. If he turns into and allpro rushing LB then its a plus for our CURRENT organization PERIOD!

djjimkelly
05-14-2010, 05:08 PM
whether anyone likes it or not he was the pick last year.

he just happens to be a prototype to be the edge rusher we need in a 3-4.

we should all pray for him to pan out.

Mad Bomber
05-14-2010, 06:31 PM
I totally agree....I was SO PISSED when we took Maybin at #11 last year.....

I HOPE he can become a player, but whenever I see or hear the word "Oher" I just want to puke.....

OpIv37
05-14-2010, 07:36 PM

If pass rush was the highest priority last year, we should have taken Orakpo because Maybin didn't help the pass rush at all. Go back and read the threads from before the draft last year- or any pre-draft analysis from last year. EVERYONE said Orakpo was ready now but Maybin had long-term "potential."

So, if the goal with that pick was to fill a PRIORITY need at pass rush as you claim., taking Maybin over Orakpo was just as dumb at the moment as we now know it was in hindsight.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-14-2010, 11:47 PM
If pass rush was the highest priority last year, we should have taken Orakpo because Maybin didn't help the pass rush at all. Go back and read the threads from before the draft last year- or any pre-draft analysis from last year. EVERYONE said Orakpo was ready now but Maybin had long-term "potential."

So, if the goal with that pick was to fill a PRIORITY need at pass rush as you claim., taking Maybin over Orakpo was just as dumb at the moment as we now know it was in hindsight.

Not if maybin turns out to be the better player....

delectrolux
05-15-2010, 12:02 AM

I get the feeling Orakpo would have had just as much success on last year's team as Maybin did. It's not like Jauron and Co. were very good at player development. They wasted proven commodities, why would they have any success with any unproven player.

Maybin was barely put on the field and when he was, he was not put in a position to succeed. Now, maybe he just sucks, and a new system and coach will go a long way towards proving that one way or another – but I think there's absolutely no guarantee that Orakpo would have had any better of a season under the previous staff.

DMBcrew36
05-15-2010, 02:04 AM
dude sucked his rookie year..hes a bust..cut him. Bills suck....

thats pretty much what 90% of this board says. Dont even try to change them it wont work.

You have a point, BUT, much of his criticism is probably fued by what a narcissist he is. I've never seen someone so cocky and arrogant, despite showing so little.

jamze132
05-15-2010, 04:47 AM
i think maybins first step on the wide rush along with his strength gain will help him on the pass rush... operating in space will really help him because he will be in a position where his speed and pursuit matters... i think he is perfect for the 34... he reminds me a lot of cornelius bennett...

I think the cat is out of the bag now. Its obvious this poster is an alias because this sounds nothing like the "wait for poll" kid. :up:

feldspar
05-15-2010, 05:14 AM
Pass rushers are all well and fine...everybody needs them. What the Bills need to do more than anything else on defense is stop the run. They've been TERRIBLE at that for a long time now. I think we were like 30th in the league against the run last year.

I've never felt good about Maybin, especially since his extended holdout pretty much guaranteed he wouldn't contribute last year. The pick itself didn't make sense at the time, but that's not Maybin's fault...just like it wasn't Whitner's fault we picked him 8th overall. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, Maybin hasn't earned a dime by his play. He's probably a much better fit at OLB (just like many of our other DEs), but I'm not buying into the hype until I see it. I think the effort is there, but it takes more than that.

acehole
05-15-2010, 09:21 AM
You don't pick a project player with #11. You pick a player you are confident will contribute immediately, even though you may wind up being wrong about that player (M. Williams).

all draft picks are projects to some degree

Night Train
05-15-2010, 09:29 AM
I wanted Orakpo & Oher also..but what's done is done..

I'm looking forward and hoping the 3-4 switch plays to Maybins skill sets, which looks like it would. I'm not suddenly forgetting his last year at Penn St., when he repeatedly got off the snap like he was shot out of a cannon.

As a standup OLB, he could very well thrive in this D. For me, this is like getting a 2nd 1st round pick, since he's fresh and learning a new D. I can't wait to see him and the other new faces. For once, things actually look promising long term.

TacklingDummy
05-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Considering all the good players that were drafted after Maybin. Maybin may go down as the Bills worst 1st round draft pick the past 20 years.

justasportsfan
05-15-2010, 03:56 PM
As a DE , he's a bust. He can't do anything with someone in his face off the snap. He sucked against the run at the college level and he was never going to cut it in the NFL.

As a lb'er. Who knows ? He'll be playing on an open field so it may suit him but until then. Now one knows.

SquishDaFish
05-16-2010, 07:00 AM
I get the feeling Orakpo would have had just as much success on last year's team as Maybin did. It's not like Jauron and Co. were very good at player development. They wasted proven commodities, why would they have any success with any unproven player.

Maybin was barely put on the field and when he was, he was not put in a position to succeed. Now, maybe he just sucks, and a new system and coach will go a long way towards proving that one way or another – but I think there's absolutely no guarantee that Orakpo would have had any better of a season under the previous staff.

Thats also a GREAT point. How the hell does anyone hear know for sure Orakpo would of done what he did there here in Buffalo?? With dickey as coach I dont FN think so. He would of either never started or been a backup DE on this team. Jauron was a fn moron

TacklingDummy
05-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Good/Great players perform no matter where they are. Bad players don't.

HHURRICANE
05-16-2010, 11:22 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818130b7&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I like many wanted Orakpo, but since we switched to the 3-4 maybe it will work out in the end. It effing better....

I don't feel better. Orakpo was sitting there and we passed. He was by far the biggest slam dunk of the group and we passed.

Look I'm not saying that picking players is easy. I wanted Harvey a few years ago and he's not been very good.

But at the end of the day you pick the best available and that was Orakpo.

Even if Spiller doesn't work out I give the Bills credit for making the right pick this time. The problem is that for the previous 10 years we wasted our 1st and 2nd round picks.

Bill Cody
05-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Considering all the good players that were drafted after Maybin. Maybin may go down as the Bills worst 1st round draft pick the past 20 years.

He might. Or he might not.

Bill Cody
05-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Good/Great players perform no matter where they are. Bad players don't.

I said at the time of the pick the kid was way way way too small to play DE. OLB? Not so much. This Maybin bashing is a bit much.

BillsOwnAll
05-16-2010, 12:32 PM

Mike williams?

Give him more then his rookie year before you label him a bust..nevermind worst pick in 20 years...get real man.

TacklingDummy
05-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Mike williams?

Give him more then his rookie year before you label him a bust..nevermind worst pick in 20 years...get real man.

"May go down"

Doesn't mean he is at the moment.

SquishDaFish
05-16-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't feel better. Orakpo was sitting there and we passed. He was by far the biggest slam dunk of the group and we passed.

Look I'm not saying that picking players is easy. I wanted Harvey a few years ago and he's not been very good.

But at the end of the day you pick the best available and that was Orakpo.

Even if Spiller doesn't work out I give the Bills credit for making the right pick this time. The problem is that for the previous 10 years we wasted our 1st and 2nd round picks.

I agree with most your saying but your on something if you think our 1st and 2nd rounders were waisted over the last 10 years. We had some good picks and without looking it up Ill name a few... BYRD,Levitre (so far so good), Wood(Barring injury he looked damn good), McKelvin (not so bad). Thats just names that pop in my head Im sure there is more.