PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: Boston-Biggest Choke in History?

YardRat
05-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Forked from: Boston (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3236881)

How ironic is this.. down 3-0 in the series.. Philly battles back to make it even. Down 3-0 in game 7 they battle back and win the game 4-3, winning the series 4-3. Epic, just ****ing epic.

Suicides skyrocketed in Boston tonight and all hell just broke loose on the streets of Philadelphia.

Does anything in the history of sports compare?

Ebenezer
05-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Forked from: Boston (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3236881)

Does anything in the history of sports compare?
Toronto Blue Jays losing the division to Detroit in 1987.

The Pittsburgh Pens losing to the Islanders after leading 3-0 in 1977.

hammerbillsfan
05-14-2010, 09:18 PM

:sigh:

Ebenezer
05-14-2010, 09:20 PM
:sigh:
That was so depressing.

YardRat
05-14-2010, 09:25 PM

The Pittsburgh Pens losing to the Islanders after leading 3-0 in 1977.

I think the Pens/Islanders game was '75, and Pittsburgh didn't even score a goal in game 7 let alone lead by 3.

Ebenezer
05-14-2010, 09:27 PM
I think the Pens/Islanders game was '75, and Pittsburgh didn't even score a goal in game 7 let alone lead by 3.
it was 75, you are correct...and i meant 3-0 in games, not in score.

chernobylwraiths
05-14-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm thinking that Yankees collapse against the Red Sox was worse. But in hockey, I think the Maple Leafs winning the Cup after being down 3 - 0 in the finals.

G Wolly
05-14-2010, 10:04 PM
They showed a kid wearing a Bruins jersey crying after the game.

I laughed.

I felt good about it.

Suck it Boston.

The King
05-14-2010, 10:44 PM
It wont be because its hockey and no one gives a **** about hockey.

THATHURMANATOR
05-14-2010, 11:04 PM
So all those bruins fans Where bandwagon *****es??? I knew it!!!!

DMBcrew36
05-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Didn't the Mets choke really, really badly in 2007 or 2008? I remember it being some epic collapse - maybe to miss the playoffs?

YardRat
05-15-2010, 05:23 AM
it was 75, you are correct...and i meant 3-0 in games, not in score.

I know, but that's why I think '10 Boston beats out '75 Pens...the Bruins had a 3-0 lead in Game 7.

I'm staying away from the baseball references because I really haven't followed the sport in years.

YardRat
05-15-2010, 05:24 AM
I'm thinking that Yankees collapse against the Red Sox was worse. But in hockey, I think the Maple Leafs winning the Cup after being down 3 - 0 in the finals.
Good point...the finals adds to the choke-a-tude.

SquishDaFish
05-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Damn just like my football team they know how to make you feel like total ****. Why do I keep following these 2 loser franchises. Its beyond me I must love the heartbreak I dont know

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-15-2010, 07:18 AM
It is a huge choke job, but I like to think the 2004 Yankees are the biggest chokers of all-time.

SabreEleven
05-15-2010, 08:36 AM
It is a huge choke job, but I like to think the 2004 Yankees are the biggest chokers of all-time.

At least the Yankees didn't have a big ass lead in game 7 only to choke it away.

Jan Reimers
05-15-2010, 09:27 AM
I think being ahead 3-0 in the final game, and blowing that too, puts them right up there among the all time monumental chokes.

RockStar36
05-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Damn just like my football team they know how to make you feel like total ****. Why do I keep following these 2 loser franchises. Its beyond me I must love the heartbreak I dont know

Aw buck up camper. There's always next April.

SabreEleven
05-15-2010, 02:23 PM
they only way it could have been better if it was the Red Sucks instead

G Wolly
05-15-2010, 02:36 PM
they only way it could have been better if it was the Red Sucks instead

They have a whole season ahead of them to do that

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-15-2010, 02:44 PM
At least the Yankees didn't have a big ass lead in game 7 only to choke it away.

True, but the lead was after the 1st period.

The Yankees had a three game lead, they won games by 10-7, 3-1, and 19-8. The Yankees had a 4-3 lead going into the 9th inning. The Yankees had the best closer of all-time on the mound. I get it, you are a Yankee fan and your team can't be known as the biggest chokers of all-time, but they are.

psubills62
05-15-2010, 03:46 PM
True, but the lead was after the 1st period.

The Yankees had a three game lead, they won games by 10-7, 3-1, and 19-8. The Yankees had a 4-3 lead going into the 9th inning. The Yankees had the best closer of all-time on the mound. I get it, you are a Yankee fan and your team can't be known as the biggest chokers of all-time, but they are.

Yeah, I think the fact that 2 (or more? can't remember exactly how many) of the games that the Red Sox won were won in the 9th inning makes it a slightly bigger deal. Oh, and the Red Sox going on to win the World Series helped their case too. If Philly flops now, I'm not sure people will consider it as big of a deal.

RockStar36
05-15-2010, 03:57 PM
I don't know. I'm not a Yankee fan and I think this one is worse. Game 7 was in their house, they had a 3-0 lead and STILL lost the game. Losing with that big of a lead is bad enough, but in the final game of a series you've already blown...that's epic.

Ebenezer
05-15-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't know. I'm not a Yankee fan and I think this one is worse. Game 7 was in their house, they had a 3-0 lead and STILL lost the game. Losing with that big of a lead is bad enough, but in the final game of a series you've already blown...that's epic.
this was, by far, the worst choke job in NHL history.

Novacane
05-15-2010, 04:42 PM
This could not have happened to a more arrogant obnoxious fan base than Boston fans. I love it.

Novacane
05-15-2010, 04:43 PM
They showed a kid wearing a Bruins jersey crying after the game.

I laughed.

I felt good about it.

Suck it Boston.

:lmao: You are one mean bastard but I agree with you 100%

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-15-2010, 06:02 PM

Game 7 was in Yankee Stadium and the Red Sox killed them.

Nighthawk
05-15-2010, 06:33 PM

This was by FAR the worst choke job in sports history....of course, the Pats losing going 18-1 is also high up there in my book. God I love it when Boston sports teams (besides the Celtics) suck the big one!

YardRat
05-15-2010, 09:10 PM
http://trueslant.com/jodydiperna/2010/05/15/10-greatest-comebacks-in-sports-history-where-the-flyers-rank/

Meh....Nice to see the Bills make this list (and see Frank Reich on it twice), but I still think the Flyers and Maple Leafs take the top 2 spots.

Dr. Lecter
05-15-2010, 09:13 PM
This could not have happened to a more arrogant obnoxious fan base than Boston fans. I love it.

Except when it happened to the Yankees, the one group of fans that are more arrogant and obnoxious.

Either way it is sweet that two of the biggest chokes ever are the Bruins and Yankees.

SabreEleven
05-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Except when it happened to the Yankees, the one group of fans that are more arrogant and obnoxious.

Either way it is sweet that two of the biggest chokes ever are the Bruins and Yankees.

and your mom.

G Wolly
05-16-2010, 12:14 AM
and your mom.

He already said two and then stated them, so you adding a third doesn't compute.

Yankees fans http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/user_pics/3412-1262291013.gif

Novacane
05-16-2010, 08:04 AM
We already had this discussion. Are there arrogant Yankee fans? Yeah. The anti-yankee crowd just likes to say all Yankee fans are obnoxius cause the Yanks win so much and can spend more than anyone esle. That's not our fault. I loved them when the stunk. Not like "redsox nation" :puke: that came out of the woodwork when the sux finally won. Throw in that most of the sox fans are also pats fans and they are the worst. Hands down.

Novacane
05-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Look no further than our own beastmode. Disapears when his team is not doing well.

Nighthawk
05-16-2010, 09:12 AM
We already had this discussion. Are there arrogant Yankee fans? Yeah. The anti-yankee crowd just likes to say all Yankee fans are obnoxius cause the Yanks win so much and can spend more than anyone esle. That's not our fault. I loved them when the stunk. Not like "redsox nation" :puke: that came out of the woodwork when the sux finally won. Throw in that most of the sox fans are also pats fans and they are the worst. Hands down.

This is so true...all Yankees haters generalize every single yankee fan...it's pretty funny. All I know is that Red Sox fans of the last decade are twice as bad as Yankees fans...and of course, are bandwagon fans...I couldn't believe how many Red Sox "fans" there were after they finally won the World Series. I've been a Yankees fan when they sucked and Mattingly, Barfield, Winfield and the gang patroled the diamond and I continue to be a Yankees fan when they win. IMO, Red Sox fans are far more annoying and obnoxious then Yankees fans.

SkateZilla
05-16-2010, 11:02 AM
3-0 Series Lead and a 3-0 Game 7 Lead, and to choke and lose both 4-3... yeah... definately top 5 all time chokes.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Most of my friends are Yankee fans and we might throw a little fun jab here or there, but I don't consider them to be obnoxious about being a Yankee fan, they are just a fan. I like the Red Sox, I have since I was 11 years old. I don't lose sleep if they lose and I don't jump out of my chair when they win. I would consider myself a "use to be" huge baseball fan, but now I don't really pay a lot of attention to it.

Why do we always try to put down fan bases of other teams, I don't get that. When a team is winning and people follow them, they are band wagoners. When the team is losing the fans are hiding. This is one thing I will never understand. Every team has fans that will come out when the team is winning and not pay attention when they are losing.

JD
05-16-2010, 12:20 PM
AT HOME too! :hockey:

SquishDaFish
05-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Look no further than our own beastmode. Disapears when his team is not doing well.
*** Edited ***

Novacane
05-16-2010, 06:42 PM
PM me your post beastmode. Eb edited it before I got a chance to read it :D

Dr. Lecter
05-16-2010, 07:18 PM
This is so true...all Yankees haters generalize every single yankee fan...it's pretty funny. All I know is that Red Sox fans of the last decade are twice as bad as Yankees fans...and of course, are bandwagon fans...I couldn't believe how many Red Sox "fans" there were after they finally won the World Series. I've been a Yankees fan when they sucked and Mattingly, Barfield, Winfield and the gang patroled the diamond and I continue to be a Yankees fan when they win. IMO, Red Sox fans are far more annoying and obnoxious then Yankees fans.

Not all are like that clearly.

But, in general, Yankee fans are arrogant and obnoxious as hell and act as if the world should worship them.

Red Sox fans are not much better, but are slightly ahead.

Novacane
05-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Not all are like that clearly.

But, in general, Yankee fans are arrogant and obnoxious as hell and act as if the world should worship them.

Red Sox fans are not much better, but are slightly ahead.

Act as if people should worship them? Worship the Yankees or the Yankee fans themselves? You must know some real a-holes cause I don't know any yankee fans like that.

Novacane
05-16-2010, 08:00 PM
I would agree with you a lot of the Yankee fans from the city are like that but that's not because of the Yankees. That is just because a lot of the people from NYC are arrogant obnoxious jerks about everything.

DraftBoy
05-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Act as if people should worship them? Worship the Yankees or the Yankee fans themselves? You must know some real a-holes cause I don't know any yankee fans like that.

Have you read the Sports Bar Zone?

Ebenezer
05-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Living in Buffalo my entire life I can attest to how Yankee fans are...there are times I can't even stand my own kid when he gets on the Yankee-high-horse.

Novacane
05-17-2010, 07:42 AM

All the time. That's fans talking about thier team. Does not seem any differant than the Mets or Braves thread to me. Someone please explain what Dr L means by expecting the world to worship them since he won't explain or back up his statement. I see that as a dumb statement. I could care less if non yankee fans hate the yankees or thier fans.

BlackMetalNinja
05-17-2010, 08:13 AM
All the time. That's fans talking about thier team. Does not seem any differant than the Mets or Braves thread to me. Someone please explain what Dr L means by expecting the world to worship them since he won't explain or back up his statement. I see that as a dumb statement. I could care less if non yankee fans hate the yankees or thier fans.I'm pretty sure he's referring to the team and not the fans themselves. Most of our Yankees posters here have the mentality that no other team is worthy of their presence and the world revolves around the Yankees. Red Sox fans are a close 2nd with this mentality.

All the posters of other teams seem to at least pay attention to what else goes on in the league aside from those two teams.

Forward_Lateral
05-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Buckner's choke job was huge. That has to at least get an honourable mention.

Novacane
05-17-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm pretty sure he's referring to the team and not the fans themselves. Most of our Yankees posters here have the mentality that no other team is worthy of their presence and the world revolves around the Yankees. Red Sox fans are a close 2nd with this mentality.

All the posters of other teams seem to at least pay attention to what else goes on in the league aside from those two teams.

What? Because we don't post in other teams threads we don't pay attention to the rest of MLB? What's so unusual about paying most of your attention to your team? If you don't you probably are not really a diehard fan of that team.

I think the Yankee hate and paranoia is comming through in this thread. I get it. You guys hate the Yankees and see things from a Yankee haters perspective. That's fine. I understant that but when people make dumb ass statements like the Yankees expect everyone to worship them but have nothing to back it up except to say read the sports bar zone. Give me some specific examples or I call bull**** melodrama. That is just posting something stupid and melodramatic to overstate thier opinion. Woe is me. The arrogant Yankee fans expect me to worship their team. :puke: Sounds like my teenage daughter.

Novacane
05-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Buckner's choke job was huge. That has to at least get an honourable mention.

I can be fair. That does not fall into the catagory of the Yankees collapse againt the sox or this bruins series.

RockStar36
05-17-2010, 11:45 AM

Exactly.

Boston had the lead, then blew it. Not to mention a 3-0 lead in hockey is pretty big.

Did the Yankees ever have a lead in Game 7?

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Exactly.

Boston had the lead, then blew it. Not to mention a 3-0 lead in hockey is pretty big.

Did the Yankees ever have a lead in Game 7?

Hey, if you think the Bruins had the biggest choke job in history, all the power to you. I don't think it is and I am sure a majority of people won't agree with you. A 3-0 deficit after the first period in a hockey game isn't like a mountain to climb.

Ground Chuck
05-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Cubs in 85 up 2-0 in the best of 5 against the Padres. Leon Durham has his Bill Buckner moment and the Cubs lose the next 3.

Also Bartman. Lose game 6 then lose game 7 vs. Marlins.

RockStar36
05-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Cubs in 85 up 2-0 in the best of 5 against the Padres. Leon Durham has his Bill Buckner moment and the Cubs lose the next 3.

Also Bartman. Lose game 6 then lose game 7 vs. Marlins.

I'm not into the blaming Bartman thing. When he did that, they didn't immediately lose Game 6. The Cubs still had their chance and then had a whole other chance in Game 7. He's just the scape goat for loser Cubs fans.

The King
05-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Lets not forget that this was not a championship series, and that the Bruins were not expected to do anything in the postseason.

I think both of those things need to be considered when ranking this choke job... It does not surpass the Yankees IMO.

RockStar36
05-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Lets not forget that this was not a championship series, and that the Bruins were not expected to do anything in the postseason.

I think both of those things need to be considered when ranking this choke job... It does not surpass the Yankees IMO.

- Philly was an even lower 7 seed
- Philly had their backup goalie in, after the original backup goalie was injured

These things play a part. I don't think postseason expectations can be measured. Boston beat the division champs so they were expected to beat the 7 seed.

chernobylwraiths
05-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Living in Buffalo my entire life I can attest to how Yankee fans are...there are times I can't even stand my own kid when he gets on the Yankee-high-horse.

You obviously didn't raise him right.

The King
05-17-2010, 01:57 PM
- Philly was an even lower 7 seed
- Philly had their backup goalie in, after the original backup goalie was injured

These things play a part. I don't think postseason expectations can be measured. Boston beat the division champs so they were expected to beat the 7 seed.I am not saying it wasn't a choke job. I am just saying I dont think its the biggest choke job in history.

chernobylwraiths
05-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Hey, if you think the Bruins had the biggest choke job in history, all the power to you. I don't think it is and I am sure a majority of people won't agree with you. A 3-0 deficit after the first period in a hockey game isn't like a mountain to climb.

And it wasn't like it was 3 - 0 deep into the third. It was 3 - 1 after 1 and tied after 2.

Ebenezer
05-17-2010, 05:10 PM
You obviously didn't raise him right.
the first three teams he played for were the Yankees...how do you tell an 8 year old not to root for the team he has three hats and three jerseys from?

Dr. Lecter
05-17-2010, 08:10 PM
What? Because we don't post in other teams threads we don't pay attention to the rest of MLB? What's so unusual about paying most of your attention to your team? If you don't you probably are not really a diehard fan of that team.

I think the Yankee hate and paranoia is comming through in this thread. I get it. You guys hate the Yankees and see things from a Yankee haters perspective. That's fine. I understant that but when people make dumb ass statements like the Yankees expect everyone to worship them but have nothing to back it up except to say read the sports bar zone. Give me some specific examples or I call bull**** melodrama. That is just posting something stupid and melodramatic to overstate thier opinion. Woe is me. The arrogant Yankee fans expect me to worship their team. :puke: Sounds like my teenage daughter.

No, there are a large number of Yankee fans who think all baseball fans should bow to the Yankee organization, especially around here.

The first exhibit is the thread on a pitcher from another team throwing a perfect game and the Yankee fans coming out and whining because the guy had the balls to call out one of the biggest douches in sports, A-Rod.

They are spoiled fans who cry up a storm if they don't get everything their way and hate it when people call out their BS.

(responses in this thread are perfect examples)

Ebenezer
05-17-2010, 08:17 PM
No, there are a large number of Yankee fans who think all baseball fans should bow to the Yankee organization, especially around here.

The first exhibit is the thread on a pitcher from another team throwing a perfect game and the Yankee fans coming out and whining because the guy had the balls to call out one of the biggest douches in sports, A-Rod.

They are spoiled fans who cry up a storm if they don't get everything their way and hate it when people call out their BS.

(responses in this thread are perfect examples)
the response you quoted was the perfect example.

Mr. Pink
05-17-2010, 10:09 PM
This wouldn't even be my top choke in NHL history...

The 1985-86 Oilers losing to the Flames in the playoffs when the game winning goal was scored by Steve Smith in game 7 on his own team would be mine.

Keep in mind the Oilers won their division by 30 points over the 2nd place Flames that year.

JD
05-19-2010, 09:12 PM
This wouldn't even be my top choke in NHL history...

The 1985-86 Oilers losing to the Flames in the playoffs when the game winning goal was scored by Steve Smith in game 7 on his own team would be mine.

Keep in mind the Oilers won their division by 30 points over the 2nd place Flames that year.
That's not a whole team choking. That's one guy making a mistake. This is far more epic imo.

psubills62
05-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Out of curiosity, how many people think the Bruins choking the series away becomes a bigger deal if the Flyers win the Cup?

JD
05-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Out of curiosity, how many people think the Bruins choking the series away becomes a bigger deal if the Flyers win the Cup?
Most definitely, but the West is playing for the Stanley cup right now. The east is playing for 3rd place.