PDA

View Full Version : Bills interested in rugby star

wmoz11
05-15-2010, 12:59 PM
The 23-year-old won the "Golden Boot" award as the best rugby player in the world last year. He likely would just get a tryout, and he seems likely to continue playing rugby for the immediate future.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/15/rugby-star-gets-interest-from-nfl-teams/

ServoBillieves
05-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Bring him in = Championship.

Linebacker/kick returner? Now THAT is a combination.

G Wolly
05-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Bring him in = Championship.

Linebacker/kick returner? Now THAT is a combination.

Wasn't there a TE/LB player last season for the Bears or something?

Night Train
05-15-2010, 03:36 PM
The standard question..

Can he play LT ?

El Guapo
05-15-2010, 03:42 PM
who knows?

Scumbag College
05-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Bring him in!

Demon
05-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Does he have any friends that wanna come too?

BillsWin
05-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Hes no Tim Tebow...

DraftBoy
05-15-2010, 10:58 PM
I see him as a potential H-Back.

BertSquirtgum
05-15-2010, 11:49 PM
i see him as an australian rugby player that won't ever play nfl football

jamze132
05-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Why is the big question.

Billz_fan
05-16-2010, 03:05 AM
Cool, this team needs project players !

Dujek
05-16-2010, 03:25 AM
Rugby League player, which means he's a big girl's blouse.

Rugby Union players might help...

BillsOwnAll
05-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Wasn't there a TE/LB player last season for the Bears or something?

For the packers. I wantd to pick him up in my fantasy league and couldnt cause yahoo had him as a LB.. i was pissed haha.

OpIv37
05-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Rugby League player, which means he's a big girl's blouse.

Rugby Union players might help...
Rugby players won't help because rugby isn't football. And I don't mean that as a knock on rugby players. The NFL is full of the best athletes in the world who have also been playing the game their whole lives. I think the learning curve is too steep for someone who doesn't know the game. That's why sprinters don't make it in the NFL.

I really wish this org would draft better and make better FA signings rather than searching for the needle in the haystack with a good player's brother or a guy who's good at a sport that isn't American football.

Johnny Bugmenot
05-16-2010, 05:37 PM
The NFL is full of the best athletes in the world who have also been playing the game their whole lives. Op, the U.S. has all of 5% of the world's population. I'd venture to guess that about 80% of "the best athletes in the world who have also been playing the game their whole lives" play soccer. We have the fattest athletes in the world, outside of sumo wrestlers... which reflects pretty accurately on American society, come to think of it.

OpIv37
05-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Op, the U.S. has all of 5% of the world's population. I'd venture to guess that about 80% of "the best athletes in the world who have also been playing the game their whole lives" play soccer. We have the fattest athletes in the world, outside of sumo wrestlers... which reflects pretty accurately on American society, come to think of it.
You missed the point. I'm sure there are grat athletes playing other sports in oher countries. But they don't know football. Without that understanding of the game, they will struggle to keep up. There are plenty of great athlete who fail at the NFL, like Brock Lesnar for one.

B-DON
05-16-2010, 07:45 PM
You missed the point. I'm sure there are grat athletes playing other sports in oher countries. But they don't know football. Without that understanding of the game, they will struggle to keep up. There are plenty of great athlete who fail at the NFL, like Brock Lesnar for one.
Antonio gates did ok. I don't see the problem in exploring all options but like always you somehow spin this into a negative against the bills front office. Unbelievable

YardRat
05-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Rugby players won't help because rugby isn't football. And I don't mean that as a knock on rugby players. The NFL is full of the best athletes in the world who have also been playing the game their whole lives. I think the learning curve is too steep for someone who doesn't know the game. That's why sprinters don't make it in the NFL.

I really wish this org would draft better and make better FA signings rather than searching for the needle in the haystack with a good player's brother or a guy who's good at a sport that isn't American football.

Drafting and acquiring FA is pretty close to finding a needle in a haystack anyway.

If they didn't at least look at guys like this, people would ***** because the front office wasn't doing their job. If somebody else does sign him, you'll probably ***** because we didn't identify the talent or were too cheap to pay him, so what's the difference?

OpIv37
05-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Drafting and acquiring FA is pretty close to finding a needle in a haystack anyway.

If they didn't at least look at guys like this, people would ***** because the front office wasn't doing their job. If somebody else does sign him, you'll probably ***** because we didn't identify the talent or were too cheap to pay him, so what's the difference?

Really? Drafting and acquiring FA is pretty close to finding a needle in a haystack? Then explain the Colts, Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys, Eagles, Chargers, etc.

None of those teams are looking at guys like this and no one is complaining, because they draft well enough that they don't have to.

Or, rather than giving the Bills credit for "at least looking" at guys like this, I'd rather hold them accountable for creating a situation where guys who don't know football could even be considered as a possible upgrade.

DraftBoy
05-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Really? Drafting and acquiring FA is pretty close to finding a needle in a haystack? Then explain the Colts, Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys, Eagles, Chargers, etc.

None of those teams are looking at guys like this and no one is complaining, because they draft well enough that they don't have to.

Or, rather than giving the Bills credit for "at least looking" at guys like this, I'd rather hold them accountable for creating a situation where guys who don't know football could even be considered as a possible upgrade.

All those teams have gone through times of struggle nobody can be on top at all the times. They have all had bad drafts, and signed poor FA's, etc.

YardRat
05-16-2010, 09:46 PM

Even Bill Walsh had his Renaldo Nehemiah.

As far as the other teams are mentioned, you really don't have to dig too deep for any of them to find some early round misses...We both know the draft is a crapshoot, regardless of round.

Pop open a brew, relax, and enjoy the ride. OBD isn't exactly scanning the boards and planning their moves based on your opinion. *****ing about a bad call, a bad hire, or a bad pick is one thing but complaining because they're 'looking' is a little bit overboard, even for you.

OpIv37
05-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Even Bill Walsh had his Renaldo Nehemiah.

As far as the other teams are mentioned, you really don't have to dig too deep for any of them to find some early round misses...We both know the draft is a crapshoot, regardless of round.

Pop open a brew, relax, and enjoy the ride. OBD isn't exactly scanning the boards and planning their moves based on your opinion. *****ing about a bad call, a bad hire, or a bad pick is one thing but complaining because they're 'looking' is a little bit overboard, even for you.
I'm complaining because they're even in a position where they HAVE to look. Yes, all those teams have their misses, but they get it right more than they get it wrong. The draft is a crapshoot to some degree, but clearly there is some science behind it cuz some teams are consistently better than others.

The Bills **** it up so many times that they have to look at guys from OTHER SPORTS for potential solutions. And you don't see a problem with this? Really?

billz83
05-17-2010, 06:29 AM

They alwayz look for that needle in the haystack and can NEVER find it..this guy is a rugby player..hes NOT a football player he doesnt know the game or the complexity of plays and i highlyyy doubt this guy is going to be successful in the NFL..the bills need to concentrate on FOOTBALL players that are ALREADY AVAILABLE here and ****** PAY them..wilson gotta stop being a cheap grinch.

DraftBoy
05-17-2010, 07:37 AM
I'm complaining because they're even in a position where they HAVE to look. Yes, all those teams have their misses, but they get it right more than they get it wrong. The draft is a crapshoot to some degree, but clearly there is some science behind it cuz some teams are consistently better than others.

The Bills **** it up so many times that they have to look at guys from OTHER SPORTS for potential solutions. And you don't see a problem with this? Really?

Not one bit, if you don't look at other sports or leagues you miss out on some great players. Kurt Warner, Fred Jackson, Antonio Gates to name a few who took non-traditional paths to the NFL.

You're just *****ing to *****, signing this guy means nothing about the Bills FO.

OpIv37
05-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Not one bit, if you don't look at other sports or leagues you miss out on some great players. Kurt Warner, Fred Jackson, Antonio Gates to name a few who took non-traditional paths to the NFL.

You're just *****ing to *****, signing this guy means nothing about the Bills FO.

Yeah, it really does. It means the team is so bad we have to consider guys who play OTHER SPORTS as potential solutions.

And when the team has been this bad and this poorly managed, there is no such thing as *****ing just to *****. This team has not earned, and does not deserve, the benefit of the doubt. Every single thing they do should be questioned until they demonstrate at least a sliver of competence.

Jan Reimers
05-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Yeah, it really does. It means the team is so bad we have to consider guys who play OTHER SPORTS as potential solutions.

And when the team has been this bad and this poorly managed, there is no such thing as *****ing just to *****. This team has not earned, and does not deserve, the benefit of the doubt. Every single thing they do should be questioned until they demonstrate at least a sliver of competence.
Op, you have repeated this in about 5,000 posts now. We understand your argument.

With regard to this specific thread, there have been several players from OTHER SPORTS to have had successful NFL careers, including basketball players, track stars, Austrailian Rules football players, and others.

So in this case, I join DB and others in calling you for *****ing just for its own sake. You have added nothing to this thread.

OpIv37
05-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Op, you have repeated this in about 5,000 posts now. We understand your argument.

With regard to this specific thread, there have been several players from OTHER SPORTS to have had successful NFL careers, including basketball players, track stars, Austrailian Rules football players, and others.

So in this case, I join DB and others in calling you for *****ing just for its own sake. You have added nothing to this thread.

No, people don't understand my argument because they continue to defend the FO and continue to give the FO the benefit of the doubt and continue to believe that things have changed when they haven't.

And once again, it's the BZ mantra of using the exception to prove the rule. Every time the Bills do something stupid like draft a 5'6" WR or a 240 lb DE or desperately look at athletes from other sports or hires a retread coach who failed with other teams, everyone on here finds the one or two examples where it worked out while ignoring dozens, or even hundreds that failed. It CAN happen but chances are it WON'T.

The other problem is that the rest of the league addresses holes properly through FA or the draft. We don't, so we have to rely on retreads or undersized guys or other team's rejects or guys from other sports. It's one thing to build a team then take a chance one of these guys when there is nothing to lose. It's another thing to take a chance on guys like this hoping it's going to build a team, which is what the Bills do and which is why they always fail.

Have you watched the games over the last 10 years? Have you seen who we've drafted? Who we've hired as coaches? Who the FA's we've signed are? Again, there is no such thing as *****ing just to *****. This org and this FA do not deserve any benefit of the doubt.

DraftBoy
05-17-2010, 10:35 AM
No, people don't understand my argument because they continue to defend the FO and continue to give the FO the benefit of the doubt and continue to believe that things have changed when they haven't.

And once again, it's the BZ mantra of using the exception to prove the rule. Every time the Bills do something stupid like draft a 5'6" WR or a 240 lb DE or desperately look at athletes from other sports or hires a retread coach who failed with other teams, everyone on here finds the one or two examples where it worked out while ignoring dozens, or even hundreds that failed. It CAN happen but chances are it WON'T.

The other problem is that the rest of the league addresses holes properly through FA or the draft. We don't, so we have to rely on retreads or undersized guys or other team's rejects or guys from other sports. It's one thing to build a team then take a chance one of these guys when there is nothing to lose. It's another thing to take a chance on guys like this hoping it's going to build a team, which is what the Bills do and which is why they always fail.

Have you watched the games over the last 10 years? Have you seen who we've drafted? Who we've hired as coaches? Who the FA's we've signed are? Again, there is no such thing as *****ing just to *****. This org and this FA do not deserve any benefit of the doubt.

Oh for god sake, stop sniffing you're own bull**** for once. We get you're argument you operate as if the bills sucking is a never ending constant therefor everything they do you have the right to bash and when they prove you wrong, you can be pleasantly surprised. Its not that ****ing complicated, a ****ing 6 year old can figure out what debate tactics you use over and over again.

B-DON
05-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Op you do realize we aren't the only team looking at this guy right? Of course you didn't cuz ur hatred for this team always takes over any rational thinking

OpIv37
05-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Oh for god sake, stop sniffing you're own bull**** for once. We get you're argument you operate as if the bills sucking is a never ending constant therefor everything they do you have the right to bash and when they prove you wrong, you can be pleasantly surprised. Its not that ****ing complicated, a ****ing 6 year old can figure out what debate tactics you use over and over again.

The Bills sucking HAS been a constant for the last 10 years. I didn't make that up. Why would any reasonable person expect that to change until they prove it?

I came across an interesting quote from JFK that seems to apply to the mentality of a lot of people around here:

Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought

OpIv37
05-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Op you do realize we aren't the only team looking at this guy right? Of course you didn't cuz ur hatred for this team always takes over any rational thinking

the article mentioned ONE other team- the Broncos- who aren't exactly a model of how a team should be run either.

Yeah, I hate the team.... I hate the team so much that I have my entire basement decked out in Bills stuff, I spend all my time on a Bills message board and I spend $300+ a year just so I can watch every second of every game on TV.

The reality is just the opposite. I'm willing to step back from my personal feelings about the team and look at it objectively, whereas others on this board enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.

mayotm
05-17-2010, 11:11 AM
the article mentioned ONE other team- the Broncos- who aren't exactly a model of how a team should be run either.

Yeah, I hate the team.... I hate the team so much that I have my entire basement decked out in Bills stuff, I spend all my time on a Bills message board and I spend $300+ a year just so I can watch every second of every game on TV.

The reality is just the opposite. I'm willing to step back from my personal feelings about the team and look at it objectively, whereas others on this board enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.Everybody that is a fan is disappointed in the past ten years. However, many of us choose to handle it differently than you do. In your mind, anybody that doesn't constantly ***** and complain about everything the Bills do is uninformed or ignorant. I unconditionally support the Bills. It certainly doesn't mean that I agree with all of their decisions. Every year is a new year. I'm heading into the season with hope. I'll probably end up being disappointed, but the day I no longer have any hope is the day I'll stop being a fan. Now feel free to tell how uninformed and / or ignorant I am for feeling the way that I do.

B-DON
05-17-2010, 11:12 AM

The reality is just the opposite. I'm willing to step back from my personal feelings about the team and look at it objectively, whereas others on this board enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
NFL teams including the Broncos and Bills
It says including bills and broncos, not just these two teams

ChristopherWalken
05-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Well I'm convinced...fire the lot of 'em and start again.

DraftBoy
05-17-2010, 11:18 AM
The Bills sucking HAS been a constant for the last 10 years. I didn't make that up. Why would any reasonable person expect that to change until they prove it?

I came across an interesting quote from JFK that seems to apply to the mentality of a lot of people around here:

I do love that you brought quotes into this discussion, here's a couple from the famous Greek Philosopher Heracitus;

Everything flows, nothing stands still.

Nothing endures but change.

You can't name me one thing in life that will never change in any way. To expect this team to never get any better, is idiotic and you know that.

OpIv37
05-17-2010, 11:42 AM
I do love that you brought quotes into this discussion, here's a couple from the famous Greek Philosopher Heracitus;

You can't name me one thing in life that will never change in any way. To expect this team to never get any better, is idiotic and you know that.

To expect this team to never get any better as long as Ralph is in charge is perfectly reasonable. He's been the one constant through all this team's struggles. It's total organizational failure and it won't change until he isn't in charge anymore.

DraftBoy
05-17-2010, 11:43 AM
To expect this team to never get any better as long as Ralph is in charge is perfectly reasonable. He's been the one constant through all this team's struggles. It's total organizational failure and it won't change until he isn't in charge anymore.

Yes that makes perfect logical sense since Ralph was not the owner through our SB runs...wait a minute...

OpIv37
05-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Yes that makes perfect logical sense since Ralph was not the owner through our SB runs...wait a minute...

remember what you just said about change? The league changed and Ralph didn't change with it.

DraftBoy
05-17-2010, 11:51 AM
remember what you just said about change? The league changed and Ralph didn't change with it.

We used to operate in a cash to cap philosophy? Or whatever uber ******ed system they call it.

Don't say we didn't change because that's a lie. Did we make the correct changes? No, but to saw we didn't is wrong.

OpIv37
05-17-2010, 11:53 AM
We used to operate in a cash to cap philosophy? Or whatever uber ******ed system they call it.

Don't say we didn't change because that's a lie. Did we make the correct changes? No, but to saw we didn't is wrong.

Ralph is still in charge.
Russ Brandon is still here.
Tom Modrak is still here
Jim Overdorf is still here.

We made token changes at GM and coach to appease the fan base but the puppet masters are still the same.

DraftBoy
05-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Ralph is still in charge.
Russ Brandon is still here.
Tom Modrak is still here
Jim Overdorf is still here.

We made token changes at GM and coach to appease the fan base but the puppet masters are still the same.

Bringing in a new GM is no change you are right. Taking all of Brandon's football operations power away is also no change, again obviously correct.

Overdorf was never an issue. Modrak is hit or miss with me.

Again we have made plenty of change, just because you don't like them doesn't mean they havent happened.

OpIv37
05-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Bringing in a new GM is no change you are right. Taking all of Brandon's football operations power away is also no change, again obviously correct.

Overdorf was never an issue. Modrak is hit or miss with me.

Again we have made plenty of change, just because you don't like them doesn't mean they havent happened.

they're not real changes. They're token changes. The heart of the problem- the organizational failure- is what needs to change, but Ralph is unwilling to do what needs to be done.

Want another quote:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

It may not look like the same thing to you, but in reality, it's the same thing and it will yield the same results.

B-DON
05-17-2010, 03:42 PM
they're not real changes. They're token changes. The heart of the problem- the organizational failure- is what needs to change, but Ralph is unwilling to do what needs to be done.

Want another quote:

It may not look like the same thing to you, but in reality, it's the same thing and it will yield the same results.
Well it may look the same to you op but in reality it isn't. I'm glad you can see in to the future and know that we will never be good again. Saved me a lot of wasted sundays rooting for this team. Thanks Op

Bill Cody
05-17-2010, 03:58 PM

One of the Patriots starting guards is Stephen Neal who was a wrestler in college, never even played college football. He's been a starter for them for 6 years.

OpIv37
05-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Well it may look the same to you op but in reality it isn't. I'm glad you can see in to the future and know that we will never be good again. Saved me a lot of wasted sundays rooting for this team. Thanks Op

In reality, it IS the same. Do I need to retype the quote about the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought?

As far as not rooting for this team, you must not be a real fan. I've been as down on this team as anyone but I still watch every second of every game and root for them to win.

OpIv37
05-17-2010, 09:20 PM
One of the Patriots starting guards is Stephen Neal who was a wrestler in college, never even played college football. He's been a starter for them for 6 years.

again, exception to prove the rule...

Mr. Pink
05-18-2010, 06:28 AM
We need a WR to stretch the field...

Call up Usain Bolt stat!

Bill Cody
05-18-2010, 09:54 AM
again, exception to prove the rule...

How do you think NE found that diamond in the rough? By not turning over all the rocks? Face it you're WRONG. You said NE doesn't have to check all the longshots because they draft so well. Actually those two things are not mutually exclusive. You can work you ass off and check out every lead no matter how unlikely AND draft well. To me, checking out the rugby star shows me we're leaving no stone unturned. Only you could spin that into a bad thing.

Johnny Bugmenot
05-18-2010, 10:03 AM
For the record:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_players_who_have_converted_from_one_football_code_to_another

OpIv37
05-18-2010, 10:30 AM
How do you think NE found that diamond in the rough? By not turning over all the rocks? Face it you're WRONG. You said NE doesn't have to check all the longshots because they draft so well. Actually those two things are not mutually exclusive. You can work you ass off and check out every lead no matter how unlikely AND draft well. To me, checking out the rugby star shows me we're leaving no stone unturned. Only you could spin that into a bad thing.

Here's the problem: we DON'T do the first part well.

So, say this guy is the diamond in the rough and he turns out to be a decent TE/LB combo. Well, the rest of our team is still **** so what difference does it make? The Patriots draft well and use guys like this to put them over the top. We count on long shots like this because we can't draft or sign FA's to save our lives.

NE doesn't HAVE to check longshots, but they can if they want. We HAVE to check longshots, because it's our only desperate chance at success.

Bill Cody
05-18-2010, 12:25 PM

So, say this guy is the diamond in the rough and he turns out to be a decent TE/LB combo. Well, the rest of our team is still **** so what difference does it make? The Patriots draft well and use guys like this to put them over the top. We count on long shots like this because we can't draft or sign FA's to save our lives.

NE doesn't HAVE to check longshots, but they can if they want. We HAVE to check longshots, because it's our only desperate chance at success.

Let's wait and see on the "can't draft" stuff, shall we? I for one and not going to hang the sins of the past on Buddy Nix. And the idea that we're "counting" on the rugby guy is just silly. Don't forget NE wasn't always good. They built a good organization from the ground up. It can be done. You don't attract FA's until you've proven you know what you're doing. Nix needs to be given a chance to show that so let's be fair.

better days
05-18-2010, 01:08 PM

Despite what the socalled experts say, the Pats have not drafted well for a few years now. Sure they keep acquiring picks, but they don't use those picks well. With Pioli gone, I expect the Pats drafts to continue to be mediocre.

OpIv37
05-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Despite what the socalled experts say, the Pats have not drafted well for a few years now. Sure they keep acquiring picks, but they don't use those picks well. With Pioli gone, I expect the Pats drafts to continue to be mediocre.

well mediocre drafts still have them winning the division more often than not. I'd love for the Bills to be that kind of "mediocre".

better days
05-18-2010, 01:54 PM
well mediocre drafts still have them winning the division more often than not. I'd love for the Bills to be that kind of "mediocre".

They WERE winning the division with players that were on the team when they drafted well. Those players are now old, & some are on other teams while some have retired.

The Pats look like the post Super Bowl Bills, they are in quick decline. The Jets, & Fins have caught up to them & the Bills will soon.