PDA

View Full Version : Armchair Bills analysts overdose on despair

Yasgur's Farm
05-16-2010, 07:40 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/05/1...-analysts.html (http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/05/15/1051642/felser-armchair-bills-analysts.html)

The brigade remains hysterical over whom the Bills didn't select in last month's NFL draft and in permanent gloom over the Sabres losing to Boston in Round One...

...Meanwhile, let's stop disturbing the majority of this town's sports fans, the ones for whom there is joy in possibility.

ddaryl
05-16-2010, 08:15 AM
It definitely deserves to be said...

however the gloom comes from seeing the same depressing outcomes year after year, and it eventually eats at us all.

DMBcrew36
05-16-2010, 08:19 AM
however the gloom comes from seeing the same depressing outcomes year after year, and it eventually eats at us all.

Yep - the franchise deserves ZERO benefit of doubt.

Novacane
05-16-2010, 08:35 AM
They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt but they also do not deserve to be critisized for not taking Clausen. All the other teams that needed a QB passed on
him yet the Bills are the ones that are idiots for doing it? That they did not take him
gives me more hope for this organization.

Night Train
05-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Having watched the team since 1965, my recollection is the Bills have been a bad team to watch 2/3rds of the time and are on a 10 year bad streak. Old fans die and are usually replaced by youth... but you don't win over a young fan base by consistently losing and you lose many of the old guard in the process.

I'm in the " show me " camp but will give this new administration a fair chance. They are trying to overcome an aging, out of touch owner and have made some interesting moves this off-season.

Bring on camp so I can see progress.

DraftBoy
05-16-2010, 09:07 AM
As a fellow amateur scout I was one of the ones that did not want Clausen, I didnt think he was worth as much as other QB's and that was validated on Draft Weekend. I have no illusions about our current QB situation...It blows.

But Im hopeful that with another year or two we will find our LT and QB of the future and continue moving forward. I know this is not a one year or even two year process but I feel as though with Nix and this last draft class we are taking positive steps forward.

ParanoidAndroid
05-16-2010, 09:27 AM
When I'm actually proud to wear my Bills attire outside of a Bills backers bar and I'm not catching tons of s*** for it, then I'll be less grouchy about Bills football.

SABURZFAN
05-16-2010, 09:34 AM
as of now, i don't feel despair. despair was the 3 year extension that Jauron got. he's gone and some players will be gone. i like some players they drafted and feel they signed some decent players who weren't drafted. the FA signing period went as expected, though i didn't care for the players of interest they had in the beginning. it appears that we're going to toil with the QB's we have but that was sort of expected. i'm just hoping that the fuse of young players can bring excitement back to our team. this is something that we haven't had in years.

Yasgur's Farm
05-16-2010, 09:35 AM
My beef with the constant neggies is that they don't want any fan to have the "joy in possibility".

YardRat
05-16-2010, 09:57 AM
There will always be a negative sector that prefers to concentrate on the cons over the pros, probably even if/when the team ever succeeds in winning a Super Bowl.

Even during the run of the late '80's early '90's Jerry Sullivan was a dick (Polian told him to "get outta town" if I remember correctly), there was a faction of fans that wanted Frank Reich over Jim Kelly, and Dickerson made a short career out of bashing the team (true, he had an axe to grind, but his forum was effective--see Glenn Parker).

jamze132
05-16-2010, 10:06 AM
All it will take is a winning season and everyone will be super excited. I am already excited about what the future holds as I will give the new regime some room to operate before I Jauron them. Of course I totally expect to be drafting in the top 10 in 2011 but I also expect a nice leap in the standings and meaninful games in december that year too.

Yasgur's Farm
05-16-2010, 11:26 AM
There will always be a negative sector that prefers to concentrate on the cons over the pros, probably even if/when the team ever succeeds in winning a Super Bowl.

Even during the run of the late '80's early '90's Jerry Sullivan was a dick (Polian told him to "get outta town" if I remember correctly), there was a faction of fans that wanted Frank Reich over Jim Kelly, and Dickerson made a short career out of bashing the team (true, he had an axe to grind, but his forum was effective--see Glenn Parker).Excellent points... I have no problem wth people being negative... It's when those people insist that I join them that I take issue.

OpIv37
05-16-2010, 01:03 PM

oh please. NO ONE prefers to concentrate on the cons. The reality is that the cons have far outweighed the pros over the last decade, and some of us are not afraid to admit that. Those who you accuse of concentrating ok the cons have predicted far more accurately than those who concentrate on the pros.

Anything is possible in sports, but not all possibilities are equally likely. Those who find "joy in possibility" discount the cons while concentrating on the pros, so in their own minds the possibility is greatly increased over the reality.

For the record, Im glad we didn't take Clausen and I don't think he would solve this team's problems. But there are more than enough other legit reasons for despair.

BillsWin
05-16-2010, 01:12 PM
I have hope!

For next year...

I understand that hoping for a complete turnaround this season is down right insane.

But, I think hoping to be more competitive and fun to watch this season isn't much to ask for. Football under Jauron was almost painful to watch. Get me excited about Bills football again.

I think if we are competitive this season, and we grow game by game and our young players show promise and a grasping of the NFL game, and we have a good draft next season.... Well, then I think we have ourselves a chance ladies and gentlemen. A chance at the playoffs and a chance at revitalizing a depressed fanbase.

Let's go Buffalo. Show me, don't tell me. Just get 'r done!

Saratoga Slim
05-17-2010, 08:01 AM
But, I think hoping to be more competitive and fun to watch this season isn't much to ask for. Football under Jauron was almost painful to watch. Get me excited about Bills football again.

My prediction is that this year we go from having an average defense and one of the league's worst offenses, to having an average offense and a slightly below average defense.

I think the 2010 W/L column is going to be about the same or maybe a little worse than last year, but I think our struggles are mostly going to be the result of the transition to a 3-4. And, I think having even an average offense is going to mean that it's a much more watchable product. That's something that I'm excited about - even if 2010 is probably not yet our time to see playoff football.