PDA

View Full Version : How good was Edwards in 2008? Really?

BillsWin
05-16-2010, 02:22 PM
I wasn't really impressed watching the games in his 5-1 start (tech 5-0 in games he finished). Even in his comebacks he made throws he should have made. A few good tosses here and there, but he wasn't as "amazing" as some fans think he was.

Although, looking at the stats, he sure as hell wasn't awful.

69.92% accuracy in his 5 wins.

1,191 yards. 8.2 yards per attempt (Not bad)

5 touchdowns 2 interceptions.

If he had continued this pace for 16 games, Trent would have posted:

3,811 yards 16 touchdowns 6 interceptions

So maybe I stand corrected. All this time I thought he looked alright, but was nothing special.

Maybe that is all we need with a good running game/defense.

Is there any way he can return to this form? or maybe improve slightly on these numbers? 70% accuracy is nice. Especially when he is completing passes of an average of 8.2 yards an attempt.

Now, this season in his first five games Edwards regressed. A lot.

58.04% accuracy. Only a 6.54 average per attempt only 942 yards, 5 touchdowns, 6 interceptions.

Was this the offensive scheme? The lack of a competent offensive coordinator? An awful offensive line? Or was this Trent?

I am now conflicted. I don't like Trent. I don't think he has what it takes, but if Gailey is the guy to fix Trent, then maybe we won't be so bad off this season as everyone thinks.

What is everyone's opinion on Edwards? I'm not so sure of my own opinions anymore.

B-DON
05-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Not saying trents a stud by any means, but to judge anyones game from last year is just ridiculous. A ****ty coach and a new offensive coordinator one week before the season equals disaster for any qb not named manning or Brady

SquishDaFish
05-16-2010, 02:57 PM
I dont want to think badly about anyone until I see what they do with the new regime. Jauron ruined everyone on this team. He didnt know his ass from his elbow then the OC change. Who knows

SABURZFAN
05-16-2010, 02:58 PM
if the Bills can get a LT that is sufficient enough to protect his blindside, there shouldn't be any excuse why he can't have a career year.

B-DON
05-16-2010, 03:04 PM
if the Bills can get a LT that is sufficient enough to protect his blindside, there shouldn't be any excuse why he can't have a career year.
A career year shouldn't be to difficult with his below avg stats. If he doesn't have a career year his ass is gone.

Night Train
05-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Good caretaker QB until the Cards game.

After that, good for nothing.

mrbojanglezs
05-16-2010, 03:53 PM
even if he does ok this year, idk if i want the bills to keep him....he is too injury prone and he is one concussion away from being a vegetable

justasportsfan
05-16-2010, 03:56 PM
I thught he was very fundamenaly sound running conservative schemes. BUt when teams figured out our schemes, Trent was screwed. He was too raw/inexperienced to carry this team and the coaches didn't know how to play chess with the big boys. Teams were throwing looks at him he never saw before and the coaches didn't know how to adjust.

DraftBoy
05-16-2010, 04:20 PM
He doesnt have it mentally.

dasaybz
05-16-2010, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't have it mentally either if my OC got fired 1 week before the season and then my QB coach turned into the OC and my head coach is a complete imbecile.

YardRat
05-16-2010, 05:11 PM
His development has been stunted and his confidence is shot. It's possible to overcome the first and rebuild the second, but it's going to take a helluva lot of work and a few breaks.

acehole
05-16-2010, 06:18 PM

Except for this really really good excuse that we are not allowed to use via Philagape and the rest of guys with man crushes on trend .:lmao:

and whos career?

Because even J Russle had a career.

ServoBillieves
05-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Levibrownformvp?

sdbillsfan2
05-16-2010, 06:43 PM
No history of success at any level, no physical durability, hasn't show any leadership ability, has lost the confidence of his team mates, plays like a deer caught in the head lights. and check down .Will some one please tell me how the best o line could even help this waste ?
I'm serious when I say ,the only Qb worse then TE at this time for the Bills could be JaCarcus Muscle head.
We might be stuck with TE this year, but his history at the end of this contract.

Time to make changes ....NOT EXCUSES!

B-DON
05-16-2010, 07:40 PM
No history of success at any level, no physical durability, hasn't show any leadership ability, has lost the confidence of his team mates, plays like a deer caught in the head lights. and check down .Will some one please tell me how the best o line could even help this waste ?
I'm serious when I say ,the only Qb worse then TE at this time for the Bills could be JaCarcus Muscle head.
We might be stuck with TE this year, but his history at the end of this contract.

Your post is a joke if you think Trent is the worst qb on this roster. Do u even watch football?

sdbillsfan2
05-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Your post is a joke if you think Trent is the worst qb on this roster. Do u even watch football?

I'm advocating change ..and yes He sucks ! If you actually think this team can ever win with him,. Your only fooling yourself. You show me where he's ever won, tell us the last time you heard a teammate rally behind him ,and do a little research and you'll see his inability to stay healthy . I didn't name him Capt checkdown...so everyone else is wrong too?

dasaybz
05-16-2010, 07:52 PM
He did show a stretch of winning a couple of years ago. I know, it's not a full season, but in the NFL, they hang their hat on any type of production.

I guarantee you that if the Bills cut him, he'd find a home somewhere else as a decent backup with some upside.

B-DON
05-16-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm advocating change ..and yes He sucks ! If you actually think this team can ever win with him,. Your only fooling yourself. You show me where he's ever won, tell us the last time you heard a teammate rally behind him ,and do a little research and you'll see his inability to stay healthy . I didn't name him Capt checkdown...so everyone else is wrong too?
I never once said Trent would be successful anywhere in my post. You should try reading it again. I simply pointed out your idiotic statement claiming Edwards is the worst qb available to the bills thus leading me to believe you don't watch football which is pretty obvious if you think fitz, brohm, or brown are better than Edwards.

B-DON
05-16-2010, 07:58 PM
He did show a stretch of winning a couple of years ago. I know, it's not a full season, but in the NFL, they hang their hat on any type of production.

I guarantee you that if the Bills cut him, he'd find a home somewhere else as a decent backup with some upside.
Exactly, if brohm or fitz get cut they will more than likely be watching football on sundays from their couch like the rest of us

sdbillsfan2
05-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Where have I mentioned fitz, or BB ? Lol ..give it up my friend... Trent's track record going back to Stanford is he's a maybe at best.. The Bills would be poorly served by investing more time with him . If he's worth anything , trade his ass today.. oh wait ..nobody wants him as evidenced pre/post draft.

B-DON
05-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Where have I mentioned fitz, or BB ? Lol ..give it up my friend... Trent's track record going back to Stanford is he's a maybe at best.. The Bills would be poorly served by investing more time with him . If he's worth anything , trade his ass today.. oh wait ..nobody wants him as evidenced pre/post draft.
Lol. You have no clue. Evidenced by what? And you mentioned the qb's on this roster which happen to include FITZ an BROHM genius. Wow you should really check out a game before you come posting skooby type statements.

B-DON
05-16-2010, 08:12 PM

That's where you imply fitz and brohm are better than Trent. I certainly encourage you to try again.

Michael82
05-17-2010, 12:26 AM
He may turn out to be a pretty good QB someday. BUT...It won't be in Buffalo. I'm sorry...I'm done getting my hopes up with his potential. He's mentally shot and looked lost out there. Sure the situation was terrible last year, but Fitzpatrick is a crappier QB and was able to do more. I don't feel that he has the ability to gain confidence from his teammates here anymore and I don't think he will be here after training camp. Oh and don't forget his injuries. He's more injury prone than Rob Johnson. He's like a ****ing China doll and was like that in college too.

Sorry...but for me the Trent Edwards era is over with. For both parties, It's best to cut bait.

Mindbender
05-17-2010, 09:13 AM
I think this is the last season for Trent to show what he's got. I think he can do it and I'm rooting for him. Let's see who wins the QB competition.

B-DON
05-17-2010, 09:25 AM
I find it funny that everyone on here knows what's going on in trents head.

Philagape
05-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Regardless of the competition, he showed qualities in early 2008 that suggested he could be a winning starter. He showed poise in adversity, good decision-making, and accuracy when it counted the most, in the fourth quarter. Better to do it then than the other way around. He was clutch, and the results were victories.
I'll remember for a long time the TD to Parrish against the Raiders, a difficult pass when he was about to be clobbered; and the 37-yard corner pass to Evans against the Jags, a play in which he sidestepped the rush.

And then came The Hit.

Whatever it did to him, it left him unable to adequately function. It's sad, because it messed him up, but it's still his responsibility to recover mentally from it, which he hasn't yet and may never. It's very frustrating because the only way to test it is in live action; he may look good in camp and preseason and then fall back to pieces when it's live ammo fired at him. So it won't mean much if he wins the competition; talent alone may do that, but if he doesn't have the mental toughness to carry that over when it counts, then he's done. Right now there's no reason to believe he has that toughness. I think he deserves one last chance with a new staff to test that, but if he can't perform this season, it's over and he can never be trusted.

mightysimi
05-17-2010, 10:07 AM
I think he plays not to lose as opposed to trying to win. That's why he won't make a tough throw downfield and check it down IMO. This is no recipe for success. Fitz is clearly not the answer and Brohm has yet to get his ***** together so if he can get back to early 08, we could be alright but I'm not holding my breath.

TheBrownBear
05-17-2010, 03:53 PM
He looked like a quality NFL starter with the potential for maybe greater things until that Cardinals game. Since then, other than the SD, KC and NE Monday nighter, he's looked like absolute garbage. I don't think he has the mental toughness to turn it around, just imo.

Bill Cody
05-17-2010, 04:27 PM
He looked like a quality NFL starter with the potential for maybe greater things until that Cardinals game. Since then, other than the SD, KC and NE Monday nighter, he's looked like absolute garbage. I don't think he has the mental toughness to turn it around, just imo.

He got his bell rung pretty good and he hasn't been the same since. A QB that "sees" the rush is useless. Now our OL can lead to that feeling but it doesn't change the fact that Trent has been a pile of steaming fertilizer since the injury. Can he return to form? I've seen it happen with an extended break, which he's had. <shrug>

acehole
05-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Trent reminds me of todd collins. smart ok physically....but just not a "football" player.may never be....u r or u r ent.

He may turn out to be a pretty good QB someday. BUT...It won't be in Buffalo. I'm sorry...I'm done getting my hopes up with his potential. He's mentally shot and looked lost out there. Sure the situation was terrible last year, but Fitzpatrick is a crappier QB and was able to do more. I don't feel that he has the ability to gain confidence from his teammates here anymore and I don't think he will be here after training camp. Oh and don't forget his injuries. He's more injury prone than Rob Johnson. He's like a ****ing China doll and was like that in college too.

Sorry...but for me the Trent Edwards era is over with. For both parties, It's best to cut bait.

billz83
05-19-2010, 03:41 AM
he needs to go see tony robbins or marshall sylver..

acehole
05-27-2010, 11:04 AM

When I pointed these things out before he ever took a snap in the nfl I was slammed more then sabz mom at a rap concert.

He is just not a football player..on top of that he is acting like a douche with the Jim Kelly situation....he is what I said he is...a "trend" now that trend is over....Like j Kelly said he had his 3 years...The comparisons to Joe Montana have quieted a bit I see. I also see the excuses pile up like I see for the last 4 guys we had...that are ok to use now and not before. If you could coach a set of nutz he would be fine....but you can't unfortunately for Trent.

justasportsfan
05-27-2010, 12:17 PM
another qb ruined by Dick "The QB Killer" Jauron .

I really hope Chan is as good as advertised when they say his system is qb friendly

billz83
05-27-2010, 04:33 PM
them 5 wins came against sum GARBAGE *** teams...and straight up i talk **** bout captain checkdown as much as the next guy but he has had 4 different OC since hes been in buffalo and most already know what usually happens with circumstances like that..wit that said he needs to grow sum balls..man up and just play football and stop bein so scaredddddddd..