PDA

View Full Version : WR Jones has one more street to cross

The Spaz
05-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Players that reach the NFL level have crossed a lot of bridges to get there. Bills running back Fred Jackson played Division III ball in college, played in an indoor league and NFL Europe before cracking an NFL roster. George Wilson went undrafted, toiled for two years on practice squads and then switched from receiver to safety to make the 53-man squad. For Bills college free agent Donald Jones, he’s just four years removed from crossing the street.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/WR-Jones-has-one-more-street-to-cross/56de3939-c889-4229-a32d-49fc512c691d

The Spaz
05-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Jones was the mystery WR

Bills college free agent WR Donald Jones was indirectly part of Buffalo’s draft last month.

When the Bills drafted WR Marcus Easley in the fourth round, team scout Tom Roth explained how they felt in addition to all of Easley’s receiving skills they thought he was one of the best blocking receivers in the draft. Here’s exactly what Roth said on day two of the draft after Easley was selected.

“He’s a real good blocker so he’s got that mentality,” said Roth of Easley. ”DeMaryius Thomas who I scouted at Georgia Tech is an excellent blocker, Marcus is and there’s one other guy that hasn’t been picked yet.”

That “one other guy” was Donald Jones according to Roth.

“He’s similar to Easley,” said Roth. ”He’s not as fast on film. He ran a 4.49 at the combine, but he’s very strong. He has strong hands, strong blocker. I couldn’t believe he didn’t get drafted.”

The fact that he didn’t could prove to be a very big benefit to Buffalo’s receiving corps.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/05/19/jones-was-the-mystery-wr/

ZAZusmc03
05-19-2010, 09:43 AM
I think this just reemphasizes the fact that our offense will be a smash mouth running o. I can see our passing plays being to rb's out of the backfield or short passes underneath, allowing the other wr's to be down field blocking.

DraftBoy
05-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Roth's raving review speaks more to why I think Jones is ahead of Roosevelt right now, as opposed to what is popular opinion. Doesn't mean either will make the final 53 but I like Jones game better.

psubills62
05-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Good quotes, like the sound of Jones.

Though I think Chris Brown needs to revisit the draft schedule, as I'm 99.9% sure Easley was drafted on the third day, not the second.

Oaf
05-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Well then I got conflicting theories on Parrish

1. Gailey likes the gadget, junebug type players and parrish gets his looks
2. We're doing a power-I, smash mouth offense where any unwilling blocker won't see the field

:idunno: