PDA

View Full Version : Lynch & Thomas: Opposites Don’t Attract

patmoran2006
05-19-2010, 10:44 AM
The bad news is that Marshawn will undoubtedly want to kick my ass this summer.. The good news is I linked BZ to this photo in the article by MIke, so hopefully you guys get a lot of hits.
--------------------
Inside the Buffalo Bills organization, one of the poorer-kept secrets is a mutual aversion between current running back Marshawn Lynch and Hall of Famer Thurman Thomas. Simply put, you’re unlikely to see the duo sharing at a meal at Lynch’s Applebees or Dave and Buster’s hot spots anytime soon.

Several current and former players I’ve spoken to confirm the two aren’t fond of each other. Word is Thomas doesn’t think Lynch is very deserving of being part of the Bills organization and Western New York community.

Evidence of Lynch’s contempt for Thomas rests in his locker. Billszone.com (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/forumdisplay.php?f=2) photographer Michael Thomas captured a photocopied image of a Mark Gaughan Buffalo News blog entry from March 2009 Lynch has taped inside his stall. In the short column, Thomas said at the time he’d get rid of Lynch, who had previously been arrested a month earlier on a gun possession charge in California.

“If I was the GM (general manager), he’d be out of there.” Thomas said in the article.

If Lynch was using the letter as extra motivation it failed to work. He ran for just 450 yards on 120 carries and scored just two rushing touchdowns in 2009. His 3.8 yards per carry average was actually padded on 35 and 47 yard gains on two carries late in the season.

There’s also the incident late last season where Thomas brought his child with him into the locker room before a game, and Lynch snubbed him.

Reports trickled down to Thomas’ in-season radio show on WGR-550, though Thomas declined to ever formally name the player who was rude to him in front of his son.

As expected, neither player is willing to speak on the record about each other. Then again, Lynch refuses to speak to anyone about anything at all these days.

We will.

Thomas was and remains the best running back the organization has ever had. More importantly, he’s been a pillar in the community during and since his playing days and has been involved in countless charitable causes. He also still calls Western New York his home.

Occasional annoying twitter political talk aside, Thomas is a Hall of Famer with a heavily vested interest in the direction of the organization. Like many of the players that made up the greatest era of football the organization has ever seen, he wears his heart on his sleeve. He’s earned the right to speak his mind.

“This guy (Lynch) as talented as he is wouldn’t last a half season in our locker room when we played,” a former player told me. “We weren’t perfect by any means… but nothing like this. His off field antics have been an embarrassment.”

Thomas was completely right to say what he said, even though he told me the article was taken out of context and didn’t tell the whole story.

Meanwhile, undeniable God-given talent aside, Lynch has been a constant black eye on the organization on and off the field since being drafted in 2007. He’s had a pair of 1,000 yard seasons and a Pro Bowl to his credit, but it’s been overshadowed by off-field incidents, including separate hit and run, weed and gun possession charges. He’s also been involved in reported incidents where he didn’t end up criminally charged, including the alleged heisting of $20 bills on two occasions.

This is all in less than a three-year period.

Like it or not, Lynch’s time in Buffalo is limited, even if he wasn’t dealt before or during this past NFL draft. He lost his starting job to Fred Jackson last season and may have received a knockout blow in late April when the team took C.J. Spiller ninth overall. As a result Lynch, assuming he’s still with the team when training camp opens, enters the fray as the third string back on the roster.

Jackson isn’t going anywhere and here’s a newsflash; the Bills didn’t take Spiller that high to be a kick returner and carry the ball five times per game.
Although it wasn’t mandatory, it should be noted at Buffalo’s last organized team workouts before the draft, Lynch was a no-show, one of the few veterans not in attendance, surprising with a brand new coaching staff to meet.

Buddy Nix at the time and since has refused to comment about Lynch’s absence.

Again, we will.

Lynch wants to remain in Buffalo about as much as bartenders on Chippewa Street want him in their bars. If you thought he was a malcontent after losing his starting job to Jackson, it’s hard to imagine how he’ll be when he shows up to mandatory portions of camp, and that’s if he doesn’t hold out for a trade or release.

Chan Gailey has promised a clean slate for everyone on the roster, Nix says he has no intention of trading Lynch, and he still has two years left on a rookie deal at a very reasonable salary. Conceivably he could once again become a factor in the Bills offense, but don’t count on it.

Then again, maybe he’ll tape this to his locker as well.

DraftBoy
05-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Sharp criticism...should get picked up by a few blogs. Solid writing.

WeAreArthurMoates
05-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Nice write up Pat, one of your best.

Michael82
05-19-2010, 11:05 AM
That was very good, pat. I agree with others, it's your best work yet. :bf1:

BillsWin
05-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Better watch out Pat. Lynch does have a gun afterall...

As for the write up, I felt this was your best one yet. Very well-written. You've gotten better.

Billz_fan
05-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Excellent stuff. To many of these young guys in the league unfortunatly wander down the same path that Lynch now finds himself on. For his sake I hope he gets himself straightened out and realizes the opportunitys he has been given. If not he will become another in the line of young players who just plain blew it while bouncing in and out of the court system.

Yasgur's Farm
05-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Mikey... Who's ugly sister did you have to do in order to be let loose in the locker room? I can't believe they allowed you in there to take pics like that!

chernobylwraiths
05-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Thomas was very good, but the best running back in Bills history is Simpson.

delectrolux
05-19-2010, 11:50 AM
If you thought he was a malcontent after losing his starting job to Jackson,

I'm still not clear where it's ever been said (outside of blogs and message boards) that Lynch is a malcontent. He's never publicly said anything even remotely disparaging about Buffalo, or the Bills organization.

And once again, he performed almost exactly the same last year as he did the year before – about half the carries, about half the yards. His YPC were a little down, but he never stops running, is a welcome change of pace to both Freddie and what Spiller seems to be, and his contract is completely reasonable.

He's not holding out. He's not suspended. I just don't get the hate for Marshawn. And barring getting back a real need in return, there's no way the Bills should let him go.

madness
05-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Seriously, who wrote this for you?

:jk:

nateodoms'bff
05-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Ummmm, when was Marshawn Lynch ever charged with Marijuana possession?

I would think that a journalist like you would know that the reasonable cause for the search of his vehicle that led to the discovery of an illegally loaded legal firearm, was indeed "the smell of marijuana", but that no marijuana was ever found.

If you need to paint Lynch as some kind of thug character in order to hang more glory on Thurman Thomas (who in his days as a player had more than a few run ins with the law in Buffalo), then you are right on with this article.

If you want to continue on as blogger, and simply look to be controversial, then bravo. Youve contributed to the media machine that drives good players out of Buffalo, and keeps better ones from signing here. You and Jerry Sullivan should be proud.

TacklingDummy
05-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Is Lynch going to be in shape this season? Last season he looked fat.

trapezeus
05-19-2010, 01:39 PM
love or hate lynch, his running style is best suited to be handed the ball over and over and over again. His strength is running stronger and harder by the fourth quarter. That is the beast mode.

The bills did him no favors by cutting his handoffs as it runs exactly opposite of what i mentioned above, but he did himself no favors by being suspended. Futhermore, Jackson runs small and squeaks through holes that sustained drives earlier in games than Lynch's slam into them approach.

A more balanced team with a better line could have helped lynch and a qb who could make teams respect the passing game would have helped. Lynch could run for 2-3 yards early with the passing making up the difference, or a line that blocks a hole where his first contact is 2-3 yards down the line instead of right at the line.

but the team correctly chose its running back based on its roster last year and what the line looks like for 2010. They need a shifty back that make make something out of nothing to get drives going early in games.

There is no need to get rid of Marshawn unless the deal is right since he doesn't cost much.

But he isn't acting like a guy that is literally one strike away off the field, and probably looking at his last strike on the field. It's true, lynch isn't bad mouthing the team or the fans, but he's kinda past the point where he can be silent. he needs to get some good PR and this isnt' the wya to go about doing it.

mikemac2001
05-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Keep lynch if he has a solid year and we don't want him then trade him i don't mind him staying around as long as he doesn't become a cancer

delectrolux
05-19-2010, 03:17 PM
It's true, lynch isn't bad mouthing the team or the fans, but he's kinda past the point where he can be silent. he needs to get some good PR and this isnt' the wya to go about doing it.

This is the part I totally don't agree with. Who cares what is PR image is? If he's not suspended and he's not in trouble with the law, then I don't care who he talks to (or doesn't). And if my front office is making decisions based off the fan's perception of a player, as opposed to the reality of a player, then we're in worse trouble that I thought.

Personally, I think you let Lynch slam into the line the entire first half and then in the second you give it to Freddie and C.J. Hopefully by then the D-line is tired out from Beast Mode and our shifty backs will have their way with them. In that scenario, I honestly don't care if Marshawn's YPC average is under 2.

Yasgur's Farm
05-19-2010, 03:25 PM

I would think that a journalist like you would know that the reasonable cause for the search of his vehicle that led to the discovery of an illegally loaded legal firearm, was indeed "the smell of marijuana", but that no marijuana was ever found.

If you need to paint Lynch as some kind of thug character in order to hang more glory on Thurman Thomas (who in his days as a player had more than a few run ins with the law in Buffalo), then you are right on with this article.

If you want to continue on as blogger, and simply look to be controversial, then bravo. Youve contributed to the media machine that drives good players out of Buffalo, and keeps better ones from signing here. You and Jerry Sullivan should be proud.So... Ahhh... What exactly were Thurman's run-ins with the law in Buffalo?

BILLSROCK1212
05-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Best work yet Pat, keep it up.

SpillerThrills
05-19-2010, 03:59 PM
where has Lynch said that he wants out of Buffalo???? I might have missed it, but I don't think I've ever seen it.

tampabay25690
05-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Nice job

BlackMetalNinja
05-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Damn Pat, even I have to say this was a pretty good article... and you know just how much I usually love your work!

Michael82
05-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Mikey... Who's ugly sister did you have to do in order to be let loose in the locker room? I can't believe they allowed you in there to take pics like that!
You must have missed this thread....

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=192019

There was a draft party for all Season Ticket Holders on 3 different days and if you wanted to, you could take a tour of the locker room and weight room. They allowed us to take photos too, so of course I took a lot! :up:

BillsOwnAll
05-19-2010, 05:46 PM
His 3.8 yards per carry average was actually padded on 35 and 47 yard gains on two carries late in the season.

I had to stop reading after this statement. Did he not deserve those 2 runs? What was Chris Johnson Avg if you took away his long runs?

Luisito23
05-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Sandford & Son...

Coach Sal
05-19-2010, 06:25 PM

If you want to continue on as blogger, and simply look to be controversial, then bravo. Youve contributed to the media machine that drives good players out of Buffalo, and keeps better ones from signing here. You and Jerry Sullivan should be proud.

Can you cite, or at least remind me, of the "more than a few run ins with the law" Thurman Thomas had in Buffalo?

He may have had his own demons with alcohol, but as far as running afoul of the law while being a Bill, I don't think that's the case.

So, if you're going to criticize the article on a certain basis, you should probably make sure that basis is accurate.

trapezeus
05-19-2010, 06:33 PM
This is the part I totally don't agree with. Who cares what is PR image is? If he's not suspended and he's not in trouble with the law, then I don't care who he talks to (or doesn't). And if my front office is making decisions based off the fan's perception of a player, as opposed to the reality of a player, then we're in worse trouble that I thought.

Personally, I think you let Lynch slam into the line the entire first half and then in the second you give it to Freddie and C.J. Hopefully by then the D-line is tired out from Beast Mode and our shifty backs will have their way with them. In that scenario, I honestly don't care if Marshawn's YPC average is under 2.

but lynch is most effective in the 4th quarter when he's still conditioned to run strong and the team is worn down. he doesn't do so hot in the first half. it's his second half performance that usually clicks.

and i think i made a decent case that they are making decisions on the team they have and the way they plan to build the team. not what the fans are thinking.

lynch is the type of runner that even if he runs well for the next 2 years, he's going to have aged like 5-6 years more than guys who know how to get small and get through.

i'm disappointed that lynch didn't build on his 07 and 08 campaign. he's going to have a short career where he just won't run as well like the giants Jacobs.

Oldbillsfan
05-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Everyone just leave Lynch alone! Where is that Brittany Spears video? The dude has kept his nose clean and will redeem himself next season.

TacklingDummy
05-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Everyone just leave Lynch alone! Where is that Brittany Spears video? The dude has kept his nose clean and will redeem himself next season.
3rd on the depth chart, not sure how much redeeming he will be doing.

Yasgur's Farm
05-19-2010, 07:19 PM
You must have missed this thread....

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=192019

There was a draft party for all Season Ticket Holders on 3 different days and if you wanted to, you could take a tour of the locker room and weight room. They allowed us to take photos too, so of course I took a lot! :up:Thanks... Missed it... I'm amazed the Bills let this type of thing happen. Good work!

Oldbillsfan
05-19-2010, 07:48 PM
3rd on the depth chart, not sure how much redeeming he will be doing.

Anything can, and will happen.

nateodoms'bff
05-19-2010, 08:28 PM
I grew up in North Buffalo.

I have family that were cops in Hamburg and Orchard Park and Amherst. Every one of them had a Thurman Thomas story. Just like every bar tender on Chippewa has a Dominik Hasek story.

Jim Kelly's bar downtown in the Main Place Center was a Bills drunken hot spot. All of those guys got a pass in Buffalo during the 90's. So to say that because home town cops gave football stars breaks, that these guys were angels or that they had no run ins with the law is naive.

I have a great example of Thurman Thomas snubbing me for an autograph at a baseball card show, after waiting in line for HIS autograph. So for him to complain about a player snubbing him, especially one he spoke poorly of, is a little pot calling the kettle.

Im not a bitter fan, I just think its endemic of media today. 20 years ago, journalists didn't make sideways shots at players for their off field behavior. But journalists today don't sit at Mother's Restaurant with the players.They don't build personal relationships the way that they used to. Because they don't have access to them. Maybe if instead of trying to make a name out of rehashing gossip or scooping the networks on an arrest, they took the time to get to know them, and understand them, then maybe players would fear the media, instead of disregard it and behave poorly publicly.

Sorry for the run ons and grammar mistakes.

BidsJr
05-19-2010, 09:45 PM

Not sure that is the real problem here. lol

ZAZusmc03
05-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Really was a great write-up, Pat. Best I have seen from you! Keep up the good work.

delectrolux
05-19-2010, 11:44 PM
but lynch is most effective in the 4th quarter when he's still conditioned to run strong and the team is worn down. he doesn't do so hot in the first half. it's his second half performance that usually clicks.

Well, that's not really true, at least not last year. Last year, Lynch averaged 4.6 YPC in the first half of games and only 2.9 in the second. With his longest in the first half 47 yards and two touchdowns, while the second halves yielded a long of 9 yards and no TDs.

Griff
05-20-2010, 05:24 AM
who is Marshawn Lynch?

Goobylal
05-20-2010, 07:37 AM
I grew up in North Buffalo.

I have family that were cops in Hamburg and Orchard Park and Amherst. Every one of them had a Thurman Thomas story. Just like every bar tender on Chippewa has a Dominik Hasek story.

Jim Kelly's bar downtown in the Main Place Center was a Bills drunken hot spot. All of those guys got a pass in Buffalo during the 90's. So to say that because home town cops gave football stars breaks, that these guys were angels or that they had no run ins with the law is naive.

I have a great example of Thurman Thomas snubbing me for an autograph at a baseball card show, after waiting in line for HIS autograph. So for him to complain about a player snubbing him, especially one he spoke poorly of, is a little pot calling the kettle.

Im not a bitter fan, I just think its endemic of media today. 20 years ago, journalists didn't make sideways shots at players for their off field behavior. But journalists today don't sit at Mother's Restaurant with the players.They don't build personal relationships the way that they used to. Because they don't have access to them. Maybe if instead of trying to make a name out of rehashing gossip or scooping the networks on an arrest, they took the time to get to know them, and understand them, then maybe players would fear the media, instead of disregard it and behave poorly publicly.

Bingo. Thurman is a great player, but he doesn't have much room to talk. I don't know personally of any run-ins with the law, but I heard many times about his surliness. He and the other SB-era Bills were lucky that there was no internet around at that time, much less the media scrutiny there is today.

That Thurman says he'd get rid of Marshawn explains Marshawn snubbing Thurman last year. And frankly, I don't blame him. I think he's been more a victim of circumstances than anything else. I don't give a fig about the alleged pot charges, even if they were true (which I doubt), since probably half the league is smoking the stuff and he hasn't been suspended for it. I also could give a fig about the gun charge, since he wasn't using it for illegal purposes (at least that he know of). But it was a convenient excuse for Sir Roger to suspend him under his worthless Personal Conduct Policy. The "hit and run" looked to be an accident and there was nothing to implicate Marshawn as having even drank that night, much less driven drunk.

That being said, hopefully he avoids putting himself in situations that can lead to him getting into trouble. But he may just be better-served going to another team. I think the fans have turned on him and I can't imagine he feels to great about being in Buffalo anymore.

Night Train
05-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Conclusion - They'll never bang.

trapezeus
05-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Well, that's not really true, at least not last year. Last year, Lynch averaged 4.6 YPC in the first half of games and only 2.9 in the second. With his longest in the first half 47 yards and two touchdowns, while the second halves yielded a long of 9 yards and no TDs.

right. last year, they didn't use him much. and we covered that he had two long runs that extended his average last year.

His rookie season and following season, when he was on his game, he could run strong in the first half and somehow even stronger in the fourth. that JP-Jets game, Lynch was crushing the giants. that's what made the call to pass so incredibly stupid.

My point was that the bills couldn't afford to wait for lynch to warm up in the first half. and he isn't the guy who can go in for a spell and help out. he needs the ball a lot to find his rhythm. it's not a knock. it's just his style. in games were he got the ball 25 times a game, he was a force. in games that he sees 8, they aren't very memorable runs.

patmoran2006
05-20-2010, 12:27 PM
I really can't comment on Marshawn LYnch out of fairness any further, I'm already pretty apparently biased enough against him.

What I can tell you is he doesnt fit this kind of football organization, and that is that.

Thanks for the comments everyone, pros and cons. Especially yours "Nate Odomes' dude.. I appreciate you disagree yet staying completely on topic and not making the typical personal attack a lot of peeps do when they dont like what they read.

nateodoms'bff
05-20-2010, 01:10 PM
I really can't comment on Marshawn LYnch out of fairness any further, I'm already pretty apparently biased enough against him.

What I can tell you is he doesnt fit this kind of football organization, and that is that.

Thanks for the comments everyone, pros and cons. Especially yours "Nate Odomes' dude.. I appreciate you disagree yet staying completely on topic and not making the typical personal attack a lot of peeps do when they dont like what they read.

That's why I like this board, good people and good comments.

Props on getting the nod today on PFT.

I'm not sure why you think that Lynch doesn't fit this organization. As of right now, no one knows what kind of organization there is. It seems that all new regimes tend to get rid of problem players. Given that they haven't gotten rid of Lynch, I would think its safe to say that he does have a place in the organization.

Lynch is a good player. Has he been the breakout star that a lot of us thought he would be, not yet. But I feel like at least the running game is going to come together this season. And Lynch can only help.

Throne Logic
05-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Missed Mikey's pic thread in the past. Very surprised they let the public in like that. If I were a player, I'd consider that a definite breach of privacy.

Case in point, I wonder how many folks have called that cell phone number on the post-it next to the Thurman Thomas letter in Lynch's locker signed "Keith". . .

feldspar
05-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Sounds like Lynch's "relationship" with Thomas is a lot like Terry Bradshaw's relationship with Ben Roethlisberger.

ParanoidAndroid
05-20-2010, 04:50 PM
This is exactly the kind of sports coverage that made me sour of ESPN.

nateodoms'bff
05-20-2010, 05:07 PM
This is exactly the kind of sports coverage that made me sour of ESPN.

I couldn't agree more. Nothing against Sal or Pat or any of the guys that do blogs. But ESPN is a major news network, albeit sports news. They set the standard for sports television and sports news broadcasting. For them to take a non-story like this and run with it, just proves that they will try and stir the pot on any story, regardless of its facts or relevancy to the game.

This is a break for Pat, and Im happy that he gets it, but Id rather it be for news on a trade for Gaither, or a front runner for QB. Anything but a gossip story about two guys not getting along.

Michael82
05-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Missed Mikey's pic thread in the past. Very surprised they let the public in like that. If I were a player, I'd consider that a definite breach of privacy.

Case in point, I wonder how many folks have called that cell phone number on the post-it next to the Thurman Thomas letter in Lynch's locker signed "Keith". . .

They had a note on a couple people's stools that said that the Bills are going to be doing a special tour of the locker room and if you had anything you don't want seen by the public, please remove it by and then there was a date.

Oldbillsfan
05-20-2010, 07:02 PM

I agree, it was almost like the players weren't told people would be popping photos in their locker room.

Michael82
05-20-2010, 07:58 PM
I agree, it was almost like the players weren't told people would be popping photos in their locker room.

They were told...the ones who have been to Buffalo for the Offseason Conditioning and the workouts. But Marshawn Lynch has been a no-show all year long so far!

HHURRICANE
05-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Nice writing job guys!!

Congrats.

trapezeus
05-21-2010, 09:40 AM
the front page of yahoo has this thurman story with a link to mikey's photo. Nice exposure.