• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Lynch & Thomas: Opposites Don’t Attract

The bad news is that Marshawn will undoubtedly want to kick my ass this summer.. The good news is I linked BZ to this photo in the article by MIke, so hopefully you guys get a lot of hits.
    --------------------
    Inside the Buffalo Bills organization, one of the poorer-kept secrets is a mutual aversion between current running back Marshawn Lynch and Hall of Famer Thurman Thomas. Simply put, you’re unlikely to see the duo sharing at a meal at Lynch’s Applebees or Dave and Buster’s hot spots anytime soon.

Several current and former players I’ve spoken to confirm the two aren’t fond of each other. Word is Thomas doesn’t think Lynch is very deserving of being part of the Bills organization and Western New York community.

Evidence of Lynch’s contempt for Thomas rests in his locker. Billszone.com photographer Michael Thomas captured a photocopied image of a Mark Gaughan Buffalo News blog entry from March 2009 Lynch has taped inside his stall. In the short column, Thomas said at the time he’d get rid of Lynch, who had previously been arrested a month earlier on a gun possession charge in California.

“If I was the GM (general manager), he’d be out of there.” Thomas said in the article.

If Lynch was using the letter as extra motivation it failed to work. He ran for just 450 yards on 120 carries and scored just two rushing touchdowns in 2009. His 3.8 yards per carry average was actually padded on 35 and 47 yard gains on two carries late in the season.

There’s also the incident late last season where Thomas brought his child with him into the locker room before a game, and Lynch snubbed him.

Reports trickled down to Thomas’ in-season radio show on WGR-550, though Thomas declined to ever formally name the player who was rude to him in front of his son.

As expected, neither player is willing to speak on the record about each other. Then again, Lynch refuses to speak to anyone about anything at all these days.

We will.

Thomas was and remains the best running back the organization has ever had. More importantly, he’s been a pillar in the community during and since his playing days and has been involved in countless charitable causes. He also still calls Western New York his home.

Occasional annoying twitter political talk aside, Thomas is a Hall of Famer with a heavily vested interest in the direction of the organization. Like many of the players that made up the greatest era of football the organization has ever seen, he wears his heart on his sleeve. He’s earned the right to speak his mind.

“This guy (Lynch) as talented as he is wouldn’t last a half season in our locker room when we played,” a former player told me. “We weren’t perfect by any means… but nothing like this. His off field antics have been an embarrassment.”

Thomas was completely right to say what he said, even though he told me the article was taken out of context and didn’t tell the whole story.

Meanwhile, undeniable God-given talent aside, Lynch has been a constant black eye on the organization on and off the field since being drafted in 2007. He’s had a pair of 1,000 yard seasons and a Pro Bowl to his credit, but it’s been overshadowed by off-field incidents, including separate hit and run, weed and gun possession charges. He’s also been involved in reported incidents where he didn’t end up criminally charged, including the alleged heisting of $20 bills on two occasions.

This is all in less than a three-year period.

Like it or not, Lynch’s time in Buffalo is limited, even if he wasn’t dealt before or during this past NFL draft. He lost his starting job to Fred Jackson last season and may have received a knockout blow in late April when the team took C.J. Spiller ninth overall. As a result Lynch, assuming he’s still with the team when training camp opens, enters the fray as the third string back on the roster.

Jackson isn’t going anywhere and here’s a newsflash; the Bills didn’t take Spiller that high to be a kick returner and carry the ball five times per game.
    Although it wasn’t mandatory, it should be noted at Buffalo’s last organized team workouts before the draft, Lynch was a no-show, one of the few veterans not in attendance, surprising with a brand new coaching staff to meet.

Buddy Nix at the time and since has refused to comment about Lynch’s absence.

Again, we will.

Lynch wants to remain in Buffalo about as much as bartenders on Chippewa Street want him in their bars. If you thought he was a malcontent after losing his starting job to Jackson, it’s hard to imagine how he’ll be when he shows up to mandatory portions of camp, and that’s if he doesn’t hold out for a trade or release.

Chan Gailey has promised a clean slate for everyone on the roster, Nix says he has no intention of trading Lynch, and he still has two years left on a rookie deal at a very reasonable salary. Conceivably he could once again become a factor in the Bills offense, but don’t count on it.

Then again, maybe he’ll tape this to his locker as well.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Lynch & Thomas: Opposites Don’t Attract

Sharp criticism...should get picked up by a few blogs. Solid writing.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
      • Feb 2009

Nice write up Pat, one of your best.

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

That was very good, pat. I agree with others, it's your best work yet.

Comment

• BillsWin
          man amongst boys
          • Oct 2008

Better watch out Pat. Lynch does have a gun afterall...

As for the write up, I felt this was your best one yet. Very well-written. You've gotten better.
          I am The Batman.

Comment

• Billz_fan
            • Jan 2003

Excellent stuff. To many of these young guys in the league unfortunatly wander down the same path that Lynch now finds himself on. For his sake I hope he gets himself straightened out and realizes the opportunitys he has been given. If not he will become another in the line of young players who just plain blew it while bouncing in and out of the court system.
            The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

Mikey... Who's ugly sister did you have to do in order to be let loose in the locker room? I can't believe they allowed you in there to take pics like that!

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                • Jan 2003

Thomas was very good, but the best running back in Bills history is Simpson.

Comment

• delectrolux
                  • May 2007

If you thought he was a malcontent after losing his starting job to Jackson,
                  I'm still not clear where it's ever been said (outside of blogs and message boards) that Lynch is a malcontent. He's never publicly said anything even remotely disparaging about Buffalo, or the Bills organization.

And once again, he performed almost exactly the same last year as he did the year before – about half the carries, about half the yards. His YPC were a little down, but he never stops running, is a welcome change of pace to both Freddie and what Spiller seems to be, and his contract is completely reasonable.

He's not holding out. He's not suspended. I just don't get the hate for Marshawn. And barring getting back a real need in return, there's no way the Bills should let him go.

Comment

• madness
                    • Apr 2003

Seriously, who wrote this for you?

Comment

• nateodoms'bff
                      • Dec 2008

Ummmm, when was Marshawn Lynch ever charged with Marijuana possession?

I would think that a journalist like you would know that the reasonable cause for the search of his vehicle that led to the discovery of an illegally loaded legal firearm, was indeed "the smell of marijuana", but that no marijuana was ever found.

If you need to paint Lynch as some kind of thug character in order to hang more glory on Thurman Thomas (who in his days as a player had more than a few run ins with the law in Buffalo), then you are right on with this article.

If you want to continue on as blogger, and simply look to be controversial, then bravo. Youve contributed to the media machine that drives good players out of Buffalo, and keeps better ones from signing here. You and Jerry Sullivan should be proud.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                        Unreachable Douche
                        • Jul 2002

Is Lynch going to be in shape this season? Last season he looked fat.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

love or hate lynch, his running style is best suited to be handed the ball over and over and over again. His strength is running stronger and harder by the fourth quarter. That is the beast mode.

The bills did him no favors by cutting his handoffs as it runs exactly opposite of what i mentioned above, but he did himself no favors by being suspended. Futhermore, Jackson runs small and squeaks through holes that sustained drives earlier in games than Lynch's slam into them approach.

A more balanced team with a better line could have helped lynch and a qb who could make teams respect the passing game would have helped. Lynch could run for 2-3 yards early with the passing making up the difference, or a line that blocks a hole where his first contact is 2-3 yards down the line instead of right at the line.

but the team correctly chose its running back based on its roster last year and what the line looks like for 2010. They need a shifty back that make make something out of nothing to get drives going early in games.

There is no need to get rid of Marshawn unless the deal is right since he doesn't cost much.

But he isn't acting like a guy that is literally one strike away off the field, and probably looking at his last strike on the field. It's true, lynch isn't bad mouthing the team or the fans, but he's kinda past the point where he can be silent. he needs to get some good PR and this isnt' the wya to go about doing it.

Comment

• mikemac2001
                            is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                            • Mar 2003

Keep lynch if he has a solid year and we don't want him then trade him i don't mind him staying around as long as he doesn't become a cancer

MUCK
                            FIAMI

Comment

• delectrolux
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by trapezeus
                              It's true, lynch isn't bad mouthing the team or the fans, but he's kinda past the point where he can be silent. he needs to get some good PR and this isnt' the wya to go about doing it.
                              This is the part I totally don't agree with. Who cares what is PR image is? If he's not suspended and he's not in trouble with the law, then I don't care who he talks to (or doesn't). And if my front office is making decisions based off the fan's perception of a player, as opposed to the reality of a player, then we're in worse trouble that I thought.

Personally, I think you let Lynch slam into the line the entire first half and then in the second you give it to Freddie and C.J. Hopefully by then the D-line is tired out from Beast Mode and our shifty backs will have their way with them. In that scenario, I honestly don't care if Marshawn's YPC average is under 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X