PDA

View Full Version : "What if" scenario...

hydro
05-20-2010, 07:53 AM
If for some reason (would never happen) Buddy Nix came out boldy and said that this season they will not be making any decisions that affect the team in a way to make them truely competitive this and possibly next season. This essentially meaning they will be "bottoming out" and that they will be filling most of the important positions through the draft and that only vets that come in through the next few seasons will be role players and stop gaps. What would be your feelings about that?

Here is an example.
No signing Terrell Owens, No trading for a LT, and no big Free Agent signings...

All positions that people on here feel are in dire need to be upgraded will be drafted within the next few seasons.

This is what I feel like is happening even though the FO would never come out and say it.

The King
05-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Im ok with it. Nix seems to have plan, and while he isnt going about things the exact way I'd have hoped. He seems pretty set in what he's doing... even if its 100% wrong... it seems like its been years since this team has had any kind of rebuilding strategy.

BillsWin
05-20-2010, 08:20 AM
I'm good for that. We should have built through the draft years ago. Too bad we sucked at drafting for so long.

In Buddy I trust.

For now...

OpIv37
05-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Ugh. I agree that this is what is happening and it's very disheartening.

As a fan, I want to win NOW, but as a rational person, I understand that this team is in such dire straits that winning now is damn near impossible. And even if we were able to win now, it would come at the price of hosing our cap and trading away 2-3 years worth of high draft picks, so at best it would be 1-2 pretty good years followed by 5-6 bad ones.

I have two major problems with this. The first is that we've been in this situation 2-3 times in the last 10 years, and neither has yielded results. I can't sit through another 2-3 years of rebuilding (actually, the full breakdown is more of a 4 year plan), only to find out that we did it wrong and have to start over YET AGAIN.

The second is that the stadium lease and the Toronto deal run out after the 2012 season. So far, NOTHING has been done to keep this team in Buffalo after that date or after Ralph's passing. So, it's entirely possible that the last 2-3 years of the Bills could be a tear-down phase. It would be horrible to lose our team, and shameful to go out in that fashion.

BillsWin
05-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Ugh. I agree that this is what is happening and it's very disheartening.

As a fan, I want to win NOW, but as a rational person, I understand that this team is in such dire straits that winning now is damn near impossible. And even if we were able to win now, it would come at the price of hosing our cap and trading away 2-3 years worth of high draft picks, so at best it would be 1-2 pretty good years followed by 5-6 bad ones.

I have two major problems with this. The first is that we've been in this situation 2-3 times in the last 10 years, and neither has yielded results. I can't sit through another 2-3 years of rebuilding (actually, the full breakdown is more of a 4 year plan), only to find out that we did it wrong and have to start over YET AGAIN.

The second is that the stadium lease and the Toronto deal run out after the 2012 season. So far, NOTHING has been done to keep this team in Buffalo after that date or after Ralph's passing. So, it's entirely possible that the last 2-3 years of the Bills could be a tear-down phase. It would be horrible to lose our team, and shameful to go out in that fashion.

Congrats. You are now among an elite group of people that manage to depress me on a daily basis.

Your prize?

Jauron clap. :bf1:

For the record, I think you make a good point. I just don't want you to be right.

OpIv37
05-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Congrats. You are now among an elite group of people that manage to depress me on a daily basis.

Your prize?

Jauron clap. :bf1:

For the record, I think you make a good point. I just don't want you to be right.

Believe me, I don't want to be right on this one.

don137
05-20-2010, 10:03 AM
As long as I see steady progress then I would be OK.

I was talking to a friend of mine last weekend. He works for the Panthers organization. He said he has had private conversations with Panthers owner Jerry Richardson and he said Richardson is prepared and ready for a lockout next year or longer if need be. He said the Panthers barely made any money last year after factoring in the bad labor agreement and the cost to run the stadium which is privately funded. The owners are prepared to play hardball with the players.
If the lockout happens this will further delay the turnaround by the Bills.

Night Train
05-20-2010, 10:05 AM
vets that come in through the next few seasons will be role players and stop gaps

The last 10 years have been stop gap Vets with no good replacements drafted. Only we were sold a bill of goods at various times that these moves would get us into the playoffs. Thud !

I have no issues with the Vet FA's we signed this off-season, considering there was no cap and a new admin. had to basically start over (New GM, Head Coach & staff, schemes etc.). The draft is unknown but the bottom line is we have to play some of these existing guys before declaring them busts. (Maybin,Hardy etc.) Plus get the young guys in there and see what the heck they got. Loyalties to many familiar faces should be zero.

I knew the LT and QB pool in this April draft was paper thin and Nix has stated the right way to build is through the draft and not Free Agency (couldn't agree more). It doesn't need to be said directly. It's already implied.

Still, we have no idea what to expect... but since the national media has basically declared us the worst team in football, :rolleyes: many here are actively recruiting partners for their final bridge jump.

Think for yourself and wait until we see something in camp & pre-season.

OpIv37
05-20-2010, 10:20 AM
The last 10 years have been stop gap Vets with no good replacements drafted. Only we were sold a bill of goods at various times that these moves would get us into the playoffs. Thud !

I have no issues with the Vet FA's we signed this off-season, considering there was no cap and a new admin. had to basically start over (New GM, Head Coach & staff, schemes etc.). The draft is unknown but the bottom line is we have to play some of these existing guys before declaring them busts. (Maybin,Hardy etc.) Plus get the young guys in there and see what the heck they got. Loyalties to many familiar faces should be zero.

I knew the LT and QB pool in this April draft was paper thin and Nix has stated the right way to build is through the draft and not Free Agency (couldn't agree more). It doesn't need to be said directly. It's already implied.

Still, we have no idea what to expect... but since the national media has basically declared us the worst team in football, :rolleyes: many here are actively recruiting partners for their final bridge jump.

The national media has declared us the worst team in football for very good reason. The lack of availability of an LT and/or QB do not change the fact that we need a QB and an LT, and those are two key positions. We have a young OL that performed poorly last year, with a key member coming off a very serious knee injury. We lost two contributors at WR and replaced them with 1 5th round rookie. We're switching to a 3-4 D and the only real NT on the roster is a rookie. We have no proven pass rushers, especially from the 3-4.

Anyone who thinks for themselves can clearly see all the holes and flaws in this team.

OpIv37
05-20-2010, 10:23 AM

And seriously, are we going to get into this already?

When camp comes and the team looks like ****, then everyone will say "Wait til pre-season!"
When pre-season comes and the team looks like ****, then everyone will say "Wait til the regular season- you can't judge anything by pre-season!"
When camp comes and the team looks like ****, then every thread will read like it was started by me.

Accept it now, or accept it when reality kicks you in the nuts, but this is a terrible football team.

hydro
05-20-2010, 12:42 PM
And seriously, are we going to get into this already?

When camp comes and the team looks like ****, then everyone will say "Wait til pre-season!"
When pre-season comes and the team looks like ****, then everyone will say "Wait til the regular season- you can't judge anything by pre-season!"
When camp comes and the team looks like ****, then every thread will read like it was started by me.

Accept it now, or accept it when reality kicks you in the nuts, but this is a terrible football team.

I remember this same post last season. And we heard that exact thing, wait until X. Funny that nobody dug up that thread ;)

I am sick of believing that the team will get it right. I hold out hope internally, as I always do but I will never defend this team on this forum again until they show us something with good FO moves and play on the field.

bflojohn
05-20-2010, 01:01 PM
The Bills need to build through the draft and this effort was a good start. Good God, yes, the NT is a rookie, but so what? They needed one and obtained one. If they didn't the refrain would be, "Well they didn't get a nose tackle!" I am of the opinion that Buddy Nix told it like it was during the lead-up to the draft by saying that two OLT's were capable of coming in and starting. They were gone, so he selected the BPA, and personally, I believe that is exactly what you should do! Spiller represents star quality, and I dare you to name the last Bills draftee who reeked of that quality?! The way I'm handling this season is with the expectation that improvements will be tangable, with young studs drafted the last two years forming the cornerstone of future success. Anyone here believe differently? If you don't think that Wood, Byrd, Nelson, Levitre, and Maybin along with Spiller, Troup, Carrington, Moats, and Batten don't represent better days ahead, you're NOT much of a fan, but a constant complainer that will NEVER see the trees for the forest!!

OpIv37
05-20-2010, 01:39 PM
The Bills need to build through the draft and this effort was a good start. Good God, yes, the NT is a rookie, but so what? They needed one and obtained one. If they didn't the refrain would be, "Well they didn't get a nose tackle!" I am of the opinion that Buddy Nix told it like it was during the lead-up to the draft by saying that two OLT's were capable of coming in and starting. They were gone, so he selected the BPA, and personally, I believe that is exactly what you should do! Spiller represents star quality, and I dare you to name the last Bills draftee who reeked of that quality?! The way I'm handling this season is with the expectation that improvements will be tangable, with young studs drafted the last two years forming the cornerstone of future success. Anyone here believe differently? If you don't think that Wood, Byrd, Nelson, Levitre, and Maybin along with Spiller, Troup, Carrington, Moats, and Batten don't represent better days ahead, you're NOT much of a fan, but a constant complainer that will NEVER see the trees for the forest!!

The problem with this post: you act as if the only options were rookie NT or no NT. First, ever hear of FA or trades? Second, just because they picked an NT in the draft doesn't mean it was the RIGHT NT. There were two other NT's slotted higher than Troup, one of whom ended up going to the Ravens (a team that has proven themselves to be much better at drafting and D than Buffalo).

As far as not reaching in the draft, that's fine- IF you address holes via trade or FA. But teams as bad as the Bills don't have the luxury of going BPA in the draft AND sitting on their hands during FA.

You can say all day that the Bills were smart by not reaching on the draft (although I'd argue that they reached on Troup...but I digress). You can say all day that no LT's or QB's or WR's or NT's were available in FA this year. And you might be very right about those things. But that doesn't change the fact that there are still huge holes on this team that were not addressed, and it will show on the field.

ServoBillieves
05-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Why, at a professional level, would you not try to mold the 53 most talented players on your roster in to a winning product this year?

All I can see by this mindset is that "Well we'll throw these guys out there for these 20 exhibition games so when we really have a team we want we'll be ready for our REAL games next year."

If I'm in that organization and that's what I'm being told? I have very little faith in my job to bring a competitive and entertaining product to the fans. This just sounds too "wait and see what happens" to me.

hydro
05-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Why, at a professional level, would you not try to mold the 53 most talented players on your roster in to a winning product this year?

Because if it doesn't make sense for the long term why bother with another 7-9 season. Get young players in here that you like and take your lumps. Some should hopefully turn into starters in the NFL maybe even find a few stars and go from there.

You mindset would be great for being a Redskin fan. They try to find the most talent out there and throw money at it. Look where they are.

SquishDaFish
05-20-2010, 03:06 PM
As long as we have some sort of plan Im good with it. But we need dedication from the top down period. Im excited with the direction we seem to be going and cant wait for the season to start.

Billz_fan
05-20-2010, 03:36 PM
If for some reason (would never happen) Buddy Nix came out boldy and said that this season they will not be making any decisions that affect the team in a way to make them truely competitive this and possibly next season. This essentially meaning they will be "bottoming out" and that they will be filling most of the important positions through the draft and that only vets that come in through the next few seasons will be role players and stop gaps. What would be your feelings about that?

Here is an example.
No signing Terrell Owens, No trading for a LT, and no big Free Agent signings...

All positions that people on here feel are in dire need to be upgraded will be drafted within the next few seasons.

This is what I feel like is happening even though the FO would never come out and say it.

Wow if they do that as a team then you really are slapping the current roster in the face, Obtw team, we realize your not capable of winning any games. Most of you are just stop gaps till we can get some real players in the next couple drafts. Now go out there and entertain the fans :laughter:

hydro
05-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Wow if they do that as a team then you really are slapping the current roster in the face, Obtw team, we realize your not capable of winning any games. Most of you are just stop gaps till we can get some real players in the next couple drafts. Now go out there and entertain the fans :laughter:

All the young players aren't getting slapped in the face. They should know that they can be the future of the team if they show something on the field. Anyone that is older and experienced should know that they are basically stop gaps because most of the team is comprised of young/inexperienced players who won't fully develop for a few seasons. Hopefully by the time our young talent is in their prime we won't be seeing Stroud, Schobel, Green, etc on this team, right?

Billz_fan
05-20-2010, 03:52 PM
As long as we have some sort of plan Im good with it. But we need dedication from the top down period. Im excited with the direction we seem to be going and cant wait for the season to start.

God bro I love your enthusiasm but I think when the season starts there is gonna be alot of pain and suffering. I have tempered myself for this season. I have come to the conclusion that I will be happy if the team just performs better. Visable results that show there is something better coaching wise in place.

1. A big decline in penaltys, stupid off sides, holding calls and other mental mistakes that have plauged this group for the last several years. Mclovins fumble last year is a good example. Some are gonna happen but not to the degree this team has them.
2. Better play calling. Lets not be down 27-3 with 2 minutes left. Our offense on the 15 yard line and we kick a field goal. We need to be taking shots at the end zone in those moments.
3. Better clock management. near the halfs and end of games.
4. Players taking plays off. Alotta players on this team take on field breathers.

There are more but you get the idea. If we can see stuff like this get better then I will say we are headed in the right direction. If however they keep making all the dumb mistakes etc. then there is no reason to think we are going anywhere in the future.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-20-2010, 04:23 PM
thats how the chargers got good so yes i would be happy with that, only thing is, in year 3 and 4 we better be good...

Typ0
05-20-2010, 04:30 PM
It would clearly be a lame dumb strategy and bunch of marketing hocus pocus. There isn't that much separation in the league to be throwing seasons away. This isn't the days of yesteryear when you build dynasties by building player personnel that stay with the team for their careers. If you agree with this attitude you are living in the past.

ServoBillieves
05-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Because if it doesn't make sense for the long term why bother with another 7-9 season. Get young players in here that you like and take your lumps. Some should hopefully turn into starters in the NFL maybe even find a few stars and go from there.

You mindset would be great for being a Redskin fan. They try to find the most talent out there and throw money at it. Look where they are.

The long term effect is obviously what this team is looking at, but to not put the best 53 players at your disposal within the organization on the field and hope that your coach can produce a winning product is just sad.

How I'm looking at this is someone coming out and saying "Hey folks, buy tickets as we lay down this season since we have 0 faith in these NFL caliber players."

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly.

hydro
05-20-2010, 05:55 PM
The long term effect is obviously what this team is looking at, but to not put the best 53 players at your disposal within the organization on the field and hope that your coach can produce a winning product is just sad.

How I'm looking at this is someone coming out and saying "Hey folks, buy tickets as we lay down this season since we have 0 faith in these NFL caliber players."

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly.
If you are hard headed about it yeah you can see it like that. Or they can say "Hey folks, we are trying to start a new with OUR guys and most of them are young. Watch us grow this season and expect us to get better each and every game". "Oh and we might win a few games in the process and will be a lot more exciting than the past few seasons with Jauron".

That is my dream anyway.

BillsOwnAll
05-20-2010, 06:35 PM
by upgrading your team you never tell them there not going to competitive. What would every player on the team think.

hydro
05-20-2010, 06:39 PM
by upgrading your team you never tell them there not going to competitive. What would every player on the team think.

That is why it is a "what if" scenario that, as I stated, would never happen. ;)

PromoTheRobot
05-20-2010, 08:32 PM

Here is an example.

God you are hilarious! No signing of T.O. a sign the Bills don't care about winning? Is this the same Terrell Owens who is still unemployed? The same guy no one else in the NFL wants? And Nix not signing him is proof we don't want to win???

If anything it shows for once we actually have a GM who knows what he's doing. It's also pretty obvious that your momma ignored you as a baby. That might explain why you seem to need ESPN and NFLN to talk make a fuss over the Bills by signing a "big-time free agent."

Okay Einstein, name the last team that made a mega-free agent deal that won a SB because of that player? On the other hand I can name a bunch of teams that made fat deals and the players sucked. But hey, at least ESPN gave them a knob job on SportsCenter in the off-season.

PTR

YardRat
05-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Building a team is always a balance between acquiring players that can possibly (and I emphasize possibly) help you win now, and also help you win in the future. Any strategy that ignores one 'mindset' in complete favor of the other is simply ignorant.

Of course we're going to sign FA's to help plug some holes. Of course we're going to try to draft rookies that we hope will eventually contribute significantly. It's a process for everybody, regardless of whether they were 0-16 or 16-0 the season before.

You know who had a top 5 free agency period last season? Kansas City. Followed by Seattle. Really? Glad it worked out so well for them.

http://maricopa360.com/?p=3879
http://nfldraftexpert.blogspot.com/2009/03/2009-nfl-free-agency-winners-and-losers.html

As for the draft, nobody will really know what we got from the last two years for at least another season or two.

We didn't get a QB. Big deal, and good. I didn't want any of the rookies anyway, and save for McNabb (who didn't want to come here) and maybe Campbell (who's ability to upgrade the position for us is questionable, at best) the FA well was pretty much bone dry.

We didn't get a left tackle. Point taken. Hopefully we've still got a move or two in store to upgrade.

We didn't get a WR. Meh. Wouldn't want to waste draft picks on Marshall or Holmes. We did get Jackson in FA, and Easley in the draft. Along with Johnson and/or Hardy needing to step up this year, we could get lucky or flame out. That's OK if we still need to upgrade next season, though. James Lofton wasn't exactly sought after when he came to Buffalo ("Too old, lost a step etc").

NT, DE, LB...Like it or not every position was addressed, with multiple players. Multiple. Just because they aren't all 'name' players or the exact guy anybody was looking for doesn't mean they absolutely can't make a name for themselves in Buffalo.

Are we going to win this season? Probably not as many as some think, but probably more than others are guessing.

Apologies for going off on a tangent...

ServoBillieves
05-20-2010, 09:31 PM
If you are hard headed about it yeah you can see it like that. Or they can say "Hey folks, we are trying to start a new with OUR guys and most of them are young. Watch us grow this season and expect us to get better each and every game". "Oh and we might win a few games in the process and will be a lot more exciting than the past few seasons with Jauron".

That is my dream anyway.

53 NFL players on the roster = "Our guys" dumbass. They will grow, of course. They will get better? Maybe. We "might" win a few games in the season would just mean piss poor coaching, therefore I'd want Gailey out of here if he "might" want to win a few games.

bflojohn
05-20-2010, 09:43 PM
O.K., have it your way Opie, here is the scouting report I read that sold me on Torell Troup....
Ourlads Guide to the NFL Draft- Professional Edition
Three year starter. Flashes an explosive burst off the line for a big man.
Long arms and big hands to control the action right at him. Functional strength to clog up the running lanes. Projects to a nose tackle. Can two gap and stack the point of attack. Plays with a power base and lower strength with knee bend and leverage. Uses strength and technique to hold his ground against the double-team. Inconsistant use of hands to punch and place to control the opponent. Pushes the pocket. Will occasionally slip a block to sack the Quarterback. Had 108 tackles, 24 tackles for loss, and 8 sacks in his career.
Edge speed: left 1.94 seconds, right 2.11 seconds, arms 34 inches, hands 10 and 1/8 inches, bench pressed 34 reps @225 lbs., and his 10 yard dash time was 1.78 seconds.
Note:
In my world, he is a sound pick and I don't care if you liked X or Y player instead, he's a Buffalo Bills NT and as such he gets my full support!! By the way, for your edification, Terrence Cody's write-up was the second worst in the whole guide with the statement being, " He has a lot of question marks for a "role" player!" The only other player panned by Ourlads was Bruce Campbell.

OpIv37
05-21-2010, 06:51 AM
O.K., have it your way Opie, here is the scouting report I read that sold me on Torell Troup....
Ourlads Guide to the NFL Draft- Professional Edition
Three year starter. Flashes an explosive burst off the line for a big man.
Long arms and big hands to control the action right at him. Functional strength to clog up the running lanes. Projects to a nose tackle. Can two gap and stack the point of attack. Plays with a power base and lower strength with knee bend and leverage. Uses strength and technique to hold his ground against the double-team. Inconsistant use of hands to punch and place to control the opponent. Pushes the pocket. Will occasionally slip a block to sack the Quarterback. Had 108 tackles, 24 tackles for loss, and 8 sacks in his career.
Edge speed: left 1.94 seconds, right 2.11 seconds, arms 34 inches, hands 10 and 1/8 inches, bench pressed 34 reps @225 lbs., and his 10 yard dash time was 1.78 seconds.
Note:
In my world, he is a sound pick and I don't care if you liked X or Y player instead, he's a Buffalo Bills NT and as such he gets my full support!! By the way, for your edification, Terrence Cody's write-up was the second worst in the whole guide with the statement being, " He has a lot of question marks for a "role" player!" The only other player panned by Ourlads was Bruce Campbell.

Here we go again. No one said anything about not supporting him. Of course I HOPE he does well, but hoping he does well and expecting him to do well are two different things.

And also, you shouldn't base your opinion of the pick on one stupid scouting report. There were lots of other scouting reports that said he was a project, and had Linvall and Cody ahead of him. So, if you want to base your opinion on the pick solely on scouting reports, don't go and select the one positive one. Read a bunch and come up with a consensus view. What makes you so confident that this report is more accurate than the ones that had Linvall and Cody ahead of Troup?

And btw, you said that the only players this guide criticized were Cody and Campbell. Stop and think about that for a second- maybe, just maybe, this guide is overly positive about most players. If they only panned two players in the entire draft, that seems to be the logical conclusion. But hey, they said what you wanted to hear, so it MUST be correct, right?

It sounds like your world starts with the conclusion that "Troup was a good pick" then works backwards to find information supporting that "fact," while ignoring information to the contrary.

hydro
05-21-2010, 07:03 AM
53 NFL players on the roster = "Our guys" dumbass. They will grow, of course. They will get better? Maybe. We "might" win a few games in the season would just mean piss poor coaching, therefore I'd want Gailey out of here if he "might" want to win a few games.

Sorry I mean't "THEIR" guys. And what is it with the insults. Might want to change your user name. Hargrove hasn't been here for years... dumbass.

hydro
05-21-2010, 07:07 AM
God you are hilarious! No signing of T.O. a sign the Bills don't care about winning? Is this the same Terrell Owens who is still unemployed? The same guy no one else in the NFL wants? And Nix not signing him is proof we don't want to win???

If anything it shows for once we actually have a GM who knows what he's doing. It's also pretty obvious that your momma ignored you as a baby. That might explain why you seem to need ESPN and NFLN to talk make a fuss over the Bills by signing a "big-time free agent."

Okay Einstein, name the last team that made a mega-free agent deal that won a SB because of that player? On the other hand I can name a bunch of teams that made fat deals and the players sucked. But hey, at least ESPN gave them a knob job on SportsCenter in the off-season.

PTR

Oh, hey guys. Look it is the all knowing and respected Promo the Reject. My only point on Terrell Owens is the fact as people would make it out to be a move for us to win this year. All it would do is make for less playing time for our young players. I don't know where you got that endless rant of high-horseness but grow the **** up. There is nothing in my post that says I think TO is god almighty and will take us to the promise land. Now go back to the rock you crawled from under.

OpIv37
05-21-2010, 07:15 AM
We didn't get a WR. Meh. Wouldn't want to waste draft picks on Marshall or Holmes. We did get Jackson in FA, and Easley in the draft. Along with Johnson and/or Hardy needing to step up this year, we could get lucky or flame out. That's OK if we still need to upgrade next season, though. James Lofton wasn't exactly sought after when he came to Buffalo ("Too old, lost a step etc").

Meh? I see your point on Marshall and Holmes, but our WR's are Evans, Parrish, Johnson, Hardy and Easley and your response is "meh"? Once again, lack of available options don't change the need.

NT, DE, LB...Like it or not every position was addressed, with multiple players. Multiple. Just because they aren't all 'name' players or the exact guy anybody was looking for doesn't mean they absolutely can't make a name for themselves in Buffalo.

You can't be serious. We addressed NT- the most important position in the 3-4 D- with a rookie and a salvage project. We addressed DE with one proven vet and a rookie, despite needing two DE's on the field at a time and having zero DE's with 3-4 experience- just a bunch of converted 4-3 DT's who weren't even that great in the 4-3. LB- we added an aging vet and a couple of rookies to a position that has 4 players on the field at the same time. All this during a defensive transition. Saying we addressed the positions with "multiple" players may be technically correct, but it's substantively misleading. There is no way to argue that any of these positions were upgraded or addressed sufficiently, and it will show on the field.

Buffalogic
05-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Why does it have to be one way or the other? It doesn't.

To build a successful team you always will need to replenish free agent players.

But you first need a core group typically developed through the draft so that free agent replenishing makes an impact instead of using it to plug up holes in a leaky boat.

Without a good boat (drafted players) then having a bunch of corks (free agents) just delay's the sinking of a faulty ship.

bflojohn
05-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Why, exactly is the scouting report stupid, as you put it? Well, it doesn't rate in your estimation! Who the heck are you? Maybe Bill Tobin's mailman? By the way, Ourlads has a reputation in the scouting community, and I am NOT infurring he will be great based on one report! The guide in question has been in existance since 1981, and they employ former scouts. I'll defer to their opinion, of course, IF you don't mind!!
Note: universally, Bruce Campbell got panned by Kiper, McShay, Charles Davis and Mike Mayock, so THAT was NOT anything NEW!!!

OpIv37
05-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Why, exactly is the scouting report stupid, as you put it? Well, it doesn't rate in your estimation! Who the heck are you? Maybe Bill Tobin's mailman? By the way, Ourlads has a reputation in the scouting community, and I am NOT infurring he will be great based on one report! The guide in question has been in existance since 1981, and they employ former scouts. I'll defer to their opinion, of course, IF you don't mind!!
Note: universally, Bruce Campbell got panned by Kiper, McShay, Charles Davis and Mike Mayock, so THAT was NOT anything NEW!!!

Why their opinion over the dozens of other scouting reports that are just as reputable and also employ former scouts? The answer: Ourlads said what you wanted to hear. Therefore, in your estimation they are the best.

You are unable to think critically. YOU personally stated that Ourlads gave good reviews to everyone except Campbell and Cody. Doesn't that strike you as a little odd? Some publications are biased towards the positive, some are biased towards the negative, but it's still bias.

You are unable to think critically. MANY other reputable scouting publications weren't nearly as high on Troup, or at least not as high on him as they were on Cody. Yet, you choose to believe Ourlads because they said what you wanted to hear.

Who am I? I'm just someone who's capable of evaluating information objectively instead of automatically believing things simply because they're positive.

billz83
05-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Same ol story every single season...this isnt our year in next year or 2 years from now or itz going to take "time" to gel..itz ALL BS! EXCUSES! Either u WIN or u DONT..simple as that... Winners dont write off a couple seasons!! for the past decade we have given these worthless GMz and coaches 3 years to "turn this around" and all that nonsense..funny how sum GMz and coaches can turn things around in 1 year but for sum reason the BILLS always need 3-4 years..hahaha pathetic.

bflojohn
05-21-2010, 07:55 PM
You don't know me puppy, so back off!! Opie, you are an obnoxious little twit, I do study the draft with multiple imput, and guess what.... I aced critical thinking!!