What are the chances of Wang starting LT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

What are the chances of Wang starting LT?

I didn't watch much of him in college. I have heard he is very athletic, strong and has a good work ethic.

I haven't heard anything technique wise or experience.

Being a rookie, drafted by the new regime and competing against scrubs at his position, is there a possibility that Wang could be our LT?

Bell is coming off an injury, Green is a right tackle, and Meredith is not amazing.

Could Wang, if he has a strong camp, get the nod?

And does he have the skills to be a solid starter after getting some experience?
    I am The Batman.
  • WeAreArthurMoates
    • Feb 2009

Re: What are the chances of Wang starting LT?

From the looks and sounds of it Wang needs at least a year to improve his game. I do think in a year or two that he could be solid starter, that's why I want us to sign Flozell.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

right now, in my mind, wang is bell. he has a big story attached to his name. Bell was the illegitimate child of karl malone, Wang is a rising star in China.

they were both late picks but because of their story people want them to succeed faster. Bell was rushed into action and from some reports I heard with people close to the team say that he isn't really built to play LT. That he looks incredibly softer than the other lineman...meaning he just looks like a fat guy where the other guys look like big muscular guys.

Wang is raw and needs time. rushing him into action will get him hurt, and impede his ability to play for us. i just don't see him being a LT out the gates.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
        Pinkerton's son
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by trapezeus
        right now, in my mind, wang is bell. he has a big story attached to his name. Bell was the illegitimate child of karl malone, Wang is a rising star in China.

they were both late picks but because of their story people want them to succeed faster. Bell was rushed into action and from some reports I heard with people close to the team say that he isn't really built to play LT. That he looks incredibly softer than the other lineman...meaning he just looks like a fat guy where the other guys look like big muscular guys.

Wang is raw and needs time. rushing him into action will get him hurt, and impede his ability to play for us. i just don't see him being a LT out the gates.
        Well both Wang and Bell seem have the athleticism needed to man the LT spot and fend off the quick pass rushers, but Bell definitely looked weak and susceptible to bull rushes last year, and Wang is probably in the same boat. One good thing is that they can bulk up and get stronger. One bad thing is that they NEED to bulk up and get stronger or they will never pan out.

Also, I think Calloway has just as good of a chance to start as either Bell or Wang...he was rated higher than Wang.
        Last edited by Pinkerton Security; 05-20-2010, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

I think Bell was developing before he got hurt. He is athletic and coachable. I don't think we should write him off quite yet. I think he will start, with Wang, Meredith and Green battling for the RT job, and the backup roles.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• BillsWin
            man amongst boys
            • Oct 2008

I agree on Calloway. That is one kid I actually did get to see and I think he has starter potential.

In my perfect world we get Gaither and our line looks like this:

Gaither, Levitre, Wood, Calloway, Green (or Bell or Meredith)

I don't want to see Hangnarter anywhere near the center position this season.
            I am The Batman.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

Isn't Calloway projected to play Guard?

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                Pinkerton's son
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by BillsWin
                I agree on Calloway. That is one kid I actually did get to see and I think he has starter potential.

Yeah I'd love it if we could put Wood at center, i think hes exactly what we need in the middle of our line: an extremely smart and well prepared guy who can also knock the stuffing out of people.

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

I think the chances of Wang starting are fairly low. He needs lots of work on his pas blocking.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                    • Sep 2004

My wife said Wang would improve if he gets bigger.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

I hope the chances are at 0% in all honesty.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DesertFox24
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by BillsWin

Honestly I could see the line being

Bell, Levitre, Wood, Calloway, Meredith (Green, Hang are primary backups). I would also look for one or two undrafteds to make it with Chambers being another guy since he can play inside or out in a pinch.

Comment

• psubills62
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2008

Well, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Wang starting later in the season, once we hit 9-10 losses. Calloway might be more involved then as well. Depends on injuries, as always, though.

Overall, I seriously doubt Wang earns a starting job in TC.
                          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• bflojohn
                            • Aug 2005

My memory of Ed Wang is the Senior Bowl Practices and he got planted on his a$$ by Brandon Graham (Philadelphia Eagles 1st round pick) during a pass rush drill. So in terms of being ready, I'd highly doubt it, but the one-on-ones at the Senior Bowl are actually a bad comparison to game time conditions. He did have 37 starts at Virginia Tech, so may the best man win and start come September!!

Comment

• Buddo
                              • Mar 2007

I get the impression with Nix and Gailey, that when they describe how they see a guy doing, it probably is how it will happen. Wang is a LT prospect, and will be coached as such. However, I don't think either Nix or Gailey said in any interview, that they thought he would be starting this year. Next year might be a possibility, but I doubt they are actually looking for him to solve the LT positional 'issue', this year.
                              Spiller, Troup and Carrington would be guys they expect to see on the field this year. Easley might have a shot, but I think 'next year' is more likely. I wouldn't be too surprised if Moats or Batten actually managed to get on the field, but I think much depends on how quickly they make the adjustment to LB. Brown is probably the future backup QB, and is not likely to see any action. As they are looking at the RT (can't remember his name) to move to Guard, I can't see him being a factor either.
                              Of course, any of those guys could well see some Special Teams play, but I don't believe any of them were drafted solely with that in mind, although I think the scouts felt that both the LBs would contribute there immediately.

Sorry for the digression, but I thought I might as well run through the rest of the picks, while I was at it.

Comment

Working...
                              X