PDA

View Full Version : Kassian in same boat as Myers was

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-20-2010, 05:07 PM
He can't go to Portland because because he's too young. But the Sabres can send him back to juniors. Kassian is in the same boat as Myers was, he either makes the team or he goes back to jr's

"He's someone that we'll talk to about a contract after the Memorial Cup," Regier said. "We'll see where he is. He's got another year of junior eligibility, and if he needs to go back that'll be fine, too."http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/05/19/1055356/regier-optimistic-rivet-will-be.html

JD
05-20-2010, 08:17 PM
I sense another success story coming out of Buffalo's farm :up:

THATHURMANATOR
05-21-2010, 09:05 AM
He has the size and grit already. I can't wait for him to be up.

SkateZilla
05-21-2010, 09:07 AM
its sad you can play NHL Prior to AHL, shouldnt it be the other way around? or they just want players to stay in the JRs longer?

DMBcrew36
05-21-2010, 09:50 AM
So stupid -- he doesn't need another year of junior - he needs a year of AHL to keep progressing

chernobylwraiths
05-21-2010, 01:39 PM
So stupid -- he doesn't need another year of junior - he needs a year of AHL to keep progressing

If Regier stays as our GM, I can see this kid playing most of next year in juniors and all of the next in the minors because "he has to earn it". That us unless he really wows Ruff next year like Myers did, but I think Myers is an aberration.

Dr. Lecter
05-21-2010, 01:52 PM
its sad you can play NHL Prior to AHL, shouldnt it be the other way around? or they just want players to stay in the JRs longer?

It is to protect the JRs.

RockStar36
05-21-2010, 01:56 PM
If he stays in the OHL, I'm going to every one of his games in Erie next season.

qcsabresfan84
05-21-2010, 01:56 PM
If Regier stays as our GM, I can see this kid playing most of next year in juniors and all of the next in the minors because "he has to earn it". That us unless he really wows Ruff next year like Myers did, but I think Myers is an aberration.

Is this necessarily a bad thing? There aren't a lot of nineteen year olds who are ready for the NHL like Myers was. It's entirely possible that Kassian needs a couple more years to be able to contribute without being a liability. He is having a great playoffs in the OHL, but that doesn't really mean he can play NHL already.

It's unfortunate that he wouldn't be able to play AHL next year, which would probably be the right path, but it would be more unfortunate to rush him into the NHL and stunt his growth and ruin the prospect. If he's going to be a great player, I'm willing to wait a couple years to see him if it's the right thing to do.

RockStar36
05-21-2010, 02:14 PM

I see zero issues with this. Aren't they supposed to "earn" their roster spot?

DMBcrew36
05-21-2010, 02:53 PM

Lets be real... Kassian hasn't shown what Myers did in World Junior -- he hasn't had that supreme 'coming of age' that we saw with Myers, where he was all the talk around the junior stage. It all depends on what Kassian does at camp this Summer.

Ebenezer
05-21-2010, 03:39 PM
DR was already asked this while on the radio. Right from DR's answer: he has nothing to prove but is not ready for the pro's. If he ends up in JR.s they will have to give him special coaching to round out his game. Look for him to be on the 10 game contract to start the season.

DMBcrew36
05-21-2010, 04:14 PM
DR was already asked this while on the radio. Right from DR's answer: he has nothing to prove but is not ready for the pro's. If he ends up in JR.s they will have to give him special coaching to round out his game. Look for him to be on the 10 game contract to start the season.

Sounds good to me.

As I said a couple posts ago - I think he's ready for the AHL, but not the NHL. Seeing as he can't go to Portland, it's probably best he goes back to junior.

SabreEleven
05-22-2010, 12:22 AM
I see zero issues with this. Aren't they supposed to "earn" their roster spot?

When is Pominville and Roy going to earn their roster spots?

Dr. Lecter
05-22-2010, 05:09 AM
When is Pominville and Roy going to earn their roster spots?

Before Connolly does!!!!!

SabreEleven
05-22-2010, 06:07 AM
Before Connolly does!!!!!

Who lead this team in scoring?

Dr. Lecter
05-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Who lead this team in scoring?

Who has as many goals as you or I do in their last 23 playoff games?

Jan Reimers
05-22-2010, 09:36 AM
I say bring Kassian up, if he shows ANYTHING in camp. He has to be better than some of the pussies we have up front.

Ground Chuck
05-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Wonder how good he is at roller hockey?

DMBcrew36
05-22-2010, 04:48 PM
I say bring Kassian up, if he shows ANYTHING in camp. He has to be better than some of the pussies we have up front.

He'll be at camp, which is pretty obvious, considering everyone is there. But he's going to have to really blow people away in preseason to even make the opening day roster for a 10 game trial. And then he'll have to really blow everyone away in those 10 games, like Myers did, to essentially make the decision for Regier.

If I was a betting man, I'd say he plays another year of junior.

THATHURMANATOR
05-26-2010, 08:04 AM
As most 19 year old JRs are. It isn't like many make NHL teams at that age. It isn't just Reiger.

DMBcrew36
05-26-2010, 08:23 AM
As most 19 year old JRs are. It isn't like many make NHL teams at that age. It isn't just Reiger.

Unless you're the GM of a really ****ty club, you shouldn't need to rush Jr. players to the NHL. Ofcourse unless the kid is absolutely head and shoulders above other junior players, like Myers was. I don't think Kassian is.