X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

Jairus Byrd asks you to lead by example

Jairus Byrd doesn't want you to donate a kidney. He doesn't expect you to contribute $10,000 to charity.

All he wants you to do is something nice when you're not obligated.

"Just simple things, like helping an elderly lady you don't know carry her bags," Byrd said. "A lot of people talk a big game. 'You know, it would be really nice to do something for that lady.' Take the time out of your day and help someone else out."

Byrd
    Byrd, the Buffalo Bills safety and the NFL's only two-time runner-up for defensive rookie of the year, has launched a new cause to encourage people simply to be good Samaritans. Louder Than Words is a Twitter page that promotes what Byrd calls "random acts of kindness, a pay-it-forward kind of thing."

Byrd started the project to give people an alternative to the headlines dominated by the likes of Tiger Woods, Ben Roethlisberger and Lawrence Taylor.

"We met with him after the season and he said 'There's so much negativity in the world, it would be nice to associate myself with something positive,'" said Tom Savage, managing director of pro football public relations for U.S. Sports Advisors. "He really wanted to start something that was all positive."

Jairus Byrd doesn't want you to donate a kidney. He doesn't expect you to contribute $10,000 to charity.All he wants you to do is something nice when you're not obligated.
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: Jairus Byrd asks you to lead by example

I FRIGGIN LOVE THIS GUY.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

That's awesome. In a world of Rothlisbergers and Pacmans... you have to appreciate this.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• BillsWin
        man amongst boys
        • Oct 2008

Could we have picked a better kid in the second round?

The Bills might have struck gold with this one!
        I am The Batman.

Comment

• Buffalogic
          Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
          • Feb 2006

When the bills moved up for this guy in last years draft I was like huhhh?

But man they sure did get it right. Thanks for leaving us with such a great parting gift Jauron
          Last edited by Buffalogic; 05-21-2010, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

wasn't he a fourth rounder?

anyways, nice story. if he gets better from last year, that would be amazing.

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Wagon Circler 22
              When the bills moved up for this guy in last years draft I was like huhhh?

But man they sure did get it right. Thanks for leaving us with such a great parting gift Jauron :golfclap:
              I don't think they moved up. They traded up for Levitre, but I'm quite sure they picked Byrd without moving up.

Either way, Byrd has been a great find so far. He was obviously great on the field, and should only get better. And now it's apparent that his off the field demeanor shouldn't cause any problems, which is very refreshing.
              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• BillsWin
                man amongst boys
                • Oct 2008

Yeah, they moved up for Levitre not Byrd. Byrd fell into our laps!
                I am The Batman.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                  Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                  • Feb 2006

You're right they traded up for Levitre.

Byrd and the aforementioned Levitre were both second rounders. If Maybin decides he wants to play like the 11th overall pick what a string of players that is...Maybin, Wood, Byrd, Levitre.
                  Last edited by Buffalogic; 05-21-2010, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
                    • Jan 2010

I really love this kid. And by the looks of it, Him and Spiller are going to be the lead by example type of guys for this team.

Comment

• hydro
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by trapezeus
                      wasn't he a fourth rounder?
                      Nope
                      BERNIAC!

Comment

• Ed
                        Dude
                        • Sep 2002

I have to admit that I was one of the people that was like "WTF!" when I saw that we picked a CB in the 2nd round, but he's a keeper for sure. I'm excited to see what he can do if he's a 100% healthy and starts the whole season. I didn't know last year that he was only playing at about 70% for most of his games.

Good kid. I would like to continue to believe that we don't have to sacrifice character in order to have talented players. More Byrd and Spiller types are welcome.

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Ed
                          I have to admit that I was one of the people that was like "WTF!" when I saw that we picked a CB in the 2nd round, but he's a keeper for sure. I'm excited to see what he can do if he's a 100% healthy and starts the whole season. I didn't know last year that he was only playing at about 70% for most of his games.

Good kid. I would like to continue to believe that we don't have to sacrifice character in order to have talented players. More Byrd and Spiller types are welcome.

Bolded part...couldn't have said it better myself.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by psubills62
                            I don't think they moved up. They traded up for Levitre, but I'm quite sure they picked Byrd without moving up.

Either way, Byrd has been a great find so far. He was obviously great on the field, and should only get better. And now it's apparent that his off the field demeanor shouldn't cause any problems, which is very refreshing.
                            I forgot which team (Packers?) but it was widely reported the Bills was offered 2010's first round pick for Baird's pick. And the Bills turned it down.

At this moment, it looks very good for us. But we'll see how it plays out down the road.

Bills had a bit inside info because Bills DC at the time is best buddy with Baird's father and practically watched him grow up.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                              • May 2003

It's nice to have good kids like Byrd (and many others) on this team. It's a welcome relief from Lynch.
                              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X