PDA

View Full Version : Jairus Byrd asks you to lead by example

madness
05-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Jairus Byrd (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12613) doesn't want you to donate a kidney. He doesn't expect you to contribute $10,000 to charity.

All he wants you to do is something nice when you're not obligated.

"Just simple things, like helping an elderly lady you don't know carry her bags," Byrd said. "A lot of people talk a big game. 'You know, it would be really nice to do something for that lady.' Take the time out of your day and help someone else out."

<!--INLINE MUG-->http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nfl/players/65/12613.jpg
Byrd
<!--END INLINE MUG-->Byrd, the Buffalo Bills (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf) safety and the NFL's only two-time runner-up for defensive rookie of the year, has launched a new cause to encourage people simply to be good Samaritans. Louder Than Words is a Twitter page (http://twitter.com/youareLTW) that promotes what Byrd calls "random acts of kindness, a pay-it-forward kind of thing."

Byrd started the project to give people an alternative to the headlines dominated by the likes of Tiger Woods, Ben Roethlisberger (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5536) and Lawrence Taylor.

"We met with him after the season and he said 'There's so much negativity in the world, it would be nice to associate myself with something positive,'" said Tom Savage, managing director of pro football public relations for U.S. Sports Advisors. "He really wanted to start something that was all positive."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/13822/jairus-byrd-asks-you-to-lead-by-example

Pinkerton Security
05-21-2010, 12:51 PM
I FRIGGIN LOVE THIS GUY.

The King
05-21-2010, 12:52 PM
That's awesome. In a world of Rothlisbergers and Pacmans... you have to appreciate this.

BillsWin
05-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Could we have picked a better kid in the second round?

The Bills might have struck gold with this one!

Buffalogic
05-21-2010, 02:09 PM
When the bills moved up for this guy in last years draft I was like huhhh?

But man they sure did get it right. Thanks for leaving us with such a great parting gift Jauron :bf1:

trapezeus
05-21-2010, 02:10 PM
wasn't he a fourth rounder?

anyways, nice story. if he gets better from last year, that would be amazing.

psubills62
05-21-2010, 02:13 PM
When the bills moved up for this guy in last years draft I was like huhhh?

But man they sure did get it right. Thanks for leaving us with such a great parting gift Jauron :golfclap:

I don't think they moved up. They traded up for Levitre, but I'm quite sure they picked Byrd without moving up.

Either way, Byrd has been a great find so far. He was obviously great on the field, and should only get better. And now it's apparent that his off the field demeanor shouldn't cause any problems, which is very refreshing.

BillsWin
05-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah, they moved up for Levitre not Byrd. Byrd fell into our laps!

Buffalogic
05-21-2010, 02:16 PM
You're right they traded up for Levitre.

Byrd and the aforementioned Levitre were both second rounders. If Maybin decides he wants to play like the 11th overall pick what a string of players that is...Maybin, Wood, Byrd, Levitre.

ZAZusmc03
05-21-2010, 02:17 PM
I really love this kid. And by the looks of it, Him and Spiller are going to be the lead by example type of guys for this team.

hydro
05-21-2010, 05:00 PM
wasn't he a fourth rounder?

Nope

Ed
05-21-2010, 05:09 PM
I have to admit that I was one of the people that was like "WTF!" when I saw that we picked a CB in the 2nd round, but he's a keeper for sure. I'm excited to see what he can do if he's a 100% healthy and starts the whole season. I didn't know last year that he was only playing at about 70% for most of his games.

Good kid. I would like to continue to believe that we don't have to sacrifice character in order to have talented players. More Byrd and Spiller types are welcome.

ZAZusmc03
05-22-2010, 08:51 AM
I have to admit that I was one of the people that was like "WTF!" when I saw that we picked a CB in the 2nd round, but he's a keeper for sure. I'm excited to see what he can do if he's a 100% healthy and starts the whole season. I didn't know last year that he was only playing at about 70% for most of his games.

Good kid. I would like to continue to believe that we don't have to sacrifice character in order to have talented players. More Byrd and Spiller types are welcome.

Bolded part...couldn't have said it better myself.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-22-2010, 09:19 AM
I don't think they moved up. They traded up for Levitre, but I'm quite sure they picked Byrd without moving up.

Either way, Byrd has been a great find so far. He was obviously great on the field, and should only get better. And now it's apparent that his off the field demeanor shouldn't cause any problems, which is very refreshing.

I forgot which team (Packers?) but it was widely reported the Bills was offered 2010's first round pick for Baird's pick. And the Bills turned it down.

At this moment, it looks very good for us. But we'll see how it plays out down the road.

Bills had a bit inside info because Bills DC at the time is best buddy with Baird's father and practically watched him grow up.

Jan Reimers
05-22-2010, 09:24 AM
It's nice to have good kids like Byrd (and many others) on this team. It's a welcome relief from Lynch.

Crisis
05-22-2010, 10:11 AM
What's with Buffalo fans and misspelling names with the letter y in them?

I've seen thirty different spellings of Byrd and Myers on this board the past year already.

tat2dmike77
05-22-2010, 11:10 AM
This guy rules and soon the world will know that the Byrd is the word

Griff
05-22-2010, 11:26 AM
I hope he'll be one of our future all time greats.

Oaf
05-22-2010, 12:19 PM
This was one of the worst picks in the entire draft.

:chuckle:

ServoBillieves
05-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Byrd does something great, its a soft piece/B news. Roethlisberger and L.T. rape people and its front page for weeks. Where is this world going? Good for him.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Byrd will have 10 picks this year!

Night Train
05-23-2010, 06:09 AM
Talent and high character. Seems to be a theme with many of the Bills picks over the last couple of years. Keep them coming and purge the problem children.