PDA

View Full Version : Lynch the good guy?

BillsWin
05-23-2010, 04:28 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AswUF6m9N9yze6e3_84wJtxDubYF?slug=ms-lynchfuture052310

Yet on several occasions last year Lynch wondered if the negative public perception about him impacted the behavior of authority figures.
“When I’m out, I’m real cautious about what I do,” Lynch said. “I’ve dealt with a lot. I don’t want to call it unfair, but there’s a lot of little things I have to deal with.”
After a September home game against the Bucs, one of the contests Lynch missed because of the suspension, he was pulled over by police officers while driving out of the stadium parking lot.
“The police made a big deal that my music was too loud,” he recalled. “I said, ‘I am at the stadium. You’ve got people out here tailgating, having parties, with TVs, and music.’ I mean, they actually had a live band playing. You had people drinking, making noise.
“[After another] game I was leaving the facility and somebody threw a beer can at my car. One of my teammates was behind me and saw it; he went to the police officer in front of me and told him what happened. The officer said, ‘Well, there’s a lot of people out here with a lot of beer cans. What, you want me to ask everybody if they threw a beer can and try to find out who did it?’ ”
In January, Hamburg police investigated an incident in which Lynch allegedly stole $20 from a Buffalo police detective’s wife at a TGI Friday’s. Hendrickson, Lynch’s agent, called the allegations “false and malicious” and described the Buffalo police officer in question as a “racist rogue cop.” No charges were filed.
Lynch said he got to the point in Buffalo where he felt like staying home was the best and only option. “I was staying in with my uncle Lee and my cousin Sam, and it got to a point where [playing video games] was all I was doing,” Lynch said. “And I got so good at the Wii bowling game I could bowl a strike from the other room. That’s how good I got.
“That’s why I went out and got my two puppies – that’s all I was going to do was take care of the dogs. … Then [the homeowners’ association] started telling me they were going to fine me. I’d had ‘em out playing outside, so I figured, maybe if I just keep ‘em in the house it’ll be OK. It wasn’t.
“They called animal control and had ‘em come out – they said my dogs were, like, vicious. The lady got over there to check my dogs. She said, ‘Well, I couldn’t see where they say these dogs are vicious.’ I had bought a six-foot gate and put it in my garage, so I could keep ‘em in, and she checked that out and found no problem. But I still started to get those fine slips.
“So now what do I do? I can only play so much Madden.”

If half the stuff he's said is true, then something went horribly wrong here.

Pinkerton Security
05-23-2010, 04:32 PM
I really dont think Marshawn is a bad egg at all, he is from a rough area and all but he does seem to have just kinda been stupid about the couple things he has gotten in trouble for, and maybe he is kinda making his own bad luck in a few of these situations. these things above are kindof eye-opening, however, if they're true.

Nighthawk
05-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Stop doing stupid s**t and everybody will leave you alone.

BillsWin
05-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Here are some interesting quotes:

Like when [the homeowners’ association] told me I couldn’t have a dog. They told me that for every day I had them, they would fine me $100 a dog. The people next to me had dogs. The people down the street had dogs. But the homeowners’ association said mine had to go. So I got rid of the dogs. And now they made me sign a paper saying I would never get another dog as long as I live there – and notarize it.

Lynch said he got to the point in Buffalo where he felt like staying home was the best and only option. “I was staying in with my uncle Lee and my cousin Sam, and it got to a point where [playing video games] was all I was doing,” Lynch said. “And I got so good at the Wii bowling game I could bowl a strike from the other room. That’s how good I got.
“That’s why I went out and got my two puppies – that’s all I was going to do was take care of the dogs. … Then [the homeowners’ association] started telling me they were going to fine me. I’d had ‘em out playing outside, so I figured, maybe if I just keep ‘em in the house it’ll be OK. It wasn’t.
“They called animal control and had ‘em come out – they said my dogs were, like, vicious. The lady got over there to check my dogs. She said, ‘Well, I couldn’t see where they say these dogs are vicious.’ I had bought a six-foot gate and put it in my garage, so I could keep ‘em in, and she checked that out and found no problem. But I still started to get those fine slips.

The whole dog ordeal seems fishy. I'd like to hear the home owner's association side of the story. But the way Lynch tells the part about animal control ruling the dogs were fine and not vicious, but he still got fined. Weird stuff.

While Lynch may be tentative about going out in public, he is bringing a go-for-broke mentality into the 2010 season. He recently surprised Hendrickson by telling the agent he intended to participate in some of the Bills’ OTA sessions and to fight for playing time in training camp.
“He’s in great spirits,” Hendrickson said. “He’s looking forward to competing and being the back he’s capable of being. People are writing him off, but he’s only 24 years old and he has a lot of great football left.”

“What will you see from me this year? Beast mode.”
Whatever his football future holds, Lynch vowed that his days of misbehavior are behind him and that he’ll work to change the way he’s perceived in Buffalo and elsewhere.
“If I was that much of a menace, if I was really that bad – the way that people look at me, have this perception of me – I’d probably be in a much worse situation,” he said. “Yeah, I’ve done some bad things. But I’m bouncing back.

Nighthawk
05-23-2010, 04:40 PM
It is his job to change how people view him. He built this image and now he has to live with it.

BillsWin
05-23-2010, 04:44 PM
It is his job to change how people view him. He built this image and now he has to live with it.

I agree 100%, but like I said in my original post. If half the stuff Lynch said is true, there should be some re-evaluating of his situation.

He still needs to prove he's changed, but there could be a whole new side of things the fans were never told.

M
05-23-2010, 04:44 PM
I've always liked Marshawn (even with the stupid mistakes). Hopefully, he can rebound and become a better person / player. And about the homeowner's association, maybe they just have a ban against pit bulls and not dogs in general.

Michael82
05-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Very interesting article. I think many fans have turned on him because instead of embracing the challenge that Fred Jackson gave him after his suspension, Lynch basically gave up and let Jackson steal the job and never give it back. Lynch has a ton of potential, but his off the field issues have been the biggest thing that has pushed people off the bandwagon. If he would have owned up to it all, instead of ignoring the media and refusing to speak to them, I have a feeling more people would be on his side. I'm glad that he's finally coming out to tell his side and thrilled he's coming for the OTAs and Mini Camp, but I just think it might be too little too late.

T-Long
05-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Boo hoo Marshawn. Honestly, don't hit people with your car and then speed off, don't carry a loaded weapon in your car, and don't steal $20 from people that actually need it.

YardRat
05-23-2010, 05:08 PM
I still think the $20 bill deal is a fiasco. Can't just ignore the other two incidents, though.

Dude is one miss-step from a full year suspension...it's not like those get handed out for mis-perceptions.

jimbledsoe
05-23-2010, 05:10 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AswUF6m9N9yze6e3_84wJtxDubYF?slug=ms-lynchfuture052310

It sounds to me like the HOA is biased against Pit Bulls. That is very common in our country. They were made out to be very vicous, bad animals. If he does in fact have Pit Bulls, that is probably why he is getting hassled that way. I would guess that if he had a couple of Labs nothing would have happened.

sdbillsfan2
05-23-2010, 05:29 PM

You said it yourself BW ......it's a matter of "IF" .
With Marshawn's track record, the" if "gets clouded over. There are two sides to every story. I'd feel more comfortable hearing both sides of the allegations.
Truth is .. HE lost his job to Jackson . It wasn't stolen or a gift.

darthokeefe
05-23-2010, 05:33 PM
act like a thug and you get treated like a thug....You made your bed Marshawn now sleep in it

tat2dmike77
05-23-2010, 05:40 PM
You said it yourself BW ......it's a matter of "IF" .
With Marshawn's track record, the" if "gets clouded over. There are two sides to every story. I'd feel more comfortable hearing both sides of the allegations.
Truth is .. HE lost his job to Jackson . It wasn't stolen or a gift.

Thats the point. Yeah he put himself in bad situations but at the end of the day he could have taken his job back. He didn't he played half ass last season and the only person he has to blame is himself.

What does he want a free pass? Dude you were the #12 pick start acting like it. Beast mode is BS until he starts producing he is nothing more than a product of his own hype.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-23-2010, 06:16 PM
its no secret that most of buffalo is racist...

G Wolly
05-23-2010, 06:23 PM

And most of the country

cordog
05-23-2010, 08:07 PM

Oh of course....its all about race. I don't hear about too many Fred Jackson, Lee Evans, Aaron Maybin, Marcus Stroud, Terrence McGee, Kavika Mitchell or Jarius Byrd run ins with the law. This guy is no victim.

Thurmal
05-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Look, I love Lynch, but he is wrong here.

Is he forgetting that he was the fan favorite before all his off-the-field drama?

Did people turn on him b/c he was black, or b/c he was constantly getting in trouble? If you are a Bill, you're treated like royalty in that town unless you do something to screw it up. Marshawn screwed up a couple of times.

As far as the dog situation, my apartment complex won't allow me to own a pit bull (or a lot of other breeds, for that matter) either. I am being discriminated against, or is my housing development just trying to eliminate a potential legal nightmare by banning breeds that have a well-documented history of being super-agressive?

He's still one of my faves and I hope we don't trade him, but he needs to hold himself accountable for some of his trouble.

kelly2reed4six
05-23-2010, 08:40 PM
I think Lynch is likely capable of changing. In a sense, he has been a victim....the victim of a crappy coaching staff in the past who held no players accountable for anything! They did not try to establish any real leaders on the team. A guy like lynch needs a good "mentor."......someone who will really take him under their wing and show him how to be a class act. When your coach requires no accountability, who's that person going to be?

I really hope that Gailey can get these guys in the right mental state! There are some guys that need to step up and be REAL leaders and watch out for guys like lynch!

bigbub2352
05-23-2010, 08:54 PM
should have traded him and used the 3rd rd pick on a LT prospect

DMBcrew36
05-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Maybe he's finally figuring it out -- stop putting yourself into ****ty situations.

ServoBillieves
05-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Oh of course....its all about race. I don't hear about too many Fred Jackson, Lee Evans, Aaron Maybin, Marcus Stroud, Terrence McGee, Kavika Mitchell or Jarius Byrd run ins with the law. This guy is no victim.

*sigh*... Kawika, Jairus.

Why is that so hard for people.

Griff
05-24-2010, 02:17 AM
I was once the victim of a robbery, and I was questioned as a suspect, does that mean I was the victim of a rogue cop? No. Grow up Lynch.

TigerJ
05-24-2010, 08:48 AM
I personally don't like the notion of living where there is a homeowner's association. They often have very strict rules. This particular one could easily have a rule regarding pet ownership. If they do and Lynch signed on, and is in violation, he has no argument. Frankly, we don't have the whole story here. Maybe Lynch is being unjustly harrassed. Maybe he's not a very good neighbor and fellow residents in the homeowner's association are trying to use the rules to get rid of him for that reason. Until I know, I'm not going to express much more of an opinion than that.

billz83
05-24-2010, 08:58 AM
This is just more hate on hood niggaz..even if they arent bad people..people love judging other people and actin like they **** dont stink..a big **** U to all the covert racist mutha****** in this world..may death find all of u quick!

Lexwhat
05-24-2010, 09:12 AM
I was once the victim of a robbery, and I was questioned as a suspect, does that mean I was the victim of a rogue cop? No. Grow up Lynch.

Yea, surely YOUR robbery incident and his $20 bill incident are one and the same...

Your logic here is trash.

No one here knows exactly what happened during that particular incident, unless he/she was there to witness it. Get over yourself.

(Disclaimer: I'm not calling Lynch the good guy, so don't accuse me of that).

Griff
05-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Yea, surely YOUR robbery incident and his $20 bill incident are one and the same...

Your logic here is trash.

No one here knows exactly what happened during that particular incident, unless he/she was there to witness it. Get over yourself.

(Disclaimer: I'm not calling Lynch the good guy, so don't accuse me of that).

yeah you're right how we both were unfairly harassed by a cop in no way makes our stories similar. Get over yourself.

Lexwhat
05-24-2010, 10:36 AM

yeah you're right how we both were unfairly harassed by a cop in no way makes our stories similar. Get over yourself.

First you say you weren't the victim of a rogue cop, and now you claim you were unfairly harassed by that same cop? Which is it???

In your 2nd post, you're also saying that Lynch was unfairly harassed by a cop ("we both were unfairly harassed..."). If that's the case, Lynch (or anyone else) has every right to complain, as NO ONE should be subject to unjust harassment from an individual in power.

Your response?

trapezeus
05-24-2010, 10:52 AM
lynch kind of comes off as the guy who always is a step away from serious trouble but can schmooze his way out for a while.

i'm skeptical of how he's stuck in his house and people are giving him a hard time just because he is who he is.

like others said, he squandered away his free pass that bills fans give their stars. If people threw bottles at him maliciously, etc, that's wrong on their part.

but the guy seems to have a track record of being chinzy in bars, he seems to be very childish when give total freedom to do what ever he wants. maybe being stuck in his house focusing on football is good for him football wise. Otherwise, he might have to suck it up and do some really good PR work. get out and get involved in the community if he wants to be treated well again.

Or he can just give up and wait to get traded or moved.

it's a very victim-ish, "woe is me, i've done nothing wrong ever" attitude that isn't really helping his case.

Griff
05-24-2010, 11:27 AM
First you say you weren't the victim of a rogue cop, and now you claim you were unfairly harassed by that same cop? Which is it???

In your 2nd post, you're also saying that Lynch was unfairly harassed by a cop ("we both were unfairly harassed..."). If that's the case, Lynch (or anyone else) has every right to complain, as NO ONE should be subject to unjust harassment from an individual in power.

Your response?

I was unfairly harassed, that doesn't mean he was a rogue cop, it just means he was an idiot grasping at straws.

sorry we we're both "harassed", I apologize, I thought you were intelligent enough to read between the lines, my bad. Oh and if you haven't noticed, thats how police work is done. They ask questions, interrogate people. But then I shouldn't be surprised that I'm explaining this to you.

YoungEz
05-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Remember what McGahee said about Buffalo, not far off from what Lynch is saying now...

Griff
05-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Remember what McGahee said about Buffalo, not far off from what Lynch is saying now...

birds of a feather screw up together.

feldspar
05-24-2010, 05:20 PM
I really dont think Marshawn is a bad egg at all, he is from a rough area and all but he does seem to have just kinda been stupid about the couple things he has gotten in trouble for, and maybe he is kinda making his own bad luck in a few of these situations. these things above are kindof eye-opening, however, if they're true.

Somebody wouldn't let him have a couple of pit bulls in his condo, somebody threw a beer can at his car, and the police pulled him over for having his music too loud. Wow, I hope he's alright. That is an awful lot to overcome. Poor guy.