PDA

View Full Version : This Comment by Chan Scares Me a Little

mchurchfie
05-24-2010, 11:51 AM
"Unless I know a guy or somebody on the staff is willing to stand on the table for him, I won't even talk to him," said Gailey, referring to prospective staff members.

So what are saying Chan? If there is a person out there with an outstanding resume and good qualifications, unless he's your buddy you won't even consider them?? Are we stuck with another coach that has brought in all of his gumbas?

Nighthawk
05-24-2010, 11:54 AM
He works for Ralph...unless Ralph knows somebody, he doesn't hire them. Seems about right to me.

ParanoidAndroid
05-24-2010, 11:54 AM
He just might be referring to a person who has made a name for themselves. I know it's a huuuuuge stretch. :rolleyes:

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Most of the NFL is still very much a good ol' boys system

Stewie
05-24-2010, 12:01 PM
this would bother me if the guy was 35. It doesn't bother me with Chan. He's been around, he knows enough good coaches to pick amongst them, why go outside of what you know if you don't have to?

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 12:18 PM
this would bother me if the guy was 35. It doesn't bother me with Chan. He's been around, he knows enough good coaches to pick amongst them, why go outside of what you know if you don't have to?

Can you name any asst off his tree that you would consider to be a good coach right now?

Head Coaches who produce good assistants, I dont worry about with this kind of comment, those that don't produce them, I do worry about....greatly.

Stewie
05-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Can you name any asst off his tree that you would consider to be a good coach right now?

Head Coaches who produce good assistants, I dont worry about with this kind of comment, those that don't produce them, I do worry about....greatly.

I don't wor for a pro personnel department

The same maxim holds true for any job, I don't care what you do.

I agree that good mentors are important for career development. They are not the be-all end all.

And, if you need to pick resources to complete a task or project, you certainly start where you have familiarity.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
05-24-2010, 12:25 PM
I think it's safe to say that this is the least of the worrys for this season. ONe sentence by chan maybe taken out of context is inconsequential when you look at the overall picture of the Bills at this point

Jan Reimers
05-24-2010, 12:39 PM
I've been a Bills' fan for 50 plus years. Nothing could possibly scare me anymore.

mchurchfie
05-24-2010, 12:43 PM
I think it's safe to say that this is the least of the worrys for this season. ONe sentence by chan maybe taken out of context is inconsequential when you look at the overall picture of the Bills at this point
I don't think it was taken out of context. He said it and probably really means it. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it either because this team does have much bigger problems, but at the same time it does all start with good coaches and teachers and it can't be discounted. I just don't want to end up with a coach picking his staff just because they are his buds and he feels comfortable around him like Jauron and his Lions/Bears rejects. We all know how that one worked out.

justasportsfan
05-24-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't think it was taken out of context. He said it and probably really means it. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it either because this team does have much bigger problems, but at the same time it does all start with good coaches and teachers and it can't be discounted. I just don't want to end up with a coach picking his staff just because they are his buds and he feels comfortable around him like Jauron and his Lions/Bears rejects. We all know how that one worked out.
actually Dick brought in guys who weren't his own like Fairchild, Turk, Kollar etc. These guys were not on the same page so they either left or got fired. In the mean time, guys like Fewell and AVP changed the team when Dick got fired.

madness
05-24-2010, 12:54 PM
"Unless I know a guy or somebody on the staff is willing to stand on the table for him, I won't even talk to him," said Gailey, referring to prospective staff members. "George and Joe were very tight. I really looked at who he had developed and who he had coached, talked to Joe and interviewed him."
"It looked like a great fit for where we are, trying to develop young quarterbacks or whoever it might be," Gailey said. "If it's a running guy, he's developed that guy. If it's a pocket guy, he's developed that guy. I think we were very fortunate it worked out."

In other words, don't blow smoke up my ass with a fancy resume unless you have some solid references.

BillsWin
05-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Do you have a link to the article?

madness
05-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Do you have a link to the article?

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/05/23/1059688/bills-cortez-well-traveled.html

justasportsfan
05-24-2010, 01:03 PM
I hope this holds true

"But I think he never loses sight of the fact he's dealing with a special individual and never allows him to be on the field without being well prepared."

unlike last year when Trent Trent said

"we didn't practice for that"

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 02:23 PM
I don't wor for a pro personnel department

The same maxim holds true for any job, I don't care what you do.

I agree that good mentors are important for career development. They are not the be-all end all.

And, if you need to pick resources to complete a task or project, you certainly start where you have familiarity.

I dont work for one either but I do have some familiarity with it. The old axiom holds true, those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

If you take a horse to drink from a well and he gets sick, you don't take your horse back to the same well next time.

This is 100% accurate, of course not but going back to grab coaches and asst's that he was unsuccessful with the first (or second time) does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling all over, or make me want to dismiss it. The asst coaches are as important (and in some cases more important) than the actual head coach.

YardRat
05-24-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm sure Jesus Cowher and Saint Shanahan feel the same way.

Night Train
05-24-2010, 02:57 PM
When you have all his years of experience in both pro & college, it isn't like he only knows 9 guys. :rolleyes:

He probably knows 900 on a first name basis.

mayotm
05-24-2010, 03:13 PM
I dont work for one either but I do have some familiarity with it. The old axiom holds true, those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

If you take a horse to drink from a well and he gets sick, you don't take your horse back to the same well next time.

This is 100% accurate, of course not but going back to grab coaches and asst's that he was unsuccessful with the first (or second time) does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling all over, or make me want to dismiss it. The asst coaches are as important (and in some cases more important) than the actual head coach.Where exactly was Gailey ever "unsuccessful"?

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Where exactly was Gailey ever "unsuccessful"?

Georgia Tech?? Did you watch that debacle? He's only 18-16 as a NFL HC. A better question may be where has he been successful?

TedMock
05-24-2010, 04:32 PM
I don't see a problem with his statement at all. I think it's being taken almost too literally though.

If you're starting a venture in your particular field, you already know people on a personal level who you would and would not hire. Those you choose also know people and you would value their opinion, so you would listen.

Then there's the other part of those you "know." In your particular field you are probably very familiar with the work of a good handful of people you've never actually met. Some are old savvy vets, some are young up-and-comers who learned from people you respect. You "know" them for the purposes of building this new venture although you have yet to meet them.

I just don't think Chan was referring only to guys who went to his wedding.

YardRat
05-24-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm by no means overwhelmed with the assistants on this staff...I was hoping for guys with more NFL experience. Hopefully they prove they are capable and can be successful.

Griff
05-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Georgia Tech?? Did you watch that debacle? He's only 18-16 as a NFL HC. A better question may be where has he been successful?

Under Gaily the Cowboys made the playoffs both seasons he was there and after he left they were 5-11 for 3 years straight.

mightysimi
05-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Under Gaily the Cowboys made the playoffs both seasons he was there and after he left they were 5-11 for 3 years straight.

Making the playoffs at 8-8 is hardly ground breaking.

Ingtar33
05-24-2010, 05:21 PM
"Unless I know a guy or somebody on the staff is willing to stand on the table for him, I won't even talk to him," said Gailey, referring to prospective staff members.

So what are saying Chan? If there is a person out there with an outstanding resume and good qualifications, unless he's your buddy you won't even consider them?? Are we stuck with another coach that has brought in all of his gumbas?

in defense of Chan... i don't think i hired a single member of my staff i didn't work with previously... play with... or had refereed to me highly by someone i respected (those pesky recommendations we were talking about a few weeks ago)... i don't know many coaches who will hire someone out of the blue either...

Griff
05-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Making the playoffs at 8-8 is hardly ground breaking.

better than anything Jauron was able to accomplish here.

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 06:13 PM
To be clear its not that Im shocked or all that against this move, its just that like some other posters alluded to, I wish he had branched out a little more. The Tech assistants we took for the most part (minus Griff Smith and Eric Ciano) were guys they were very happy to see leave.

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 06:14 PM
better than anything Jauron was able to accomplish here.

Well that's like saying Obama has been a better president than Bush, its not like its all that hard to do. A chimp could sit in there and fling his poo all day and he would of been better.

casdhf
05-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Well that's like saying Obama has been a better president than Bush, its not like its all that hard to do. A chimp could sit in there and fling his poo all day and he would of been better. Racist.

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Racist.

Yes and?

mayotm
05-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Georgia Tech?? Did you watch that debacle? He's only 18-16 as a NFL HC. A better question may be where has he been successful?GT is not an easy place to win. His teams weren't great, but it was by no means a "debacle". He made the playoffs both years he was head coach at Dallas. Teams where he was coordinator tended to make the playoffs. To me, that is some level of success.

BillsWin
05-24-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm ok with his statement. He wants his coaches to be on the same page with their head coach.

Don't mind it at all.

Cntrygal
05-24-2010, 06:54 PM
I've been a Bills' fan for 50 plus years. Nothing could possibly scare me anymore.

How about the thought of winning????

:biggrin:

Griff
05-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Well that's like saying Obama has been a better president than Bush, its not like its all that hard to do. A chimp could sit in there and fling his poo all day and he would of been better.

so the fact that he both made the playoffs and had the team perform much better than it did the following 3 years means nothing?

YardRat
05-24-2010, 06:59 PM
A chimp could sit in there and fling his poo all day and he would of been better.

True, considering Greg Williams went 8-8 in 2002.

Griff
05-24-2010, 07:06 PM
True, considering Greg Williams went 8-8 in 2002.

But that was a better team than Jauron ever had.

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 07:13 PM
so the fact that he both made the playoffs and had the team perform much better than it did the following 3 years means nothing?

Considering they were only two years removed from back to back to back to back to back NFC East titles and still had lots of talent, they don't mean a ton, but that's when you have to put things into context.

He took them to 10-6, then 8-8 and for three years following they went 5-11, which is not completely his fault but he certainly had a hand in it since he was part of the personnel selection process.

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 07:32 PM
GT is not an easy place to win. His teams weren't great, but it was by no means a "debacle". He made the playoffs both years he was head coach at Dallas. Teams where he was coordinator tended to make the playoffs. To me, that is some level of success.
Please give me a break, Tech isn't easy to win at? Coach Johnson certainly doesn't have that issue, either did Ross considering they won the National Title in 1990 (albeit a split title).

Tough to win at Tech, its not like its Troy. Its a top tier ACC University, that can go from coast to coast to recruit. That's not to mention he coached at Tech with WR Calvin Johnson and RB Tashard Choice at the same time who were standout athletes.

The playoffs are somehwhat of a misnomer because while yes he made it with the Boys, he lost both times in the first round in games they should of won.

Griff
05-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Considering they were only two years removed from back to back to back to back to back NFC East titles and still had lots of talent, they don't mean a ton, but that's when you have to put things into context.

He took them to 10-6, then 8-8 and for three years following they went 5-11, which is not completely his fault but he certainly had a hand in it since he was part of the personnel selection process.

In his 8-8 season Irvin only finished 4 games.

BertSquirtgum
05-24-2010, 08:40 PM
nothing he said bothers me one bit. what bothers me is that there was actually a thread made about it. you guys should argue about this college **** in a college forum. who the f**k cares. gailey works for the bills now. i don't give a s**t what he did at georgia tech.

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 09:13 PM
In his 8-8 season Irvin only finished 4 games.

And if Irvin was their only superstar, Id agree that its a very good point, but he wasn't.

Goobylal
05-24-2010, 09:47 PM
To be clear its not that Im shocked or all that against this move, its just that like some other posters alluded to, I wish he had branched out a little more. The Tech assistants we took for the most part (minus Griff Smith and Eric Ciano) were guys they were very happy to see leave.
Coaching in the pros versus college is a different animal.

Goobylal
05-24-2010, 09:50 PM

The year prior to Gailey taking over, the Cowboys were 6-10 and even closer to those back to back to back to back NFC East titles, not to mention SB wins. I think that's more impressive than the team going 5-11 for the next 3 years since the talent had obviously eroded by then. But I doubt Gailey had much say over personnel selection.

Goobylal
05-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Just an FYI DB, no one is saying Obama is a better president than Bush. At least not anymore.

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 10:52 PM
The year prior to Gailey taking over, the Cowboys were 6-10 and even closer to those back to back to back to back NFC East titles, not to mention SB wins. I think that's more impressive than the team going 5-11 for the next 3 years since the talent had obviously eroded by then. But I doubt Gailey had much say over personnel selection.

You don't think HC had much input on personnel decisions??

I dont think either is very impressive to be perfectly honest. The W/L are an improvement but what is supposed to say given he lost in the 1st Round of the playoffs both years? What about that was successful exactly?

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Just an FYI DB, no one is saying Obama is a better president than Bush. At least not anymore.

Its called a joke, I like to insert humor at times.

And it could be you in office right now and without question it would of been better than the tard we had running the country the past 8 years but this isn't the zone for that discussion.

Buffalogic
05-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Dude Gailey inherited players in the twilight of their careers in Dallas. How many years did he have there 2?

What we can expect from Gailey is a better offense. He's proven to elevate every offense he has been a part of. Even his most recent NFL stint he took that KC team with no name players and had them score like crazy in 2008.

Our defense last year was actually pretty good despite being ranked 30th in rushing defense. Our secondary is totally in tact and the switch to 3-4 won't affect them to the point where we should expect their play to decline. If our run D improves we could have a surprisingly good defense.

That will be nice because we know the offense will improve with Gailey since the bills were ranked 30th with those absent minded offensive coaches we had last year.

Griff
05-25-2010, 03:01 AM
And if Irvin was their only superstar, Id agree that its a very good point, but he wasn't.

so losing a HOF WR means little?

Another fact, they were 3-0 going into week 5.

Griff
05-25-2010, 03:02 AM
You don't think HC had much input on personnel decisions??

I dont think either is very impressive to be perfectly honest. The W/L are an improvement but what is supposed to say given he lost in the 1st Round of the playoffs both years? What about that was successful exactly?

you forget that this is Jerry's team.

YardRat
05-25-2010, 05:37 AM
Coaching in the pros versus college is a different animal.

Good point, and I agree, but that begs the question about why CG didn't fill his staff with guys with NFL experience opposed to the college ranks and the CFL.

DraftBoy
05-25-2010, 07:42 AM
you forget that this is Jerry's team.

Which still doesn't mean the HC had little to no say. I know Jerry has final say and I never said differently but to think or act like the HC had no say is ridiculous.

DraftBoy
05-25-2010, 07:43 AM
so losing a HOF WR means little?

Another fact, they were 3-0 going into week 5.

I didnt say it meant little, but they had other players who could fill in for his loss better than say we could for losing Lee Evans who is far from being a HOF caliber WR.

DraftBoy
05-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Dude Gailey inherited players in the twilight of their careers in Dallas. How many years did he have there 2?

What we can expect from Gailey is a better offense. He's proven to elevate every offense he has been a part of. Even his most recent NFL stint he took that KC team with no name players and had them score like crazy in 2008.

Our defense last year was actually pretty good despite being ranked 30th in rushing defense. Our secondary is totally in tact and the switch to 3-4 won't affect them to the point where we should expect their play to decline. If our run D improves we could have a surprisingly good defense.

That will be nice because we know the offense will improve with Gailey since the bills were ranked 30th with those absent minded offensive coaches we had last year.

Here is your 98 Roster;
G/T Flozell Adams
QB Troy Aikman
G Larry Allen
DT Antonio Anderson
CB Terry Billups
TE Eric Bjornson
CB Larry Brown
TE Hayward Clay
LB Dexter Coakley
K Richie Cunningham
WR Billy Davis
DE Greg Ellis
QB Jason Garrett
LB Randall Godfrey
P Toby Gowin
LB Darren Hambrick
G/C Dale Hellestrae
LB Nate Hemsley
DT Chad Hennings
CB Tyrone Hughes
G Tony Hutson
WR Michael Irvin
WR Patrick Jeffers
FB Daryl Johnston
C/G Mike Kiselak
TE David LaFleur
DT/DE Leon Lett
CB Kevin Mathis
DT Hurvin McCormack
G Everett McIver
WR Ernie Mills
S Singor Mobley
DT/DE Michael Myers
G Nate Newton
WR Jeff Ogden
DE Kavika Pittman
QB Mike Quinn
S Izell Reese
T/G Oliver Ross
CB Deion Sanders
C Clay Shiver
DE/DT Artie Smith
RB Emmitt Smith
CB Kevin Smith
LB Myron Smith
S Omar Stoutmire
LB Fred Strickland
FB Nicky Sualua
S George Teague
FB Robert Thomas
RB Chris Warren
S Kenny Wheaton
S/CB Charlie Williams
T Erik Williams
RB Sherman Williams
S Darren Woodson

Emmitt Smith wasn't in the twilight, Aikman was good in 98, but fell off in 99, Irvin as it was already pointed out got hurt in 99, but was a 1000 yd WR in 98. Larry Allen and Nate Newton were still the best set of OG's in football. Greg Ellis was a rookie DE, Neion Deion was Neion Deion, Darren Woodson was good as he always was. Did he get an aging Aikman? Yes but he still got guys with many good years left on their tires as well.