PDA

View Full Version : Miami Dolphins trade Justin Smiley to Jaguars, sign lineman

YardRat
05-24-2010, 04:48 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/24/1645703/miami-dolphins-guard-justin-smiley.html

Smiley has been traded to the Jacksonville Jaguars for a "late-round pick,'' sources said Monday.The Dolphins also signed guard Cory Procter on Monday, a week after Procter was cut by the Dallas Cowboys.

OMG!!!! TWO MORE GUYS THE BILLS MISSED OUT ON!!!! WHAT ARE THOSE DUMB-ASSES AT OBD DOING????

DesertFox24
05-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Who is to say we did not call, maybe they did not want to trade inside division. Also jags got him for a 7th.

B-DON
05-24-2010, 05:42 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/24/1645703/miami-dolphins-guard-justin-smiley.html

OMG!!!! TWO MORE GUYS THE BILLS MISSED OUT ON!!!! WHAT ARE THOSE DUMB-ASSES AT OBD DOING????

Calm down over there crazytown. Maybe we did offer them but didn't want to trade within division, plus the guy is a damn scrub in my book. Both of them for that matter. I'd rather our young guys get some experience then some scrub stop gaps.

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Guys while I can assure you that YR is bat **** crazy, at least in this case he is only being sarcastic.

As for the trade, this trade certainly weakens the Dolphins as Smiley was an entrenched starter...Im curious to know why he was dealt for so little.

LtFinFan66
05-24-2010, 06:09 PM
did you read the article DB?

methos4ever
05-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Guys while I can assure you that YR is bat **** crazy, at least in this case he is only being sarcastic.

As for the trade, this trade certainly weakens the Dolphins as Smiley was an entrenched starter...Im curious to know why he was dealt for so little.
I believe it was injury concerns DB - he was good, but unavailable really for gameday.

Bling
05-24-2010, 06:13 PM

Miami was weakened with or without Smiley. Injuries, it's a part of the game. Look for Miami to draft Rodney Hudson now with their first pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. ;)

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 06:22 PM
did you read the article DB?
Hell no, blue linkie things take far too much time.

Plus methos gave me the info a second later. You could of been more helpful and gotten the extra cool points like methos did. You lose out.

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Miami was weakened with or without Smiley. Injuries, it's a part of the game. Look for Miami to draft Rodney Hudson now with their first pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. ;)

True about the first part.

If they take Hudson (as of this moment) they'll get ripped like when they took Ginn. Do you really want to repeat that experiment? Pouncey is a far safer pick right now. Has more versatility, strength, and athleticism. Hudson isn't bad but he's just behind Franklin in my book. Strong 2nd Round pick, but its still very early.

Nublar7
05-24-2010, 06:56 PM

As for the trade, this trade certainly weakens the Dolphins as Smiley was an entrenched starter...Im curious to know why he was dealt for so little.Smiley has been out of Miami's plans for well over two months now. He has missed 8 games over the past two seasons and some reports(maybe they were a little dramatic) say his shoulder is shot. It has been well known that the Dolphins were looking to unload him and May 28th was the unofficial deadline to trade or release him. The fact that four days before that they were able to actually find a trading partner is pretty amazing. I would be surprised though if it is for anything more than just a 7th round pick.

Miami does have the depth to be able to part ways with him. Richie Incognito(you should know him pretty well) seems to be penciled in as the starter at right guard. Nate Garner, who actually played in place of Smiley last season when he was injured and played very well, seems to be the early favorite at LG. Though he is going to face an extremely tough competition from Donald Thomas, who started 12 games at right guard last season, newly signed Procter and massive third round pick Joh Jerry.

With the subtraction of Smiley, Miami actually still probably has to many players on the line. There are definitely going to be some tough decisions come the end of camp.

JCBills
05-24-2010, 07:03 PM

Any time another team signs someone, we should be upset and consider that someone we missed out on?

You're probably not serious lol.

YardRat
05-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Any time another team signs someone, we should be upset and consider that someone we missed out on?

in this case he is only being sarcastic.

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 07:07 PM
See and you were critical of me bolding, underling and putting things in all caps during the Pick-A-Day game, now you see why.

YardRat
05-24-2010, 07:08 PM
See and you were critical of me bolding, underling and putting things in all caps during the Pick-A-Day game, now you see why.

I thought I did quite a good job following the requests.

Mike13
05-24-2010, 07:14 PM
I think we whould have just kept him for depth at least.

Scumbag College
05-24-2010, 07:41 PM
the Bills should have brought both of those guys in.

WeAreArthurMoates
05-24-2010, 07:47 PM
The fins interior line sucks balls. Grove is ok and now Incognito is penciled in at starter. While solid, Smiley is a much better player.

THATHURMANATOR
05-24-2010, 09:30 PM
HaHa!!! *** DOLPHINS GET WORSE!!!!!

LtFinFan66
05-24-2010, 09:32 PM
doubtful in all honesty. He can't stay healthy anyway

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 09:33 PM
doubtful in all honesty. He can't stay healthy anyway

Not doubtful, you're replacing him in all likelihood with a rookie in Jerry, he will need time to adjust.

Or with Incognito who is a ticking time bomb.

LtFinFan66
05-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Not doubtful, you're replacing him in all likelihood with a rookie in Jerry, he will need time to adjust.we signed a couple guys as well. May be a rookie, may not be a rookie.

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 09:35 PM
we signed a couple guys as well. May be a rookie, may not be a rookie.

I really would hope for your sake its the rookie.

LtFinFan66
05-24-2010, 09:40 PM
I really would hope for your sake its the rookie.so are you saying you expect Jerry to be a good one?

Goobylal
05-24-2010, 09:43 PM
so are you saying you expect Jerry to be a good one?
If I had to guess, I'd say probably that the other guys suck.

LtFinFan66
05-24-2010, 10:04 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say probably that the other guys suck.well DB is the college FB/Draft guru, so that's why I went the other way:idunno:

DraftBoy
05-24-2010, 10:50 PM
so are you saying you expect Jerry to be a good one?

Well he was the lone bright spot on a bad Ole Miss OL. He really did a very good job in the Bama game handling Cody and Co. I would be very happy with Jerry if I were you. Is he ready right away? Not really, but he may be your best option.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-24-2010, 11:01 PM
we currently have wood, levitre, calloway, and howard, we had no need for him....

NOT THE DUDE...
05-24-2010, 11:02 PM
plus smiley has a ****ed up shoulder...

Buffalogic
05-25-2010, 01:21 AM
They will be fine if Incognito replaces him. Incognito will bring a lot more personal fouls but he's an adequate starter no doubt.

YardRat
05-25-2010, 05:50 AM
From the same article...

Donald Thomas and Richie Incognito started at left guard and right guard, respectively, for the Dolphins in last week's organized team activities.

OpIv37
05-25-2010, 09:13 AM

The Dolphins also got Dansby and Marshall..... how quickly we forget. The reality is that the other 3 teams in our division took steps to improve while we took steps backwards. The talent gap in our division got wider this off-season, not smaller.

justasportsfan
05-25-2010, 09:17 AM
The Dolphins also got Dansby and Marshall..... how quickly we forget. The reality is that the other 3 teams in our division took steps to improve while we took steps backwards. The talent gap in our division got wider this off-season, not smaller.

I thought you let me down by not *****ing about us not taking Smiley. However, you found something else to ***** about. :up:

OpIv37
05-25-2010, 09:22 AM
I thought you let me down by not *****ing about us not taking Smiley. However, you found something else to ***** about. :up:

Don't care about Smiley- do care about Dansby and Marshall. The moves in this thread don't really make the Dolphins that much better, so who cares? But there are other moves made this off-season by the Fins and Jets that should be very disconcerting to Bills fans.

justasportsfan
05-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Don't care about Smiley- do care about Dansby and Marshall. The moves in this thread don't really make the Dolphins that much better, so who cares? But there are other moves made this off-season by the Fins and Jets that should be very disconcerting to Bills fans.

yeah, we heard about the other moves but it wasn't part of this thread. You had to repeat them so you could live up to your Debbie Downer title. Nice.

WeAreArthurMoates
05-25-2010, 09:45 AM

How the hell did we not improve. Those other teams had a lot, lot less than holes so there moves seem better. Fact is, vs. the division last year, teams averaged 170 yards vs. when we lost to them. This is not including a 300 yard game vs. the Jets. That is awful. So by these numbers it makes it seem like in order to compete in the divison, we had to try and improve the run d. That was the focuse this offseason and I feel we did a tremendous job at that.

DraftBoy
05-25-2010, 10:42 AM
How the hell did we not improve. Those other teams had a lot, lot less than holes so there moves seem better. Fact is, vs. the division last year, teams averaged 170 yards vs. when we lost to them. This is not including a 300 yard game vs. the Jets. That is awful. So by these numbers it makes it seem like in order to compete in the divison, we had to try and improve the run d. That was the focuse this offseason and I feel we did a tremendous job at that.

Until we actually play, how are we supposed to know if we improved? We have one proven DL in a 3-4 and 1 proven LB. We have no idea how the D as a whole is going to react, almost everybody is at a new position. Should we better? Well it will hard to be worse but to say we did a tremedous job so far, is reaching.

OpIv37
05-25-2010, 10:46 AM

We improved the run D? We switched to a 3-4 and the only true NT on the team is a rookie, not to mention most of our DE's will be 4-3 DT's playing DE for the first time, and we have no proven 3-4 OLB's. This run D did not improve at all.

DraftBoy
05-25-2010, 10:47 AM
We improved the run D? We switched to a 3-4 and the only true NT on the team is a rookie, not to mention most of our DE's will be 4-3 DT's playing DE for the first time, and we have no proven 3-4 OLB's. This run D did not improve at all.

Troup isn't a true NT, he comes from a 4-3 system, not a 3-4. This will be his first year a Zero Gap NT.

OpIv37
05-25-2010, 10:47 AM
yeah, we heard about the other moves but it wasn't part of this thread. You had to repeat them so you could live up to your Debbie Downer title. Nice.

Sometimes reality sucks. I don't know why you feel the need to label people who are willing to acknowledge that.

justasportsfan
05-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Sometimes reality sucks. I don't know why you feel the need to label people who are willing to acknowledge that.

for all the times that you *****ed about the bills not making this and that move, you could have said, "glad the bills didn't take Smiley " or "he's all broken down anyways"but nooooooo, you had to bring something redundant to ***** about into this thread just so have someting to whine about.

You're still my favorite neg nancy. :up:

WeAreArthurMoates
05-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Until we actually play, how are we supposed to know if we improved? We have one proven DL in a 3-4 and 1 proven LB. We have no idea how the D as a whole is going to react, almost everybody is at a new position. Should we better? Well it will hard to be worse but to say we did a tremedous job so far, is reaching.

I'm talking in terms of effort. Does this apply to Cromartie then, a soft tackler who had a bad year last year? How do we know that guys like Holmes, Dansby, Marshall, Cromartie are good pick-ups then with out playing, we don't. It's all about the effort, the Bills had a plan to fortify the front 7 to make it more suitable to endure the ridgers of AFC East. We picked up the best 3-4 d linemen out there and seeing there was zero NT's, we had to draft one. I don't this statement is a reach at all, we saw a weakness and tried to correct.

WeAreArthurMoates
05-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Troup isn't a true NT, he comes from a 4-3 system, not a 3-4. This will be his first year a Zero Gap NT.

Most DT's coming out college aren't, you should know this better than everyone. Sure he never played it in college, but that just your opinion he's not a true NT. Seeing he's big, strong and loves facing double teams, seems like a fit for me.

OpIv37
05-25-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm talking in terms of effort. Does this apply to Cromartie then, a soft tackler who had a bad year last year? How do we know that guys like Holmes, Dansby, Marshall, Cromartie are good pick-ups then with out playing, we don't. It's all about the effort, the Bills had a plan to fortify the front 7 to make it more suitable to endure the ridgers of AFC East. We picked up the best 3-4 d linemen out there and seeing there was zero NT's, we had to draft one. I don't this statement is a reach at all, we saw a weakness and tried to correct.

all 4 of those guys are proven players. Sure, from time to time there are FA busts, but we're talking about two teams that were already superior to us adding proven players. At worst, they're equal to last year, and at best, they're significantly better. Meanwhile, our 4 biggest holes at the start of the off-season were QB, LT, WR and NT, and the only thing we did about it was add a rookie NT.

You said the Bills had to fortify the front 7- then you say they did so by adding one 3-4 DE and a rookie NT. That's two- what about the other 5? And what about depth? Everyone else are the same guys we had last year, now learning a new position, or at least a different role for their position in a new defensive system. If that's what you consider "fortified," you really need to Google the definition of the word. The key word in your post is "tried." I disagree that there were zero NT's available, but even if that were true, it doesn't change the need for the Bills and it doesn't make a rookie NT sufficient.

WeAreArthurMoates
05-25-2010, 12:31 PM
all 4 of those guys are proven players. Sure, from time to time there are FA busts, but we're talking about two teams that were already superior to us adding proven players. At worst, they're equal to last year, and at best, they're significantly better. Meanwhile, our 4 biggest holes at the start of the off-season were QB, LT, WR and NT, and the only thing we did about it was add a rookie NT.

You said the Bills had to fortify the front 7- then you say they did so by adding one 3-4 DE and a rookie NT. That's two- what about the other 5? And what about depth? Everyone else are the same guys we had last year, now learning a new position, or at least a different role for their position in a new defensive system. If that's what you consider "fortified," you really need to Google the definition of the word. The key word in your post is "tried." I disagree that there were zero NT's available, but even if that were true, it doesn't change the need for the Bills and it doesn't make a rookie NT sufficient.

Come dude, did you not follow the offseason, those were there two best pick ups but Andra Davis and Alex Carrington were also good moves that help the front 7. That's some investment bra, tell me a NT available that we should of picked up. And how does drafting one of the top NT early not make it sufficient. Here's some straws, grasp at some more.

Bill Cody
05-25-2010, 12:37 PM
I didn't want Smiley anyway. We need nasty guys on the OL. Let me know when Frowney becomes available.

OpIv37
05-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Come dude, did you not follow the offseason, those were there two best pick ups but Andra Davis and Alex Carrington were also good moves that help the front 7. That's some investment bra, tell me a NT available that we should of picked up. And how does drafting one of the top NT early not make it sufficient. Here's some straws, grasp at some more.

First, few NT's are ever ready in their first year. Given the importance of the position to the new D, it's not going to be sufficient. Second, the Bills picked Troup when they could have had Linvall or Cody. Third, Davis is old- I'm glad they made the move because we need 3-4 help, but he's not going to be a game-changer. He's just going to help with the transition. Fourth, Carrington won't be an immediate contributor.

Look, some of these moves may pay off down the road- they may even pay off later this season. But there is going to be a learning curve here and in the meantime this D is going to look just as bad as last year's, if not worse. Call it grasping at straws all you want, but it's not- it's the reality of the situation. You will see come September.

WeAreArthurMoates
05-25-2010, 12:53 PM
First, few NT's are ever ready in their first year. Given the importance of the position to the new D, it's not going to be sufficient. Second, the Bills picked Troup when they could have had Linvall or Cody. Third, Davis is old- I'm glad they made the move because we need 3-4 help, but he's not going to be a game-changer. He's just going to help with the transition. Fourth, Carrington won't be an immediate contributor.

Look, some of these moves may pay off down the road- they may even pay off later this season. But there is going to be a learning curve here and in the meantime this D is going to look just as bad as last year's, if not worse. Call it grasping at straws all you want, but it's not- it's the reality of the situation. You will see come September.

Fair enough, I now I get ya. I view Carrington as a good depth guy cause I think Stroud is going to do great at d end. Luckily Troup will only be playing in the spots he excels, that's running situation. I liked Cody (I like Troup more) but I saw Linval more of a shoot the gap DT and not a classic, hold the gap like Troup. I think Joesph will be good, especially in Fewell's system but Troup is more of a true NT prospect.

DraftBoy
05-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Most DT's coming out college aren't, you should know this better than everyone. Sure he never played it in college, but that just your opinion he's not a true NT. Seeing he's big, strong and loves facing double teams, seems like a fit for me.

Its not my opinion, its a fact, he's never played the zero gap in his life, so calling him a true NT is false. Does that mean he won't be successful at it? Nope, but you liking him doesnt make him a true NT. He could develop into a very good one, we don't know.

WeAreArthurMoates
05-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Its not my opinion, its a fact, he's never played the zero gap in his life, so calling him a true NT is false. Does that mean he won't be successful at it? Nope, but you liking him doesnt make him a true NT. He could develop into a very good one, we don't know.

Fair enough but as I said, most NT's aren't true NT coming out of college. In my opinion his body type, demeanor, attitude and skill set fit that of a true NT. So yes, that is my opinion.