PDA

View Full Version : Maybin is OTA ready

The Spaz
05-25-2010, 06:31 AM
Bills outside linebacker Aaron Maybin has been putting in time this offseason much like a lot of his fellow defensive teammates in preparation for a significant scheme change. After being an avid participant in the team’s offseason conditioning program and getting on the field during the rookie minicamp earlier this month, he’s ready to raise things another notch with the majority of the roster due in today.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Maybin-is-OTA-ready/6f43bf11-e3e6-442a-8214-8c6d429edc25

jamze132
05-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Well hopefully Maybin is regular season ready when the regualr season starts.

Night Train
05-25-2010, 07:37 AM
He's dying to display his new 15 second post play celebration after each tackle.

The 3-4 OLB should be perfect for him. He better take advantage of this golden opportunity.

BillsWin
05-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Bucky Brooks said a few weeks ago to expect 8-10 sacks from Maybin this season.

mikemac2001
05-25-2010, 09:52 AM
This switch might be a career saver

djjimkelly
05-25-2010, 10:08 AM
This switch might be a career saver

career saver might be a bit strong to say.

however the kid id doing everything hes supposed to do this offseason.

lets all hope that translates on the field.

TacklingDummy
05-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Considering all the good players who were drafted after Maybin in the 1st round, he may go down as the Bills worst 1st round pick in the past 20 years.

justasportsfan
05-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Considering all the good players who were drafted after Maybin in the 1st round, he may go down as the Bills worst 1st round pick in the past 20 years.
not if he makes an impact as an OLB

OpIv37
05-25-2010, 10:51 AM

2nd worst. The only way he can be worse than Mike Williams is if he gives up and goes home tomorrow.

OpIv37
05-25-2010, 10:53 AM
not if he makes an impact as an OLB

if he makes an impact at OLB, that will just prove how dumb our FO was for drafting a guy in the wrong position at #13. Of course, that won't matter as much if he actually produces.

justasportsfan
05-25-2010, 10:54 AM
if he makes an impact at OLB, that will just prove how dumb our FO was for drafting a guy in the wrong position at #13. Of course, that won't matter as much if he actually produces.
the guy who made the decision is gone. Move on.

OpIv37
05-25-2010, 10:56 AM
the guy who made the decision is gone. Move on.

what makes you so sure who's decision it was? Brandon, Modrak, Overdorf, Ralph- all still here, all key players in the decision process. You want to move on because you THINK things have changed, but they haven't.

DraftBoy
05-25-2010, 10:58 AM
what makes you so sure who's decision it was? Brandon, Modrak, Overdorf, Ralph- all still here, all key players in the decision process. You want to move on because you THINK things have changed, but they haven't.

Overdorf does the contracts and Brandon has lost all football operations power. Only Ralph and Modrak remain.

justasportsfan
05-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Overdorf does the contracts and Brandon has lost all football operations power. Only Ralph and Modrak remain.
MOdrak scouts and grades players. I doubt he had the final say.

BillsWin
05-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Wow Tacklingdummy. Way to throw a kid under the bus after one season.

OpIv37
05-25-2010, 11:06 AM

Well first of all, Ralph is the biggest problem of them all. His interfering and his way of doing business has created the culture of losing.

Second, I'm not convinced that Brandon has lost all football operations power.

Third, Modrak has been part of this cluster**** since the Tom Donahoe days. It's a miracle that the guy is still employed. I wish I could come up short that many times in my job and still survive 4 management changes.

OpIv37
05-25-2010, 11:07 AM

People trashed McCargo, Whitner, Parrish, Trent, JP, etc after one season... how'd those turn out?

justasportsfan
05-25-2010, 11:11 AM
People trashed McCargo, Whitner, Parrish, Trent, JP, etc after one season... how'd those turn out?

I remember people calling for a JP extension after his 2006 season. Trent was called the next Brady and MVP after his 5-0 start which was his 2nd season.

DraftBoy
05-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Well first of all, Ralph is the biggest problem of them all. His interfering and his way of doing business has created the culture of losing.

Second, I'm not convinced that Brandon has lost all football operations power.

Third, Modrak has been part of this cluster**** since the Tom Donahoe days. It's a miracle that the guy is still employed. I wish I could come up short that many times in my job and still survive 4 management changes.

Nobody gives a **** about whether you're convinced or not, he returned to his role before which had no football operations involvement in it. Your insistance that he still has some mythical ties are about as accurate at Patti's end of the world perdictions.

I dont know about Modrak, he's likely lucky he is friends with Nix, but we dont know how much say he had, reports are very varied on his power.

I wont disagree on Ralph.

BillsWin
05-25-2010, 11:13 AM
McCargo, Whitner, and Parrish were all playing their natural positions for the NFL their rookie seasons and yes they were busts.

Maybin is widely considered better suited for OLB in a 3-4, he was also considered too small and in need of a season to develop for the NFL. Jauron and company decided to pick him despite having a 4-3 defense, and despite the need for him to develop. There was next to no chance for Maybin to come in and make an impact last year.

So, I'm not pissed at him. I'm pissed that we picked a developmental pass rusher with our top 15 pick.

Trent made people fall in love following his rookie season.

JP turned it around in 2006. Sure, he failed later on. But he had quite the following after that season.

Sorry OP, but I just believe you need at least 3 seasons before labeling a player a bust, and in my book Maybin has this year to show improvement before he should be labeled the worst first round pick in history.

DraftBoy
05-25-2010, 11:13 AM
MOdrak scouts and grades players. I doubt he had the final say.

His reports and grades, should be weighing very heavily on the final decision considering he is one of the guys watching all these players on film, not the GM.

OpIv37
05-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Nobody gives a **** about whether you're convinced or not, he returned to his role before which had no football operations involvement in it. Your insistance that he still has some mythical ties are about as accurate at Patti's end of the world perdictions.

I dont know about Modrak, he's likely lucky he is friends with Nix, but we dont know how much say he had, reports are very varied on his power.

I wont disagree on Ralph.

How do you know? Are you personally involved with the organization, or are you close to someone who is? I know technically he is no longer assigned to football operations, but until a few months ago, he was the one in charge so he knows what's going on. I just don't think you can change a few words in his official title and make his influence go away.

DraftBoy
05-25-2010, 11:17 AM
How do you know? Are you personally involved with the organization, or are you close to someone who is? I know technically he is no longer assigned to football operations, but until a few months ago, he was the one in charge so he knows what's going on. I just don't think you can change a few words in his official title and make his influence go away.

Ok Patti. Anymore conspiracy theories you'd like to divulge?

justasportsfan
05-25-2010, 11:21 AM
His reports and grades, should be weighing very heavily on the final decision considering he is one of the guys watching all these players on film, not the GM.

I agree. but like you said, it isn't clear as to how far his power was as to pulling the plug

justasportsfan
05-25-2010, 11:21 AM
How do you know? Are you personally involved with the organization, or are you close to someone who is? .

are you?

TacklingDummy
05-25-2010, 11:26 AM
His play has done all the talking.

He has time to change that opinion.

BillsWin
05-25-2010, 11:28 AM
His play has done all the talking.

He has time to change that opinion.

That is my point. He has time. Why label him a bust so soon?

I guess what I'm saying is "disappointing" would be a more accurate label. Not "worst first round pick ever"

OpIv37
05-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Ok Patti. Anymore conspiracy theories you'd like to divulge?

Someone had a position in an organization. That person is no longer in that position, but still holds a high position within that organization.

It is NOT a conspiracy theory to think there might still be some influence there. You think Nix knows all the players on the team, their strengths, weaknesses and histories already? Or do you think he has to go to Brandon from time to time to get some info? My guess is that Brandon is still wielding influence, at least until Nix has a chance to form his own opinions. Even after that, if Nix likes what Brandon has to say, he may still use him as a resource.

Of course, this is just what seems logical- I don't know any of this for a fact. But at the same time, you don't know for a fact that it's NOT happening either. I'll believe it when I see some proof that this organization is finally functioning better. Right now, I see same ****, different day.

Griff
05-25-2010, 11:30 AM
well if he sees more than 20 plays over the whole season he might actually matter.

justasportsfan
05-25-2010, 11:31 AM
My guess is

in the end, that's all you're doing. Guessing.

TacklingDummy
05-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Trent made people fall in love following his rookie season. The only reason Trent had "love" was because he was better than JP. But that's not really saying much now is it?

JP turned it around in 2006. Sure, he failed later on. But he had quite the following after that season.

I always thought he sucked. Even after his throw the ball up for grabs to Lee Evans 2006 season. Looks like my opinion at the time was right. Oh well, I've been right about a few things, Flutie, Johnson, G. Williams, Mularkey, Donahoe, Losman, McFumbles, Whitner, Schobel, Lynch, Jackson just to name a few...so I'll stick to my Maybin will be a bust opinion.

HHURRICANE
05-25-2010, 11:36 AM
I don't give two ****s on what Maybin does to get ready in the off-season.

If this guys doesn't get 8-10 sacks this year than this will go down as one of the dumbest moves ever considering we passed on Orakpo.

TacklingDummy
05-25-2010, 11:37 AM
I guess what I'm saying is "disappointing" would be a more accurate label. Not "worst first round pick ever"

I didn't say "ever". I said the past 20 years.

Look at who was drafted after Maybin and then you will see why I said that.

TacklingDummy
05-25-2010, 11:47 AM
If this guys doesn't get 8-10 sacks this year than this will go down as one of the dumbest moves ever considering we passed on Orakpo.

Not just Orkapo...Oher, Mack, Matthews, Harvin, Nicks, Cushings, Moreno, Davis, Maclin, Wells, Britt, Jenkins, English.

OpIv37
05-25-2010, 11:49 AM
The only reason Trent had "love" was because he was better than JP. But that's not really saying much now is it?

I always thought he sucked. Even after his throw the ball up for grabs to Lee Evans 2006 season. Looks like my opinion at the time was right. Oh well, I've been right about a few things, Flutie, Johnson, G. Williams, Mularkey, Donahoe, Losman, McFumbles, Lynch, Jackson just to name a few...so I'll stick to my Maybin will be a bust opinion.

If you say things that people don't want to hear, your opinion will always be considered premature. Accuracy and past performance have nothing to do with it.

DraftBoy
05-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Someone had a position in an organization. That person is no longer in that position, but still holds a high position within that organization.

It is NOT a conspiracy theory to think there might still be some influence there. You think Nix knows all the players on the team, their strengths, weaknesses and histories already? Or do you think he has to go to Brandon from time to time to get some info? My guess is that Brandon is still wielding influence, at least until Nix has a chance to form his own opinions. Even after that, if Nix likes what Brandon has to say, he may still use him as a resource.

Of course, this is just what seems logical- I don't know any of this for a fact. But at the same time, you don't know for a fact that it's NOT happening either. I'll believe it when I see some proof that this organization is finally functioning better. Right now, I see same ****, different day.

No, no conspiracy here at all. Of course he would go to Brandon who spent less time in football operations than Modrak did. That seems completely logical, minus the whole logic part of the equation. Your vendetta to find something negative to speak about has clearly no bounds this offseason.

OpIv37
05-25-2010, 12:06 PM
No, no conspiracy here at all. Of course he would go to Brandon who spent less time in football operations than Modrak did. That seems completely logical, minus the whole logic part of the equation. Your vendetta to find something negative to speak about has clearly no bounds this offseason.

I resent the accusation that I have to FIND something negative to speak about.

This is an organization that has struggled for a decade now. They've continuously made bad choices from the FO to the coaches all the way down to the players. And many of the people involved in that legacy of failure are still employed by the team. It's not me being negative, it's the reality of the situation.

You said yourself a few posts ago:

But now suddenly you think Nix would use Modrak as a resource over Modrak's superior? You really shouldn't be lecturing people on logic.

justasportsfan
05-25-2010, 12:25 PM
I resent the accusation that I have to FIND something negative to speak about.

It's our observation of your posts. It is, what it is.

better days
05-25-2010, 12:54 PM

Yes Brandon still has a position of power in the front office. He is back to doing what he does best, MARKETING. He has proven to be very good at that, & it makes total sense to keep him for that job.

Ralph said when Nix was hired that he would be in charge of FOOTBALL operations. You are one of the very few that do not believe that to be the case.

OpIv37
05-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Yes Brandon still has a position of power in the front office. He is back to doing what he does best, MARKETING. He has proven to be very good at that, & it makes total sense to keep him for that job.

Ralph said when Nix was hired that he would be in charge of FOOTBALL operations. You are one of the very few that do not believe that to be the case.

I'll believe it when I see proof of it. So far, I see same ****, different day.

And you just dismiss Brandon's role in football operations that easily, as if he had no role whatsoever in the transition to Nix? I HIGHLY doubt it was a clean break, especially given Ralph's history with Brandon. At the very least, Brandon has sway with Ralph and Ralph likes to meddle.

better days
05-25-2010, 01:41 PM
I'll believe it when I see proof of it. So far, I see same ****, different day.

And you just dismiss Brandon's role in football operations that easily, as if he had no role whatsoever in the transition to Nix? I HIGHLY doubt it was a clean break, especially given Ralph's history with Brandon. At the very least, Brandon has sway with Ralph and Ralph likes to meddle.

If Nix had been hired off the street, I would agree with you that Brandon had an influence during the transition. The fact is Nix has been in the organization & was promoted so he did not need as much transition as an outsider would.

Nix has been here for 2 drafts now. The 1st was very good with only the Maybin pick being in question & it has been widely reported that Jauron was reponsible for that pick. Nix has said he would not have drafted a player like Maybin if he were in charge.

I agree that Brandon has sway with Ralph & Ralph has meddled before. Lets hope those days are over.

I would hope all Bills fans give Buddy & Chan a couple years to prove themselves.

starrymessenger
05-25-2010, 01:47 PM
He's dying to display his new 15 second post play celebration after each tackle.

The 3-4 OLB should be perfect for him. He better take advantage of this golden opportunity.

You forgot to mention "...each tackle made by somebody else".

User Manuel
05-26-2010, 11:40 AM

He would have to be a monster failure to top some of them.

He would be in the conversation though.