• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MidnightVoice
    Retired (mostly)
    • Mar 2003

Pat Kirwan: Even the Lions are better than the Bills

The Cowboys have quietly put themselves in position to make some noise in 2010. Find out where they land in these offseason rankings of every NFL team.

Buffalo Bills: I will get some negative comments about the Lions being ranked ahead of the Bills, but Buffalo has many problems. Who is the QB? Who blocks the edges in the protection schemes? Who replaces the production WR Terrell Owens delivered last year? How does a defense that gave up 156.3 yards per game on the ground get better when the front office took a running back in the first round of the draft and converted to a 3-4 scheme?

St. Louis Rams: The Rams made the right decision taking quarterback Sam Bradford in the first round, but it also means the rebuild is going to take time. No one wants to hear it, but Rams fans still have to be patient.

But to play
    that’s the thing
    shut up and deal
    ~ Jesse May
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: Pat Kirwan: Even the Lions are better than the Bills

Originally posted by MidnightVoice
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Buffalo Bills: I will get some negative comments about the Lions being ranked ahead of the Bills, but Buffalo has many problems. Who is the QB? Who blocks the edges in the protection schemes? Who replaces the production WR Terrell Owens delivered last year? How does a defense that gave up 156.3 yards per game on the ground get better when the front office took a running back in the first round of the draft and converted to a 3-4 scheme?

St. Louis Rams: The Rams made the right decision taking quarterback Sam Bradford in the first round, but it also means the rebuild is going to take time. No one wants to hear it, but Rams fans still have to be patient.
    They may well have more wins than us, idk. I have a bet that we beat the Lions when we play them so I hope we kick their ass haha

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Sure its all good on paper. But lets hope having a coaching staff that might have a clue plays into this teams production.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Jaybird
        • Dec 2005

How does he know who is better?? we haven't played a game yet!

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
          Pinkerton's son
          • Feb 2006

heres the other thing...can our run defense get worse? I mean i know it can, but I have a feeling that with the guys we have with their hands on the ground, its gonna allow our LBs to make more tackles and it could improve marginally.

Comment

• DesertFox24
            • Jul 2005

I agree with Jaybird how the heck does anyone know who will do what.

We as bills fans really should not get all bent out of shape over this crap, everyone is going to pick our team to suck till the players and coaches change that perception on Sundays.

In the meantime I am just going to sit back, relax, and wait for the preseason games to see how our young players look.

Then hope we win 7 games this year.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

I love the fact that so many of the pundits - as well as many fans - are totally writing us off.

It will make it that much sweeter when we sneak up on the other teams and clobber them with ChanBall.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                I love the fact that so many of the pundits - as well as many fans - are totally writing us off.

It will make it that much sweeter when we sneak up on the other teams and clobber them with ChanBall.
                It's better to set your expectations low. Our team is a mess. I can only hope Gailey hired the right assistants that can rebuild faster than usual.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                  It's better to set your expectations low. Our team is a mess. I can only hope Gailey hired the right assistants that can rebuild faster than usual.
                  Oh, I agree justa. But I can't do it, at least not in the offseason. I'll probably be a screaming lunatic a couple of games into the season.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    Oh, I agree justa. But I can't do it, at least not in the offseason. I'll probably be a screaming lunatic a couple of games into the season.
                    I think our team is the worst in the league right now. But unlike others, I don't dwell on it. Even at our worse I can find ways to enjoy watching the bills.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

on paper, with no emotion tied into it, it is hard to see where the bills will be good. There a ton of question marks.

1. new defense...it could be worse, it could be better.
                      2. new OC - could be worse, but unlikely.

Those are two huge topics and there are a lot of questions at each position. I think all Kirwan is saying is that the lions have spent a year developing that new core and had mixed results. they at least know what they need to do to get better.

The bills, on the other hand, will be trying this all from scratch in September. We'll see if it works, but often times new regimes need some time. i think as fans, we know how god awful jauron was and even if gailey is a failure, he won't be worse than jauron. even if the record is worse this year, i think he commits to better players and forces the weak ones out. no more watching SS play LB because he likes them.

Comment

• Ed
                        Dude
                        • Sep 2002

I understand that with our lack of upgrades at QB and OT we still don't look like a playoff team, but I don't understand why people think we'll be so much worse then last year. Our current qb's and OT's may not be the answer for us long term, but it's highly unlikely that their play is going to get worse.

I think we can all agree that our coaching was terrible last year, so even if we had the same players and just a little bit more competent coaching, I don't see how we're suddenly the worst team in the league.

If we have so many problems, how did we win 6 games last year, and 7 three years in a row before that?

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                          • Apr 2004

The offense will be better by default, but it won't be enough to make up for the defense taking a step back because of the scheme switch and lack of depth.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ed
                            I understand that with our lack of upgrades at QB and OT we still don't look like a playoff team, but I don't understand why people think we'll be so much worse then last year. Our current qb's and OT's may not be the answer for us long term, but it's highly unlikely that their play is going to get worse.

I think we can all agree that our coaching was terrible last year, so even if we had the same players and just a little bit more competent coaching, I don't see how we're suddenly the worst team in the league.

If we have so many problems, how did we win 6 games last year, and 7 three years in a row before that?

I think we're bad simply because everyone else got better . Our success will depend on how soon our coaches can develop our players to make the tranisitions.

What scares me is that even though our assistant coaches have had success at the level they were in whether it was college or CFL, we on't know how they will do in the NFL.
                            sacrifice1

Comment

• k-oneputt
                              • Jun 2009

I actually think the defense is going to be better.

Now the offense, with the coaching alone has to improve some.

The issue before the draft; we need a left tackle, a qb, and even a right tackle. After the draft we still need a LT, QB, and a RT.

Comment

Working...
                              X