PDA

View Full Version : We got a real OC now

ghz in pittsburgh
05-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Listen to Edwards talk -
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/05/26/gaileys-expertise-noticed-early/

And if you have paid attention, Kevin Gilbride is the other Bills OC that loves to do this kind of things: it's not just about a play design; it's more about a chess game with winning at the end as the goal.

I know people had fits with Gilbride at the time. But looking back with Bills offensive woes since then, he's probably the last OC who developed an offense that suited the talent at hand: Bledsoe, Moulds, Price, Henry.

Likewise I have reasonable confidence that Gailey will utilize what he has now: Lynch, Jackson, Spiller, Evans, with a QB Edwards who is best at short but quick passes.

The hope is that our front office will remain on the same page with the coaches. Donahoe bombed at Mike Williams at O-Line for pass protection, replaced Price with Reed. Things fell apart quickly. I pray we don't go down similar path here.

The potential problem for Gailey is like Gilbride as well. There could be time he goes too far. I knew he has done this before in Pittsburgh. I don't know what he did in Dallas/Miami/KC. At least in Pitt, he has Cowher who balanced things out, now he's the top dog in Buffalo, it's all on whether he took his lessons from the past ...

justasportsfan
05-26-2010, 10:12 AM
One things for sure, the O is going to be better than what we had with Dick "eventually".

Question is does he know defense ? Can he outsmart BB, Ryan's D/running game and can Gailey stop the fins' wildcat?

As for Gilbride. He was all pass when he was here. He evolved and my opinion is, Coughlin told him to run the ball.

Commissioner
05-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Listen to Edwards talk -
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/05/26/gaileys-expertise-noticed-early/

And if you have paid attention, Kevin Gilbride is the other Bills OC that loves to do this kind of things: it's not just about a play design; it's more about a chess game with winning at the end as the goal.

I know people had fits with Gilbride at the time. But looking back with Bills offensive woes since then, he's probably the last OC who developed an offense that suited the talent at hand: Bledsoe, Moulds, Price, Henry.

Likewise I have reasonable confidence that Gailey will utilize what he has now: Lynch, Jackson, Spiller, Evans, with a QB Edwards who is best at short but quick passes.

The hope is that our front office will remain on the same page with the coaches. Donahoe bombed at Mike Williams at O-Line for pass protection, replaced Price with Reed. Things fell apart quickly. I pray we don't go down similar path here.

The potential problem for Gailey is like Gilbride as well. There could be time he goes too far. I knew he has done this before in Pittsburgh. I don't know what he did in Dallas/Miami/KC. At least in Pitt, he has Cowher who balanced things out, now he's the top dog in Buffalo, it's all on whether he took his lessons from the past ...

Cowher called him the most creative offensive mind he's worked with and said if he coached this year he would of wanted him to be his OC.

madness
05-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Cowher called him the most creative offensive mind he's worked with and said if he coached this year he would of wanted him to be his OC.

...and he also said all OC's say they want to run the ball even though they never really mean it. Cowher said he only met one OC who did... Coach Gailey.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-26-2010, 11:16 AM
But still, he's the one who started 5WR set in Pittsburgh with Neil O'Donnell as QB!

tatersalad
05-26-2010, 11:22 AM
i think if we become a smash mouth team as projected we will suprise people,

cordog
05-26-2010, 11:23 AM
But still, he's the one who started 5WR set in Pittsburgh with Neil O'Donnell as QB!

O'Donnell left after the 95 season. Gailey began as OC the 96 season.

User Manuel
05-26-2010, 11:38 AM
If I recall, he utilized the 5 WR form,ation to spread the field to give Kordell options and utilize his athleticism. also, it gave Stewart easier reads, if i recall.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-26-2010, 01:56 PM
O'Donnell left after the 95 season. Gailey began as OC the 96 season.

True. But Chan was the Receiver Coach then and it was him introduced those dramatic 5WR to the Steelers. At the time their OC was Ron Ear<some>dt whose stomach would churn every time the ball was in the air. he moved to the Jets after the 95 season - enticing O'Donnell going there.

It was well known in Pittsburgh at the time that had he not resign, Cowher would still get rid of him and promote Chan to the OC position.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-26-2010, 02:05 PM
i think if we become a smash mouth team as projected we will suprise people,

I'm not so sure, at least for this season.

1) Smash mouth team needs a smash mouth defense. If you are behind by 2 TDs 20 minutes into a game, it's just hard to continue grinding on the ground. The Bills was not a stellar defensive team and is in the process of changing from 4-3 to 3-4.

2) Gailey, from his history, will have a lot of variations of running or near running offensive plays, e.g. a 5WR set but a pitch to his running back behind at the scrimmage.