PDA

View Full Version : Parrish getting fresh start

ZAZusmc03
05-27-2010, 01:25 PM
http://blogblitz.nfl.com/buffalo-bills/entry/new_regime_gives_parrish_a

He also confirms that Lynch was NOT in attendance again today.

THATHURMANATOR
05-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Completely forgot we still had him.

OpIv37
05-27-2010, 01:29 PM
I just don't see him as a weapon on offense. He runs crappy routes and he's too easy to drag down, so he's really only effective in space. And I think his size makes it hard for QB's to find him. He's had plenty of opportunities to crack the lineup but has never made it above 3rd on the depth chart.

Maybe Gailey can find a use for him, but I'm not holding my breath. He's just another Miami guy with a bad attitude who racked up college stats against inferior teams.

justasportsfan
05-27-2010, 01:32 PM
I just don't see him as a weapon on offense. He runs crappy routes and he's too easy to drag down, so he's really only effective in space. And I think his size makes it hard for QB's to find him. He's had plenty of opportunities to crack the lineup but has never made it above 3rd on the depth chart.

Under Dick, Evans and TO had the worst season of their careers. We could've had Welker instead of Parrish and he would have been useless.

ddaryl
05-27-2010, 02:30 PM
I think we have better options then Parrish... but then he was never was used properly as a WR since the day we drafted him..

OpIv37
05-27-2010, 02:37 PM
I think we have better options then Parrish... but then he was never was used properly as a WR since the day we drafted him..

but how much of that is due to our poor coaching, and how much of that is due to his own shortcomings? It's a double variable situation, but I suspect his own shortcomings have a lot to do with it.

psubills62
05-27-2010, 02:38 PM
I don't buy the "Parrish was never used properly" excuse. I think he just sucks. He might have a career year (break 300 yards, maybe?) this year, but if he does it's out of necessity, not from talent.

I think he may stick around this year, but should definitely be replaced next year.

k-oneputt
05-27-2010, 02:55 PM
He brings more to the table then Reed ever did. We know he is good in space and can take it the distance. I think Gailey uses him properly and is a weapon this year.
The Levy/Jauron/Russ clusterf*** was the worse coaching/management in Bills history imo.

OpIv37
05-27-2010, 02:59 PM
He brings more to the table then Reed ever did. We know he is good in space and can take it the distance. I think Gailey uses him properly and is a weapon this year.
The Levy/Jauron/Russ clusterf*** was the worse coaching/management in Bills history imo.

Reed was money on 3rd down and far more consistent over the course of his career than Parrish. The problem with Reed is that he's a solid #3 WR that the Bills tried to turn into a #2 WR. The problem with Parrish is that he's a punt returner/scat-back that the Bills try to use at WR because that's what he played in college. They have no problems switching the positions of half our draft picks every year or putting in a new defensive system that requires 5 starters to learn new positions, but for some reason they keep trying to pound a square peg into a round hole with Parrish.

justasportsfan
05-27-2010, 03:01 PM
but how much of that is due to our poor coaching, and how much of that is due to his own shortcomings? .

No one knows but one things for sure, no one has flourished under Dick offensively but Jackson. Even then , Dick chose Lynch over Jackson.

If you look at Dicks history as a HC, other than one exceptional year, his offenses ranked at the bottom of the league no matter who his players were. In other words, he is clueless offensively and the players pay for it.

OpIv37
05-27-2010, 03:03 PM
No one knows but one things for sure, no one has flourished under Dick offensively but Jackson. Even then , Dick chose Lynch over Jackson.

If you look at Dicks history as a HC, other than one exceptional year, his offenses ranked at the bottom of the league no matter who his players were. In other words, he is clueless offensively and the players pay for it.

so did the fans.

k-oneputt
05-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Reed sucks. notice he was immediately let go by Gailey and has yet to sign with anybody. He has to be the slowest wr in the NFL.
Parrish has skills that can be used with GOOD coaching, something that hasn't been seen around here for a long time.
And he should have never come off of punt returns either last year. A couple of bad mental errors and he is gone to the bench ??? He was one of the few players who could actually make a big play on this team. Typical Jauron.

OpIv37
05-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Reed sucks. notice he was immediately let go by Gailey and has yet to sign with anybody. He has to be the slowest wr in the NFL.
Parrish has skills that can be used with GOOD coaching, something that hasn't been seen around here for a long time.
And he should have never come off of punt returns either last year. A couple of bad mental errors and he is gone to the bench ??? He was one of the few players who could actually make a big play on this team. Typical Jauron.

A couple of bad mental errors?

After 5 years in the league the guy made the same mental errors that he did as a rookie. It was one of the few times in Jauron's career that he actually held a player accountable for their performance.

k-oneputt
05-27-2010, 03:13 PM
The guy was the best punt returner in the league for three years. What, did he forget how under Jauron last year ? Jauron screwed so many people up on this team he couldn't just put him back there and let him be.

Let us know when/if Reed is actually on a team come Sept.12th.

OpIv37
05-27-2010, 03:35 PM
The guy was the best punt returner in the league for three years. What, did he forget how under Jauron last year ? Jauron screwed so many people up on this team he couldn't just put him back there and let him be.

Let us know when/if Reed is actually on a team come Sept.12th.

he was always a feast-or-famine punt returner. He'd have a spectacular return, then follow it up by trying to catch the ball on the fly, or fielding the ball inside the ten, or running backwards to get an angle and losing 8 yards. He never got over those mental mistakes. The guy was a liability as much as he was an asset. Man, people on this site have some extremely selective memories.

ddaryl
05-27-2010, 03:46 PM
but how much of that is due to our poor coaching, and how much of that is due to his own shortcomings? It's a double variable situation, but I suspect his own shortcomings have a lot to do with it.

It's a hard call. I don;'t think Parrish offers us much as a 3rd WR but as a 4th or 5th WR in spreads he could be effective.

Other then that I think we need to look at the taller more physical WR's we have on our roster... I also would rather roll out Freddy Jackson and Spiller into the WR sets over Parrish

Jackson just deserves to get the ball, and Spiller should be more explosive then Parrish could have ever been

psubills62
05-27-2010, 03:51 PM
It's a hard call. I don;'t think Parrish offers us much as a 3rd WR but as a 4th or 5th WR in spreads he could be effective.

Other then that I think we need to look at the taller more physical WR's we have on our roster... I also would rather roll out Freddy Jackson and Spiller into the WR sets over Parrish

Jackson just deserves to get the ball, and Spiller should be more explosive then Parrish could have ever been

I think whatever touches Parrish gets early on in the year will eventually be taken over by Spiller.

k-oneputt
05-27-2010, 04:43 PM
The guy averages over 12 yards per punt return for his career, and that includes last years mess.
He has speed and can make guys miss. If used correctly he can be an asset. He surely brings more then Reed. Talk about selctive memory, what did Reed ever bring ? The guy can't even get signed to a training camp.

Don't Panic
05-27-2010, 07:20 PM
This much is for sure... Parrish couldn't ask for a better situation than the one he is in in terms of offensive philosophy. As T said, Gailey will make use of him if he can do his part. This will either be the year he finally gets it or his last with the team.

OpIv37
05-27-2010, 07:30 PM
The guy averages over 12 yards per punt return for his career, and that includes last years mess.
He has speed and can make guys miss. If used correctly he can be an asset. He surely brings more then Reed. Talk about selctive memory, what did Reed ever bring ? The guy can't even get signed to a training camp.

If he can't keep his head in the game, he can't be used correctly. He has proven repeatedly that he can't keep his head in the game. I'd gladly take a guy with less big play ability who is also less mistake-prone. Muffed punts and losing yards on returns can kill momentum and cost us games.

YardRat
05-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Parrish sucks, especially as a WR, and whenever I see or hear his name I remember the Historian calling that shot right from the minute he was drafted.

If I were GM, I'd cut his ass and re-sign Reed tonight.

psubills62
05-27-2010, 09:03 PM

Somehow your selective memory seems to ignore the fact that Fred Jackson had a better punt return average filling in for Parrish through the last couple years. Maybe Parrish was a product of the blockers, not necessarily his "skill."

You really think that any team would be interested in Parrish as a receiver if he was let go? I really wonder why on earth you're getting so excited about someone who has barely broken 1000 yards in his 5-year career.

Parrish is crap at this point. For as underwhelming as Reed was, he was still a mile better than Parrish because of 1) his blocking, and 2) his dependability. Reed was better at getting key first downs than Parrish ever will be.

Yeah, great, Parrish can make a guy miss, run backwards 15 yards and get tackled. Remember that play? That's exactly what we need more of. Parrish dancing around and forgetting that forward is the better direction. Parrish has done practically nothing as a receiver. He's horrible at the deep ball, doesn't go over the middle, is indecisive, and ends up dancing around if he doesn't have 10 blockers in front of him.

justasportsfan
05-27-2010, 09:24 PM
why cut him without checking him out yourself. I'm almost sure Gailey thinks Dick was an idiot offensively and didn't know what to do with his players which is why he'd rather check them out himself.

k-oneputt
05-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Parrish sucks, especially as a WR, and whenever I see or hear his name I remember the Historian calling that shot right from the minute he was drafted.

If I were GM, I'd cut his ass and re-sign Reed tonight.

YardCat, wtf is your problem with our new gm ? If you can get your selective memory out of your a** for a minute you will realize that the ******ed moron who was running this team has been fired and when they fired him our new crew came in and immediately cut all receivers that run 5.0 forties who can't catch. So if you can't get over your man love for Reed you might try contacting him in Canada as he will most likely be playing there soon, or he may just say f*** it and retire. 50/50 prop at the moment, similiar to him catching five out of ten balls thrown his way.
I swear to God we have some of the dumbest fans in the NFL.

k-oneputt
05-27-2010, 10:00 PM
And for the rest of you clueless hardons, Parrish at minimum will be returning punts in the league.

jamze132
05-28-2010, 02:16 AM
I would say that Parrish sucks. I would also say that he has never been coached properly either. Either way, I'm not a huge fan of him unless he is returning punts.

Jan Reimers
05-28-2010, 11:47 AM
why cut him without checking him out yourself. I'm almost sure Gailey thinks Dick was an idiot offensively and didn't know what to do with his players which is why he'd rather check them out himself.
I agree, justa. Why not give him a fresh start with the new regime? He was a talented playmaker in college and a good returner for us until recently.

If he is as unsuited for the NFL game as his detractors say, we get rid of him. If Chan can design some plays where we can utilize his speed and elusiveness, we have another weapon in our arsenal.

Philagape
05-28-2010, 12:28 PM
And for the rest of you clueless hardons, Parrish at minimum will be returning punts in the league.

You should stick with playing Madden instead of trying to evaluate actual players.

k-oneputt
05-28-2010, 05:50 PM
You should stick with playing Madden instead of trying to evaluate actual players.

OK. I'll listen to you guys.

I can count on one hand who know what they are talking about.

YardRat
05-28-2010, 08:40 PM
YardCat, wtf is your problem with our new gm ? If you can get your selective memory out of your a** for a minute you will realize that the ******ed moron who was running this team has been fired and when they fired him our new crew came in and immediately cut all receivers that run 5.0 forties who can't catch. So if you can't get over your man love for Reed you might try contacting him in Canada as he will most likely be playing there soon, or he may just say f*** it and retire. 50/50 prop at the moment, similiar to him catching five out of ten balls thrown his way.
I swear to God we have some of the dumbest fans in the NFL.

I really considered firing right back in kind, but I'll take the higher road and simply address some of your comments...

I have no problem at all with Nix, and am actually pretty stoked to have a football-guy/talent evaluator at the helm. I was simply commenting on a theoretical scenario and what I would do personally if were in Nix's place. Parrish flat out sucks, sorry you haven't come to that realization yet.

As for WR's getting cut, I could be wrong but none were axed other than Jenkins...Owens and Reed were free agents, and not offered contracts.

Per Reed...regardless of your opinion, he's a better route runner than Parrish, better in traffic, has better hands, not to mention that the skill level isn't even close in the blocking department.

Reed is a good fit for the slot...Parrish is a china doll/tiny dancer with more flash than actual ability...The guy's been virtually non-existent in the passing game, and one or two sparkly punt returns per season isn't a big enough payback for the investment.

You can ride Roscoe's jock all you want, but don't be surprised come opening day if he isn't even taking up space on the roster, because his ass getting shown the door is better than a 50/50 chance.