PDA

View Full Version : Defensive scheme more complex

mrbojanglezs
05-28-2010, 06:17 AM
Defensive scheme more complex
Chris Brown
Posted May 28, 2010 – 6:03 am
Tags: Donte Whitner, George Edwards
In speaking with a lot of the defensive players the past few days, to say that Buffalo’s new defensive scheme is more complex would be an understatement.

Coming from the Tampa 2 system to the new 3-4 under defensive coordinator George Edwards it’s pretty clear that the Bills will have a lot more to throw at their opponents this season and the players could not be happier.

“In the coverage it’s a lot of better,” said Donte Whitner. ”We previously played the Tampa 2 and it’s just spot dropping and breaking on the football. Now everything that we do basically turns into man.

“No matter what coverage we’re playing, we don’t play regular cover two. There might be a spot here and there, but we’re doing so much now. We’ve put more in the last two days than we had in our playbook the entire season last year. We’re putting in about eight different defenses a day, so we’re up to 24 or 25 now before we return on Tuesday.”

Whitner and his defensive teammates like what they’ve seen and heard from Edwards and believe they’ll have an opportunity to dictate play more to their opponent instead of reacting.

“Coach Edwards really understands what we have to do in terms of downs and situations and putting players in position to make plays and get teams in third and long so we can play with these teams and have some fun,” Whitner said. ”That’s what we’ve been working on straight out the gate. He said he’s not going to slow down with his installs. We welcome it. It’s been fun so far. We’ll see where it goes.”

After the first week of OTAs it’s hard not to think that this year’s defense will be far more dynamic. Defensive backs have been making a ton of plays on the ball this first week and Donte believes it’s the byproduct of simply playing a lot more man coverage, something that the DBs on this team are more than capable of handling, but never had the chance to do much of in the past.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/05/28/defensive-scheme-more-complex/

ddaryl
05-28-2010, 07:24 AM
just as long as "complex" doesn't translate to the "New Vanilla"

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
05-28-2010, 07:30 AM
I hope we blitz a lot more this year.

ddaryl
05-28-2010, 07:31 AM
I hope we blitz a lot more this year.

the 3-4 should do exactly that for us.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
05-28-2010, 07:34 AM
the 3-4 should do exactly that for us.

I would like to see the style of defense like back when Wade was here. Wade was not afraid to send the kitchen sink.

psubills62
05-28-2010, 08:34 AM
I like the sounds of that. We drafted enough "genius" players that they ought to start making use of one of the few advantages they have over opponents.

What the heck is up with this quote:

In the coverage it’s a lot of better

I think Donte's speech needs to "get a lot of better."

Jan Reimers
05-28-2010, 10:14 AM
The more aggressive, the better. Dick's D never really forced anything, or made stuff happen. I hope our new D really let's it fly from the first play of the game.

ddaryl
05-28-2010, 10:30 AM
The more aggressive, the better. Dick's D never really forced anything, or made stuff happen. I hope our new D really let's it fly from the first play of the game.

I think from this day forward all Bills fans are officially Lesbians...

From the piss poor work ethic that Jauron had here, from the weak ass game day decisions and the worthless non exisitent game adjustments, to just watching our players look clueless time and time again and never really ever get better....

The majority of us just HATE DICK

justasportsfan
05-28-2010, 10:37 AM
I would like to see the style of defense like back when Wade was here. Wade was not afraid to send the kitchen sink.

This is why it's hard for me to fault any of our players for not making plays when they were made to sit back and react instead of being aggressive. The D became more aggressive when Fewell took over . A little too late.

It's hard to gauge how good or bad a player is when they've only played for one crappy coach. If they still suck under Gailey , then it's easier to grade them.

DraftBoy
05-28-2010, 10:46 AM
My one concern with this defensive switch is with McGee is he is playing man to man. I really dont think he is a good fit there, especially if they go Cover 1 with the S.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-28-2010, 11:41 AM
My one concern with this defensive switch is with McGee is he is playing man to man. I really dont think he is a good fit there, especially if they go Cover 1 with the S.

Actually I'm more worried about Florence. He signed big contract with the Fins and was terrible because he was asked to cover 1-on-1 there. He was good last year because of cover 2, which allowed him to be aggressive.

I'm looking forward to see a breakout year from McKelvin because he's perfect for this scheme. I believe McGee is OK because he's done a lot man over the years and he has the speed to match almost anyone. He's a little short but I believe he really understands how to get into the right position with veteran expectations. Just remember if a QB throw a perfect ball to Randy Moss, there is not much ANY CB can do.

I actually think reggie corner may be in trouble.

justasportsfan
05-28-2010, 11:43 AM
McGee got burned time to time trying to cover the other teams NO.1 wr without any pressure on the qb from our DL. Should our lb'ers step up and rush the passers , I think McGee will be fine.

DraftBoy
05-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Actually I'm more worried about Florence. He signed big contract with the Fins and was terrible because he was asked to cover 1-on-1 there. He was good last year because of cover 2, which allowed him to be aggressive.

I'm looking forward to see a breakout year from McKelvin because he's perfect for this scheme. I believe McGee is OK because he's done a lot man over the years and he has the speed to match almost anyone. He's a little short but I believe he really understands how to get into the right position with veteran expectations. Just remember if a QB throw a perfect ball to Randy Moss, there is not much ANY CB can do.

Do you mean Jacksonville as opposed to Miami?

Florence was good at the man cover scheme in San Diego which I think is very similar to how we will run our system, so Im less concerned about him.

When has McGee plays a lot of man? We have run hardly any man since we drafted him. He ran a zone coverage system in college as well.

better days
05-28-2010, 12:27 PM

I think the fact the Bills have very good safetys will allow the CBs to be aggressive.

Prov401
05-28-2010, 12:59 PM

The thing with the 3-4 is the OLB's flare out most of the time, when they aren't blitzing, and pick up all of the underneath stuff. That gives the CB opportunity to play on top of the receiver instead of playing him straight up, where someone like Brandon Marshall will smoke McGee. ILB's pick up the quick Welker type slants. The only time I would be worried about our CB's getting beat one on one, are mostly on blitzing downs.

billz83
05-28-2010, 02:56 PM
"We’ve put more in the last two days than we had in our playbook the entire season last year. "

wowwww all the skeletonz are coming out thas just straight ugly!

EDS
05-28-2010, 03:34 PM
The thing with the 3-4 is the OLB's flare out most of the time, when they aren't blitzing, and pick up all of the underneath stuff. That gives the CB opportunity to play on top of the receiver instead of playing him straight up, where someone like Brandon Marshall will smoke McGee. ILB's pick up the quick Welker type slants. The only time I would be worried about our CB's getting beat one on one, are mostly on blitzing downs.

I don't like the idea of any of the Bills linebackers trying to cover a Welker type. That sounds like an easy ten yards for the opposing team.

MikeInRoch
05-28-2010, 03:48 PM
All the scheming in the world won't help that much if you don't have a front 7 that can stop the run.

Turf
05-28-2010, 03:53 PM
This once again explains alot. I hope there's a scheme to stop an 8 yard pass on 3rd and 8. I don't think I can take another season of that.

bflojohn
05-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Turf, teams knock QB's on their a$$ on 3rd and 8, so the pass rush has to get "home" to make this whole concept work. I'm optimistic!!

Yasgur's Farm
05-28-2010, 05:04 PM
My one concern with this defensive switch is with McGee is he is playing man to man. I really dont think he is a good fit there, especially if they go Cover 1 with the S.I'm not 100% convinced that McGee starts... I thik the combo of Florence and McKelvin has a lot more to offer.

muestafa1
05-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Hopefully this will signal the end of an opposing WR catching an easy 10-15 yard pass with three Bills in zone coverage at least 10 yards away in each direction. At least make the opposing WR beat you...

nateodoms'bff
05-28-2010, 07:08 PM
McGee is the most physical corner on this team. He attacks the ball, and breaks up passes. he tackles well, and is strong enough to got get shrugged off by physical receivers.

Florence is the perfect nickel. He plays tough and finishes plays. And he can blitz and pick up a screen.

BillsWin
05-28-2010, 07:37 PM
More proof of Jauron's incompetence? Do we really need more?