PDA

View Full Version : The Dilema of the Two Sport Athlete

DraftBoy
05-28-2010, 08:52 PM
With many talking about QB Jake Locker as a potential pick for us next season, I took a closer look at the history of two sport athletes and how four current NFL prospects wil face a decision very soon about which sport to choose;

http://draftnasty.com/football/blogs/john/the-two-sport-athletes-dilemma-baseball-or-football/

Eventually
05-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Great Read DB-

I always knew of the big names you had in there, but lot of the older players you mentioned I had no idea were 2 sport guys before.

I completely agree with your assessment of locker's future as well.

DraftBoy
05-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Great Read DB-

I always knew of the big names you had in there, but lot of the older players you mentioned I had no idea were 2 sport guys before.

I completely agree with your assessment of locker's future as well.

Thanks!

Yea as I was doing my background research, I came across the information on Mantle and Kilabrew. Pretty cool stuff, imo.

A lot about Locker will depend on how he reacts to this news about the Angels fining him. The NCAA will be watching very closely to see how it all gets handled.

Eventually
05-29-2010, 02:25 AM
Thanks!

Yea as I was doing my background research, I came across the information on Mantle and Kilabrew. Pretty cool stuff, imo.

A lot about Locker will depend on how he reacts to this news about the Angels fining him. The NCAA will be watching very closely to see how it all gets handled.

Yeah Definitely in regards to the finable situation he's in with LAA, but I was also thinking how much pressure is on this kid to not only perform really well, but to show a consistent development, because if he doesn't he could be looking at a mid round selection, or even worse if he tanks it this year he could go the jevan snead route.

Personally I like what the kid has to offer in terms of initial potential, but am also really eager to see how he performs this upcoming season. I typically don't watch their games too often but this season I'm going to certainly be paying close attention to him, Mallet and Ponder. I really don't see luck declaring otherwise I'd have to include him in that group as well. My personal order on these guys so far is Locker, Luck, Ponder, Mallet. I'm also very curious about Pryor, not sure if he'll be a higly touted guy draftwise, but I think with the way Gailey really likes mobile QB's, if he can show a big development and increase his accuracy he could be a guy that Gailey would have an eye on.

Back to point though. two sport guys are rarely as high profile as they were in the day, but it's actually not that hard to fathom, especially after reading the article, because these pros in alot of sports are in such good condition that there is a great chance you can see a guy playing another sport and converting to football or vice versa.

Again really great topic, am actually a bit disappointed there hasn't been much convo in here so far, would really like to hear other BZoners take on this.

jamze132
05-29-2010, 02:29 AM
I was a two-sport athlete too. Baseball and killing mofo's. I chose to go kill instead of a much more safer career playing pro baseball. What a dumbass.

DraftBoy
05-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Yeah Definitely in regards to the finable situation he's in with LAA, but I was also thinking how much pressure is on this kid to not only perform really well, but to show a consistent development, because if he doesn't he could be looking at a mid round selection, or even worse if he tanks it this year he could go the jevan snead route.

Personally I like what the kid has to offer in terms of initial potential, but am also really eager to see how he performs this upcoming season. I typically don't watch their games too often but this season I'm going to certainly be paying close attention to him, Mallet and Ponder. I really don't see luck declaring otherwise I'd have to include him in that group as well. My personal order on these guys so far is Locker, Luck, Ponder, Mallet. I'm also very curious about Pryor, not sure if he'll be a higly touted guy draftwise, but I think with the way Gailey really likes mobile QB's, if he can show a big development and increase his accuracy he could be a guy that Gailey would have an eye on.

Back to point though. two sport guys are rarely as high profile as they were in the day, but it's actually not that hard to fathom, especially after reading the article, because these pros in alot of sports are in such good condition that there is a great chance you can see a guy playing another sport and converting to football or vice versa.

Again really great topic, am actually a bit disappointed there hasn't been much convo in here so far, would really like to hear other BZoners take on this.

I dont see another Jackson or Sanders coming along any time soon, just because it so hard to do and teams seem more fickle now to let one of their stars play two sports.

As for the lack of discussion it is a holiday weekend, hopefully after the holiday the discussion will pick up because this really is an interesting topic to talk about, especially when you get into the specifics of how the workouts for the two different sports do different things but really help each other out in terms of keeping key muscle groups in shape over the offseason.

The Jokeman
05-29-2010, 01:50 PM
With many talking about QB Jake Locker as a potential pick for us next season, I took a closer look at the history of two sport athletes and how four current NFL prospects wil face a decision very soon about which sport to choose;

http://draftnasty.com/football/blogs/john/the-two-sport-athletes-dilemma-baseball-or-football/
Nice article but I need to ask, what kind of Buffalo Bills are you that you write an article like that and don't mention Brian Jordan at all? Granted he never played a down here in but he was drafted here in Buffalo and remember hearing that Marv once said he was one of the toughest cuts he ever made. Even worse I think you live in Georgia.

DraftBoy
05-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Nice article but I need to ask, what kind of Buffalo Bills are you that you write an article like that and don't mention Brian Jordan at all? Granted he never played a down here in but he was drafted here in Buffalo and remember hearing that Marv once said he was one of the toughest cuts he ever made. Even worse I think you live in Georgia.

I choose to concentrate on well known players and those that made an impact in the sports they played. .282, 184 HR, 821 RBI...only one season with +.300 BA and two 25 HR seasons.

Not really on the radar for me.

The Jokeman
05-29-2010, 02:42 PM
I choose to concentrate on well known players and those that made an impact in the sports they played. .282, 184 HR, 821 RBI...only one season with +.300 BA and two 25 HR seasons.

Not really on the radar for me.

Seasonal Averages (per 162 games played)
YEARS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
8.99 162 574 84 162 30 4 20 91 39 94 13 5 .282 .333 .455 .788

compared to Bo:
4.28 162 559 80 140 20 3 33 97 47 196 19 7 .250 .309 .474 .783

Jordan was a way better baseball player than Bo IMHO. Yet most don't see it due to the focus on the long ball nowadays.

DraftBoy
05-29-2010, 02:46 PM
8.99 162 574 84 162 30 4 20 91 39 94 13 5 .282 .333 .455 .788

compared to Bo:
4.28 162 559 80 140 20 3 33 97 47 196 19 7 .250 .309 .474 .783

Not really do Brian Jordan any favors there. Bo Jackson didn't get any of the off season Jordan did, as he was playing football and Jackson still had better power, and production.

The Jokeman
05-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Not really do Brian Jordan any favors there. Bo Jackson didn't get any of the off season Jordan did, as he was playing football and Jackson still had better power, and production.
I hate the "Power" arguement as to me I'd rather have a guy who hits .290 and 20 dingers then one that hits .250 and 33 dingers. As my favorite player growing up was Rickey Henderson.

Eventually
05-29-2010, 04:01 PM
I hate the "Power" arguement as to me I'd rather have a guy who hits .290 and 20 dingers then one that hits .250 and 33 dingers. As my favorite player growing up was Rickey Henderson.

Actually depends on alot of other variables for me to decide- what kind of homers the guy is getting. Those extra 13 could equate from 13 rbis to 52 rbis. More than likely somewhere in the 25-30 rbi range. Where's he batting in the lineup, if he's leadoff you would certainly rather have an avg. guy up top, and your power guy in the middle. Also power guys tend to draw more BB's than avg guys, so OBP would be something to look at, But most importantly I think I'd need to know what his average was with runners in scoring position, so if the higher avg guy is the same with runners than that is statistically relevant for certain, but again really would need to know that info to base an opinion on which I'd rather have..

In the end though I'd take the extra run production over the .40 avg anyday.

That all said Rickey was always one of my favorites growing up as well. His prowess on the diamond were never overshadowed, with the exception perhaps the ozzie. Both these guys were good on d for most of their career as well.