PDA

View Full Version : Habs' Plekanec Best Center Out There?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Buffalo and St Louis are looking for more offense in general and though they seem to have a good group of medium quality centers they could use a top notch first line guy.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/397528-nhl-2010-ufa-desert-habs-plekanec-best-center-out-there

DMBcrew36
06-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Plekanec has been something of a Sabre killer in past seasons. I've wanted him as a Sabre for a couple seasons now. He's younger than Marleau and has performed without luxury of the supporting cast Marleau has had.

I'd take either center -- but it comes down to how much money is required to get either one of them. Plekanec might be a bit cheaper than Marleau.

User Manuel
06-01-2010, 01:09 PM
It is my opinion that Sabrwes fans will find Plekanec as a bit of "more of the same." He is a qulaity player, but IMO would not bring anything to the team that they dont already have an abundance of. I would not be upset if we got him, but I wouldn't be flipping cartwheels either.

DMBcrew36
06-01-2010, 01:25 PM
It is my opinion that Sabrwes fans will find Plekanec as a bit of "more of the same." He is a qulaity player, but IMO would not bring anything to the team that they dont already have an abundance of. I would not be upset if we got him, but I wouldn't be flipping cartwheels either.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think some Sabres fans have unreal expectations - by which I mean, some seem to think anything less than a franchise caliber forward is 'more of the same.'

I do agree that to most people, Plekanec probably does not stand out as being some stud scorer. You do not hear his name plastered all over like Marleau's.

But Plekanec does play with an edge that most of our forwards do not have. He is very physical and has a slightly 'dirty' side that allows him to get under opponents skin. He obviously can score. I also think he is much more consistent than most of our forwards on a night-to-night basis - I think he was Montreal's best forward (next to Cammalerri)

User Manuel
06-01-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think some Sabres fans have unreal expectations - by which I mean, some seem to think anything less than a franchise caliber forward is 'more of the same.'

I do agree that to most people, Plekanec probably does not stand out as being some stud scorer. You do not hear his name plastered all over like Marleau's.

But Plekanec does play with an edge that most of our forwards do not have. He is very physical and has a slightly 'dirty' side that allows him to get under opponents skin. He obviously can score. I also think he is much more consistent than most of our forwards on a night-to-night basis - I think he was Montreal's best forward (next to Cammalerri)

I'll gove you that. I think i would like it more if they signed him and followed with a complimentary move to bring a bit more toughness on the wing as well. Thomas Kopecky wouldn't be a bad add IMO.

tampabay25690
06-01-2010, 04:15 PM
I can see this happening us trading a few of our medium graded players for a big name. Especially when we have good young talent in Portland....

Gerbe, McCormick, and Ennis are looking to stay up.....

SabreEleven
06-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I'll gove you that. I think i would like it more if they signed him and followed with a complimentary move to bring a bit more toughness on the wing as well. Thomas Kopecky wouldn't be a bad add IMO.

Are you having typing problems?

SabreEleven
06-01-2010, 06:18 PM
If you were a NHL Free Agent, why would you sign with the Buffalo Sabres? Unless you were a border line 4th liner.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-01-2010, 07:17 PM
If you were a NHL Free Agent, why would you sign with the Buffalo Sabres? Unless you were a border line 4th liner.

when Mike Grier re-signed in May he said

that he will be active in recruiting free agents from around the league to come to Buffalo once the free agency period begins. Current team mate and former friend in San Jose Craig Rivet was helpful in bringing Grier back to Buffalo last off-season, he added.
http://www.wben.com/Grier-Deal-A-Mutual-Agreement/7106193

SabreEleven
06-02-2010, 09:48 AM
when Mike Grier re-signed in May he said

that he will be active in recruiting free agents from around the league to come to Buffalo once the free agency period begins. Current team mate and former friend in San Jose Craig Rivet was helpful in bringing Grier back to Buffalo last off-season, he added.
http://www.wben.com/Grier-Deal-A-Mutual-Agreement/7106193

Recruiting free agents and signing these free agents are two different things.

RockStar36
06-02-2010, 09:53 AM
I am starting to hate this attitude that if the Sabres don't trade/sign for Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin, it's just more of the same and the Sabres suck.

Why would a UFA want to sign with Buffalo? They just won their division and have probably the best goalie in the league on their team. That would be two reasons.

DMBcrew36
06-02-2010, 10:13 AM
I am starting to hate this attitude that if the Sabres don't trade/sign for Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin, it's just more of the same and the Sabres suck.

Why would a UFA want to sign with Buffalo? They just won their division and have probably the best goalie in the league on their team. That would be two reasons.

Thank you - this is exactly what I was trying to get at. Some people seem to think that it's 'more of the same' unless we get a franchise forward. Well franchise forwards aren't just floating around in abundance, waiting to be signed for modest salaries.

SabreEleven
06-02-2010, 05:12 PM

Name the last high to medium free agent the Sabres signed and I really don't think Mike Grier counts plus the management treats their players like **** and Ruff takes any offensive ability that they have and crushes that into the ground. You can win all the division titles you want but the Sabres are going to continue to get their ass handed to them in the playoffs.

ddaryl
06-03-2010, 08:15 AM
we need to get tougher up front IMO while also adding some offensive spark.

So use whatever formula of trades FA and whatever young guys we have in the system to achieve this in the short term....

DMBcrew36
06-03-2010, 09:08 AM
we need to get tougher up front IMO while also adding some offensive spark.

Plekanec is only one player (obviously), but he does both of those things.

I think it's a move Regier could support - most importantly, Plekanec is not the most expensive guy out there, but he's a tough, skilled player.

WeAreArthurMoates
06-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Name the last high to medium free agent the Sabres signed and I really don't think Mike Grier counts plus the management treats their players like **** and Ruff takes any offensive ability that they have and crushes that into the ground. You can win all the division titles you want but the Sabres are going to continue to get their ass handed to them in the playoffs.

Ummm, Chris Dury

SabreEleven
06-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Ummm, Chris Drury was a trade. Nice try though

DMBcrew36
06-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Spacek in Summer '06.. that's the last one.

SabreEleven
06-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Spacek in Summer '06.. that's the last one.

Medium signing at best...and that was still 4 years ago.

RockStar36
06-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Medium signing at best...and that was still 4 years ago.

:rofl:

You asked for "high to medium", he gave you medium. What's the problem?

DMBcrew36
06-03-2010, 12:42 PM

And I can argue that it was more than 'medium at best.' It was medium to above medium based on what Spacek had done leading up to the signing - what happened after does not matter, because he wasn't signed based on a crystal ball of his future. Spacek was signed by Regier after having a monster playoff for Edmonton, helping them reach the Cup Finals.

SabreEleven
06-03-2010, 03:03 PM

Was it that great of a signing? He had one good year.

RockStar36
06-03-2010, 03:05 PM

It's funny because you asked a question, he answered it, but that wasn't good enough.

Next time just rephrase the question as you intended it, "Name the last 50 goal scorer the Sabres signed in free agency."

DMBcrew36
06-03-2010, 03:12 PM

I know at the time of the signing, there was hype over what he could bring to the powerplay with his booming shot. Unfortunately, Scott Arniel left as Spacek came in and the powerplay never really clicked.

SabreEleven
06-03-2010, 04:05 PM
It's funny because you asked a question, he answered it, but that wasn't good enough.

Next time just rephrase the question as you intended it, "Name the last 50 goal scorer the Sabres signed in free agency."

I think I proved my point, we are arguing whether a defenseman the Sabres signed about 4 years ago was a good signing or not, bottom line, Sabres suck at signing quality free agents and quality free agents don't go to Buffalo, they leave it.

TerrellOwensSharpie8
06-04-2010, 12:46 PM

thank you....great post.

I think Marleau (if we show interest) will have us among the top on his list. I also fully expect Darcy to make a deal with Chicago. A player like Stafford, Butler or Sekera and a mid round pick for 2 roster players on the Hawks. This would free up much needed cap space for Chicago. Pure speculation of course.....

SabreEleven
06-04-2010, 01:48 PM
thank you....great post.

I think Marleau (if we show interest) will have us among the top on his list. I also fully expect Darcy to make a deal with Chicago. A player like Stafford, Butler or Sekera and a mid round pick for 2 roster players on the Hawks. This would free up much needed cap space for Chicago. Pure speculation of course.....

and a pipe dream. The Sabres DO NOT make moves to win, they make moves to save money and occasional make a move to give the illusion that they want to win.

DMBcrew36
06-07-2010, 08:50 AM
and a pipe dream. The Sabres DO NOT make moves to win, they make moves to save money and occasional make a move to give the illusion that they want to win.

As far as I'm concerned - the Sabres have their own set of restraints that they must abide by in order to stay viable, while also building for the long-term.

You sound like you'd rather they sacrifice for the future to blow their load on one season.

You're obviously welcome to your opinion.

RockStar36
06-07-2010, 08:52 AM

Now that you're saying moves and not free agency, I will completely disagree with you. Both Briere and Drury were acquired in trades and I don't think that was to give the illusion that they want to win.

DMBcrew36
06-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Now that you're saying moves and not free agency, I will completely disagree with you. Both Briere and Drury were acquired in trades and I don't think that was to give the illusion that they want to win.

And trades and drafting make far more sense for getting high-quality players than overpaying in free-agency.

SabreEleven
06-07-2010, 09:20 AM

You are right, I used the wrong word. They have made some decent trades in the past but this thread was about signing quality free-agents and the Sabres just don't do that.

SabreEleven
06-07-2010, 09:22 AM
As far as I'm concerned - the Sabres have their own set of restraints that they must abide by in order to stay viable, while also building for the long-term.

You sound like you'd rather they sacrifice for the future to blow their load on one season.

You're obviously welcome to your opinion.

The Sabres sacrificed their own future when they signed Vanek, Roy and Pominville to long expensive(expensive by Sabres standards) contracts. The really sad part is that the Sabres are up against the salary cap and still putting a loser on the ice. At least if they were 10 million away from the cap they would have an excuse.

RockStar36
06-07-2010, 09:39 AM
The Sabres sacrificed their own future when they signed Vanek, Roy and Pominville to long expensive(expensive by Sabres standards) contracts. The really sad part is that the Sabres are up against the salary cap and still putting a loser on the ice. At least if they were 10 million away from the cap they would have an excuse.

I have to give a little :rofl: at that post because when Pominville's contract was about to expire, fans were up in arms that the Sabres had to sign him long term and not let him get away like they did with Drury and Briere. So they did it, and now they're in the wrong...again.

FWIW, they have right around 10 mil in cap space heading into this offseason to make some improvements.

SabreEleven
06-07-2010, 09:45 AM
I have to give a little :rofl: at that post because when Pominville's contract was about to expire, fans were up in arms that the Sabres had to sign him long term and not let him get away like they did with Drury and Briere. So they did it, and now they're in the wrong...again.

FWIW, they have right around 10 mil in cap space heading into this offseason to make some improvements.

I have to agree with you here because Pominville sounded like a good signing at the time and just disappeared since that signing. He was suppose to be "one of the core" and he just sucks because he has to play against time lines.

RockStar36
06-07-2010, 09:47 AM
I have to agree with you here because Pominville sounded like a good signing at the time and just disappeared since that signing. He was suppose to be "one of the core" and he just sucks because he has to play against time lines.

I agree completely, but is that the FO's fault? Hindsight is always 20/20.

SabreEleven
06-07-2010, 09:54 AM
I agree completely, but is that the FO's fault? Hindsight is always 20/20.

that seems to be this organization (and the Bills) motto....Hindsight is 20/20

RockStar36
06-07-2010, 10:16 AM
that seems to be this organization (and the Bills) motto....Hindsight is 20/20

When they let them walk, it's wrong.

When they lock them up, it's wrong.

DMBcrew36
06-07-2010, 10:35 AM

And the Roy signing is still a bargain if he can get his '****' back together.

RockStar36
06-07-2010, 10:39 AM
And the Roy signing is still a bargain if he can get his '****' back together.

I won't dispute that Roy was awful in the playoffs, but he can already be considered a bargain seeing that he has led the team in scoring for the past three seasons.

If anything, he just needs to be more consistent, but that can be said for the large majority of the roster.

SabreEleven
06-07-2010, 02:46 PM
When they let them walk, it's wrong.

When they lock them up, it's wrong.

Exactly.