• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

Habs' Plekanec Best Center Out There?

Buffalo and St Louis are looking for more offense in general and though they seem to have a good group of medium quality centers they could use a top notch first line guy.
    The NHL had a vision for unrestricted free agency. Every July 1st would feature fields of free ranging talent being picked over by a few NHL teams...
  • DMBcrew36
    • Feb 2005

Re: Habs' Plekanec Best Center Out There?

Plekanec has been something of a Sabre killer in past seasons. I've wanted him as a Sabre for a couple seasons now. He's younger than Marleau and has performed without luxury of the supporting cast Marleau has had.

I'd take either center -- but it comes down to how much money is required to get either one of them. Plekanec might be a bit cheaper than Marleau.
    Last edited by DMBcrew36; 06-01-2010, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• User Manuel
      The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
      • Nov 2003

It is my opinion that Sabrwes fans will find Plekanec as a bit of "more of the same." He is a qulaity player, but IMO would not bring anything to the team that they dont already have an abundance of. I would not be upset if we got him, but I wouldn't be flipping cartwheels either.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Lawesome97
        It is my opinion that Sabrwes fans will find Plekanec as a bit of "more of the same." He is a qulaity player, but IMO would not bring anything to the team that they dont already have an abundance of. I would not be upset if we got him, but I wouldn't be flipping cartwheels either.
        I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think some Sabres fans have unreal expectations - by which I mean, some seem to think anything less than a franchise caliber forward is 'more of the same.'

I do agree that to most people, Plekanec probably does not stand out as being some stud scorer. You do not hear his name plastered all over like Marleau's.

But Plekanec does play with an edge that most of our forwards do not have. He is very physical and has a slightly 'dirty' side that allows him to get under opponents skin. He obviously can score. I also think he is much more consistent than most of our forwards on a night-to-night basis - I think he was Montreal's best forward (next to Cammalerri)
        Last edited by DMBcrew36; 06-01-2010, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• User Manuel
          The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
          • Nov 2003

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
          I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think some Sabres fans have unreal expectations - by which I mean, some seem to think anything less than a franchise caliber forward is 'more of the same.'

I do agree that to most people, Plekanec probably does not stand out as being some stud scorer. You do not hear his name plastered all over like Marleau's.

But Plekanec does play with an edge that most of our forwards do not have. He is very physical and has a slightly 'dirty' side that allows him to get under opponents skin. He obviously can score. I also think he is much more consistent than most of our forwards on a night-to-night basis - I think he was Montreal's best forward (next to Cammalerri)
          I'll gove you that. I think i would like it more if they signed him and followed with a complimentary move to bring a bit more toughness on the wing as well. Thomas Kopecky wouldn't be a bad add IMO.

Comment

• tampabay25690
            • Feb 2004

I can see this happening us trading a few of our medium graded players for a big name. Especially when we have good young talent in Portland....

Gerbe, McCormick, and Ennis are looking to stay up.....
            GO Gators!!!!!!
            GO GATORS!!

Comment

• SabreEleven
              • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Lawesome97
              I'll gove you that. I think i would like it more if they signed him and followed with a complimentary move to bring a bit more toughness on the wing as well. Thomas Kopecky wouldn't be a bad add IMO.
              Are you having typing problems?

Comment

• SabreEleven
                • Aug 2002

If you were a NHL Free Agent, why would you sign with the Buffalo Sabres? Unless you were a border line 4th liner.

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by SabreEleven
                  If you were a NHL Free Agent, why would you sign with the Buffalo Sabres? Unless you were a border line 4th liner.
                  when Mike Grier re-signed in May he said

that he will be active in recruiting free agents from around the league to come to Buffalo once the free agency period begins. Current team mate and former friend in San Jose Craig Rivet was helpful in bringing Grier back to Buffalo last off-season, he added.
                  Buffalo’s most trusted news, entertaining talk & comprehensive sports radio station. Stream, read and download WBEN-AM from any device on Audacy
                  Last edited by BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan; 06-01-2010, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• SabreEleven
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
                    when Mike Grier re-signed in May he said

that he will be active in recruiting free agents from around the league to come to Buffalo once the free agency period begins. Current team mate and former friend in San Jose Craig Rivet was helpful in bringing Grier back to Buffalo last off-season, he added.
                    http://www.wben.com/Grier-Deal-A-Mut...eement/7106193
                    Recruiting free agents and signing these free agents are two different things.

Comment

• RockStar36
                      Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                      • Sep 2004

I am starting to hate this attitude that if the Sabres don't trade/sign for Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin, it's just more of the same and the Sabres suck.

Why would a UFA want to sign with Buffalo? They just won their division and have probably the best goalie in the league on their team. That would be two reasons.

D & S Sports

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by RockStar36
                        I am starting to hate this attitude that if the Sabres don't trade/sign for Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin, it's just more of the same and the Sabres suck.

Why would a UFA want to sign with Buffalo? They just won their division and have probably the best goalie in the league on their team. That would be two reasons.
                        Thank you - this is exactly what I was trying to get at. Some people seem to think that it's 'more of the same' unless we get a franchise forward. Well franchise forwards aren't just floating around in abundance, waiting to be signed for modest salaries.

Comment

• SabreEleven
                          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36

Name the last high to medium free agent the Sabres signed and I really don't think Mike Grier counts plus the management treats their players like **** and Ruff takes any offensive ability that they have and crushes that into the ground. You can win all the division titles you want but the Sabres are going to continue to get their ass handed to them in the playoffs.
                          Last edited by SabreEleven; 06-02-2010, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• ddaryl
                            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                            • Jan 2005

we need to get tougher up front IMO while also adding some offensive spark.

So use whatever formula of trades FA and whatever young guys we have in the system to achieve this in the short term....

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl
                              we need to get tougher up front IMO while also adding some offensive spark.
                              Plekanec is only one player (obviously), but he does both of those things.

I think it's a move Regier could support - most importantly, Plekanec is not the most expensive guy out there, but he's a tough, skilled player.
                              Last edited by DMBcrew36; 06-03-2010, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X