PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing Trend

mightysimi
06-03-2010, 09:27 AM
I was bored at work yesterday looking through some ultra early 2011 mock drafts. Roughly 60-75% of them had Buffalo picking first overall. I mean I'm not so naive to think that this will be a great year but, last, come on.

I know a lot of it is regurgitated crap from people stealing each others ideas but most of them went on to say that because we didn't address the Oline and QB we will be terrible. I'm not sure if any of these guys understand that the QB and the Oline are the same as last year when we drafted 9th. How do they figure they will be that much worse this year? Do they think that the 8 teams below us improved that much? Needless to say I swore at my computer a lot yesterday.

Pinkerton Security
06-03-2010, 09:30 AM
ive noticed the same thing...and you're right, we're not going to be good, but I would bet every cent I have on the fact that we will not pick first overall next year.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-03-2010, 09:34 AM
You're right. Call me a pessimist, but I have this major hunch that somehow the Bills will finish worst and still not end up with the number one draft pick. The problem with that is that it would take a trade-away of the first round draft pick for that to happen, and I don't think they're that stupid. Then it hit me: We'll have a lockout next year, and no draft. When 2012 comes around, the pool will be randomized, just like the NHL draft after the lockout in '05-- meaning Buffalo will probably end up back in the middle of the pack.

PromoTheRobot
06-03-2010, 09:55 AM
You people scare easy.

PTR

Historian
06-03-2010, 10:00 AM
I disagree.

I see a top 10 pick, but there's no way we are the worst team in football.

Sorry.

mightysimi
06-03-2010, 10:06 AM
You people scare easy.

PTR

No I'm not saying I believe them, I just think that it is a disturbing trend to pick us last. I don't for one second think that we will be the worst team in football.

Philagape
06-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Nothing mock drafters ever say disturbs me. Mock drafters may be the least scary thing in the world.

PromoTheRobot
06-03-2010, 10:30 AM
No I'm not saying I believe them, I just think that it is a disturbing trend to pick us last. I don't for one second think that we will be the worst team in football.
This may come as a shock but the Bills are picked for last or worst in everything every year. Even when we were a playoff team people always said we sucked. It's just our place in the universe. It happens so often that it has lost any meaning.

PTR

psubills62
06-03-2010, 10:30 AM
You're right. Call me a pessimist, but I have this major hunch that somehow the Bills will finish worst and still not end up with the number one draft pick. The problem with that is that it would take a trade-away of the first round draft pick for that to happen, and I don't think they're that stupid. Then it hit me: We'll have a lockout next year, and no draft. When 2012 comes around, the pool will be randomized, just like the NHL draft after the lockout in '05-- meaning Buffalo will probably end up back in the middle of the pack.

From what I've heard, there will still be a draft next year, lockout or no. I also don't think they will be randomizing the order.

madness
06-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Nothing mock drafters ever say disturbs me. Mock drafters may be the least scary thing in the world.

It's bad when politicians rank above mock drafters on getting things right.

ddaryl
06-03-2010, 10:44 AM
we won't be the worse team in the NFL in 2010... We might not make the playoffs but were not going down in a 1 - 15 ball of flame either

patmoran2006
06-03-2010, 10:47 AM
I disagree.

I see a top 10 pick, but there's no way we are the worst team in football.

Sorry.

Probably not. Plus, teams come out of nowhere each and every season, and games aren't won on paper in June.

Having said that, who do you think is worse than the Bills? After the Rams, I have a hard time making an arguement. Maybe Cleveland too?

Historian
06-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Cleve, Oak, Det, KC, Tampa

JMO.

patmoran2006
06-03-2010, 10:51 AM

JMO.

I definitely dont think Oakland or especially Detroit are worse than Buffalo, on paper.

Of course, it's completely foolish to argue a season that hasn't happened yet.

trapezeus
06-03-2010, 10:52 AM
ii think the bills will draft higher than they did this year. too much new stuff in too little time. we still have bad players on the roster<couch kelsay cough>

BillsWin
06-03-2010, 10:55 AM
I still say we win 6-8 games this year.

BillsWin
06-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Miami at home
Jets at home
Jags at home
Chiefs away
Bears in Canada
Lions at home
Browns at home

are all winnable and any team can steal a game or two here and there.

We'll see what happens. I just don't think we'll finish last.

DraftBoy
06-03-2010, 11:15 AM

JMO.

Detroit, Oakland, and Tampa are all better imo. KC is on par and I think we are above Cleveland.

I think we are picking Top 5 next season and have a very realistic shot at pick 1st Overall.

kelly2reed4six
06-03-2010, 11:17 AM

There's still going to be a draft next year regardless of a lockout or not.

mightysimi
06-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Did the rams all of a sudden become title contenders with a rookie QB? That D is still average at best.

DraftBoy
06-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Did the rams all of a sudden become title contenders with a rookie QB? That D is still average at best.

So is ours...

more cowbell
06-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Detroit, Oakland, and Tampa are all better imo. KC is on par and I think we are above Cleveland.

I think we are picking Top 5 next season and have a very realistic shot at pick 1st Overall.

how are we above cleveland if we can never beat them?

DraftBoy
06-03-2010, 11:50 AM

Yea thats just ****ty luck, I have no doubt we have more talent than them. Beating them is a whole different ball game.

mightysimi
06-03-2010, 11:53 AM
So is ours...

You are not wrong but I still don't see us being last.

mightysimi
06-03-2010, 11:55 AM

Certain teams have other teams number. Plus that was a missed kick and ridiculous fumble that contributed to the last 2.

psubills62
06-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Rams are definitely worse than us this year. They have the potential to be good in a couple years (faster than us), but right now they are worse, especially if Atogwe signs elsewhere. If you look at each of the units (QB, RB, OL, etc.), I'd say we have a slight edge until we get to the secondary, where we blow them out of the water.

Cleveland is worse.

Oakland is slightly better.

Detroit is slightly better.

Tampa, I'd personally say is worse. They're young, but depending on more rookies than we are.

KC is worse.

The thing is, paper battles don't mean a thing. I think we'll end up hovering around a top 5 pick, somewhere in the 3-7 range.

BillsOwnAll
06-03-2010, 02:38 PM
ii think the bills will draft higher than they did this year. too much new stuff in too little time. we still have bad players on the roster<couch kelsay cough>

More new stuff then last year? New OC 1 week before the season starts? At least we have a whole offseason this year.

BertSquirtgum
06-03-2010, 05:40 PM
there's no way we're in the bottom of the barrel. i know the bills won't be good but they won't be terrible. all of you haters can eat a dick.

jamze132
06-04-2010, 12:53 AM

There will be a draft in 2011 regardless of a lockout or strike. And if their is, the 2012 draft order will be identical to 2011.

DraftBoy
06-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Rams are definitely worse than us this year. They have the potential to be good in a couple years (faster than us), but right now they are worse, especially if Atogwe signs elsewhere. If you look at each of the units (QB, RB, OL, etc.), I'd say we have a slight edge until we get to the secondary, where we blow them out of the water.

Cleveland is worse.

Oakland is slightly better.

Detroit is slightly better.

Tampa, I'd personally say is worse. They're young, but depending on more rookies than we are.

KC is worse.

The thing is, paper battles don't mean a thing. I think we'll end up hovering around a top 5 pick, somewhere in the 3-7 range.

Im going to say we are about on par with St. Louis actually. We have some advantages in OL and DB, but they do have the better QB, WR's, DL, imo. Similar teams in similar situations. Its very close though.

psubills62
06-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Im going to say we are about on par with St. Louis actually. We have some advantages in OL and DB, but they do have the better QB, WR's, DL, imo. Similar teams in similar situations. Its very close though.

I wouldn't say that. They easily have the potential to be better at QB with Bradford, but right now I wouldn't say that him and AJ Feeley are better than what we have. With the WR's, they might have a slight edge over us, but Avery isn't nearly as proven as Evans, and the guys behind Avery haven't produced much (even though they've produced more than our depth). As far as the DL goes, it's kind of hard to compare, but I'd say they're pretty close to even.

Personally, I think our advantage with regards to DB is huge. We're pretty stacked at CB (as you've pointed out before, though, their performance will depend on the scheme), and we're better at safety. Significantly better if Atogwe signs elsewhere.

RandolphDuke
06-04-2010, 09:54 AM
...there's no way we are the worst team in football.

Aim high.

DraftBoy
06-04-2010, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't say that. They easily have the potential to be better at QB with Bradford, but right now I wouldn't say that him and AJ Feeley are better than what we have. With the WR's, they might have a slight edge over us, but Avery isn't nearly as proven as Evans, and the guys behind Avery haven't produced much (even though they've produced more than our depth). As far as the DL goes, it's kind of hard to compare, but I'd say they're pretty close to even.

Personally, I think our advantage with regards to DB is huge. We're pretty stacked at CB (as you've pointed out before, though, their performance will depend on the scheme), and we're better at safety. Significantly better if Atogwe signs elsewhere.

But Ill take their OL with Jason Smith, Jason Brown, Roger Allen, Jacob Bell, and Rodger Saffold over ours to be perfectly honest. And Ill take Bradford over anything we have at QB. RB is a push basically since we have Jackson and Lynch v. Steven Jackson who is better than either of our RB's. I agree with you about the WR.

DL is basically a toss up but if Long ever develops then they have something. CB and S I have no doubt we are better at, but we lose or push on almost every offensive position.

psubills62
06-04-2010, 10:58 AM
But Ill take their OL with Jason Smith, Jason Brown, Roger Allen, Jacob Bell, and Rodger Saffold over ours to be perfectly honest. And Ill take Bradford over anything we have at QB. RB is a push basically since we have Jackson and Lynch v. Steven Jackson who is better than either of our RB's. I agree with you about the WR.

DL is basically a toss up but if Long ever develops then they have something. CB and S I have no doubt we are better at, but we lose or push on almost every offensive position.

I'd take Bradford too, but only because I think he's got a great future, not because he'll do well this year. RB is definitely on our side. Jackson is better than anyone we have, but Jackson/Lynch/Spiller is a far better combination than what the Rams have.

I just think that in comparing us to the Rams, so many things are push that the secondary is the final decider, and we win hands down on that.