PDA

View Full Version : QB competition so far

X-Era
06-05-2010, 09:23 PM
So far I see it as a two horse race for the starting job... Its Edwards or Brohm.

Yes, this is based only on the BB.com highlights... so, at this point, all of us know about jack squat abut who's in the lead. But hey, its the off season so why not.

Anyways, out of all the videos from BB.com that Ive watched:

Edwards is on target, is getting the ball out as fast as everyone else, and appears to be making the least amount of negative plays.

Brohm is on target, and is showing the most zip out of all the throwers. He had a few plays where he held onto the ball to long but is making the completions and is hitting open guys.

Fitz seems to be having the worst time so far. He has been holding onto the ball too long, is throwing the most picks, and has the weakest velocity.

Brown gets a pass because hes a late round rookie whop is PS eligible.

Yes, all this comes from the tremendous amounts of scouting you can do from BB.com videos during OTA's with the players in shorts. :up:

homeslice5484
06-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Brohm looked pretty good....wasn't afraid to throw it. The pass to Roscoe was great...between 2 defenders...and his 20 yarder to Stevie was nice too

tampabay25690
06-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Brown I think makes the team and Fitz or Brohm get cut..

YardRat
06-05-2010, 09:47 PM
I will dance when Fitz gets cut.

X-Era
06-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Attitude and crappy play... He's still here why?

sting32
06-05-2010, 11:39 PM
You'll have to post it now!!

BertSquirtgum
06-05-2010, 11:54 PM
i can't get wait to get rid of a fitzy. he seems like such a peice of **** talking about his fellow players behinds their backs, well according to the commissioner. not to mention he was jauron's big idea to bring in a smart ivy league worthless quarterback. just a poor man's doug flutie and that's still overrating him.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
06-06-2010, 06:48 AM
How can you make any kind of evaluation off of the short clips they have? Besides they don't even have pads on. Let's see how well Edwards looks in a preseason game where the QB can actually get hit.

jamze132
06-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Fitzdouchetrick should have left with Jauron.

X-Era
06-06-2010, 08:04 AM
How can you make any kind of evaluation off of the short clips they have?

You cant.

But its the off-season so its almost required that we try.

djjimkelly
06-06-2010, 10:19 AM

and ill throw a party when edwards leaves buffalo

SABURZFAN
06-06-2010, 02:40 PM
i just hope they stay with giving all QBs an equal opportunity for the starting spot.

SABURZFAN
06-06-2010, 02:44 PM
and ill throw a party when edwards leaves buffalo

:chuckle:

you aren't the only Licker who can't wait for Edwards to leave.

X-Era
06-07-2010, 05:50 AM
In Sundays highlights at BB.com, all of the defensive breakups, and INT's came against Fitz. And I don't have the numbers but it seems like thats been the case pretty much everyday this far.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/Bills-Roundup-Sunday-Minicamp-Highlights/74b01c09-0d92-485c-8b4e-69952308e0bb#?id=74b01c09-0d92-485c-8b4e-69952308e0bb

trapezeus
06-07-2010, 08:25 AM
why this ill will to fitzy? he was one of the few players who actually had heart last year. sure he can't throw and is really a backup but he tried when half the team didn't care.

oh, and he has the longest TD pass in bills history.

i don't want him as our starter, and think he'll get cut more for salary reasons, but he was durable to a degree. moreso than edwards. all other things being equal, unless edwards really outplays fitz, edwards should be the one on the chopping blocks. he can't stay healthy.

X-Era
06-10-2010, 05:30 AM
why this ill will to fitzy? he was one of the few players who actually had heart last year. sure he can't throw and is really a backup but he tried when half the team didn't care.

oh, and he has the longest TD pass in bills history.

i don't want him as our starter, and think he'll get cut more for salary reasons, but he was durable to a degree. moreso than edwards. all other things being equal, unless edwards really outplays fitz, edwards should be the one on the chopping blocks. he can't stay healthy.

I look at it as a matter of who can develop. Were not getting a franchise QB from elsewhere this year. That leaves who we have. Then its a matter of whom you can develop into something. Gailey is known for being able to develop QB's.

That's not Fitz. He has zero upside. Can he be a solid backup? sure. But on a team with 3 backups and a rookie, why keep the vet?

BTW, in Wed highlights, guess who threw another INT.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/Bills-Roundup-Injury-Update-Wed-Highlights/e474f367-785d-4b12-ab98-88fcd380a15b

X-Era
06-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Thursdays highlights, yet another INT thrown by...

BillsWin
06-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Brohm nearly throws a pick to McKelvin, but rebounds with a beautifully placed pass to Easley.

Trent had a nice one too.

BROHM VS. EDWARDS CONTINUES!

tat2dmike77
06-10-2010, 08:33 PM
I will dance a jig when this team actually gets a QB

X-Era
06-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Brohm nearly throws a pick to McKelvin, but rebounds with a beautifully placed pass to Easley.

Trent had a nice one too.

BROHM VS. EDWARDS CONTINUES!
Its OTA's and It doesn't matter. I get that.

But, its almost every day that the defensive highlights show a INT thrown by Fitz. Almost every day. And hes ususally the only guy who threw one. Sure, there is pass break-ups. But Im talking about full blown picks.

At what point do we start to wonder if Gailey is noticing?

X-Era
06-10-2010, 08:37 PM
I will dance a jig when this team actually gets a QB

I think its one more year. Just one.

If this year goes without anyone emerging as the franchise guy, the Bills will make fixing this position priority 1.

They can claim that they need to evaluate the guys they have and get away with it for one year, after that, they simply have to have an answer.

BillsWin
06-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Its OTA's and It doesn't matter. I get that.

But, its almost every day that the defensive highlights show a INT thrown by Fitz. Almost every day.

At what point do we start to wonder if Gailey isn't noticing.

I'm on your side X. I thought Fitz has been out of the picture for weeks.

To me, it's Brohm vs. Edwards and to me, Brohm looks more willing to take risks, while Edwards continues the captain checkdown theme.

If Brohm's confidence and accuracy get better he may just win this thing.

I see Fitz getting cut.

Nighthawk
06-10-2010, 08:41 PM

To me, it's Brohm vs. Edwards and to me, Brohm looks more willing to take risks, while Edwards continues the captain checkdown theme.

I see Fitz getting cut.

Man, I hope you're right...

X-Era
06-10-2010, 08:42 PM

I see Fitz getting cut.

I liked Brohm's scramble and throw for a TD to the left side. Im pulling for the kid. I think hes better than many give him credit for.

I'm not totally dismissing an Edwards emergence either. I wonder if he can be re-tooled under Gailey who may put him in a good position to be successful.

tat2dmike77
06-10-2010, 08:46 PM
I think its one more year. Just one.

If this year goes without anyone emerging as the franchise guy, the Bills will make fixing this position priority 1.

They can claim that they need to evaluate the guys they have and get away with it for one year, after that, they simply have to have an answer.

Well it's been what 12, 13 years since this team has had a QB. So i have had plenty of time to practice my jig and it should be perfected by next year so hopefully your right.

BillsWin
06-10-2010, 08:47 PM
I liked Brohm's scramble and throw for a TD to the left side. Im pulling for the kid. I think hes better than many give him credit for.

I'm not totally dismissing an Edwards emergence either. I wonder if he can be re-tooled under Gailey who may put him in a good position to be successful.

I'm hoping for Brohm because I am of the opinion that Edwards is not fixable. I also believe that even when Edwards was playing well, he was just OK. But, then again when he played well, we won. So... :idunno:

tat2dmike77
06-10-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm hoping for Brohm because I am of the opinion that Edwards is not fixable. I also believe that even when Edwards was playing well, he was just OK. But, then again when he played well, we won. So... :idunno:

It's tough to evaluate Edwards because Jauron and CO. had him on a leash and would call the dumbest calls ever (option on 4th and 1 anyone) but i have seen two edwards.

He has been a different QB since his consussion in AZ. To me that is when he became CPT Checkdown. Wanting to get rid of the ball instead of hanging tough in the pocket and willing to take a hit.

Brohm gives the Bills a new breath and well let's be honest he is not a Jauron and Co pick. Yeah he was brought inby Dick but he wasn't tainted by the zombie coach.

Nighthawk
06-10-2010, 08:55 PM
It's tough to evaluate Edwards because Jauron and CO. had him on a leash and would call the dumbest calls ever (option on 4th and 1 anyone) but i have seen two edwards.

He has been a different QB since his consussion in AZ. To me that is when he became CPT Checkdown. Wanting to get rid of the ball instead of hanging tough in the pocket and willing to take a hit.

Brohm gives the Bills a new breath and well let's be honest he is not a Jauron and Co pick. Yeah he was brought inby Dick but he wasn't tainted by the zombie coach.

He wasn't brought in by Dickey, he was signed the day after Dickey was fired. This is even better because he has no Dickey residue on him at all!

BillsWin
06-10-2010, 09:06 PM
He wasn't brought in by Dickey, he was signed the day after Dickey was fired. This is even better because he has no Dickey residue on him at all!

No residual Dick....

Check.

PcA125
06-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Does anyone know anything about Brown? It seems like he is not getting the same amount of reps as everyone else. Is it safe to count him out of this race?

Nighthawk
06-10-2010, 09:12 PM
No residual Dick....

Check.

Ha, ha...

Nighthawk
06-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Does anyone know anything about Brown? It seems like he is not getting the same amount of reps as everyone else. Is it safe to count him out of this race?

I think they'll take it slow with him, but I see him being the #3 QB on the roster. My hope is that Fitz gets cut...the guy just blows.

PcA125
06-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I don't think anyone was ever a big fan of Fitz...

eperkins99
06-10-2010, 09:33 PM
I am hoping Brohm gets the nod this year. I like how he moves around in the pocket and buys time to find the open reciever. As far as the back up goes I think that will be Fitz if Brohm wins the competition. The reason for this is Fitz is the vet backup to help the young qb in his film studies.

BillsWin
06-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Brown is seen as our No. 3 and a developmental prospect. But, even though he is practice squad eligible I think they keep him on the roster as our No. 3 and cut one guy from the likes of Brohm, Edwards and Fitz.

At the end of the day, I think Fitz gets the axe. He is the logical option.

Although, Chris Brown said that he expected a QB to be "traded" before or during camp.

I said in another thread that the only QB with any trade value seems to be Edwards.

Brohm was taken off a practice squad, so obviously his trade value is either extremely low or not even there.

Fitz is a career backup and got to free agency. So his value isn't much if anything.

Edwards has shown flashes, is pretty young and there might be some team out there willing to take a shot at him.

We'll have to see what happens. This whole situation is pretty interesting.

justasportsfan
06-10-2010, 09:45 PM
he's a project who does not need to be thrown to the wolves yet.

PcA125
06-10-2010, 09:49 PM
What I'm afraid of is that Brown will sit all of this year and none of the QBs solidify themselves as a starter. Then the next draft we don't take anyone because we have Brown as a developing player. Maybe i'm just expecting the worst...

Thurmal
06-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Uhh...Fitz is a solid backup. Sorry to break the bad news for the dreamers, but Brohm is getting cut.

tat2dmike77
06-10-2010, 10:30 PM

Thanks for correcting me. For some reason i thought Brohm was one of the last few players Dick brought in.

Michael82
06-11-2010, 12:05 AM

I see Fitz getting cut.
Great post! I totally agree with you and hope you are right. In Brohm I trust! :pray:

billz83
06-11-2010, 12:15 AM
YAAAAA!!! from what im hearing Fitz will finally be cut thas definitely good news! now if Edwards has a bad year or another year full of injuries hopefully hes next..

alohabillsfan
09-22-2011, 06:22 AM
ROFLMAO, BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My how attitudes have changed....

ServoBillieves
09-22-2011, 06:59 AM
I wish I could pos rep every post in this thread, when will that bum Fitzy get cut?!

Dujek
09-22-2011, 07:02 AM
It's funny, except after the game on Sunday there was some douchenugget on WGR550 with Coach Sal saying that the Bills should cut Fitz and start Thigpen.

ParanoidAndroid
09-22-2011, 07:02 AM
Too funny..... from worthless POS to avatar. :rofl:

RoscoeMagic
09-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the bump. Now I know who the idiots are.

TheBrownBear
09-22-2011, 01:09 PM
LOL. Funniest thread ever. Never understood some people's fascination with Brohm. Dude was terrible.

Not sure if anyone remembers back to preseason in '09, but Fitz was already showing some promise in the opener against Tennessee after Edwards was totally ineffective. I remember thinking that I hoped he eventually got a chance if Edwards didn't rebound.

Oaf
09-22-2011, 01:14 PM
X-Era please save your posts from here on out. :chuckle:

SquishDaFish
09-22-2011, 02:35 PM
:roflmao:

justasportsfan
09-22-2011, 02:57 PM
to be fair. Fitz looked like crap during camp last year.

RoscoeMagic
09-22-2011, 03:19 PM
to be fair. Fitz looked like crap during camp last year.

This is why people need to stop over-valuing camp and preseason. He looked pretty good in the games under Perry Fewell in 2009 and I for one thought we'd see the last of Trent.

I hope this thread will teach some people to stop bashing Thigpen every chance they get. Calling him Pigpen before the man ever takes a meaningful snap for the Bills is ludicrous.

kishoph
09-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Ooooops !

ddaryl
09-22-2011, 03:36 PM
I can say before Fitz got the nod last year I was his number 1 unbeliever... I was pulling for Brohm to unseat captain check down and even Levi... I never even considered Fitz an option at that point...

However I can say it only took about 2-3 games for me to start really warming up to Fitz as our QB, by the time we got through most of last season I was fully on the Fitz-wagon....

1 thing I noticed from Fitz early last year when he was promoted to starter was his obvious ability to read a D, and his willingness ot get the ball out quickly.

X-Era
09-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Yep. He's gone from the basement to a guy who might be the answer. Were only two games in but he has yet to lose a game for us.

Gailey picked Edwards over Fitz and ended up being wrong as well.

Amazing how things can change from over a year ago.

ublinkwescore
09-22-2011, 10:30 PM
I sooooo want a number 14 jersey that says "AMISHRIFLE" for the name.

HAMMER
09-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Many fans don't have the patience to let a player develop. There are countless people who have already labeled Spiller a bust. Some players are ready right out of college, most others take a few years to learn the NFL game. If Dareus doesn't put up 12 sacks this year the armchair GM's around here will call him a wasted pick.

X-Era
09-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Many fans don't have the patience to let a player develop. There are countless people who have already labeled Spiller a bust. Some players are ready right out of college, most others take a few years to learn the NFL game. If Dareus doesn't put up 12 sacks this year the armchair GM's around here will call him a wasted pick.He would have to regress a ton for me to think he is a wasted pick. I don't think that's likely at all.

YardRat
09-23-2011, 04:33 PM
:rofl:

Oh well...wasn't the first time I was wrong and it won't be the last.

X-Era
09-23-2011, 04:38 PM
:rofl:

Oh well...wasn't the first time I was wrong and it won't be the last.Exactly. This is the type of situation where I am happy to be wrong.

YardRat
09-23-2011, 04:40 PM
I used to feel the same way about Frank Reich back in the '80's...never saw anything out of him during preseason or camp, and could never understand why he kept making the team.

EricStratton
09-23-2011, 04:48 PM
I used to feel the same way about Frank Reich back in the '80's...never saw anything out of him during preseason or camp, and could never understand why he kept making the team.

Maybe if there was an internet back then you would have seen a 10 second camp clip and could have made a better decision.

EricStratton
09-26-2011, 07:18 AM
Hey Yard, I saw a few ESPN highlights of that bearded kid last night.

He looks pretty solid.