PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Easley

patmoran2006
06-07-2010, 12:10 AM
I been on a little mini-vacation/sports break for the last few days (have to re-boot every now and then). And I'll get it into plenty more later this week, but I have one observation from what I've been able to see (and hear) in regards to OTA.

I think Marcus Easley is going to be a STUD for the Bills. Don't be the least bit surprised to see him beat out James Hardy for the #2 role or at the very least, get on the field often as a #3.

I like him. A LOT

BillsWin
06-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Been saying this since the draft buddy. I've made a few threads of my own about it. I love this kid and think he is going to be a stud for us. I also think in the near future he will be our No. 2.

I like Hardy and all, but I don't know if he's got what it takes. I hope he does. But, you'd think he'd be pulling away from the competition and by all accounts he hasn't been.

I was reading a post on another message board from someone who attended the open practice. They said from catching to route running, Easley seems to be grasping everything better than Hardy.

Of course it is only OTAs and of course you can't read too much into anything Chris Brown, or a message board fan says. BUT, I like what I've been hearing about him.

Draftboy made a good point in the Easley thread I posted though. He said Easley is still raw, and may take a season or two. (Or something to that effect.)

I really like this kid though and would love to see him get playing time this year. I think he's going to be a good one!

buffalobillsfan95
06-07-2010, 12:39 AM
he's a low risk/ high reward kinda player

BillsWin
06-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Here's a good quote on Easley from the 2010 rookie premiere.

Marcus Easley from Connecticut was a really genuine, nice guy. I thanked him at the end and told him he ran great routes and he told me “Well, I had a great quarterback”, so that was like the ultimate compliment.

-Kevin Eger, Assistant Brand Manager for Topps

He threw the balls to the receivers during the premiere and got to talk with a lot of the rookies.

LINK TO FULL ARTICLE (http://www.toppsblog.com/?p=435)

DraftBoy
06-07-2010, 07:12 AM
If you play Easley this early you are running a HUGE risk. Nothing I saw from him in college, suggested he was ready to be a starter in the NFL. He only had one year starting at UConn. Im not saying he for sure can't do it, but its a very very high risk you are running.

Then again, if you go back on this board to when Hardy was drafted, people were saying the exact same things about him.

patmoran2006
06-07-2010, 07:30 AM
I was "meh" on him when we first drafted him. But having seen him up close and personal and a few workouts early on, he sure as hell looks like the real deal.

Of all the players on the roster, except for maybe the QB "battle", he's the one I cant wait to see play with pads on this summer.

Goobylal
06-07-2010, 07:38 AM
I don't see why Easley would be a huge risk. He's got great size (6'3" and 210#) and speed (4.40), he's an excellent blocker, having cut his teeth his first 2 years playing blocking for Donald Brown, and he's got a great attitude and drive to succeed. The only question is getting the plays down, but he's intelligent and can do it. At worst, he shouldn't be a liability, even though I don't expect him to catch a ton of passes.

DraftBoy
06-07-2010, 07:42 AM
I don't see why Easley would be a huge risk. He's got great size (6'3" and 210#) and speed (4.40), he's an excellent blocker, having cut his teeth his first 2 years playing blocking for Donald Brown, and he's got a great attitude and drive to succeed. The only question is getting the plays down, but he's intelligent and can do it. At worst, he shouldn't be a liability, even though I don't expect him to catch a ton of passes.

He really only played consistenly for one year, so saying he played blocking for Brown for 2 years isn't correct.

Just because a guy has size and speed doesnt mean he can play in the NFL. He still has a lot of little things to learn. As I detailed in the other Easley thread.

Can we combine the two?

jamze132
06-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Lets see how his routes and hands look when people start hitting him in a couple months.

mybills
06-07-2010, 08:02 AM
at his size and weight, I think he can handle being hit.

Goobylal
06-07-2010, 08:52 AM
He really only played consistenly for one year, so saying he played blocking for Brown for 2 years isn't correct.

Just because a guy has size and speed doesnt mean he can play in the NFL. He still has a lot of little things to learn. As I detailed in the other Easley thread.

Can we combine the two?
Reports I read are that while he didn't catch many passes in the 2 seasons prior to last year, he was used in running situations and was an excellent blocker. Not a lot of WR's are known for that coming out of college and that should be a feather in Easley's cap. And regarding his senior season, he showed well against some DB's who were drafted higher than he was this past draft (McCourty, taken by the Pats in the 1st, and Murphy, taken by the Rams in the 3rd), which was encouraging to hear.

As for size and speed, I agree they don't ensure anything. But a guy with speed makes it less likely that DB's will try and jam him off the LOS, which is a problem most young WR's have. And his size also further helps in that regard.

And in the other thread you mentioned the route trees. IMHO that's something that can be improved with effort. Easley has a great work ethic and again is intelligent enough to work on his cuts, trees, and get the calls down.

Again, I'm not expecting huge production from him. But I think he can be an asset early-on. None of the other guys impresses me as much as he does with his combination of skills, and they're all learning a new offense.

madness
06-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Easley is definitely talented but still too raw to start. Hardy hasn't even separated himself from Steve Johnson at this point. The 2nd best receiver this season might be TE S. Nelson.

justasportsfan
06-07-2010, 08:57 AM
We'll see how he does when the pads come on. Martin Nance was great at camp until the pads came on.

Italian Stallion
06-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Easley is definitely talented but still too raw to start. Hardy hasn't even separated himself from Steve Johnson at this point. The 2nd best receiver this season might be TE S. Nelson.

Couldn't agree more with this. I think Nelson is primed for a HUGE season no matter who the QB is. Chan's offenses have always been TE friendly and with his speed and hands, I could see him catching 50 passes.

He made Mark Bruner look like a Pro Bowler in Pittsburgh, Randy McMichael in Miami and then Tony Gonzalez in KC....all while moving them around and spreading them out wide as well.

You heard it here first.

RockStar36
06-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Homerism at it's finest.

The guy runs nice routes with no pads in the middle of June and he's going to be a "stud"?

ServoBillieves
06-07-2010, 10:34 AM
We'll see how he does when the pads come on. Martin Nance was great at camp until the pads came on.

Ah Martin Nance... my diamond in the rough that never quite shined enough...

justasportsfan
06-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Homerism at it's finest.

The guy runs nice routes with no pads in the middle of June and he's going to be a "stud"?

I agree. Too many homers around here . I don't think he'll be anything great. I think he'll only be as good as Moulds.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-07-2010, 10:43 AM
What was he drafted, fourth or fifth round? I certainly don't expect him to be an immediate impact, but I think he's got a shot.

BillsWin
06-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Martin Nance FTW!

Oh wait...

DraftBoy
06-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Reports I read are that while he didn't catch many passes in the 2 seasons prior to last year, he was used in running situations and was an excellent blocker. Not a lot of WR's are known for that coming out of college and that should be a feather in Easley's cap. And regarding his senior season, he showed well against some DB's who were drafted higher than he was this past draft (McCourty, taken by the Pats in the 1st, and Murphy, taken by the Rams in the 3rd), which was encouraging to hear.

As for size and speed, I agree they don't ensure anything. But a guy with speed makes it less likely that DB's will try and jam him off the LOS, which is a problem most young WR's have. And his size also further helps in that regard.

And in the other thread you mentioned the route trees. IMHO that's something that can be improved with effort. Easley has a great work ethic and again is intelligent enough to work on his cuts, trees, and get the calls down.

Again, I'm not expecting huge production from him. But I think he can be an asset early-on. None of the other guys impresses me as much as he does with his combination of skills, and they're all learning a new offense.

His game against Murphy was very impressive, but when up against Kendric Burnley (who he has a huge size advantage against) he was completely shut out. He also struggled against Robert Blanton (Notre Dame) and Chris Culliver (South Carolina) as well. I wasnt that high on McCourtey to begin with.

Having speed does not mean you don't get jammed though. If anything players use a jam to help neutralize it. Most speed guys struggle to break the jam, Easley has the size to beat it, but he has to learn the technique. Granted Murphy is a physical style CB who he abused in their matchup.

Leanring the routre tree is his biggest task and will take him the longes to learn. Until he learns that, learns the playbook, knows the timing, and cadences is when you will only start to see him shine a little bit.

TigerJ
06-07-2010, 10:54 AM
The thing about starting Easley is; if he can't cut it you can pull him at any time and start somebody else thereafter. He's only a huge risk if he continues to suck and you leave him in. I'm not necessarily advocating that Easley start, but if he did, I wouldn't be trembling in fear that the Bills' season might be ruined because of it.

acehole
06-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Well that isnt going to be his situation here...

But I am on board..loved the pick when it happened and I hope he keeps it up.

Here's a good quote on Easley from the 2010 rookie premiere.

-Kevin Eger, Assistant Brand Manager for Topps

He threw the balls to the receivers during the premiere and got to talk with a lot of the rookies.

LINK TO FULL ARTICLE (http://www.toppsblog.com/?p=435)

ParanoidAndroid
06-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Easley looks like he has the potential to be one of those coveted double threat WR's. He has the size to go inside as a posession type receiver but has the speed to break deep. If he does, in fact, live up to some of these high expectations people are placing on him, we will have finally hit big on a mid-round pick.

psubills62
06-07-2010, 11:44 AM
I like what I've heard of Easley so far.

I have a feeling that Johnson/Hardy will battle for the #2 spot to start the season. Wouldn't be surprised to see Easley worked in as the season goes on, though, especially if our record becomes as poor as is expected.

I have to imagine that the coaches will ease Easley in by giving him a few routes to perfect this season, then throw him all in next offseason.

Honestly, it seems to me that IF wide receivers are going to develop, they usually do so faster than is expected. If Easley does become a very good WR, I think it will be by the time the 2011 season starts.

trapezeus
06-07-2010, 12:31 PM
I agree. Too many homers around here . I don't think he'll be anything great. I think he'll only be as good as Moulds.

so better than 8 kids and 9 wives?

ZAZusmc03
06-07-2010, 12:33 PM
I don't care who plays opposite of Evans. Get the biggest built receivers we have that are willing to lay down some nasty blocks and leave it up to our running game.

Tatonka
06-07-2010, 06:18 PM
the part that really worries me is that he couldn't crack the starting line up at conneticut.. it wasnt like he had allstars in front of him.. it doesnt mean he cant be successful.. but it is definately troubling.

that said.. when i see him on film, he reminds me a little of chad johnson.. bar the antics.. he is built like him and his style of play reminds me of him.. in the limited amount of plays i ahve seen at least.

Tatonka
06-07-2010, 06:22 PM
and no, im not saying that i think he will be chad johnson.. just saying i can see a resembelence.

i think steve johnson will start.. i think hardy will be an afterthought by the time the season begins.. easly will have to beat out johnson, hardy and roscoe.. that is gonna be tough, but they are all in a new offense so he has a decent chance. i also agree that nelson will have a big year.. it will shock most people.

acehole
06-07-2010, 08:30 PM
He seem more physical then Chad...Chad is a diva...

the part that really worries me is that he couldn't crack the starting line up at conneticut.. it wasnt like he had allstars in front of him.. it doesnt mean he cant be successful.. but it is definately troubling.

that said.. when i see him on film, he reminds me a little of chad johnson.. bar the antics.. he is built like him and his style of play reminds me of him.. in the limited amount of plays i ahve seen at least.

better days
06-07-2010, 10:13 PM
I don't care who plays opposite of Evans. Get the biggest built receivers we have that are willing to lay down some nasty blocks and leave it up to our running game.

Michael Clayton of the Bucs should become availabe before training camp is over. He's your man.

Goobylal
06-07-2010, 10:19 PM
His game against Murphy was very impressive, but when up against Kendric Burnley (who he has a huge size advantage against) he was completely shut out. He also struggled against Robert Blanton (Notre Dame) and Chris Culliver (South Carolina) as well. I wasnt that high on McCourtey to begin with.

Having speed does not mean you don't get jammed though. If anything players use a jam to help neutralize it. Most speed guys struggle to break the jam, Easley has the size to beat it, but he has to learn the technique. Granted Murphy is a physical style CB who he abused in their matchup.

Leanring the routre tree is his biggest task and will take him the longes to learn. Until he learns that, learns the playbook, knows the timing, and cadences is when you will only start to see him shine a little bit.
Fair enough, although I didn't mean to say that speed receivers don't get jammed, just that opposing DB's think twice about it lest they miss and get burnt. But with the above, how does Easley rate as a prospect compared to Hardy and Johnson?

Crisis
06-07-2010, 11:31 PM
didn't you say the same thing about roscoe parrish a few years ago?

Tatonka
06-07-2010, 11:36 PM
you can call chad johnson a diva.. but he doesnt play like one.. he plays his ass off.. he got his head absolutely taken off last year.. and popped right back up.. and that is not the first time that has happened. he does act like a ***** off the field quite a bit.. but the guy plays hard and plays physical.. and that is the comparison that i was making.. not in the off the field stuff..

Goobylal
06-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Another thing to consider is that the Bills plan to run the ball quite a bit this year. IF that's the case, it may come down to who is the better run blocker.

DraftBoy
06-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Fair enough, although I didn't mean to say that speed receivers don't get jammed, just that opposing DB's think twice about it lest they miss and get burnt. But with the above, how does Easley rate as a prospect compared to Hardy and Johnson?

I think he rates ahead of both of them in terms of potential, but behind them both in terms of readiness. We all saw how raw Hardy was his rookie year and Id say Easley is even more raw. I love his ceiling in terms of talent but I dont really want to see much of him on the field this season unless we are running a 5 wide set or he is giving somebody a breather. I dont think he should be starting in any way to be perfectly honest.

Id say you're looking at the following as his development plan;
1st Year: 3rd Team WR, ST player
2nd Year: 2nd Team WR
3rd Year: Starter