PDA

View Full Version : Okay, Here's what I saw at the open practice....

Historian
06-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Quarterbacks: Working 10-15 yard out and crossing patterns, throwing into the wind.

Brohm- Strange mechanics ball comes out nose down on almost every throw. If he's going to seriously compete, they are going to have to work on his mechanics.

Fitzpatrick- Noodle for arm. Mostly accurate, not much zip.

Levi- Very tall. Nice accuracy with some zip on the ball. Could be a player if he improves his footwork.

Edwards- The only one of the bunch that looked like an NFL calibre QB. Very accurate, good zip on the ball, good mechanics. And whenever he did make a mistake, Gailey was right there to demonstrate a correction. (How long has it been since we've seen that?)

Spiller- Very fast, but small for the NFL. It will be interesting to see if he can take a 16 game pounding.

Byrd- Was out there in DB drills, looks fine.

Maybin- Extremely tall. Well build, but looks like a beanpole. Should do well in a 3-4.

Poz- Had a nice ass. (Shelby wanted to know)

Mitchell- Did running drills, but did not put a helmet on.

Lindell- Accurate. Even into the wind.

Moorman- Nailed a 55 yard field goal out of Lindell's hold, with the wind at his back. The guy is an all-around good athlete. Runs like the wind.

mybills
06-07-2010, 08:34 AM
any comments on easley?

RockStar36
06-07-2010, 08:47 AM
I noticed the same thing with Brohm. His delivery was different than the other 3 and almost every pass nosedived lower than it should've been.

Maybe it was me, but it looked like Trent was half-assing it out there for part of the time, at least in comparison to the other 3.

I didn't like Brown at all. They were doing footwork drills and throwing into a net at one point and Brown missed 3 straight passes badly at one point.

I actually thought Fitz looked like the best of the bunch, which isn't saying much.

northernbillfan
06-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the ass update.

Glad to hear Moorman hasn't lost any of his kicking ability over the off season.

Historian
06-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Nosediving.

That's a perfect way to describe his passes.

I have no idea how it happens, but I hope it's correctable.

Bulldog
06-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Spiller- Very fast, but small for the NFL. It will be interesting to see if he can take a 16 game pounding.

Chris Johnson was the same exact size as Spiller coming out of college and seems to be doing OK. Just saying. I know that was one of the knocks on Spiller prior to the draft, but I honestly don't think it will be an issue. Now if he tries to go out there and run people over, it may be a concern. But thats not his game and I think he knows better.

Commissioner
06-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Nosediving.

He's gonna get cut so someone else can try correcting it.

DraftBoy
06-07-2010, 10:44 AM
I noticed the same thing with Brohm. His delivery was different than the other 3 and almost every pass nosedived lower than it should've been.

Maybe it was me, but it looked like Trent was half-assing it out there for part of the time, at least in comparison to the other 3.

I didn't like Brown at all. They were doing footwork drills and throwing into a net at one point and Brown missed 3 straight passes badly at one point.

I actually thought Fitz looked like the best of the bunch, which isn't saying much.

While he is a career 61.0% pct passer consider the system he came from. His passes only avg 7.2 yards per attmept. I dont know how far away the net was from him while throwing but anything voer 10 yards is going to be an adjustment for him early on. Troy runs a lot of short routes out of the spread, hoping to hit a seam or break a tackle for YAC.

RockStar36
06-07-2010, 10:46 AM
While he is a career 61.0% pct passer consider the system he came from. His passes only avg 7.2 yards per attmept. I dont know how far away the net was from him while throwing but anything voer 10 yards is going to be an adjustment for him early on. Troy runs a lot of short routes out of the spread, hoping to hit a seam or break a tackle for YAC.

It was roughly 10 yards. They were doing the footwork drills right at the end zone line and the net was setup at the 10 yard line.

Granted they were moving when throwing the ball, that 3 pass sequence was enough to make me cringe.

better days
06-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Chris Johnson was the same exact size as Spiller coming out of college and seems to be doing OK. Just saying. I know that was one of the knocks on Spiller prior to the draft, but I honestly don't think it will be an issue. Now if he tries to go out there and run people over, it may be a concern. But thats not his game and I think he knows better.

Warrick Dunn was also a small guy that had a very good career, ran inside & didn't get injured much.

JCBills
06-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Everyone I've heard from that was at practice has given completely different reviews on the QBs.

WeAreArthurMoates
06-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Everyone I've heard from that was at practice has given completely different reviews on the QBs.

Hahaha, I feel the same way. It's clear, whoever gives these reviews have there bias.

soapman
06-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Nosediving.

Not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure it's a late release point on the throws. Letting the ball go to late when the arm is on the down swing.

RockStar36
06-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Hahaha, I feel the same way. It's clear, whoever gives these reviews have there bias.

Hard to be biased from watching one practice.

Brown wildly overthrew a net 3 straight times. Brohm has a strange delivery which forced a lot of low passes.

Those are pretty much solid facts at this point.

Michael82
06-07-2010, 11:34 AM

You're the first person I've talked to that felt that Fitzpatrick looked the best of the 3. I personally thought he was the worst, especially in those full team drills. Wasn't he the only one picked off? I thought Byrd intercepted one of his passes.

But I do agree with you on Edwards...he looked like he was half-assing it and didn't really care much.

RockStar36
06-07-2010, 11:37 AM
You're the first person I've talked to that felt that Fitzpatrick looked the best of the 3. I personally thought he was the worst, especially in those full team drills. Wasn't he the only one picked off? I thought Byrd intercepted one of his passes.

But I do agree with you on Edwards...he looked like he was half-assing it and didn't really care much.

I left before the full team drills so you might be right.

JCBills
06-07-2010, 11:37 AM
It seems like Brohm really wants it, he's taking every aspect of these practices very serious from what I've seen/heard. When you look at Trent and Brohm, both have good arm strength, both are accurate, but I think Brohm is more of a gambler, and those big bets can pay off.

Historian
06-07-2010, 11:40 AM

"their"

Let's face it, none of these QBs are going to make any of us forget Jim Kelly. Edwards was the best of the worst IMO.

Interestingly, (and Dr Lecter can confirm this) several guys behind us were heckling Edwards, about everything from showing up late to his hair.

Brutal.

DraftBoy
06-07-2010, 11:42 AM
It was roughly 10 yards. They were doing the footwork drills right at the end zone line and the net was setup at the 10 yard line.

Granted they were moving when throwing the ball, that 3 pass sequence was enough to make me cringe.

If you want to cringe again, its not a good sign for Brown considering alot of his passes came off him moving while at Troy.

DraftBoy
06-07-2010, 12:13 PM
I just wanna say Im deeply disappointment in all of you who attended for failing to give any update on the next Bills superstar known as Joique Bell.

You all fail at life, and I blame Doc for this horrible oversight.

Now how did he look?

hydro
06-07-2010, 12:15 PM
I just wanna say Im deeply disappointment in all of you who attended for failing to give any update on the next Bills superstar known as Joique Bell.

Now how did he look?

Noticed him a lot and he seemed to be going 110% the whole time out there. Very fluid in his movements.

Dr. Lecter
06-07-2010, 12:16 PM

Now how did he look?

I looked just fine. Slim and trim. Slight beard. Had a couple of drinks. Dropped some food, but it is still early in the season.

ZAZusmc03
06-07-2010, 12:21 PM
I looked just fine. Slim and trim. Slight beard. Had a couple of drinks. Dropped some food, but is still early in the season.

I laughed pretty hard at that. Good stuff.

HHURRICANE
06-07-2010, 12:57 PM

I have been saying it since last season that Brohm is going to get cut. I was at the Atlanta game and he was awful. I haven't seen anythiing that tells me that he's somehow a diamond in the rough.

HHURRICANE
06-07-2010, 01:05 PM
It seems like Brohm really wants it, he's taking every aspect of these practices very serious from what I've seen/heard. When you look at Trent and Brohm, both have good arm strength, both are accurate, but I think Brohm is more of a gambler, and those big bets can pay off.

What?

JCBills
06-07-2010, 01:11 PM
I have been saying it since last season that Brohm is going to get cut. I was at the Atlanta game and he was awful. I haven't seen anythiing that tells me that he's somehow a diamond in the rough.

Lol, still clinging to the Atlanta game. Ah yes, 5 weeks on the team, 1 week with the starters, really a fair situation to judge him in.

Dr. Lecter
06-07-2010, 01:15 PM
I rarely do this, but........

I agree with HH. Brohm gets cut. Brown makes it as #3.

Historian
06-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Agreed.

Michael82
06-07-2010, 02:20 PM
I rarely do this, but........

I agree with HH. Brohm gets cut. Brown makes it as #3.

Nope...they'll cut the one that costs the most. See ya, Fitzpatrick!

justasportsfan
06-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Unless Fitz separates himself and is marginally better than Brohm, I agree with this.

X-Era
06-07-2010, 03:45 PM

He is?

I guess were just carrying two into the season. Because Fitz is as good as gone.

madness
06-07-2010, 03:47 PM
There is a 3-man QB competition going on now. Unless Levi gets involved, he'll be going to the PS.

Michael82
06-07-2010, 03:51 PM
There is a 3-man QB competition going on now. Unless Levi gets involved, he'll be going to the PS.
Levi Brown won't last on the PS. He'll be our #3 developmental QB and will see action in the last few games of the season.

DraftBoy
06-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Levi Brown won't last on the PS. He'll be our #3 developmental QB and will see action in the last few games of the season.

How do you know that? He is an extreme developmental QB. Why would anybody pick him up at this point?

You PS Brown and he makes it, he likely sticks around.

SquishDaFish
06-07-2010, 05:35 PM
I think Fitz gets cut

DraftBoy
06-07-2010, 07:05 PM
I think they all get cut and Roscoe is named our new Starting QB!

tampabay25690
06-07-2010, 08:15 PM
I see FITZ getting cut....

BertSquirtgum
06-07-2010, 09:41 PM

as i saw someone post once before. i'll do a dance if fitzpatrick gets cut.

more cowbell
06-07-2010, 09:51 PM
brohm or fitzpatrick is gone. whoever plays worse in pre-season is going to get **** canned

dannyek71
06-08-2010, 09:25 AM
My observations:

Fitzy has a good arm. Probably the best one out of the group.

Extremely hard to tell about QBs. In no pads and working a simple offense, the jury is very much out on every one of them.

Roscoe is starting is usual camp "wows". I expect him to fade.

Maybin is a beanpole. Will do better in the 3-4. Mikey thinks his chest is bigger.

Hardy looks too slow to me. Probably not quick enough to separate from a CB.

No sign of Marshawn, Freddy, Lee, Wood (as expected)

Beebe's Kid
06-08-2010, 10:55 AM
My observations:

That is, literally, the last think I expected to read here.

Well...it was a tie between this and a positive remark from HH Sunshine Bear.

Historian
06-08-2010, 11:20 AM
He was relatively accurate, especially when they were throwing at the net.

I didn't see much zip on the ball though.

Depends what Danny means by "good".

BertSquirtgum
06-08-2010, 11:35 AM
you guys were drunk and seeing double. you thought it was fitzy but it was trent or brohm. fitz is terrible and a douche bag.

JCBills
06-08-2010, 05:12 PM
My observations:

Extremely hard to tell about QBs. In no pads and working a simple offense, the jury is very much out on every one of them.

Roscoe is starting is usual camp "wows". I expect him to fade.

Maybin is a beanpole. Will do better in the 3-4. Mikey thinks his chest is bigger.

Hardy looks too slow to me. Probably not quick enough to separate from a CB.

No sign of Marshawn, Freddy, Lee, Wood (as expected)

Big WRs don't really need to create much separation, hence the "open even when they're covered" phrase. If he can get to a level of NFL physicality, separation will be one of the lesser issues.