PDA

View Full Version : High ankle sprain confirmed for Wang.

Yasgur's Farm
06-07-2010, 10:37 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/07/high-ankle-sprain-is-confirmed-for-ed-wang/

Though the Bills are saying nothing about the injury suffered to rookie offensive lineman Ed Wang (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5914), we're told that an MRI has confirmed the initial diagnosis.

Per a league source, Wang has a high ankle sprain.

justasportsfan
06-07-2010, 10:39 AM
unless it's reported by BB.com, I wouldn't believe anything that comes out of PFT.

madness
06-07-2010, 10:40 AM
:phew:

trapezeus
06-07-2010, 10:40 AM
I saw this on another site.

high ankle sprain for a big guy sounds like a nagging injury. hopefully they just sit him for as long as it takes to heal. rushing him back will have him in and out of injured list. No need for a raw guy not expected to play. heel and learn. heel and learn.

Yasgur's Farm
06-07-2010, 04:07 PM
How is it that relatively good news posts like this get buried... While doom and gloom posts stay at the top for days?

Jaybird
06-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Great news that he doesn't have a tear in his knee... ankle could keep him out a few months tho

Yasgur's Farm
06-07-2010, 05:07 PM
High ankle sprains during season usually sideline a player 2 to 5 weeks... He'll be more than ready for TC.

DraftBoy
06-07-2010, 05:08 PM
How is it that relatively good news posts like this get buried... While doom and gloom posts stay at the top for days?

Doom Gloom=Fun!

Electrici
06-07-2010, 05:18 PM
If it's the actual injury, I'd say that's some really good news.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Setting all my lack-of-an-LT ranting aside... high ankle sprains are notoriously painful and slow to heal. I'd be wise to tack on an extra two weeks to the expected recovery, just to be on the safe side. (I remember back in the late 90s during the Butler era when a bunch of defensive players all got high-ankle sprains at the same time.)

Tatonka
06-07-2010, 06:09 PM
my wife got a pretty severe high ankle sprain playing coed soccer when a guy stomped on her going for a ball. it took about 8 weeks before she was not feeling pain anymore.. but she is not an professional athlete and it was not like she was going to rehab every day.. she was going like once/twice a week. he should be fine in 6 weeks probably. assuming the report is right.

Tatonka
06-07-2010, 06:10 PM
by the way.. she said she thought it was broken it hurt so bad.. i wouldnt call her a wimp either.. i do kind of feel bad for the kid.. he really does have a lot riding on his career with his nationality.. sucks to start off this way after being the first one to sign.

elltrain22
06-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Very good news, IMO. 2 reasons why this is great news. First, its not his knee, and that alone, is a great, great bit of news. The second reason is he'll probably be ready for training camp.

Ebenezer
06-07-2010, 07:14 PM
checks calender again...

June 7.

BillsWin
06-07-2010, 08:22 PM
I still blame HH...

ServoBillieves
06-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Called it when everyone else was freaking out. Nothing too severe. I mean... severe, but nothing that's going to sit him out for a year.

DraftBoy
06-07-2010, 08:53 PM
my wife got a pretty severe high ankle sprain playing coed soccer when a guy stomped on her going for a ball. it took about 8 weeks before she was not feeling pain anymore.. but she is not an professional athlete and it was not like she was going to rehab every day.. she was going like once/twice a week. he should be fine in 6 weeks probably. assuming the report is right.

Good point, but keep in mind Wang is also 300+ pounds. That's a ton of weight to put on a bad ankle athlete or not.

Tatonka
06-07-2010, 11:40 PM
it is a ton of weight.. but the guy has everything available to get healthy.. it isnt even comparable.

BertSquirtgum
06-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Doom Gloom=Fun!
constant doom and gloom is ****ing bull****. it's not december 21st 2012

ddaryl
06-08-2010, 08:08 AM
well knowing he wasn't going to start this year he should have time to heal

Although he will end up missing most training camp and preseason reps

jamze132
06-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Ankle sprain is probably the best news they could have got.

yomommabilly
06-08-2010, 08:23 PM
High ankle sprains during season usually sideline a player 2 to 5 weeks... He'll be more than ready for TC.

Bull crap 2 to 5 weeks. Thats if a team rushes the player back. To fully get over a high ankle sprain you are looking at 6 to 8 weeks min.. You rarely see that time given in the NFL during the season as the teams always push the player to get back. Thats why you always see the guys with high ankle sprains hobbling around or literally, getting shot up for every game then paying the price of not being able to practice all week.

For you that do not know exactly what a high ankle sprain is. There are muscles/tendons in between both lower bones in your leg that attach the knee and ankle, they literally " hang " in between the bones. When you get a high ankle sprain those muscles and tendons literally drop down to the ankle. It takes time to get the thing healed properly and if they are going to have to use this kid this year, which they probably will, he is not be going to be a full go until the end of July, which is good for training camp IF he has self discipline to keep the rest of his body in good shape as there is no way he can run on the thing for 3 to 4 weeks. If he is prior to that time, they are pushing him and he may just miss half of training camp if its not healed properly.

Sometimes I have heard its almost better breaking one of the bones in the leg instead of getting a bad high ankle sprain, the bone would heal faster and not have to be rehabbed as much as the high ankle sprain.

yomommabilly
06-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Ankle sprain is probably the best news they could have got.

Not for an Olineman that carries a lot of weight.

madness
06-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Good news on Wang (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/06/09/good-news-on-wang/)

By Chris Brown - Posted June 9, 2010 – 1:02 pm
When he was first injured the Bills thought the worst, but it appears the injury suffered by rookie OT Ed Wang is not as bad as first feared.
“His injury was not as serious as we first thought,” said head coach Chan Gailey after practice Wednesday. “It looks like he could be back by the last minicamp.”
Buffalo’s last minicamp is their mandatory one, which runs June 23rd to the 25th. That would put Wang just two weeks away, when it was initially feared that he might be lost for the season after suffering the undisclosed left leg injury last weekend.

better days
06-09-2010, 01:23 PM

What type of leg injury in your opinion would be better than a high ankle sprain?

madness
06-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Wang may be back in 2 weeks (http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2010/06/wang-may-be-back-in-2-weeks.html)

Bills rookie offensive tackle Ed Wang strolled out of the trainers room briefly during the middle of Wednesday's practice in the team's fieldhouse. Bills coach Chan Gailey confirmed that the injury Wang suffered in Saturday's practice was not serious. Gailey didn't specify the injury, but it was a sprain to the ankle area.

"His injury was not as serious as maybe we had first thought, and it looks like he’s got a chance to be back by the last minicamp," Gailey said after practice. "It’s a relief for us as coaches."

With Wang out, Nick Hennessey has worked with the second string at left tackle. Hennessey, a Colgate product, spent the first 15 weeks last season on the practice squad and appeared in the season finale against the Colts. With Demetrius Bell sitting out due to his knee injury from last season, Jamon Meredith is working with the first team at left tackle.

---Mark Gaughan

Yasgur's Farm
06-09-2010, 03:01 PM
1) TC begins on 7/29... About 8 weeks from occurance of injury.

2) Wang could be healthy enough to return for the last OTA... 2 weeks. http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/06/09/good-news-on-wang/

3) Maybe you should read more carefully... See quotes below... Especially the red.

Originally Posted by draz54

Bull crap 2 to 5 weeks. Thats if a team rushes the player back. To fully get over a high ankle sprain you are looking at 6 to 8 weeks min.. You rarely see that time given in the NFL during the season as the teams always push the player to get back. Thats why you always see the guys with high ankle sprains hobbling around or literally, getting shot up for every game then paying the price of not being able to practice all week.

For you that do not know exactly what a high ankle sprain is. There are muscles/tendons in between both lower bones in your leg that attach the knee and ankle, they literally " hang " in between the bones. When you get a high ankle sprain those muscles and tendons literally drop down to the ankle. It takes time to get the thing healed properly and if they are going to have to use this kid this year, which they probably will, he is not be going to be a full go until the end of July, which is good for training camp IF he has self discipline to keep the rest of his body in good shape as there is no way he can run on the thing for 3 to 4 weeks. If he is prior to that time, they are pushing him and he may just miss half of training camp if its not healed properly.

Sometimes I have heard its almost better breaking one of the bones in the leg instead of getting a bad high ankle sprain, the bone would heal faster and not have to be rehabbed as much as the high ankle sprain.

yomommabilly
06-09-2010, 05:04 PM
If he is back in two weeks he did not sustain a high ankle sprain folks. Also read my reason why they come back so fast DURING THE SEASON. Think what you want but no high ankle sprain heels in a three week period, none, zippo.

Yasgur's Farm
06-09-2010, 05:37 PM
What don't you understand about what we both said in red? We both gave the same "in-season" timetable... Yet you wanna call "bull crap" on me and argue it. That's just arguing with yourself Timmy!

jamze132
06-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Well what could have been a better outcome for a guy who was carted off the field?

Johnny Bugmenot
06-10-2010, 01:36 PM
What type of leg injury in your opinion would be better than a high ankle sprain?
If I may answer... a stubbed toe. A bee sting (for one who's not allergic). A mosquito bite. Foot fell asleep. A minor bruise. Need I go on???

ALL D
06-11-2010, 09:54 PM
I sprained my ankle tripping over my wang last week...