PDA

View Full Version : Why can't this team go 8-8

tampabay25690
06-08-2010, 12:38 PM
I have a simple question why can't this team beat all expectations of the media???
They have us at the bottom of the NFL and even have OAKLAND with a better record....

Their is a new boss in town and I think most of us are happy the way Chan has ran things so far....The players seem to have a new attitude and it really shows what they thought of the old coaching staff.......

Yea we all know the QB is the big mystery but can this COACH actually work with Trent Edwards or Brian Brohm????

Who is going to be the Left Tackle??
We have a young Offensive line and will only get better with time...

I really think the defense will be better then most think...
We have 1 of the BEST secondaries in the NFL and we have a defensive coordinator that may actually blitz.......WOW we haven't seen that in a long time......

Maybe it's me and being a HOMER but I think this team can win at least 7-8 games this year.......Or maybe I need to lay off the pipe.....

Can't wait till MIAMI has to come to B-LO opening weekend and the BILLS are
1-0!!!!!!!!!!!

OpIv37
06-08-2010, 12:49 PM
You just had to open Pandora's Box.

1. New D. We do not have the personnel for the 3-4, and our 4-3 players will have a huge learning curve. In particular, the NT situation is bad. While we do have a very good secondary, it's not going to matter much with the lack of pass rush created by our DL and OLB's.

2. No QB. Trent is shell-shocked. Fitz and Brohm- meh. Brown isn't ready and probably will be a journeyman back-up anyway.

3. No WR's. Even if Gailey gets some better play out of the QB, who is he going to throw the ball to?

4. No OL- Green is a stopgap at best. We have a cluster**** of mediocrity at LT. Wood is coming off an injury and is still learning. Levitre is still learning. Hangartner is below average and gets swallowed by NT's.

5. New offensive system- on top of lacking talent, all the players have to learn yet another new system. This will hold the team back.

6. Tough division. Every team in our division was better than us last year, and every team improved more than we did. I wouldn't be surprised to see another goose egg in the division. We'll be lucky to get 2 wins out of the 6 games.

Forward_Lateral
06-08-2010, 12:52 PM
I said it in another thread, so I'll say it again. I could see this team winning 2-3 games, but I could also see them winning 7-9. It all depends on how well the line can run block. We know the pass attack will be marginal, at best, but the running attack should be one of the better ones in the AFC. If they can run the ball on a consistent, effective basis, and the D can keep it close, who knows what can happen.

That being said, I'm not holding my breath, and don't expect much more than a handful of wins.

ddaryl
06-08-2010, 12:56 PM
will know what to expect right around the 3rd preseason game...

until then its all blind speculation...

Mr. Pink
06-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Let's see...

We were a bad football team before that did little to address the holes that we had last year. We're changing scheme completely. We don't have an NFL caliber QB. We don't have an NFL caliber LT to protect our bum QB's blind side. We're small on the DLine.

Yeah, I can see that getting us to 8-8....if we played a bunch of college teams.

mayotm
06-08-2010, 01:02 PM
By the end of the season, I think this team will be playing better football than last year's team. I'm just not certain it's going to translate into more wins.

psubills62
06-08-2010, 01:03 PM
I think this team could win around 5-6 games, but that's probably the limit.

In my opinion, the main thing holding us back is the defense. Honestly, as bad as our run defense was last year, our D was the reason we were in (and won) several games. Most notably the Jets game.

It's pretty obvious to me that our offense will be a good deal better. No, we didn't get an LT, and no, we didn't get a QB. But if you look at what Gailey has been able to do with marginal talent and consider that hey, this is the same group of QB's we had last year (6 win team), and think about how many OT's we went through last year, if we can manage to avoid too many injuries then this offense should be better.

I think our run O will be better, provided Wood can return as a starter. Our passing O will get better with Gailey calling the shots. Our run D will probably be the same or slightly better (could they really get worse?), and our pass D will be about the same or slightly worse, depending on how well we can rush the passer.

Personally, I'm liking our defense in the future, though not so much this year. They drafted a bunch of guys who are good against the run (which is the main weakness of the 3-4) with upside against the pass.

I like where the team is going and I think they'll be better than most expect, but it's still a rebuilding year.

starrymessenger
06-08-2010, 01:16 PM
By the end of the season, I think this team will be playing better football than last year's team. I'm just not certain it's going to translate into more wins.

I think thats about right. Nix and Gailey will benefit from a bit of a holiday given that they have taken over a somewhat dysfunctional team and are migrating to a new defensive scheme. Still the fans have a right to at least one reasonable expectation, specifically noticeable improvement so that by the back end of the schedule it is clear that the new guys have us on the right road.

Pinkerton Security
06-08-2010, 01:35 PM
i think its possible, but that would be the absolute most we could win, like if we had zero injuries and one of our QBs actually plays very well and Maybin steps up and has 10 sacks and our D translates and Spiller makes a big impact and both Lynch and Jackson run well and our Line doesnt get said QB killed..just a lot of IFS that have to happen. Anyone who says its impossible is wrong, its just extremely unlikely all these pieces fall into place.

BlackMetalNinja
06-08-2010, 01:37 PM
because they aren't good enough... it really is just that simple. I'm not going to sit here and rehash the same dozens of reasons, you know them as well as I do. It's fine to be optimistic, but some people seem to border on delusional around here.

acehole
06-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the post. I am very hopeful and always expect this team to do well call me an optimist with a case of realism. I am not as concerned with the LT position as much as I was in the past...as this zone blocking is a different kind of scheme. LT isnt really on an island anymore and gets lots more help from the guard and TE and backs. They are covering an area vs a man. Denver had the kind of blocking and there linemen where mostly undersized late round picks who had many 1000 yard rushers. There LT was a converted TE. I think that we have a system and skill players on paper who can make some noise. L Evans and the winner of Hardy,Easly,Johnson or all three at #2WR in different looks.... Shawn Nelsen and that FA TE we picked up is doing well as he knows this system under gaily. Roscoe in the slot can be dangerous if use properly as they do Welker. We are stacked at RB and I think we will run , run and run some more...I think we spread the offense out more on passing plays.... Rushing us will be a little harder with spiller on 3rd downs as you can spread him wide for a quick screen or draw. Although I was right about Trent....I for one will give Trent a pass as I did the last guy as we are learning more about the coaching situation and we didn't really have many skill players and our line was in "transition" to use a nice word. However I don't think Trent is a football player and he has to trust his WR more...in this scheme he just has to hand off on first and second maybe hit one of many targets on third. I would not build a franchise around him but even he can do that. It is our division I am worried about. The Jets NE and Miami are all better teams personnel wise although NE need to rebuild soon and are in process... I am also worried about the switch to the 3-4 and so many young guys mixing in. I love our secondary and other personnel but that is how assignments get blown and yards are made. I think we will do better then most experts think...but we are 1-2-3 years away from making any noise in a playoff situation. 7-9- 8-8 9-7 who knows....this team always seem to do the opposite of what people think. We may have to take some points on special teams and on defense to win some games but who cares ...

We shall see.

I have a simple question why can't this team beat all expectations of the media???
They have us at the bottom of the NFL and even have OAKLAND with a better record....

Their is a new boss in town and I think most of us are happy the way Chan has ran things so far....The players seem to have a new attitude and it really shows what they thought of the old coaching staff.......

Yea we all know the QB is the big mystery but can this COACH actually work with Trent Edwards or Brian Brohm????

We have 1 of the BEST secondaries in the NFL and we have a defensive coordinator that may actually blitz.......WOW we haven't seen that in a long time......

Maybe it's me and being a HOMER but I think this team can win at least 7-8 games this year.......Or maybe I need to lay off the pipe.....

1-0!!!!!!!!!!!

DraftBoy
06-08-2010, 01:50 PM
We dont have the talent.

tampabay25690
06-08-2010, 02:13 PM
I agree with alot you guys say............
Im just sick of listening to the media all day say the Bills pretty much suck.......
I just want to win again!!!!!!!!!!

OpIv37
06-08-2010, 02:26 PM
i think its possible, but that would be the absolute most we could win, like if we had zero injuries and one of our QBs actually plays very well and Maybin steps up and has 10 sacks and our D translates and Spiller makes a big impact and both Lynch and Jackson run well and our Line doesnt get said QB killed..just a lot of IFS that have to happen. Anyone who says its impossible is wrong, its just extremely unlikely all these pieces fall into place.

I say this same thing pretty much every off-season.

First, there are no guarantees in sports, positive or negative. There is always a chance, which is why they play the games. But the chances of the Bills winning the SB or even making the playoffs are about as close to zero as they can possibly get.

Second, as you said, in order for the Bills to do well, about 20 "ifs" have to work out in Buffalo's favor. Chances are that some of those "ifs" WILL work out in Buffalo's favor, but chances are not enough of them will to salvage this season.

OpIv37
06-08-2010, 02:28 PM
I agree with alot you guys say............
Im just sick of listening to the media all day say the Bills pretty much suck.......
I just want to win again!!!!!!!!!!

I get sick of hearing it too, but we need to blame the owner and the FO for the way they've run this organization. It's not the media's fault that we suck. With the exception of a few haters, we'll get their respect when we earn it.

Typ0
06-08-2010, 02:53 PM
The difference between 2 - 14 and 8 -8 in the NFL is easily getting off to a good start, some luck and some heart. Our defense was pretty decent the last couple years though and if they weren't on the field too much the results probably would have looked better. I just don't think your measuring stick about the defense is very good.

1-0!!!!!!!!!!!

dannyek71
06-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Why can't this team to 8-8? Because we suck.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Most of these have been mentioned already, but here's the ones I came up with:

1. This team has been prone to too many injuries. If Wang's injury is an omen, that problem hasn't changed.

2. We're trying to plug the LT position with players who would struggle to make the UFL, much less the NFL. Unless you're playing an offense where the QB lines up at LT, sweeps around and takes the handoff from the halfback every time he wants to pass, that's going to be a major hole in the side of your offense and will disrupt anything you try to do in the passing game.

3. The change of defense-- the defense, already struggling against the run, switches to a 3-4 scheme that is arguably worse against the run than the 4-3.

4. This team hasn't been to the playoffs since the 1999 season and only once, with Drew Bledsoe at QB, has it been over .500 in that time-- why should we believe they can do it now? They're in the same division as New England (a perennial league powerhouse), New York Jets (a team that is on its way up), and Miami (who you can never predict where they're going).

5. No impact players. The best hope for this team is a rookie running back, who the head coach of his own team already knows how to beat. Terrell Owens is gone, and even he disappointed. What makes you think a rookie is going to be any improvement?

There's just a few...

billz83
06-08-2010, 03:57 PM
considering we ignored all of our needs in the offseason..we are going with the same GARBAGE QBz we have had for the last couple years, never got a LT OR upgraded this PATHETIC OLINE, never got any WRz(doesnt matter captain checkdown wont use the WRz anyway), switched to a 3-4 and ignored the NT position..and thru all this we never even signed any talented football players besides i guess davis..wilson is still that same CHEAP asss owner..unwilling to spend money to bring in talent.

Syderick
06-08-2010, 04:31 PM
If Dick Jauron can get 7-9, Gailey is capable of getting 8-8.

justasportsfan
06-08-2010, 04:34 PM
no 8-8 because we're going 16-0

tampabay25690
06-08-2010, 04:47 PM
If Dick Jauron can get 7-9, Gailey is capable of getting 8-8.

This is pretty much my exact point........

WHY NOT......
**** Miami went to playoffs a few years a go after winning 3 games

acehole
06-08-2010, 06:47 PM
I think the FO is doing things a little differently. We will not blow any wads on FA yet because we are looking at last years young guys and this years young guys...seeing if any pan out. If not they will probably go with some up and comming guys journeymen next year and fill in some depth....and spend money on guys they think are last pieces in year 2 and 3 of the rebuilding process. I am very hopful as I loved this draft and what I see as thier plan. I dont want them to do that great anyway...next year....I want good draft position for next year....then you have somthing to build on for year 3..that is when you spend the money. The two guys before were trying to win now and they did it at a cost the teams future...we are now taking a ground up approch...that is the way it is to work....drop a young QB in a team and system that has personel in place...a line weapons...skill players...that is how a young QB can make it...IE SD and Baltimore....Jets. Build a defense from Secondary in to the LB's then in to DL. DL are rotated and have less assignments then do LB and Secondary...as those positions take longer to learn and perfect...that looks to be what they have done/are doing.I am hopful for first time in a long time.

I get sick of hearing it too, but we need to blame the owner and the FO for the way they've run this organization. It's not the media's fault that we suck. With the exception of a few haters, we'll get their respect when we earn it.

BillsWin
06-08-2010, 07:15 PM
5-8 wins.

If Jauron can win 7 games with this rag tag QB group, then Chan can win 8. Even with the scheme changes I think 5-8 wins are possible.

In Byrd, Poz, Wood, Levitre, Nelson, Jackson, Spiller, Evans, McKelvin, McGee, Florence, Williams, (Dwan) Edwards, Stroud, Moorman, Lindell and Davis I trust. Sort of...