PDA

View Full Version : Which Bills players do fans overrate and underrate?

Dr. Lecter
06-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Overrated:

Brian Brohm - not the answer. Very well might not make the team.

Jamon Meredith - Has talent, but not ready yet. Should be a depth guy at this point.

Fred Jackson - Yes, I said it. He is a nice back. A decent back and great story. But amongst NFL starters he is just above average.

Dwan Edwards - a solid DE in Baltimore, but he had guys like Ngata and Lewis and Reed on the defense with him. He was a good pick-up to be a stop gap guy.

Andra Davis - OK LB. Nothing great. He too was a good pick-up to be a stop gap guy

Underrated :

Donte Whitner - Was he worth the #8 pick? Nope. Is he still a solid safety and good player. Sure. He does not need to be run out of town though.

Aaron Schobel - He might not be able to play OLB. No doubt. But he was a very solid DE. His numbers are proof. His reputation for garbage sacks only is overblown.

George Wilson - He has turned into a very solid safety. I wish he had played there his entire career and he might be a top level guy.

Poz- Injury prone for sure, but the defense is much better with him in there. I think he will flourish at ILB in the 3-4.

Hangartner - Somehow this team had the 8th best yards per carry in the NFL last year. We know the blocking did not come from the tackle positions. We also know the guards were both rookies, and then RG was a swinging gate of FAs. And it is not like the defenses facing the Bills feared the passing game. So he did something right

psubills62
06-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Well, it always depends on which poster you're talking about, but in general I would agree with those.

BlackMetalNinja
06-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I'd agree mostly, except for Poz... Most people I hear make him sound like he's a top flight LB and the best defensive player on the team.

I think he's slightly above average and looks better due to a lack of talent around him. He has not made gamebreaking plays on a regular basis so far in his tenure and I don't really see that ability in him.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Overrated:
Brian Morman

Underrated:
Brian Scott

DraftBoy
06-08-2010, 01:42 PM
I only disagree about Whitner and Poz. Whitner imo is easily replacable, Poz is a middle of the road LB who is slightly better than Davis. Replacable as well, not as easily as Whitner is though.

Ickybaluky
06-08-2010, 01:55 PM
I think McGee is underrated by Bills fans. Part of that is his struggling with injury, but when healthy he is a very good CB, IMO. Even though he isn't very big, he isn't afraid to stick his nose in and tackle.

Philagape
06-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Underrated: Ryan Fitzpatrick

He'll never be more than a backup, but last year he stabilized the position, and most importantly the team did better with him in there. Going .500 on that team is quite the feat.
Some have automatically counted him out of the derby, but he outperformed Edwards and is more proven than Brohm, so he's the incumbent until beaten out, which is no given.

Philagape
06-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Overrated: Kyle Williams

I love the guy's motor and he can make occasional plays shooting the gap, but he just gets swallowed against the run. He's a big reason why this team was dead last against the run for most of the year. If a decent lineman locks onto him, it's a mismatch.

Pinkerton Security
06-08-2010, 01:59 PM

He'll never be more than a backup, but last year he stabilized the position, and most importantly the team did better with him in there. Going .500 on that team is quite the feat.
Some have automatically counted him out of the derby, but he outperformed Edwards and is more proven than Brohm, so he's the incumbent until beaten out, which is no given.

Id rather start Fitz than Trentative.

tampabay25690
06-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Overrated:::: I might get shot for this but JARIUS BRYD......Yes the guy made a ton of picks last year but is he that good???? In the right place at the right time...

UNDERRATED: KYLE WILLIAMS the guy gives 150%% every play.....I think he will do a good job in the 3-4 at DT with TROUP coming in as well....

BlackMetalNinja
06-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Overrated:::: I might get shot for this but JARIUS BRYD......Yes the guy made a ton of picks last year but is he that good???? In the right place at the right time...

UNDERRATED: KYLE WILLIAMS the guy gives 150%% every play.....I think he will do a good job in the 3-4 at DT with TROUP coming in as well....Being in the right place at the right time is a result of being good... and the reason why most of the rest of the defense never makes big gamebreaking plays... they aren't that good and therefore are never in the right place at the right time.

Byrd may be overrated in the long run, but right now it's too early to say that. He's had one season, and it was a great one.

TacklingDummy
06-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Overrated: Lynch, Poz, Schobel, Whitner, Stroud, McFumbles, Evans

Underrated: None.

OpIv37
06-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Overrated:
Whitner- people insist on defending this guy and calling him a "hard hitter" despite the fact that he's proven nothing in the NFL and has had exactly ONE hard hit in his entire career. Plus, he runs his mouth and can't back it up.

Kyle Williams- the guy has exceeded expectations and he works hard, so he is a fan favorite. And I think he's an asset to the team, or at least he was in the C2 D. But he simply doesn't have that natural talent.

Brian Brohm- people just want hope at the QB spot so they don't see that this guy has proven nothing.

Hangartner- the guy is mediocre at best. He was nothing more than a backup in Carolina and one of the reasons why our O sucks is because he got manhandled by 3-4 NT's.

Parrish- the guy's fast. He's also stupid and makes ridiculous rookie mistakes despite being a 5 year vet.

Stroud- I like the guy but he was absolutely brutal last season. I think he's hit the wall.

Poz- he's serviceable but gets hurt too often and never lived up to the college hype.

Underrated:
Florence- the guy quietly had a great season filling in for McKelvin last year.

Brian Scott- he did well at both S and LB, despite being undersized for LB.

Ron Burgundy
06-08-2010, 02:58 PM
I don't think anybody truly rates Brohm. All that bull**** earlier this year was just the sound of the sheep bleating because we suck so bad. Anybody that's still on that bandwagon is just a lost cause, and a failure in the field of "life."

And of course, this question is not about talent, but about perception.

Overrated: Jairus is a good call, TB...and it's solely because a lot of people are ready to crown this guy an all-pro, when he's got one good season under his belt. He could go from overrated to excellent pretty quickly, though.

Underrated: Lee Evans. If the guy would have played just about anywhere else, he'd be a household name. Bills fans take him for granted, I think, because he's undersized and his production isn't where you'd like it. But Sweet Lee 83's a baller.

mayotm
06-08-2010, 02:58 PM
I know he's not a player, but Chan Gailey may be underrated. He has been relatively successful throughout his career. Many of us were disappointed that the Bills didn't land a bigger name. However, I think we'll discover that Gailey will be far more competent than the last several head coaches.

User Manuel
06-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Overrated:

Poz. - Good Player, hardly great, I hope I am proven wrong.

Fred Jackson - Nice Player, not tremendous

Underrated

Leodis McKelvin - Fans will remember how good he is this year.

User Manuel
06-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Ryan Fitzpatrick should = not rated (he simply isn't good enough to be either)

Dr. Lecter
06-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Hangartner- the guy is mediocre at best. He was nothing more than a backup in Carolina and one of the reasons why our O sucks is because he got manhandled by 3-4 NT's.

How did the run offense do so well if he sucked and so did the OTs and QBs and FBs?

Dr. Lecter
06-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Overrated:
Whitner- people insist on defending this guy and calling him a "hard hitter" despite the fact that he's proven nothing in the NFL and has had exactly ONE hard hit in his entire career. Plus, he runs his mouth and can't back it up.

And I almost forgot this - not many people are fans of his. But he is not horrible and is not worse than Raion Hill or anything.

OpIv37
06-08-2010, 03:11 PM
How did the run offense do so well if he sucked and so did the OTs and QBs and FBs?

our run O did well? We had good YPC but lacked in yards per game and TD's. You're picking one stat to define "well."

OpIv37
06-08-2010, 03:13 PM
And I almost forgot this - not many people are fans of his. But he is not horrible and is not worse than Raion Hill or anything.

the number of Donte defenders has gone way down, which means more people see the light. But start a thread bashing him and the Whitner Anti-Defamation League will still come after you and defend everything he does, from getting tasered in a night club to promising playoffs to tackling a dude 9 yards into the endzone to getting knocked out of the game attempting to tackle a big back.

Dr. Lecter
06-08-2010, 03:14 PM
the number of Donte defenders has gone way down, which means more people see the light. But start a thread bashing him and the Whitner Anti-Defamation League will still come after you and defend everything he does, from getting tasered in a night club to promising playoffs to tackling a dude 9 yards into the endzone to getting knocked out of the game attempting to tackle a big back.

But then you will come in and ask he receive the death penalty for breaking wind during a team meeting, so it all evens out.

Dr. Lecter
06-08-2010, 03:18 PM
our run O did well? We had good YPC but lacked in yards per game and TD's. You're picking one stat to define "well."

Yards per game is easy - they got behind and had the throw the ball. yet they were still 16th so they were average. Not well, but certainly not poor either.

As for TDs that was way low. But I think coaching an play calling has a ton to do with that.

Night Train
06-08-2010, 04:00 PM
How can anyone on a 1-3 win team, like many of these posters have predicted, be LOADED with overrated players ? :rofl:

tampabay25690
06-08-2010, 04:28 PM

UNDERRATED: KYLE WILLIAMS the guy gives 150%% every play.....I think he will do a good job in the 3-4 at DT with TROUP coming in as well....

Like it or not thats the way I see it...
He may be good but we will see this year......
I never go on 1 year wonders.....

Ginger Vitis
06-08-2010, 08:13 PM
OVERRATED...Steve Johnson

UNDERRATED... Spencer Johnson

Nighthawk
06-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Brohm is not overrated...nobody knows if he can play or not, so he is neither. Most fans would like some hope and he has still not been given the opportunity to show if he can play or if he will suck. We already know that Fitz sucks balls and that Trent plays like a little girl afraid of his own shadow.

Crisis
06-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Florence is the most underrated, he played great last year and is almost never talked about here.

Bravo82
06-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Overrated= Stevie Johnson

Underrated= Drayton Florence

sdbillsfan2
06-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Overrated= Stevie Johnson

Underrated= Drayton Florence

I have to agree .. How can Johnson even be rated if he hasn't done anything yet?

ServoBillieves
06-08-2010, 10:34 PM
OVERRATED:

Stevie Johnson: Had he improved upon his 08 numbers (over half his passes for 1st down, 2 TD's) I would consider him a legit receiver. I will not downplay him due to the fact his sole role was overtaken by T.O. on the team, but if he can't show it this year then severely overrated.

Corey McIntyre: Wait, did anyone rate him at all?

Marcus Stroud: After an incredibly ****ty year, the once savior of the D-Line just looked dismal last season. If he can't adjust to the outside, I'll in-bite my tounge on calling this a Pro-Bowl (as much of a joke the PB is) move.

Jairus Byrd: Boy that hurt... He's going to be phenomenal, but it's one year in. If he can tackle along with the interceptions, he'll immediately be superstar status, but I saw a lot of arm tackles last season that slipped. The dude can play but if anyones going to compare him to elites he needs to play at that level at all times.

Underrated:

BRYAN Scott: It's obvious he's underrated when everyone spells his first name incorrectly. The dude has done nothing but produce since he was brought in from TEN.

Derek Schouman: Pre-injury, the guy felt like a poor man's Dallas Clark. The dude can catch, he can block, he can be that tricky 2nd receiving TE when Nelson is on the field, and will majorly contribute this year.

Kyle Williams: 5th rounder who has stuck around this long with faith in both new D-Line coaches, D Coordinators, and head coaches as a starter, he's shown something. He can break through the line, and let's hope he can take up more blockers this year.

Drayton Florence: Everyone who has put him so far has had it right. When the other corners went down, he stepped up. If he gets beat deep he won't catch, but he's a form-fit tackler and bats a lot of balls.

George Wilson: Nuff said.

YardRat
06-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Over rated-the POS and Byrd, but both could erase that and establish themselves in the next couple of years. Steve Johnson - similar to Brohm (hasn't proven anything yet, so tough to be rated anything), but many fans seem to be all over his nuts for no reason.

Under rated - Kyle Williams, Donte Whitner, Bryan Scott.

Buffalogic
06-09-2010, 03:49 AM
I don't know whose overrated but I know Schobel is underrated.

Mr. Pink
06-09-2010, 04:11 AM
Overrated - the entire team minus one guy....Brian Moorman.

Underrated - Brian Moorman.

He is easily the teams best player of the past decade. Whatever you think of the guy, isn't enough. How his leg hasn't fallen off yet or he hasn't gotten killed by someone on punt block is beyond my comprehension.

tampabay25690
06-09-2010, 04:51 AM
What about Rian Lindell??? This guy probably kicks it the worst conditions possible and he still comes out clutch...

X-Era
06-09-2010, 05:22 AM
Overrated:

Jamon Meredith - Has talent, but not ready yet. Should be a depth guy at this point.

Fred Jackson - Yes, I said it. He is a nice back. A decent back and great story. But amongst NFL starters he is just above average.

Dwan Edwards - a solid DE in Baltimore, but he had guys like Ngata and Lewis and Reed on the defense with him. He was a good pick-up to be a stop gap guy.

Andra Davis - OK LB. Nothing great. He too was a good pick-up to be a stop gap guy

Underrated :

Donte Whitner - Was he worth the #8 pick? Nope. Is he still a solid safety and good player. Sure. He does not need to be run out of town though.

Aaron Schobel - He might not be able to play OLB. No doubt. But he was a very solid DE. His numbers are proof. His reputation for garbage sacks only is overblown.

George Wilson - He has turned into a very solid safety. I wish he had played there his entire career and he might be a top level guy.

Poz- Injury prone for sure, but the defense is much better with him in there. I think he will flourish at ILB in the 3-4.

Hangartner - Somehow this team had the 8th best yards per carry in the NFL last year. We know the blocking did not come from the tackle positions. We also know the guards were both rookies, and then RG was a swinging gate of FAs. And it is not like the defenses facing the Bills feared the passing game. So he did something right
Doc, maybe your perceptions will change when you get to see our new faces play?

Overrated:

Keith Ellison- I have always felt he is below average, he blows way more plays than he makes.

Aaron Schobel- Yes I said it. Ive said it before. Aaron gets a lot of his sacks in garbage time yet he doesn't get big sacks in big moments very often. I like him. But I think he is not good enough to be our top pass rusher on our team. Saying it another way, if hes the best that we have, then our DE's arent good enough. Now in the 3-4, as an OLB, I think hes out of position and will have a sub-par season if he comes back.

Chris Kelsay- He plays with fire but has never been that productive. Hes like Phil Hansen but I liked Phil a lot more. Like Schobel, he will be out of position in the 3-4. He may not even make the team.

Roscoe Parrish- Hes too small to do anything with. Yes hes fast, but he scurries around like a rat and is caught in the open field because he tries to do to much rather than just run straight ahead with the ball. And now that hes had some bad fumbles... Whats the upside at this point? He cant be a possession guy, he doesnt use his speed wisely, he now has some question marks about his ability to hold on to the rock.

Underrated:

Kyle Williams- In a few games hes made more plays than Schobel. He will never be a household name, but hes a hell of a road grader. He brings his lunch pail every game. Hes the type of overall solid player that we desperately need in so many areas.

Steve Johnson- He hasn't gotten a chance. This year he will. I think he ends up being at worst our slot guy and at best our #2. Hes got potential and has shown flashes, if he was fully proven, he wouldn't make an underrated list. Hes underrated because we hasn't been able to prove himself fully yet. He was buried behind the waste of money T.O. and a Jauron favorite, Josh Reed. Its a make or break year for the guy from the standpoint that the competition is wide open and there no shoe ins in front of him.

Shawn Nelson- Like Johnson, he needs someone to get him the ball. But hes going to be really good. See Johnson on why hes rated as underrated.

Ellis Lankster- Hes a pick artist who could get playing time if one of our other CB's doesn't make the cut or gets injured. He may even push out another guy for a job. Hes a sleeper on this team.

Drayton Florence- At times last year he was our best CB. Hes a guy you can trust to play with anyone. He isnt a top tier dominant CB. But, hes the definition of solid.

DraftBoy
06-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Overrated-
Jackson
Lynch
McGee
Pos
Stroud
Johnson

Underrated-
Wilson
McKelvin
Levitre
Florence

Jan Reimers
06-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Lee Evans is the most consistently underrated player on this board.

HHURRICANE
06-09-2010, 08:17 AM
First off great thread! This site needs more of these!

Overrated:

Poz, 1st round grade with 3rd round performance at best.

Schobel, all the stats in the world doesn't make me believe he's any better than what I've seen with my own eyes for a decade.

Wood, he was the best player on a terrible line. Can we judge him after this season before we put him in the pro-bowl. Ellison looked great his rookie year as well.

Lindell, classic Bill. Great until the game is on the line.

Evans. Where do I start? He was the number 2 WR last year at 8 million a year.

Underrated:

Hangartner, the guy was brought in as an upgrade to the Center position. He's not a pro-bowler. So we throw him in between two rookies and expect him to carry the entire o-line. We are getting value out of this pickup.

Stroud, this guy carried the D last year on a team that won 5 games. He showed me more heart than anyone wants to give him credit for.

Spencer Johnson, another guy that played hard.

Josh Reed, yes he's no longer on the team but he was always the guy that was making the clutch catches. Too bad Evans doesn't have his heart.

Moorman. Yes he get's alot of praise but he's the hardest working guy on the team and when your punter is the best player you have to be underrated.

justasportsfan
06-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Under Dick
Over rated. Stroud.
Under rated - Wilson.

Under gailey - will have to wait.

JCBills
06-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Overrated:

Underrated :

I think calling Poz injury prone is unfair. I don't know many people who's arm will hold up to helmets hitting it in opposite directions. Yeah, it got hit just right and broke again, but he came back before it had even fully healed (badass). After that, Poz only had less than 9 tackles per game twice, and I'm willing to bet that when the numbers are all finished, his AYAT is still hovering around 3.

JCBills
06-09-2010, 03:58 PM
First off great thread! This site needs more of these!

Overrated:

Poz, 1st round grade with 3rd round performance at best.

Schobel, all the stats in the world doesn't make me believe he's any better than what I've seen with my own eyes for a decade.

Wood, he was the best player on a terrible line. Can we judge him after this season before we put him in the pro-bowl. Ellison looked great his rookie year as well.

Lindell, classic Bill. Great until the game is on the line.

Evans. Where do I start? He was the number 2 WR last year at 8 million a year.

Underrated:

Hangartner, the guy was brought in as an upgrade to the Center position. He's not a pro-bowler. So we throw him in between two rookies and expect him to carry the entire o-line. We are getting value out of this pickup.

Stroud, this guy carried the D last year on a team that won 5 games. He showed me more heart than anyone wants to give him credit for.

Spencer Johnson, another guy that played hard.

Josh Reed, yes he's no longer on the team but he was always the guy that was making the clutch catches. Too bad Evans doesn't have his heart.

Moorman. Yes he get's alot of praise but he's the hardest working guy on the team and when your punter is the best player you have to be underrated.

Always get a good chuckle when I see this mentality on display.

Also, Stroud underrated? Leads back to the bolded statement and makes me wonder just what you do see with those eyes.

HHURRICANE
06-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Always get a good chuckle when I see this mentality on display.

Also, Stroud underrated? Leads back to the bolded statement and makes me wonder just what you do see with those eyes.

Watching him in all of those playoff games has been enjoyable.

The thing I love about the homers on this board is that they are willinging to ignore the record. It's a decade of losing and players not stepping up in big games.

JCBills
06-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Watching him in all of those playoff games has been enjoyable.

The thing I love about the homers on this board is that they are willinging to ignore the record. It's a decade of losing and players not stepping up in big games.
Yep, because the success or failure of an entire team can be thrown on Poz's shoulders.

Oaf
06-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Overrated:

Jamon Meredith - Has talent, but not ready yet. Should be a depth guy at this point. He might not be ready (or have the talent) but only based on what I saw last year, he's a better option than Bell.

Fred Jackson - Yes, I said it. He is a nice back. A decent back and great story. But amongst NFL starters he is just above average. Some people just can't be convinced he was one of the top performing backs in the league last year..

justasportsfan
06-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Yep, because the success or failure of an entire team can be thrown on Poz's shoulders.
He blames POZ for not stepping up but calls Stroud under rated and carried a D . At what point did Stroud step up when the D was one of the worst vs. the run? HH is a joke :coocoo:

JCBills
06-10-2010, 05:56 AM
He blames POZ for not stepping up but calls Stroud under rated and carried a D . At what point did Stroud step up when the D was one of the worst vs. the run? HH is a joke :coocoo:

I don't know, but it got me to laugh.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Underrated: How about Kirk Chambers? He's the best LT this team has... which, sadly, isn't saying much, considering how much Meredith and Bell outright stink, but still, people treat him like he's worse than Bell and Meredith. Chambers can at least play at the NFL level-- something that I can't see from Meredith or Bell.

Overrated: C.J. Spiller. Come on, folks. He hasn't even set foot on the field yet.

JCBills
06-10-2010, 02:58 PM

Haha he negged me for that.

psubills62
06-10-2010, 03:05 PM
So if a majority of people think a particular player is overrated...wouldn't that indicate that it's only a few people who are overrating him? That would indicate to me that he's not overrated.

feldspar
06-10-2010, 03:29 PM

He "stabilized the position?"

In three of the five games he won at QB last year, the other team turned the ball over a combined 13 times; again, that's in three games, which translated to over 4 turnovers by the other team per win. Cassel threw 4 INTs, while Kansas City still only lost by 6; Fitz threw for 86 yards and a TD while turning the ball over twice himself in that game.

In the first Jets game, Sanchez threw 5 INTs; Fitz completed 40% of his passes for 116 yards, a TD and an INT...before Edwards left the game, he was 5 out of 5 for 43 yards. We STILL had to go into overtime to win that one by 3.

In the Carolina game, Delhome threw 3 INTs, two of which had Byrd set up 14 points for us. They also fumbled; meanwhile, Fitzpatrick completed half his passes for 123 yards.

So that's three wins so far...then there was the Colts game where we played their scrubs. That shouldn't even count.

The only game he had anything to do with a win is the Miami game. I'll give him credit for that one.

Then there are people that still like to bring up the fact that Fitzpatrick won his final three games in Cincy. Well, two of those teams had a combined 6 wins that year. In those two games, Fitzy threw for a combined 184 yards a TD. Something tells me that something other than Fitz was the deciding factor.

In conclusion, I'd say a lot of people actually OVERRATE Fitzpatrick, and by quite a bit. I'm not sure if I consider him even a solid backup, which a lot of people do.

feldspar
06-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Overrated: Lee Evans

Underrated: Kyle Williams

Also, the Bills easily have a top five secondary in the league, yet have no real recognition of a single player save Byrd. By people outside of Buffalo, the secondary as a whole is usually way underrated, especially since they manage to do so well despite lack of a decent pass rush and piss-poor run stuffing. If any of you guys ever visit different teams' message boards, you'd see how severely underrated the secondary is. The depth is so there, too.

Philagape
06-10-2010, 03:44 PM
He "stabilized the position?"

In three of the five games he won at QB last year, the other team turned the ball over a combined 13 times; again, that's in three games, which translated to over 4 turnovers by the other team per win. Cassel threw 4 INTs, while Kansas City still only lost by 6; Fitz threw for 86 yards and a TD while turning the ball over twice himself in that game.

In the first Jets game, Sanchez threw 5 INTs; Fitz completed 40% of his passes for 116 yards, a TD and an INT...before Edwards left the game, he was 5 out of 5 for 43 yards. We STILL had to go into overtime to win that one by 3.

In the Carolina game, Delhome threw 3 INTs, two of which had Byrd set up 14 points for us. They also fumbled; meanwhile, Fitzpatrick completed half his passes for 123 yards.

So that's three wins so far...then there was the Colts game where we played their scrubs. That shouldn't even count.

The only game he had anything to do with a win is the Miami game. I'll give him credit for that one.

Then there are people that still like to bring up the fact that Fitzpatrick won his final three games in Cincy. Well, two of those teams had a combined 6 wins that year. In those two games, Fitzy threw for a combined 184 yards a TD. Something tells me that something other than Fitz was the deciding factor.

In conclusion, I'd say a lot of people actually OVERRATE Fitzpatrick, and by quite a bit. I'm not sure if I consider him even a solid backup, which a lot of people do.

He still was better than the other guys. He's the incumbent until proven otherwise; therefore, people who say he should just be off the team underrate him.
The most I expected of any Bills QB last year was to not lose the game. Fitz succeeded at that more than Edwards did.

justasportsfan
06-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Haha he negged me for that.

What rep power does HH have since I can't read his posts? I'll POS rep you once I am able to.

feldspar
06-10-2010, 04:04 PM
The most I expected of any Bills QB last year was to not lose the game. Fitz succeeded at that more than Edwards did.

Did you hear a word I just said? You don't think any of those points were any good? If you are going to give the first Jets game win to Fitzy (which Trent started), we absolutely could have easily gone 1-8 with Fitzpatrick had the defense not created an unbelievable amount of turnovers and the real Colts had showed up. Pretty easy concept to wrap your head around, and it's true. ANYBODY should be able to win if your defense creates more than 4 turnovers per game.

Gimme a break, will ya? The defense and special teams didn't do Edwards any such favors; quite the opposite, like how the defense and/or Special Teams actually LOST us the Patriots opener and the Cleveland game. Trent didn't lose than Cleveland game anymore than Fitz won the KC or Jets game, for example. How 'bout that second Jets game? Fitz went 9 out of 23 (39.1%) for 98 yards and an INT. We lost that game by 6 - one score. Quite the stabilizing force indeed.

He ain't no kind of incumbent with the new staff here. Don't count on him starting. I'd bet against it.

Philagape
06-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Did you hear a word I just said? You don't think any of those points were any good? If you are going to give the first Jets game win to Fitzy (which Trent started), we absolutely could have easily gone 1-8 with Fitzpatrick had the defense not created an unbelievable amount of turnovers and the real Colts had showed up. Pretty easy concept to wrap your head around, and it's true. ANYBODY should be able to win if your defense creates more than 4 turnovers per game.

Gimme a break, will ya? The defense and special teams didn't do Edwards any such favors; quite the opposite, like how the defense and/or Special Teams actually LOST us the Patriots opener and the Cleveland game. Trent didn't lose than Cleveland game anymore than Fitz won the KC or Jets game, for example. How 'bout that second Jets game? Fitz went 9 out of 23 (39.1%) for 98 yards and an INT. We lost that game by 6 - one score. Quite the stabilizing force indeed.

Everything you said doesn't change the fact that
Fitz.
Was.
Better.
That doesn't mean he's what anyone would consider a "good" QB, or that someone else won't take the job this year. But as bad as he was, he was still better than the other two last year. That's all I'm saying.

feldspar
06-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Everything you said doesn't change the fact that
Fitz.
Was.
Better.
That doesn't mean he's what anyone would consider a "good" QB, or that someone else won't take the job this year. But as bad as he was, he was still better than the other two last year. That's all I'm saying.

I don't even really agree with that, either.

Philagape
06-10-2010, 04:42 PM
If the Bills had a game this Sunday, who do you want starting at QB?

JCBills
06-10-2010, 04:58 PM
What rep power does HH have since I can't read his posts? I'll POS rep you once I am able to.

38, haha thanks :P

feldspar
06-10-2010, 05:03 PM
If the Bills had a game this Sunday, who do you want starting at QB?

Aaron Rodgers.

If I had to choose between Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Brohm, or Brown, I'd be forced to go with Edwards. Haven't seen much of Brohm, so he's pretty much a shot in the dark. I can't say I'd start him or I'd be making stuff up; I could say that I hope he can be the guy, but his NFL resume so far does not look that good...I know he's still young, but the fact remains. Throw Brown in there too soon and especially on this team, you might just ruin whatever chance at a decent career he might have had.

To me, Fitzpatrick is right out of the equation. I think that, if Brohm shows any promise at all and Edwards beats him out, Fitzpatrick should be the first one out the door. Don't hate the guy, but I just think that he isn't a very good player.

To me, it's Edwards or Brohm, with Edwards the heavy favorite. Considering what the alternatives are, this is NOT a ringing endorsement of Edwards. At the very least, I think that Edwards has a pretty bright future as a backup QB on this team. I also think that he has the biggest upside with the right coaching that will actually put him into positions that play to his strengths.

Philagape
06-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I agree Edwards has the biggest upside, but that's a long-term outlook entirely dependent on him overcoming his fear of his own shadow.
If there was a game this week, I have to go with the guy who gives the greatest chance to win now. Edwards cannot be trusted with live ball, and Brohm is still a practice squad guy as far as I'm concerned, so I'd be forced to pick the veteran who, right now, has outperformed the other two. In the real world, that could change, and I hope it does, but it might not.

feldspar
06-10-2010, 05:23 PM
I agree Edwards has the biggest upside, but that's a long-term outlook entirely dependent on him overcoming his fear of his own shadow.
If there was a game this week, I have to go with the guy who gives the greatest chance to win now. Edwards cannot be trusted with live ball, and Brohm is still a practice squad guy as far as I'm concerned, so I'd be forced to pick the veteran who, right now, has outperformed the other two. In the real world, that could change, and I hope it does, but it might not.

Like I said, I don't think that Fitzpatrick outperformed Edwards last year, and certainly not over their respective careers, all things considered.

Fitzy does NOT give us the best chance to win. I described how we won those games he was in last year, and he had very little to do with any of the wins except one single game. 3 games with 13 turnovers forced by the defense and beating a team that wasn't even trying to win doesn't impress me. In those four wins, he averaged 120 yards per game. He will NOT receive those same gifts this year.

If Edwards has the biggest upside, you play him. Don't know what else there could be to consider. The worst thing that could happen is that we bench him in favor of someone else...or he could get hurt again. Anyway, when you have a four-way QB competition, something is certainly up.

Philagape
06-10-2010, 06:06 PM
If Edwards has the biggest upside, you play him. Don't know what else there could be to consider.

I consider his weekly collapses and timidity. He fell to pieces out there. They don't call him Captain Checkdown for nothing. He played his way out of the starting job, and deservedly so. As bad as Fitz was, Edwards was worse.

X-Era
06-10-2010, 07:09 PM

Fitz represents a marginally better chance to win if that. I dont actually buy that, but I can see the argument.

Look, there's no point in trying to start a guy for just this year on this team right now. This is a team thats rebuilding and one of its major areas to rebuild is at QB.

No point in belaboring it, get to it. Unfortunately, we didn't get a rookie who has a real chance to be the franchise guy anytime soon. So, we need to evaluate what we have. No point in evaluating a guy with no upside.

Lets cut to the chase. If Fitz buys us one or two wins on a 8 and 8 team, then start him. But, a) I don't believe that, and b) I'm not so sure we are even an 8 win team with brand new schemes and without the personnel or experience to successfully run them yet.

feldspar
06-10-2010, 10:07 PM
I consider his weekly collapses and timidity. He fell to pieces out there. They don't call him Captain Checkdown for nothing. He played his way out of the starting job, and deservedly so. As bad as Fitz was, Edwards was worse.

Not really. Trent got hurt, then the Bills won a couple of games. The Bills won, not Fitzpatrick...he was just there at best. Edwards came back after his injury for one game, Jauron was fired, and Fewell was jockeying for a job. If Fewell had any sense of working toward the future of the Bills (and not his own job), he would have at least started Brohm against the Colts' scrubs. That's what I think, anyway.

Not really sure how anyone can say that Fitzpatrick gives a better chance to win. The idea is ridiculous to me. Trent has done some things to impress me. Fitzpatrick hasn't.

Philagape
06-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Not really. Trent got hurt, then the Bills won a couple of games. The Bills won, not Fitzpatrick...he was just there at best. Edwards came back after his injury for one game, Jauron was fired, and Fewell was jockeying for a job. If Fewell had any sense of working toward the future of the Bills (and not his own job), he would have at least started Brohm against the Colts' scrubs. That's what I think, anyway.

Not really sure how anyone can say that Fitzpatrick gives a better chance to win. The idea is ridiculous to me. Trent has done some things to impress me. Fitzpatrick hasn't.

Trent's impressive things are long ago and have been eclipsed by his more recent repulsive things, which is what got him benched after the Tennessee game, and deservedly so. Yes, he really did play himself out of the job. He was worse than Fitz, so Fitz was put back in.

feldspar
06-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Trent's impressive things are long ago and have been eclipsed by his more recent repulsive things, which is what got him benched after the Tennessee game, and deservedly so. Yes, he really did play himself out of the job. He was worse than Fitz, so Fitz was put back in.

When did Fitzpatrick's impressive things happen? Are you one of those guys that find it exciting to see the ball travel 40 yards in the air, no matter what happens? I looked up these things last year, and Trent, in his first two years, attempted more passes that traveled 39+ yards in the air than Peyton Manning did during that same time, even though Trent played quite a bit less. Those plays aren't as common as you think.

Fitz was pulled in the New England game for a second there, too. Anyway, just because "they" did something doesn't mean they were right in doing it. I think Trent was better than Fitzpatrick last year. Edwards didn't throw away a sure win in the New England game...the defense and McKelvin did. He didn't botched the punt return in the Cleveland game...Parrish did. Edwards had almost as much bad luck done by his teammates than Fitzpatrick had good luck, through no doing of his own.

Last year doesn't matter anyway. That's over. Who should start now is the only question. If you think that Edwards has more upside than Fitzy, yet you think Fitzy should start anyway, I don't know what else to say to you.

Philagape
06-10-2010, 11:03 PM
When did Fitzpatrick's impressive things happen? Are you one of those guys that find it exciting to see the ball travel 40 yards in the air, no matter what happens? I looked up these things last year, and Trent, in his first two years, attempted more passes that traveled 39+ yards in the air than Peyton Manning did during that same time, even though Trent played quite a bit less. Those plays aren't as common as you think.

Fitz was pulled in the New England game for a second there, too. Anyway, just because "they" did something doesn't mean they were right in doing it. I think Trent was better than Fitzpatrick last year. Edwards didn't throw away a sure win in the New England game...the defense and McKelvin did. He didn't botched the punt return in the Cleveland game...Parrish did. Edwards had almost as much bad luck done by his teammates than Fitzpatrick had good luck, through no doing of his own.

Last year doesn't matter anyway. That's over. Who should start now is the only question. If you think that Edwards has more upside than Fitzy, yet you think Fitzy should start anyway, I don't know what else to say to you.

I don't care what Trent did two years ago, he's been messed up since then with no reason to believe he'll be fixed. Whatever the rest of the team did in his games, Trent still sucked, and he deserved his benching. If you think Fitz was worse, you're entitled to your opinion, but I don't remember anyone clamoring for Trent to be put back in last year.
I've already said Trent's upside depends on him being fixed. As of now, I assume he's not.