Which Bills players do fans overrate and underrate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Which Bills players do fans overrate and underrate?

Overrated:

Brian Brohm - not the answer. Very well might not make the team.

Jamon Meredith - Has talent, but not ready yet. Should be a depth guy at this point.

Fred Jackson - Yes, I said it. He is a nice back. A decent back and great story. But amongst NFL starters he is just above average.

Dwan Edwards - a solid DE in Baltimore, but he had guys like Ngata and Lewis and Reed on the defense with him. He was a good pick-up to be a stop gap guy.

Andra Davis - OK LB. Nothing great. He too was a good pick-up to be a stop gap guy

Underrated :

Donte Whitner - Was he worth the #8 pick? Nope. Is he still a solid safety and good player. Sure. He does not need to be run out of town though.

Aaron Schobel - He might not be able to play OLB. No doubt. But he was a very solid DE. His numbers are proof. His reputation for garbage sacks only is overblown.

George Wilson - He has turned into a very solid safety. I wish he had played there his entire career and he might be a top level guy.

Poz- Injury prone for sure, but the defense is much better with him in there. I think he will flourish at ILB in the 3-4.

Hangartner - Somehow this team had the 8th best yards per carry in the NFL last year. We know the blocking did not come from the tackle positions. We also know the guards were both rookies, and then RG was a swinging gate of FAs. And it is not like the defenses facing the Bills feared the passing game. So he did something right
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: Which Bills players do fans overrate and underrate?

Well, it always depends on which poster you're talking about, but in general I would agree with those.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
      I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
      • May 2005

I'd agree mostly, except for Poz... Most people I hear make him sound like he's a top flight LB and the best defensive player on the team.

I think he's slightly above average and looks better due to a lack of talent around him. He has not made gamebreaking plays on a regular basis so far in his tenure and I don't really see that ability in him.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
        • May 2003

Overrated:
        Brian Morman

Underrated:
        Brian Scott

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

I only disagree about Whitner and Poz. Whitner imo is easily replacable, Poz is a middle of the road LB who is slightly better than Davis. Replacable as well, not as easily as Whitner is though.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Ickybaluky
            • Jul 2003

I think McGee is underrated by Bills fans. Part of that is his struggling with injury, but when healthy he is a very good CB, IMO. Even though he isn't very big, he isn't afraid to stick his nose in and tackle.

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

Underrated: Ryan Fitzpatrick

He'll never be more than a backup, but last year he stabilized the position, and most importantly the team did better with him in there. Going .500 on that team is quite the feat.
              Some have automatically counted him out of the derby, but he outperformed Edwards and is more proven than Brohm, so he's the incumbent until beaten out, which is no given.
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Philagape
                WIN NOW
                • Jul 2002

Overrated: Kyle Williams

I love the guy's motor and he can make occasional plays shooting the gap, but he just gets swallowed against the run. He's a big reason why this team was dead last against the run for most of the year. If a decent lineman locks onto him, it's a mismatch.
                "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                  Pinkerton's son
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Philagape
                  Underrated: Ryan Fitzpatrick

He'll never be more than a backup, but last year he stabilized the position, and most importantly the team did better with him in there. Going .500 on that team is quite the feat.
                  Some have automatically counted him out of the derby, but he outperformed Edwards and is more proven than Brohm, so he's the incumbent until beaten out, which is no given.
                  Id rather start Fitz than Trentative.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                    • Feb 2004

Overrated: I might get shot for this but JARIUS BRYD......Yes the guy made a ton of picks last year but is he that good???? In the right place at the right time...

UNDERRATED: KYLE WILLIAMS the guy gives 150%% every play.....I think he will do a good job in the 3-4 at DT with TROUP coming in as well....
                    GO Gators!!!!!!
                    GO GATORS!!

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                      I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by tampabay25690
                      Overrated: I might get shot for this but JARIUS BRYD......Yes the guy made a ton of picks last year but is he that good???? In the right place at the right time...

UNDERRATED: KYLE WILLIAMS the guy gives 150%% every play.....I think he will do a good job in the 3-4 at DT with TROUP coming in as well....
                      Being in the right place at the right time is a result of being good... and the reason why most of the rest of the defense never makes big gamebreaking plays... they aren't that good and therefore are never in the right place at the right time.

Byrd may be overrated in the long run, but right now it's too early to say that. He's had one season, and it was a great one.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                        Unreachable Douche
                        • Jul 2002

Overrated: Lynch, Poz, Schobel, Whitner, Stroud, McFumbles, Evans

Underrated: None.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Overrated:
                          Whitner- people insist on defending this guy and calling him a "hard hitter" despite the fact that he's proven nothing in the NFL and has had exactly ONE hard hit in his entire career. Plus, he runs his mouth and can't back it up.

Kyle Williams- the guy has exceeded expectations and he works hard, so he is a fan favorite. And I think he's an asset to the team, or at least he was in the C2 D. But he simply doesn't have that natural talent.

Brian Brohm- people just want hope at the QB spot so they don't see that this guy has proven nothing.

Hangartner- the guy is mediocre at best. He was nothing more than a backup in Carolina and one of the reasons why our O sucks is because he got manhandled by 3-4 NT's.

Parrish- the guy's fast. He's also stupid and makes ridiculous rookie mistakes despite being a 5 year vet.

Stroud- I like the guy but he was absolutely brutal last season. I think he's hit the wall.

Poz- he's serviceable but gets hurt too often and never lived up to the college hype.

Underrated:
                          Florence- the guy quietly had a great season filling in for McKelvin last year.

Brian Scott- he did well at both S and LB, despite being undersized for LB.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Ron Burgundy
                            • Nov 2005

I don't think anybody truly rates Brohm. All that bull**** earlier this year was just the sound of the sheep bleating because we suck so bad. Anybody that's still on that bandwagon is just a lost cause, and a failure in the field of "life."

And of course, this question is not about talent, but about perception.

Overrated: Jairus is a good call, TB...and it's solely because a lot of people are ready to crown this guy an all-pro, when he's got one good season under his belt. He could go from overrated to excellent pretty quickly, though.

Underrated: Lee Evans. If the guy would have played just about anywhere else, he'd be a household name. Bills fans take him for granted, I think, because he's undersized and his production isn't where you'd like it. But Sweet Lee 83's a baller.
                            Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 06-08-2010, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• mayotm
                              • Jul 2003

I know he's not a player, but Chan Gailey may be underrated. He has been relatively successful throughout his career. Many of us were disappointed that the Bills didn't land a bigger name. However, I think we'll discover that Gailey will be far more competent than the last several head coaches.
                              Last edited by mayotm; 06-08-2010, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X