PDA

View Full Version : Schobel NOT playing in 2010 (link)

bills4ver
06-10-2010, 12:46 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/1...ming-back.html (http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/10/1077533/schobel-says-hes-not-coming-back.html)

It appears that Aaron Schobel has played his last game as a Buffalo Bill.

While he hasn't made his retirement official, he made it clear that he isn't prepared to
play right now.

"At this point I don't think I'm going to play," Schobel told The Buffalo News on Thursday.
"I'm not ready to say I'm retiring but it's in the Bills' hands."

He said that he does not plan to attend any of the remaining organized team activities or
the mandatory minicamp that runs from June 23 to 25 or training camp. However, Schobel said
that he would consider a return at some point during the season if the Bills needed him to
come back.

"But if they want to move on, I'm fine with that."

Schobel has hinted at retiring since the end of the 2008 season, citing a desire to spend
more time with his family. He recently sold his house in Western New York.

He has the second most sacks in team history behind Bruce Smith.

-- Mark Gaughan and Allen Wilson

wmoz11
06-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Good thing you didn't put this in the Schobel thread. It would have derailed the musical pissing match going on.

methos4ever
06-10-2010, 12:50 PM
I find it quite funny that he won't file for retirement, but he just won't show up and keep that nice little roster bonus he got in March...."And leave it up to the Bills" to classify him as retired/did not report.

T-Long
06-10-2010, 12:54 PM
they shouldn't release him, just let him retire on his own. If he wants to come back, he is still under Bills control. Bills don't have to pay him if he retires. He may just want released and then sign with a contender if a DE goes down

OpIv37
06-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Not a surprise.

And good riddance.

Don't get me wrong- while I think Schobel is overrated by a lot of fans, he certainly has helped this team over his career and he's the best DE we've had since BRRRRRUUUCCE. But clearly his heart isn't in it anymore, and I sincerely doubt his heart was in it the last two seasons. I can't even say I blame him with the way this organization pissed away his career. But if his heart's not in it, step down and let someone who WANTS to play have a chance. We have no shortage of 4-3 DE's trying to make the transition.

psubills62
06-10-2010, 01:09 PM
they shouldn't release him, just let him retire on his own. If he wants to come back, he is still under Bills control. Bills don't have to pay him if he retires. He may just want released and then sign with a contender if a DE goes down

EDIT: Yeah, I read it wrong, sorry T.

BertSquirtgum
06-10-2010, 01:15 PM
good fu** him and his dumbo sized ears. overrated @sshole.

T-Long
06-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Release him? Are you crazy? There's a "retired" list for a reason. Besides, if they get an injury or two in TC, why not leave the option open.
? I think you read my post wrong.

RockStar36
06-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Not shocking and good news for the Bills, although it's really annoying that he won't just man up and announce it.

The Bills better not release him. I think he has other ideas which is why he won't formally announce it.

justasportsfan
06-10-2010, 01:21 PM
does he expect the bills to keep a roster spot for him? Na, time to move on.

Yasgur's Farm
06-10-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure how his guaranteed $6+M 2010 salary plays out in all this.

BertSquirtgum
06-10-2010, 01:31 PM
i think it's safe to say the bills are already setting their defense up as if schobel has already retired.

Yasgur's Farm
06-10-2010, 01:31 PM
But he certainly did steal that $2M roster bonus in March. :negrep:

8/24/2007: Signed a seven-year, $50.5 million contract. The deal contains $21 million guaranteed, including Schobel's first four base salaries. 2010: $6.025 million (+ $2 million roster bonus due in March), 2011-2012: $6.5 million, 2013: $8.5 million, 2014: Free Agent

Dr. Lecter
06-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Sounds to me like he would like to be traded or released.

See if Houston will give up a pick for him

psubills62
06-10-2010, 01:36 PM

Could always do what San Fran just did with Isaac Bruce - trade him for a pick conditional on if he plays in 2010 or 2011.

acehole
06-10-2010, 01:42 PM
K bye thanks for playing.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/1...ming-back.html (http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/10/1077533/schobel-says-hes-not-coming-back.html)

It appears that Aaron Schobel has played his last game as a Buffalo Bill.

While he hasn't made his retirement official, he made it clear that he isn't prepared to
play right now.

"At this point I don't think I'm going to play," Schobel told The Buffalo News on Thursday.
"I'm not ready to say I'm retiring but it's in the Bills' hands."

He said that he does not plan to attend any of the remaining organized team activities or
the mandatory minicamp that runs from June 23 to 25 or training camp. However, Schobel said
that he would consider a return at some point during the season if the Bills needed him to
come back.

"But if they want to move on, I'm fine with that."

Schobel has hinted at retiring since the end of the 2008 season, citing a desire to spend
more time with his family. He recently sold his house in Western New York.

He has the second most sacks in team history behind Bruce Smith.

-- Mark Gaughan and Allen Wilson

Thurmal
06-10-2010, 01:51 PM
I challenge any Schobel lovers to recall one memorable game he ever played. Like where he dominated and changed the course of the game.

This guy was a homeless man's Phil Hansen.

ParanoidAndroid
06-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Hansen was better, but Schobel wasn't exactly a slouch.

Night Train
06-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Pot shot time, I see. :rolleyes:

I wish him the best and thank him for his 9 years of effort while playing on bad teams.

If they can trade him for a pick, that would be good.

Turn the page.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-10-2010, 02:05 PM
TIME FOR MAYBIN TO BE UNLEASHED!!!!!

trapezeus
06-10-2010, 02:17 PM
So if i understand it correct, Schobel is playing this so that the bills have paid him a ridiculous sum in March ($2MM) as per the contract. Then by not retiring, he leaves it up to the bills to either cut him or trade him. If the bills don't do that, we owe him another $6MM and a spot on the roster for a guy who hasn't shown up. Minus the fines that bills could put on him for missing mandatory time, he'll probably still come out ahead.

That leaves him the chance to get cut and sign with a contender.

sounds like Schobel is just as sick of bills football as the rest of us, but he knows he doesn't have 3 years of effort to see a turnaround (if it happens).

Schobel was always a guy who could have been something if surrounded by talent. but the times we did that we had some serious offensive issues.

Hopefully there is a trade to be made because it would suck to let him go because we cut him.

TigerJ
06-10-2010, 02:27 PM
they shouldn't release him, just let him retire on his own. If he wants to come back, he is still under Bills control. Bills don't have to pay him if he retires. He may just want released and then sign with a contender if a DE goes downThose are technical issues I can't disagree with, but I think the Bills need to move on and get the other players at that outside linebacker position ready to play. If Schobel's heart is not in the game at this point, the Bills are better off with younger and more eager players at the position.

justasportsfan
06-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Long time teammate Chris Kelsay isn’t surprised Schobel is taking as long as he has in making a final call on his football future.

“He never told me one way or the other when Kyle Williams and I went down there early in the offseason to spend some time with him,” said Kelsay. “We didn’t spend a whole lot of time talking about football. I never really got a feeling one way or another. But knowing him as a person and being close friends with him and playing my entire career with him I know he’s a family man. He places a lot of his choices on what’s best for his family, but he still has that football mentality.”
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Schobel-I-doubt-Im-coming-back/415b80de-0b03-41b2-a8ff-15bdaef01ce1

shelby
06-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Best of luck Schobel, thanks for the memories!

psubills62
06-10-2010, 03:16 PM
I challenge any Schobel lovers to recall one memorable game he ever played. Like where he dominated and changed the course of the game.

Well the interception against NE during last year's opener should have helped us win the game.

Seriously, what kind of a question is that? How many DE's have more than 1-2 games that fit that description in their lives?

Schobel was one of the best players on years of teams lacking in talent. He's moving on, and other people should too. Whatever happens, I wish Schobel the best.

Yasgur's Farm
06-10-2010, 03:17 PM
So if i understand it correct, Schobel is playing this so that the bills have paid him a ridiculous sum in March ($2MM) as per the contract. Then by not retiring, he leaves it up to the bills to either cut him or trade him. If the bills don't do that, we owe him another $6MM and a spot on the roster for a guy who hasn't shown up. Minus the fines that bills could put on him for missing mandatory time, he'll probably still come out ahead.In a nutshell... Yup. :cgal:

psubills62
06-10-2010, 03:24 PM
So if i understand it correct, Schobel is playing this so that the bills have paid him a ridiculous sum in March ($2MM) as per the contract. Then by not retiring, he leaves it up to the bills to either cut him or trade him. If the bills don't do that, we owe him another $6MM and a spot on the roster for a guy who hasn't shown up. Minus the fines that bills could put on him for missing mandatory time, he'll probably still come out ahead.

Actually, not really. There's a "retired" list the Bills can put him on so he won't take up a roster spot, and I don't think the Bills will have to pay him in that case either. It's the same thing the Packers did with Favre before he tried to come back and force them into releasing/trading him.

Novacane
06-10-2010, 03:24 PM

Definately. It sounds like he'd like to still play but just not here.

Thurmal
06-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Well the interception against NE during last year's opener should have helped us win the game.

Seriously, what kind of a question is that? How many DE's have more than 1-2 games that fit that description in their lives?

Schobel was one of the best players on years of teams lacking in talent. He's moving on, and other people should too. Whatever happens, I wish Schobel the best.

Are you kidding? All top-tier DE's have a few games a season, minimum, where they wreak havoc by getting pressure on the QB? Do you remember how many game-winning scores the Bills' D has given up over his career because we haven't been able to generate a pass rush?

You are right on the INT in the NE game, though. That does stand out b/c it was the one play where Schobel looked like he gave any extra effort over the last five years.

Look, I wish him the best, too, but he is overrated and I'm not going to cry over a guy that got paid $7 million/year to pad his stats with coverage sacks at the end of games.

psubills62
06-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Are you kidding? All top-tier DE's have a few games a season, minimum, where they wreak havoc by getting pressure on the QB? Do you remember how many game-winning scores the Bills' D has given up over his career because we haven't been able to generate a pass rush?

You are right on the INT in the NE game, though. That does stand out b/c it was the one play where Schobel looked like he gave any extra effort over the last five years.

Look, I wish him the best, too, but he is overrated and I'm not going to cry over a guy that got paid $7 million/year to pad his stats with coverage sacks at the end of games.

A few games a season? Hahaha, not really. Jared Allen had two last year against GB, but even those didn't change the course of the games because Minnesota was unstoppable on offense in those games as well.

I could just as easily blame our late-game defensive letdowns on the offense for not being able to stay on the field and keep our defense off it. Schobel has done a fine job for us through the years, and I've seen him get plenty of pressure.

Whether or not you like it, Schobel was the best guy on this team at getting sacks, which is something we could really use. Schobel would be a fine OLB if used correctly (people may bring up Kampman, but I could equally bring up Dumervil, and Kampman was put into coverage the majority of the time, which should never have happened).

JD
06-10-2010, 04:27 PM
What a joke, good riddens you pansy. Should have picked up curling, could have been around your family more often.

EDS
06-10-2010, 04:48 PM

Still the best defender the Bills have had in the past decade.

Philagape
06-10-2010, 04:49 PM

Pre-injury Spikes was better.

billz83
06-10-2010, 05:47 PM
i wish we could just package him and lynch together in a conditional deal where we get a LT and maybe a solid DT..im suprised the bills havent gone after sum of the veteran pro bowlers who are still available in free agency..i know they are old but they are STILL better then who we have!

OpIv37
06-10-2010, 07:28 PM
TIME FOR MAYBIN TO BE UNLEASHED!!!!!
Maybin is a bust.

OpIv37
06-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Not even close. Off the top of my head:

Spikes (pre injury)
Fletcher
Pat Williams
Clements
Winfield

all significantly better. I suspect McKelvin to be on that list soon, and you could make a strong argument for McGee.

Dr. Lecter
06-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Hansen was better, but Schobel wasn't exactly a slouch.

I disagree.

Schobel was better. Hansen had the benefit of Bruce Smith and Cornelius Bennett on the same defense.

Thurmal
06-10-2010, 09:21 PM
I disagree.

Schobel was better. Hansen had the benefit of Bruce Smith and Cornelius Bennett on the same defense.

Hansen was awesome for several years without Biscuit, and better than Schobel without Bruce.

Fletcher is, EASILY, the best Bills defender of the past decade.

Jan Reimers
06-11-2010, 06:32 AM
It's time for Schobel to go, no matter what he was, or even still is. We have a number of young guys, and a few veterans, who actually want to play OLB for the Bills.

ChristopherWalken
06-11-2010, 07:07 AM
His heart is obvioulsy not in Buffalo any more. The Bills have a decision to make and chances are he will be dealt or axed.

To be traded, a contract renegotiation will have to take place allowing Schobel the ability to pick and choose any suitors. He doesn't fit in the 3-4 scheme, therefore the amount of teams showing interest are going to be few.

I don't know if the Bills want to just hand him money to retire. Doesn't seem to fit in their best interest especially after gift wrapping a $2million check just a few short months ago.

Chewing on all of this, I'm willing to bet he gets cut.

HHURRICANE
06-11-2010, 08:05 AM
I find it quite funny that he won't file for retirement, but he just won't show up and keep that nice little roster bonus he got in March...."And leave it up to the Bills" to classify him as retired/did not report.

I hate Schobel. The fact that he never wanted to be captain was a pretty big hint on what kind of character he possessed.

I'm glad that he will be forever linked to the "lost decade".

HHURRICANE
06-11-2010, 08:08 AM
What a joke, good riddens you pansy. Should have picked up curling, could have been around your family more often.

I hope his agent runs off with all of his money. Than he can get a real job and see how much time he spends with his family.

Another classic case of an athlete not living in the real world.

justasportsfan
06-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Shobel and Pat Williams.

YOu also have to consider the crappy coaches Shobel has had since he was drafted.