PDA

View Full Version : A new spin on Schobel

ghz in pittsburgh
06-11-2010, 09:39 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/11/1078118/dicesare-kane-earns-a-spot-on.html

I hear Aaron Schobel wanted certain time concessions if he was going to play another season with the Bills. A dominant force such as Roger Clemens can strike such a deal, but Schobel doesn't exactly carry that kind of clout.

Interesting. I don't know how connected DiCesare is regarding the Bills.

In my opinion, the change to 3-4 means the old Front 7 are all in danger of being phased out in a couple of years. I can see they get rid of Schobel (if he comes back), Kelsay, Ellis next year. Stroud is seeing the writing on the wall and I'm glad he takes the route of fighting for it. Still I see they get his replacement next year.

DMBcrew36
06-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Schobel probably wants to play.. but he doesn't want to go to training camp or engage in any practice activities until mid-August.

psubills62
06-11-2010, 10:16 AM
It seems odd to me that Schobel pretty much tried to pass the buck to the Bills. As if the Bills didn't seem to want him, so that's why he's retiring.

kelly2reed4six
06-11-2010, 10:16 AM
I think we should try to get ANY pick for him....if we draw no interest, cut him loose and allow him to play somewhere else if he wants to. The guy has been a class act for the organization and was dealt a crappy hand by having to play for the Bills the last decade.

Houston Texans run a 4-3 right? Maybe he could contribute there and be close to home. The Texans have a decent shot at being contenders in the next couple of years as well. I'd like to see the guy go out with a championship even if its not with the bills.

Michael82
06-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Aaron Schobel is pulling a Brett Favre on the Bills right now and honestly I'm shocked that they haven't tried to trade his rights. He would be happier in Dallas or on the Texans opposite Mario Williams.

Tatonka
06-11-2010, 10:44 AM
i don't see how he thinks he has the right to pull a brett farve when we are in the process of switching defenses and he needs to learn a new position...

i think he wants to be traded.

DraftBoy
06-11-2010, 10:49 AM
What a frickin diva.

Michael82
06-11-2010, 10:51 AM
i don't see how he thinks he has the right to pull a brett farve when we are in the process of switching defenses and he needs to learn a new position...

i think he wants to be traded.
I think he does too. But It boggles my mind why he doesn't just say that.

RockStar36
06-11-2010, 10:57 AM
He is obviously pulling a Favre, however that won't work with the Bills because of them switching everything up.

I wouldn't trade him though. Hang on to him until he announces his retirement. I wouldn't do him any favors.

DMBcrew36
06-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Again, one of the big keys, if not the biggest key in all of this... is Schobel CAN'T STAND training camp. I think it's one of the major factors here. He probably wants to be told he can skip it if he returns.

DraftBoy
06-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Again, one of the big keys, if not the biggest key in all of this... is Schobel CAN'T STAND training camp. I think it's one of the major factors here. He probably wants to be told he can skip it if he returns.

To which our response should be, sac the **** up and get your ass out there ya nancy.

justasportsfan
06-11-2010, 11:31 AM
time to move on.

mightysimi
06-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Aaron Schobel is pulling a Brett Favre on the Bills right now and honestly I'm shocked that they haven't tried to trade his rights. He would be happier in Dallas or on the Texans opposite Mario Williams.

I can't imagine it would be easy to trade a guy contemplating retirement. I have a hard time hating the guy. I can see not wanting to move to a new position this late in his career.

Jan Reimers
06-11-2010, 11:58 AM
He is in serious decline to begin with, and if he comes into the season with little conditioning and no reps at a new position in a new defensive scheme, he will be useless. The Bills should get him into camp, or get rid of him.

trapezeus
06-11-2010, 12:17 PM
i thought schobel played well last year. better than i expected. but i don't think there is much of a market for a guy who costs $6MM and is uninterested in attending camp.

if the bills cut him, i just don't see a lot of teams scooping him up. especially at that contract.

Bill Cody
06-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Schobel probably wants to play.. but he doesn't want to go to training camp or engage in any practice activities until mid-August.

I understand where he's coming from. I want to have sex with hot babes but I don't want to have to pay for dinner. Good deal if you can get it.

RockStar36
06-11-2010, 12:39 PM

If this was a normal off-season, that wouldn't be an issue. But with him switching positions and the Bills going to a 3-4, there is no way he can skip camp and expect to play even remotely well.

mightysimi
06-11-2010, 12:49 PM
He is in serious decline to begin with, and if he comes into the season with little conditioning and no reps at a new position in a new defensive scheme, he will be useless. The Bills should get him into camp, or get rid of him.

I bet 80% of the players in the NFL would love to have a decline be 10 sacks.

You are right about not being able to switch positions without practice though.

mightysimi
06-11-2010, 12:49 PM
i thought schobel played well last year. better than i expected. but i don't think there is much of a market for a guy who costs $6MM and is uninterested in attending camp.

if the bills cut him, i just don't see a lot of teams scooping him up. especially at that contract.

If the bills cut him, he won't have that contract.

better days
06-11-2010, 01:43 PM
I understand where he's coming from. I want to have sex with hot babes but I don't want to have to pay for dinner. Good deal if you can get it.

You cheap bastad, pay for that girls dinner.

Lexwhat
06-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Schobel, IMO, has no trade value. Unless a team negotiates a pay cut in advance, no one is going to give up a draft pick for him at that contract.

More importantly, why would a team give up a draft pick for a player that could be released anyway? Other teams are waiting for the Bills to blink.

I can almost guarantee that Schobel asked to be released, but the Bills said no. Hence the reason Schobel will sit out until the very last minute (or retire).

bflojohn
06-11-2010, 04:19 PM
It would not suprise me if Schobel told the Bills through his agent that he's had enough of the losing, didn't want to go about the business of rebuilding, and simply wanted out! If he is the class act some here paint him as, he probably did this around the time of the draft. In my mind, Buddy Nix really believes that Schobel can still play and help them WIN, this season, so when his $6 million contract wasn't palatable to other franchises in April, the Bills addressed the issue, earlier in March, by saying that he has football left in him, and hence, he can return to Buffalo if he wants. The "demands" of allowing him to jet back and forth between Buffalo and his home where neccessary in his mind to continue with his career. The equation is fluid though, and as training camp looms, the situation becomes different for both parties. Do the Bills wait, do they cut him, do they go to him with a proposed deal that has stipulations about his contract (salary reduction)?? The likelihood that he walks away from the huge contract in Buffalo ultimately will give him pause, and I believe he plays for the Bills this season. To me, the business of football during the offseason is all we have here! Welcome to Posturing 101......

tat2dmike77
06-11-2010, 04:30 PM

I said this to my dad last night except i called it a Michael Strahan. But Schobel is no Strahan and doesn't have that kind of pull.

I will say that the Bills should not release him until he offically files his paperwork for retirement.

tat2dmike77
06-11-2010, 04:34 PM

Plus he has had the last 4 years of camp Jauron and he knows through other players that Gailey and Co. don't mess around at camp.

Joe Fo Sho
06-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Have you ever heard Schobel speak?? He sounds more ignorant than McKelvin... He can go to hell for all I care, I don't see him having a good year on this team in a 3-4 anyway.

X-Era
06-11-2010, 06:13 PM

So, he doesn't want to do any preparation for the season? On a new team with a new HC, all new schemes, and a whole new position?

Pass.

Buddo
06-11-2010, 06:37 PM
In just about any other year, Schobel has earned the right to some leeway. This year, with the switch in system, is far too important for it to be given. Call it bad timing, but it is the reality.
Part of the problem also, is that Schobel himself, has taken too much time to make any sort of decision.
If he had decided to come in for a couple of OTAs, got a playbook and shown that he will be capable of getting it down, then he might have managed to regain some leeway. As he hasn't, nobody knows how he will fare for sure, although if being asked to rush the passer, you would have to feel he will get that without too much trouble. Unfortunately, for the sort of money he is due, just providing pass rush, isn't acceptable.
I don't see this coaching staff, being so irresponsible, as to let Schobel just rock up and play (or at least try to).
The other aspect of it all, is the one that says there is no I in Team, and Gailey etc. have been working hard to get that over. Schobel then getting preferential treatment, could have an adverse effect upon that message.

Turf
06-12-2010, 12:57 AM
If his heart isn't in it which it hasn't been he will not be 100% committed. I wouldn't even listen to what he has to say.

TigerJ
06-12-2010, 07:11 AM
In my opinion, the change to 3-4 means the old Front 7 are all in danger of being phased out in a couple of years. I can see they get rid of Schobel (if he comes back), Kelsay, Ellis next year. Stroud is seeing the writing on the wall and I'm glad he takes the route of fighting for it. Still I see they get his replacement next year.

I can see why the Bills didn't just dump the lot of them when they changed over. That's just too much personnel to be able to change that quickly. And I agree that the older players like Stroud and Kelsay really have the odds stacked against them as far as trying to stick around for a long time. However, for guys like Ellis, everything depends on what they can do on the field. The Bills expect Maybin to step up because he is a recent high draft pick, but there's always a chance that Ellis (certainly not a low draft pick) might really blossom in this defense. If He does, maybe he'll be around a lot longer than you think.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-12-2010, 08:34 AM
I can see why the Bills didn't just dump the lot of them when they changed over. That's just too much personnel to be able to change that quickly. And I agree that the older players like Stroud and Kelsay really have the odds stacked against them as far as trying to stick around for a long time. However, for guys like Ellis, everything depends on what they can do on the field. The Bills expect Maybin to step up because he is a recent high draft pick, but there's always a chance that Ellis (certainly not a low draft pick) might really blossom in this defense. If He does, maybe he'll be around a lot longer than you think.

Maybin has talent, but he needs time. Most people I know think it will take him standard 3 years to have significant impact. In that regard, it is quite debatable whether it was wise for the Bills to draft him last year at that spot (scheme wise, coaching wise ...). None of that matters now. He is a Bill. He has a coaching drooling first step and overall quickness. He has, at so far, a good work ethics. I myself can attest from watching him in camp and games that he is genuinely excited to play on every snap. He still needs to get stronger and his body is still filling out. The coaches can add more moves to him. The new 3-4 requires him to study the game more and recognize plays better.

Ellis on the other hand, showed none of this. Ellison is simply to small.

TigerJ
06-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Yeah on Ellison. He's a marginal player anyway, on top of being a poor fit for the 3-4.

Ebenezer
06-12-2010, 07:04 PM
...he doesn't want to play for a team that hasn't made a serious run at 8-8 in years and looks to be winning three games at best...he is just trying to push the blame for his being traded onto the Bills to keep himself looking good...the guy has never really done anything to hurt the team...trade him to Houston, Dallas or Arizona tomorrow and be done with him.

Ground Chuck
06-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Schobel has been a good soldier for many years here. He doesn't really fit in a 3-4 and doesn't want to play linebacker. It's not his style to pull a public Favre and demand anything.

I respect Aaron and wish him well. Wish we had more like him

BertSquirtgum
06-12-2010, 09:16 PM
...he doesn't want to play for a team that hasn't made a serious run at 8-8 in years and looks to be winning three games at best...he is just trying to push the blame for his being traded onto the Bills to keep himself looking good...the guy has never really done anything to hurt the team...trade him to Houston, Dallas or Arizona tomorrow and be done with him.
i cannot believe people actually believe that this team is capable of only winning three games. that in itself is mind boggling. this team isn't a super bowl contender but they are not terrible.

edit: good luck trading him for an 8 pack of pencils. better off releasing him. no value there.

HHURRICANE
06-13-2010, 10:54 AM
This guy got a case of the lazy's the minute we overpaid him on his extension.

267 to 245 was basically his way of saying that I'm not working out in the off-season.

I hate the guy's attitude, he's selfish, not a leader, and I hope he gets mowed over by a wild Buffalo in bum **** Nebraska or wherever the hell he lives.

Making his situation comparable to Strahan's is laughable. Schobel isn't even on the same planet as far as talent. Also listening to him being second behind Bruce Smith is also laughable because I can still remember all of the games that Bruce single handedly took over games.

Name one with Schobel.