PDA

View Full Version : Why not try

bflojohn
06-12-2010, 04:28 PM
A bonified playoff run right now! Hear me out on this (and I am NOT advocating the idea) but historically, this has been done before by both the 70's Redskins and the Saints for Ricky Williams. The Bills would simply NOT do this type of complete "all in" venture IMO. What if the Bills, looking at a 2011 lockout and a completely unknown for 2012 and beyond, where to mortgage their 2011 draft for the chance to compete this year with proposed trades being done before the start of training camp on July 29th. Think of this, and it is only a model for enhancing the talent on this team at critical positions.
1.) Trade a 2nd rounder in 2011 for WR Vincent Jackson.
2.) Trade a 3rd and a 4th for OLT Jammal Brown.
3.) Trade for OLB Shawne Merriman by shipping SS Donte Whitner and a 6th round pick.
Remember, this is just for conversation's sake seeing "everyone" wants to win NOW!! Would the proposed trades help? Any changes or additions you would make? Yes, I know George Allen has passed.....Mike Ditka on the other hand!!

BILLSROCK1212
06-12-2010, 04:48 PM
never happening with Buddy Nix in charge, although I wouldn't exactly complain

Johnny Bugmenot
06-12-2010, 05:00 PM
1. Those trades would never happen.
2. They tried getting Ditka. They tried getting Shanahan and Cowher. The fact is, Chan Gailey was the best coach that was willing to come here, and that's not good.
3. I do believe in "win now," but this team doesn't seem willing to do it, nor able.

Beebe's Kid
06-12-2010, 06:34 PM
1. Those trades would never happen.
2. They tried getting Ditka. They tried getting Shanahan and Cowher. The fact is, Chan Gailey was the best coach that was willing to come here, and that's not good.
3. I do believe in "win now," but this team doesn't seem willing to do it, nor able.

I missed when the tried to land Ditka, when was that?

You know Chan Gailey is not good, how? They haven't played a game with him as the coach.

Buddy Nix builds teams by making great picks, teams don't "win now" by pissing away their draft picks on aging veterans.

With the possible exception of Jackson, who doesn't seem to be a team player, these trades, in my opinion, don't put us any closer to winning than further developing what we have.

I know there are a lot of GM's on this board, and a lot of people who "know" all kinds of things, but the truth is, this team is different than last year, and we are all going to have to wait to see if that is good/bad/indifferent.

Getting rid of draft picks is never a good idea.

jamze132
06-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Like those 3 players would even get us to .500.

:rofl:

justasportsfan
06-12-2010, 07:11 PM
you're still missing a qb.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-13-2010, 08:05 AM
Is this for Madden?

Johnny Bugmenot
06-13-2010, 08:07 AM
You know Chan Gailey is not good, how? I didn't say HE wasn't good-- the jury obviously hasn't even begun deliberating on him yet. I said the fact that Chan Gailey was the best coach this team could lure wasn't good, reflecting poorly on the team's ability to draw proven talent to the coaching position, not so much on Gailey's coaching acumen himself.

tampabay25690
06-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Like those 3 players would even get us to .500.

:rofl:

I think we can still be .500 this year....
Hey were undefeated right now.......

YardRat
06-13-2010, 08:41 AM
1) I'm OK with our WR's right now. Need to find out what Hardy and Johnson can contribute at some point, and early reports on Easley have been good. Would've preferred to keep Reed over Parrish, but what the hell.

2) We need an LT, regardless of whether the goal is winning now or in the future. Hopefully a trade for Brown or Gaither can still be accomplished.

3) We could use an OLB, but Merriman is too old and too expensive...I'd pick him up if he were a FA, but not wasting a pick and player on him. Counting on Maybin and other young guys to step up, and who knows maybe Kelsay will even be able to contribute.

HHURRICANE
06-13-2010, 10:42 AM
The Bills are at a minimum two years away from having anything that resembles a playoff team and that is only if players like Maybin, Spiiler, and Easley actually have the impacts here that we think.

The Bills should have kept Peters and the o-line intact and moved on the D like they are doing now. This team was not that far away but the cheap wad owner is going to stay as far below the cap as humanly possible.

And if anyone isn't sure this team is getting ready to be sold just look at the front office. This is why the owner is spending nothing.

YardRat
06-13-2010, 11:56 AM
And if anyone isn't sure this team is getting ready to be sold just look at the front office. This is why the owner is spending nothing.

Doug Whaley's working for free? Cool.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey were undefeated right now....... We're also winless.

bflojohn
06-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Guys, same old thing going on here! Take some time with the theory presented and play General Manager. If you think I was aiming this as a solution it just wasn't.... it's offseason and the fact remains that the Bills have some areas to shore up prior to camp. Everyone here is their own little G.M., so give it an effort! If you want to make your scenario as "real world" as possible, then bang away!!!

Typ0
06-13-2010, 04:16 PM
The thing that always gets me is just because people's perceived perfect trades aren't happening they assume the organization isn't trying to make trades that upgrade the team.

jamze132
06-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Hey were undefeated right now.......
Those roses must be in full bloom...

OpIv37
06-13-2010, 09:12 PM
I seriously doubt we will have a team after 2012, so with that bleak assessment in mind, I'm not opposed to mortgaging the future and trying to win now. This may be our last shot.

However, if the team really will be moving after 2012, ownership will want to avoid future liabilities to make the team more attractive to potential buyers/investors. Hence, big moves are unlikely.

In a more practical sense, I don't think it would work anyway. First, I don't think Whitner is trade bait, even if coupled with a draft pick. Second, we just don't have the talent at QB right now. Adding Jackson and a LT would certainly help Edwards (or whoever ends up starting), but I think Edwards would still suck behind the AFC's starting Pro Bowl team. Third, we need to fix the NT situation to be competitive against the run.

OpIv37
06-13-2010, 09:16 PM
The thing that always gets me is just because people's perceived perfect trades aren't happening they assume the organization isn't trying to make trades that upgrade the team.

It's their job to make trades, not to TRY to make trades.

Other teams have no problems upgrading positions or stockpiling draft picks via trades. What's Buffalo's excuse?

If the team can't make trades, it's because the FO has done such a piss-poor job of drafting that we don't have anything other teams need/want.

I have said on this board many times that Bills fans have accepted mediocrity, and this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. You are attempting to give the FO credit for MAYBE trying UNSUCCESSFULLY to make trades. That's absurd.

It's time to stop giving this FO credit for effort and start holding them accountable for results.

PromoTheRobot
06-14-2010, 09:41 AM
I missed when the tried to land Ditka, when was that?

Right after Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi turned us down.

PTR

PromoTheRobot
06-14-2010, 09:43 AM
It's time to stop giving this FO credit for effort and start holding them accountable for results.

Maybe we can hold them accountable after they been on the job for more than a few months? I know they haven't made the playoffs yet but how about letting them play a few games first? :zonelunch

PTR

OpIv37
06-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Maybe we can hold them accountable after they been on the job for more than a few months? I know they haven't made the playoffs yet but how about letting them play a few games first? :zonelunch:

PTR

Ralph
Overdorf
Modrak
Brandon

All are still here. All are a big part of the failures over the last decade. All were involved in selecting the current crapload of players that can't be traded (except maybe Overdorf).

This is how the organization has duped the fans for the last decade. We change coaches and GM's. The fans say "well they don't need to be held accountable yet- they're too new. Give them time." It buys them 2 years where no one expects results. Then for the next year or two, the team sucks and the fans *****, so they fire the coach and maybe the GM and buy 2 more years where no one expects results.

It's old. It's really ****ing old.

Stewie
06-14-2010, 10:32 AM
The Bills are at a minimum two years away from having anything that resembles a playoff team and that is only if players like Maybin, Spiiler, and Easley actually have the impacts here that we think.

The Bills should have kept Peters and the o-line intact and moved on the D like they are doing now. This team was not that far away but the cheap wad owner is going to stay as far below the cap as humanly possible.

Peters has been the worst starting LT in the NFL since he went to Philly. We got good value for him.

OpIv37
06-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Peters has been the worst starting LT in the NFL since he went to Philly. We got good value for him.

I'd take Peters over Bell or Meredith any day.

Even if you take the view that the Peters situation reached a boiling point and there was no way to work things out, it's yet another example of the Bills only completing half the equation. They got rid of a "problem" player but failed to replace him with something equal or better.

PromoTheRobot
06-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Ralph
Overdorf
Modrak
Brandon

All are still here. All are a big part of the failures over the last decade. All were involved in selecting the current crapload of players that can't be traded (except maybe Overdorf).

This is how the organization has duped the fans for the last decade. We change coaches and GM's. The fans say "well they don't need to be held accountable yet- they're too new. Give them time." It buys them 2 years where no one expects results. Then for the next year or two, the team sucks and the fans *****, so they fire the coach and maybe the GM and buy 2 more years where no one expects results.

It's old. It's really ****ing old.

Opi, you are the reigning king of S.O.S. around here. It's obvious you love it because any normal person who feels like you wouldn't keep subjecting themselves to it.

PTR

OpIv37
06-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Opi, you are the reigning king of S.O.S. around here. It's obvious you love it because any normal person who feels like you wouldn't keep subjecting themselves to it.

PTR

I don't love it.

I love this team, and I wish things were better, but the reality is that this organization is a disaster. And since it's reality, I'm willing to accept it no matter how unpleasant it may be.

justasportsfan
06-14-2010, 12:29 PM

PTR

Misery loves company.

OpIv37
06-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Misery loves company.

I don't know how anyone who calls themselves a fan could be anything but miserable over the results this team has produced for the last decade.

justasportsfan
06-14-2010, 12:41 PM
I don't know how anyone who calls themselves a fan could be anything but miserable over the results this team has produced for the last decade.

stay miserable all you want. Some of us have ways to enjoy football anyways.

OpIv37
06-14-2010, 12:58 PM
stay miserable all you want. Some of us have ways to enjoy football anyways.

yeah and that makes no sense. By definition, fans can't enjoy losing.

Most of those ways of "enjoying" football mean ignoring reality.

justasportsfan
06-14-2010, 01:14 PM
yeah and that makes no sense. By definition, fans can't enjoy losing.

Most of those ways of "enjoying" football mean ignoring reality.

Nothing is ever perfect but we find ways to enjoy. Not everything thats fun has to make sense.
All you do is compalin about the sand in your vagina.

OpIv37
06-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Nothing is ever perfect but we find ways to enjoy. Not everything thats fun has to make sense.
All you do is compalin about the sand in your vagina.

Again, making it about me.

No one expects perfection, but I don't see anything wrong with expecting better than a 10 year playoff drought.

justasportsfan
06-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Again, making it about me.
No one expects perfection, but I don't see anything wrong with expecting better than a 10 year playoff drought.

because all you do is whine and cry and expect the rest of us to feel like you do. Miserbale. Sorry. Win or lose we still enjoy football. It might not make sense to you because you feed off your misery.

OpIv37
06-14-2010, 01:28 PM
because all you do is whine and cry and expect the rest of us to feel like you do. Miserbale. Sorry. Win or lose we still enjoy football. It might not make sense to you because you feed off your misery.

no, I feed off winning and when the team goes so long without winning, then it's a source of misery. Once again, I don't understand how anyone who claims to be a fan can enjoy a loss. It's counter-intuitive. There is nothing fun or enjoyable about losing in any, way, shape or form.

justasportsfan
06-14-2010, 01:35 PM
no, I feed off winning and when the team goes so long without winning, then it's a source of misery. Once again, I don't understand how anyone who claims to be a fan can enjoy a loss. It's counter-intuitive. There is nothing fun or enjoyable about losing in any, way, shape or form.
nobody enjoys a loss but the experience outweighs everything else.

Do you think the Pinto guy goes through all of that just to be miserable? Na, he has fun no matter what.

I try to have fun no matter what the situation I'm in. I can only control what I can control.

OpIv37
06-14-2010, 01:48 PM
nobody enjoys a loss but the experience outweighs everything else.

Do you think the Pinto guy goes through all of that just to be miserable? Na, he has fun no matter what.

I try to have fun no matter what the situation I'm in. I can only control what I can control.

Well, the tailgate parties are always fun but some of us don't live close enough to regularly partake.

bflojohn
06-14-2010, 10:07 PM
and so it goes...OpIv37 and justasportsfan sharing their useless little sessions at everyone's expense! You two needed to meet and settle this, yikes it is OLD!!!

Spiderweb
06-16-2010, 10:50 PM
A bonified playoff run right now! Hear me out on this (and I am NOT advocating the idea) but historically, this has been done before by both the 70's Redskins and the Saints for Ricky Williams. The Bills would simply NOT do this type of complete "all in" venture IMO. What if the Bills, looking at a 2011 lockout and a completely unknown for 2012 and beyond, where to mortgage their 2011 draft for the chance to compete this year with proposed trades being done before the start of training camp on July 29th. Think of this, and it is only a model for enhancing the talent on this team at critical positions.
1.) Trade a 2nd rounder in 2011 for WR Vincent Jackson.
2.) Trade a 3rd and a 4th for OLT Jammal Brown.
3.) Trade for OLB Shawne Merriman by shipping SS Donte Whitner and a 6th round pick.
Remember, this is just for conversation's sake seeing "everyone" wants to win NOW!! Would the proposed trades help? Any changes or additions you would make? Yes, I know George Allen has passed.....Mike Ditka on the other hand!!

Humm, something tells me old A.J. Smith may not go for #1, & #3......