PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: A new spin on Ellison

Ebenezer
06-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Forked from: A new spin on Schobel (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3254253)

Yeah on Ellison. He's a marginal player anyway, on top of being a poor fit for the 3-4.

I get that Keith Ellison isn't exactly the best player on the planet but why all the hate on him (and I am not singling out TigerJ)? Is it the guys fault that he was drafted, worked hard, made the team and stuck through all the crap of the past years? I give the guy more kudos than anything. If he truly sucks as bad as people seem to think then the fact that he made it in the NFL speaks volumes. It's not like he held the Bills hostage.

BertSquirtgum
06-12-2010, 08:05 PM
oh my god. he is so ****ing bad. he keeps making the team because our linebacking corps have been so pathetic........the bills have no other choice to keep a bum such as ellison. i love when he makes the tackles after the running back has already gained 7 yards. that's swell.

Ebenezer
06-12-2010, 08:21 PM
oh my god. he is so ****ing bad. he keeps making the team because our linebacking corps have been so pathetic........the bills have no other choice to keep a bum such as ellison. i love when he makes the tackles after the running back has already gained 7 yards. that's swell.
I'm not stupid...I never said he was the second coming of Lawrence Taylor...but to rag on him is completely misplaced.

YardRat
06-12-2010, 08:45 PM
i love when he makes the tackles after the running back has already gained 7 yards. that's swell.

This thread is about Ellison...If you want to talk about the POS, I would suggest forking it off again.

BertSquirtgum
06-12-2010, 08:49 PM
they both do. it also doesn't help them when the defensive line is pushed 5 yards back but ellison is very bad all around. much worse than poz. poz is an average linebacker and ellison should be on the practice squad.

YardRat
06-12-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm not stupid...I never said he was the second coming of Lawrence Taylor...but to rag on him is completely misplaced.

Most fans expect more out of a starting LB than a skill level equivalent to an adequate back-up.

Yes, he was drafted. Yes, he shows up for 'work' and plays when asked. I don't think anybody has been ragging on him for his effort. He just doesn't have the talent (or size with the switch to a 4-3) to be as effective or productive as most would like.

Ebenezer
06-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Most fans expect more out of a starting LB than a skill level equivalent to an adequate back-up.

Yes, he was drafted. Yes, he shows up for 'work' and plays when asked. I don't think anybody has been ragging on him for his effort. He just doesn't have the talent (or size with the switch to a 4-3) to be as effective or productive as most would like.
granted...but listen to how people talk and read what they post...to them this guy is a criminal. hell, I'll take him over the CEO of BP anytime.

X-Era
06-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Forked from: A new spin on Schobel (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3254253)

I get that Keith Ellison isn't exactly the best player on the planet but why all the hate on him (and I am not singling out TigerJ)? Is it the guys fault that he was drafted, worked hard, made the team and stuck through all the crap of the past years? I give the guy more kudos than anything. If he truly sucks as bad as people seem to think then the fact that he made it in the NFL speaks volumes. It's not like he held the Bills hostage.
I get your point... why be-grudge a guy who has worked hard and has tried to rise to the situation every time his name has been called? The problem isn't his, its his talent level or lack thereof. He has the heart and has played those games, and put in his time, and gave his best. His best isn't good enough. He has been anywhere between awful to at best average. That's not good enough. Not on this sub-par team, not anywhere. I don't blame him personally. Just like I don't blame Corto, or Digiorgio...

There are scores of players who are good guys with lots of heart but who just will never make it in the NFL. Ellison is in that mix IMO.

I didn't hate that a guy named Ellison had to start so man y games for us the past years. I hated that we had no better option... and then watched sub-par line-backing because we had no better option.

Ellison, IMO, needs to go, not because of anything he did, but because he isn't good enough and the Bills should a) realize that, and b) rectify the situation with a vet or two who could start if needed...

Luckily, we have added the type of vets we have needed for years at LB in Davis and now Torbor.

This squad now has Torbor, Mitchell, Poz, Maybin, Davis, and the rookies Batten and Moats... That means we arent starting UDFA's like Digi or Corto... and to me thats a step in the right direction.

Its nothing personal on Ellison, its a desire to get better, and sorry, he needs to go.

X-Era
06-12-2010, 09:05 PM

One more thought.

It could be that we could deal with him as a backup who starts in a few games. But not as our multi-year permanent starter the way he has been... Maybe its how much were forced to play him, not what he is as a backup LB per-say.

YardRat
06-12-2010, 09:07 PM
granted...but listen to how people talk and read what they post...to them this guy is a criminal. hell, I'll take him over the CEO of BP anytime.

True...but lack of production will bring out those comments. Says nothing about Ellison as a person, but is more a reflection of his abilities.

mightysimi
06-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Do you think that at his size he can actually make this team? I see him being on the outside looking in.

Jan Reimers
06-13-2010, 07:58 AM
It's not just Ellison. We do it with anyone from Corto to Evans and Whitner. If you're a low draft pick or a UDFA, you get no credit for busting your butt and making the team. If you're a high pick and work hard, but never become a superstar, you're a bum and a bust.

Nothing less than perfection gets rewarded here.

HHURRICANE
06-13-2010, 10:46 AM

The problem is that everyone here is sick of the "little engine that could" players that this team falls in love with.

The irony is that look at how many players have got cut from this team only to end up never playing again in this league. Hell, Josh Reed could only get a one year deal and he was one of our more consistant players on offense.

If Ellison got cut tommorrow he would be out of the NFL. Fact.

Ebenezer
06-13-2010, 03:20 PM
The problem is that everyone here is sick of the "little engine that could" players that this team falls in love with.

The irony is that look at how many players have got cut from this team only to end up never playing again in this league. Hell, Josh Reed could only get a one year deal and he was one of our more consistant players on offense.

If Ellison got cut tommorrow he would be out of the NFL. Fact.
then turn the venom towards the team - not the player.

jamze132
06-13-2010, 06:06 PM

You could say that for about 40 players on our roster.

Dick and Co. never got the best out of the majority of players they drafted. Here's hoping that Gailey can unleash any potential that may be there.

realdealryan
06-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Been said...but Ellison's game is completely different if we have a d-line that can occupy blockers and not force our linebackers into the 7-yard tackle game.

Ellison isn't going to get a tryout anywhere that his brother isn't playing and will likely be in the UFL after we cut him, though, IMO.

Nighthawk
06-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Ellison has stayed on the team because Dickey was a nice guy and "liked" him...not because he was any good...that is why it bothers so many people. Hopefully, this new staff will cut loose the garbage (i.e. - Ellison, Kelsay, McCargo...etc) and move on from a horrible stretch for this franchise.

OpIv37
06-13-2010, 09:05 PM

Ellison is a liability on the field. He's too small to be a LB and would be a STer or maybe a practice squad guy on probably 20 other teams.

This organization has a bad habit of letting players go and attempting to replace them with their back ups or late-round rookies, and Ellison is the most obvious embodiment of that misguided philosophy. Is it Ellison's fault that the org was dumb enough to use him to replace Spikes and Crowell? No. But on game day, it's #56 out there making mistakes.

The fact that Ellison is on the team at all has nothing to do with him working hard. It has to do with Buffalo being a completely dysfunctional organization.

And moving forward, he's a bad fit for the 3-4.

Oaf
06-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Ellison was respectable last year. On the other hand, Mitchell was not.

Nighthawk
06-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Ellison was respectable last year. On the other hand, Mitchell was not.

No, he wasn't. Making tackles 10 yards down field does not constitute being a respectable LB.

justasportsfan
06-14-2010, 12:06 PM
No, he wasn't. Making tackles 10 yards down field does not constitute being a respectable LB.
the sad part is that inspite of that, he was the best lb'er prior to his injury.

Nighthawk
06-14-2010, 12:23 PM
the sad part is that inspite of that, he was the best lb'er prior to his injury.

True enough...he still sucks and I want him off my team. I think Poz was better then him...though.

billz83
06-14-2010, 04:31 PM
only reason hes still on this team is because this team is the BUFFALO BILLS! the only team in the NFL that would employ WORTHLESS players that are GARBAGE! look at our OLINE..our QBz..our WRz.. and it goes onn..switched to a 3-4 and ignored the NT position...how could ellison be on the BILLS?! same way that FITZpatrick is or the majority of the scrubs on our Oline are..because wilson is the CHEAPEST owner in the nFL and doesnt want to pay for talent.