PDA

View Full Version : Schobel's retirement talk not resonating

HHURRICANE
06-13-2010, 11:04 AM
This sums it up nicely!!

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/category/_/name/buffalo-bills

Schobel's retirement talk not resonating
June, 11, 2010 Jun 1110:33AM ETEmail Print Comments9 By Tim Graham

Will the Buffalo Bills miss Aaron Schobel? Will their fans?

Schobel has been to a pair of Pro Bowls and is second only to Bruce Smith on the Bills' all-time sacks list. But when the veteran defensive end told the Buffalo News and Associated Press he was leaning hard toward retiring at the age of 32 and with four years left on his contract, the development was met in Buffalo with a shrug.

I spent Friday morning on Buffalo sports-radio station WGR, where morning host Jeremy White called Schobel a "forgettable figure" within the Buffalo sports scene, "registering a point-zero on the reaction meter."

Schobel is a talent, but his decision to walk away -- if he sticks with it -- doesn't resonate for a few reasons.

Schobel didn't connect with Bills fans. He never played on a team good enough to reach the playoffs and didn't pull off any signature plays. He was a reluctant interview subject, making him tough to know.

We're not sure how Schobel would've fit into the team's new 3-4 defense under head coach Chan Gailey and defensive coordinator George Edwards. Schobel would move from a hand-on-the-ground defensive end to a standup outside linebacker with increased pass-coverage responsibilities.

But it sure seems odd that Buffalo's best defender for years has announced a reluctance to continue despite plenty of years to give, yet so few seem to care.

MikeInRoch
06-13-2010, 11:15 AM
It doesn't seem odd. It unfortunately reflects the intelligence of much of the fan base.

Commissioner
06-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Yeah... I'll miss Schobels couple games a year where he gets all his sacks, and disappears the rest of the season.

If he doesn't want to play.... adios pal.

casdhf
06-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Sad day. I can't think of a single Bill who has performed better over the last 10 years.

YardRat
06-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Such is the life of the best window-licker on the short bus.

Regardless of where Schobel stacks up in the record book re: sacks...

Bruce Smith
Phil Hanson
Marcellus Wiley
Leon Seals
Art Still
Ben Williams
Ron McDole
Harry Jacobs

...are guys I would rank 'better' than Schobel from a team history perspective.

Typ0
06-13-2010, 02:34 PM
He could have been a very good player on a better team with the pieces in place...however this team doesn't have the pieces in place now either and I can't blame him for sitting down or trying to get on a better team. It's his body and his career...

better days
06-13-2010, 02:44 PM

Bruce Smith
Phil Hanson
Marcellus Wiley
Leon Seals
Art Still
Ben Williams
Ron McDole
Harry Jacobs

I think you have McDole rated too low. He should be #2 behind Smith. He not only played GREAT for 8 years for Buffalo, but then deemed too old by the Bills, he joined the Redskins "Over the Hill Gang" & played well for another 8 years for them.

Canadian'eh!
06-13-2010, 03:09 PM
If Schobel wanted to play, then a trade or release would be needed. He does NOT fit into a 3-4 scheme. He is far too limited athletically to play OLB.

I'm guessing the Bills are banking on him retiring so they don't have to pay him anything, as opposed to if they owe him anything if released.

I'm sure he won't be playing for the Bills this year. If he plays at all.

cpearl
06-13-2010, 03:25 PM
I'd even add Bryce Paup to that list.

Spiderweb
06-13-2010, 03:36 PM

Bruce Smith
Phil Hanson
Marcellus Wiley
Leon Seals
Art Still
Ben Williams
Ron McDole
Harry Jacobs

You made a few mistakes....

Wiley had basically one solid season with the Bills. Leon Seals was undersized and was not worthy of a top five ranking, may be not even a top ten.

Here's a proper (top 5, limited to DE's and based on impact, not just sacks) list:

Bruce Smith
Ron McDole
Phil Hansen
Ben Williams
Aaron Schobel

YardRat
06-13-2010, 05:33 PM
I think you have McDole rated too low. He should be #2 behind Smith. He not only played GREAT for 8 years for Buffalo, but then deemed too old by the Bills, he joined the Redskins "Over the Hill Gang" & played well for another 8 years for them.
I didn't rank them in any particular order, but if I were to I'd agree with you--he's right up there with Hansen at least, most likely higher.

Bruce Smith
Ron McDole
Phil Hanson
Ben Williams
Harry Jacobs
Marcellus Wiley, Art Still, & Leon Seals
Aaron Schobel

more cowbell
06-13-2010, 05:36 PM
I think most people could care less that hes retiring because we know he would be gone in a season or two anyway considering the youth movement this team is enduring

jamze132
06-13-2010, 06:04 PM
The only reason Schobel has for playing again is $20m owed to him on the remainder of his contract. In no way, shape, or form will he be worth what he would make while transitioning to a 3-4. I am hoping he retires, he has missed a lot of valuable time from the OTAs.

better days
06-13-2010, 11:30 PM
The only reason Schobel has for playing again is $20m owed to him on the remainder of his contract. In no way, shape, or form will he be worth what he would make while transitioning to a 3-4. I am hoping he retires, he has missed a lot of valuable time from the OTAs.

I don't know for sure, but he may have to repay the $2m he already received if he retires.

BertSquirtgum
06-14-2010, 12:36 AM
you guys see any resemblance here?

http://o.aolcdn.com/art/sportsdata/nfl/players/hs_5493.jpg http://www.nonnamary.it/disney/dumbo.jpg

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-14-2010, 06:41 AM
It sucks what constant losing does to your morale.

ddaryl
06-14-2010, 07:37 AM
It doesn't seem odd. It unfortunately reflects the intelligence of much of the fan base.

WTF?

The guy was average on the majority of his best days... Solid but not a all-pro or a hall of famer. He never carried the team and he rarely ever made game changing plays... I mostly remember opposing teams QB's having an hour to get rid of the ball on most days

I completely agree with the article... Schobel is a very forgettable figure... Compare Schobel with the list of great DE's and he doesn't even come close to cracking that list.

FOr you to insult those of us who actually watch this team and follow it thorugh the years is rediculous. I've never been a big fan of Schobel and have been waiting for the BIlls to upgrade him for 5 + years. A solid DE is not a all-pro and all non all-pro players mostly fade away when there time is done, as will Schobel.

Schobel is a solid player he was never a dominate one... AND THAT IS FACT...

EDS
06-14-2010, 08:04 AM

Bruce Smith
Phil Hanson
Marcellus Wiley
Leon Seals
Art Still
Ben Williams
Ron McDole
Harry Jacobs

Leon Seals and Marcellus Wiley? Not even close.

Romes
06-14-2010, 08:40 AM
He was unlucky that he followed Bruce Smith. I think thats a big reason he was under-appreciated.

madness
06-14-2010, 09:50 AM
I've seen plenty of game changing plays from Schobel.. unfortunately one of the worse offenses in the league over the past eight years didn't know how to capitalize on a single one of them. The only gripe I have with Schobel (which can be put on the whole team just the same) is that he was terribly inconsistent. He could dominate one week and straight disappear the next.

Schobel is a different cat
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/users/photos/000/084/774/family_photo_crop_18x18.jpg?1260205581
by Paul Kasprzak (http://bleacherreport.com/users/84774-paul-kasprzak)
<small>Contributor</small> Written on June 12, 2010

WGR’s Joe Buscagalia penned a nice article on how he and probably many others feel about the situation with defensive lineman Aaron Schobel.
However, what people need to remember Schobel is a different cat compared to most National Football League players.
A good example of his attitude is when he wanted his contract redone.
Instead of griping within the media about wanting a new contract Schobel made his thought only known to the Bills front office and attended all organized team activities while negotiations were on going.
So, with Schobel’s recent comments that it is up to the Bills to decide I wouldn’t doubt that Schobel has quietly be known to the Bills to trade him or he will retire.
Also, Schobel very rarely has talked to the media.
In the end, unusal is just the way Schobel is.

MikeInRoch
06-14-2010, 10:09 AM
WTF?FOr you to insult those of us who actually watch this team and follow it thorugh the years is rediculous. I've never been a big fan of Schobel and have been waiting for the BIlls to upgrade him for 5 + years. A solid DE is not a all-pro and all non all-pro players mostly fade away when there time is done, as will Schobel.

Are you implying that I'm *not* one who "actually watches this team"? Please.

The guy was on of our most solid defenders for the last decade. Fans that don't realize that aren't paying enough attention.

MikeInRoch
06-14-2010, 10:10 AM
And yes, the Bills fan base is largely wrong most of the time. We still have a ton of people who think Flutie was a god send, after all.

OpIv37
06-14-2010, 10:12 AM

The guy was on of our most solid defenders for the last decade. Fans that don't realize that aren't paying enough attention.

yeah but that's like being the fastest sprinter at fat camp.

Schobel was a slightly above average player who stood out because, other than the two dominant D's in '03 and '04, he was on a team that was way below average.

BertSquirtgum
06-14-2010, 11:50 AM

and how bad were our teams over the past 10 years? that's not saying very much.

Novacane
06-14-2010, 09:13 PM
yeah but that's like being the fastest sprinter at fat camp.

:rofl: Great analogy!

paranoid
06-14-2010, 09:20 PM
I thought that he'd been "leaning hard toward retirement" for months now. Why does Graham expect jaws to drop now with Schobel's half-hearted ("may come back later") retirement statement? I suspect that many Bills fans have been inoculated since early spring about this.

bflojohn
06-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Strictly my opinion, but here goes... first and foremost, it seems to me that Aaron Schobel will be a guy who goes down in Buffalo Bills history as one of the most "unknown" people ever to don the uniform. Something tells me that he probably was a Pro's Pro, and his comment that he would come back IF the Bills needed him this season are indications to me that he cared!! He always was the player other teams had to gameplan for throughout this decade, as he was one of the consistant threats on defense, game in and game out! I personally think that this attention ultimately lent itself to the notion that he didn't produce in crunch time. Well, how often did he actually have those types of moments this decade? Not many would be my assessment! As an examle, how many game winning kicks has Rian Lindell been called upon to kick in the dying moments? Again, NOT many! He was the face of this defense for 9 years, and even though most would color that as faint praise, he did produce 2 Pro Bowls and 78 sacks in his career in Buffalo. From my side of the fence, thanks Aaron, and have a happy and productive life away from football.

BertSquirtgum
06-14-2010, 10:48 PM
**** you aaron. man up and retire.

Buffalogic
06-15-2010, 05:00 AM
It's sad how Schobel gets absolutely no credit on these boards. If he played for 10 years on a team that wasn't a pile of crap he would be a household name. Instead, he was loyal to Buffalo, resigned, and played his entire career as a Bill. And all he gets it's people dogging on him left and right. He was a second round pick from Texas Christian.....

The bills problem over the last ten years wasn't Schobel. Their problem was they didn't have enough guys on the team like Aaron Schobel.

BertSquirtgum
06-15-2010, 09:13 AM
people are dogging him because he is pulling a brett favre and isn't even a millimeter in a foot close to brett favre status. he needs to decide whats he's doing so the bills can move on.

OpIv37
06-15-2010, 09:29 AM
It's sad how Schobel gets absolutely no credit on these boards. If he played for 10 years on a team that wasn't a pile of crap he would be a household name. Instead, he was loyal to Buffalo, resigned, and played his entire career as a Bill. And all he gets it's people dogging on him left and right. He was a second round pick from Texas Christian.....

The bills problem over the last ten years wasn't Schobel. Their problem was they didn't have enough guys on the team like Aaron Schobel.

Schobel actually was part of the problem. He was one of these slightly above average guys that the Bills tried to use as stars. He was a serviceable player but has always been inconsistent, and some Bills fans overrate him because he stood out in a sea of mediocrity.

He's had doubts about whether or not he wanted to keep playing since 2008 and it's hurt his work ethic. In addition, by being indecisive he "earned" a $2 million roster bonus, and now he's making it difficult for the Bills to plan for the future because he won't make a decision. I can't blame him for being disgruntled with an organization that wasted his entire career because they couldn't pull their heads out of their asses, but that is no excuse for how poorly he is handling this situation.

Time for Schobel to **** or get off the pot. He needs to get his ass on the field or get his ass back to Texas because this limbo nonsense isn't helping anyone (well, except Schobel's bank account).

Buffalogic
06-15-2010, 03:04 PM
people are dogging him because he is pulling a brett favre and isn't even a millimeter in a foot close to brett favre status. he needs to decide whats he's doing so the bills can move on.
He's not pulling a Brett Favre because he's not talking about himself or his retirement every damn day.

He's earned the right in my book to skip OTA's lol.

BertSquirtgum
06-15-2010, 03:08 PM
the point of the matter, is that the sh**head, should let the bills know whether or not he's going to be showing up for mandatory workouts. instead of sitting down in texas tying his ears in bow ties.

Mr. Pink
06-15-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't see how any of this should be a problem.

As soon as the move was announced to the 3-4, Schobel should have been one of the first guys shown the door.

chernobylwraiths
06-16-2010, 06:52 AM
I think most people could care less that hes retiring ...

I know I could.

Harry Jacobs was a linebacker.