PDA

View Full Version : Meredith finding a comfort zone

justasportsfan
06-14-2010, 09:20 AM
“Last year calling plays on the line you have to know the terminology and since I came late I didn’t know all the terms, but Eric Wood helped me out a lot,” said Meredith. “But now I feel a lot more comfortable because I’m in the playbook early. I get the materials the same as everyone else at the same time and I like the offense.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Meredith-finding-a-comfort-zone/abc98e53-af3f-43b1-b74d-cbaa763fbb4f

THATHURMANATOR
06-14-2010, 09:24 AM
I wish this guy would step up and be decent!

WeAreArthurMoates
06-14-2010, 09:31 AM
We Jamon, Jamon, and I hope you like Jamon too.

OpIv37
06-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Well, Meredith is the new starting LT over Bell. Brown wouldn't be allowed to write this otherwise.

Pinkerton Security
06-14-2010, 09:36 AM
I wish this guy would step up and be decent!

i thought he was decent last year, especially for someone as young as him, and i think he will start for us this year and maybe years into the future.

TigerJ
06-14-2010, 10:52 AM
He admits to not being a great technician. I hope he's not satisfied with that.

DraftBoy
06-14-2010, 10:56 AM

Laziness was an issue with him while at South Carolina.

psubills62
06-14-2010, 10:57 AM

Yeah, me too. Though he also said that the coach wouldn't say Meredith is a good technician either. I have to assume that since both of them know it, it's something that they're working on.

Night Train
06-14-2010, 11:34 AM
and he still looked decent in his brief playing time last year. That's all I need to work with.

He's here putting in the work and that signals hope.

Ickybaluky
06-14-2010, 11:34 AM
I can't believe the Bills are thinking of starting Meredith or Bell at LT. They will get eaten alive. They must have something else planned and think they can pull off a trade for another OT at some point prior to the season.

I understand they didn't like their options for improving at QB, but they have to have something more planned for OL, especially OT.

OpIv37
06-14-2010, 11:36 AM
I can't believe the Bills are thinking of starting Meredith or Bell at LT. They will get eaten alive. They must have something else planned and think they can pull off a trade for another OT at some point prior to the season.

I understand they didn't like their options for improving at QB, but they have to have something more planned for OL, especially OT.

This is Buffalo, remember? It's perfectly acceptable to fill glaring holes with back ups or late round draft picks, or even UDFA's when necessary.

We drafted Wang in the 5th round.

Problem solved.

Patti120
06-14-2010, 01:15 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think they have anything else planned....

madness
06-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Meredith won't be starting over Bell. I'm not even sure Bell will be starting come opening day.

EDS
06-14-2010, 02:08 PM

I think the collective wisdom at One Bills Drive is that "at least it can't be as bad as last year."

I fully expect the Bills to go into next off-season searching for a long term solution at LT. That said, at least Bell and Meredith have a game or two each under their belts as opposed to last year where both had absolutely no business being on the field. Modest expectations I think are the most we can have at this point.

WeAreArthurMoates
06-14-2010, 02:41 PM

Jamon is much more talented than you assume. He's an athlete that's strong.

Ickybaluky
06-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Jamon is much more talented than you assume. He's an athlete that's strong.

He is a 5th round pick who has already been cut by once. Not for nothing, but if he is so talented why did he last until the 5th round and why did Green Bay cut him? The point isn't whether he has talent or not. Lots of guys have talent, that doesn't mean they can play. The point is they are relying on a couple guys who are unproven, and they have no veteran insurance.

Could one of them fill the role? Sure, but I can't believe they are relying on it. History says the chances aren't great and there will be growing pains even if it does. I mean, Jason Peters played RT first, and was eased into the position. He was brought along. I can't believe they don't have a veteran option as well, and if one of them beats him out... so be it.

If those guys are just learning the position, it is going to limit what the Bills can do offensively. They are going to have to cover up for those guys, and it is going to cost them. There are going to be mistakes. They have to have something else planned, like a trade for someone with more experience at the position. I realize they are limited at this point, but wouldn't a guy like Tra' Thomas have made sense?

ddaryl
06-14-2010, 03:42 PM
He is a 5th round pick who has already been cut by once. Not for nothing, but if he is so talented why did he last until the 5th round and why did Green Bay cut him? The point isn't whether he has talent or not. Lots of guys have talent, that doesn't mean they can play. The point is they are relying on a couple guys who are unproven, and they have no veteran insurance.

Could one of them fill the role? Sure, but I can't believe they are relying on it. History says the chances aren't great and there will be growing pains even if it does. I mean, Jason Peters played RT first, and was eased into the position. He was brought along. I can't believe they don't have a veteran option as well, and if one of them beats him out... so be it.

If those guys are just learning the position, it is going to limit what the Bills can do offensively. They are going to have to cover up for those guys, and it is going to cost them. There are going to be mistakes. They have to have something else planned, like a trade for someone with more experience at the position. I realize they are limited at this point, but wouldn't a guy like Tra' Thomas have made sense?

thanks, but you do realize that everyone here knows our situation and everyone here knows we have issues, and everyone here knows that this franchise doesn't have many options.

So exspect us to have some issues...

however this will be a test of Gailey's ability to coach the team to its strengths which obvioulsy won't be LT, QB, or WR

JCBills
06-14-2010, 03:44 PM
This is Buffalo, remember? It's perfectly acceptable to fill glaring holes with back ups or late round draft picks, or even UDFA's when necessary.

Problem solved.

You act like every winning team has LTs taken in the first two rounds, and that we're the only team that signs players that haven't had all-pro seasons or a name attached to them. Ridiculous.

JCBills
06-14-2010, 03:48 PM

There are so many players that stepped up in there second or 3rd season that your statement could apply to only to be dismantled shortly thereafter.

Also, Meredith has been semi-eased in despite being actually thrown in. On the team 3 weeks, starts vs. Jets, Carolina, plays well, continues to play well in limited snaps, completely dominates Indy's #2's (I know), which I'd say was a pretty good showing over those weeks, better than any other OT on the roster.

billz83
06-14-2010, 04:25 PM

Problem solved.

THIS IS THE ****** PROBLEM! and this wont stop till old man wilson is GONE! only team in the NFL that CONSTANTLY fills starting positions with a buncha SCRUBS, backups, and pathetic practice squad bums! what the hell is wrong with this organization?!sumone needs to punch onna them in the face and wake them the **** up!

JCBills
06-14-2010, 04:34 PM
THIS IS THE ****** PROBLEM! and this wont stop till old man wilson is GONE! only team in the NFL that CONSTANTLY fills starting positions with a buncha SCRUBS, backups, and pathetic practice squad bums! what the hell is wrong with this organization?!sumone needs to punch onna them in the face and wake them the **** up!

Lol? I bet everyone thought George Wilson was a scrub when they said he's going to be changing positions, or when they signed Peters as a UDFA and developed him, he was a scrub right? B. Scott, a scrub pickup by fan standards, played lights out in 2008, but he's just a bum right?

Every team signs and uses players that haven't already been to the pro bowl, a shocking reality to some.

delectrolux
06-14-2010, 04:38 PM
You act like every winning team has LTs taken in the first two rounds, and that we're the only team that signs players that haven't had all-pro seasons or a name attached to them. Ridiculous.

Seriously. Last year, the Saints (remember them, they won the SuperBowl) featured Jermon Bushrod at LT – the same Bushrod who had only been active TWO GAMES in the prior TWO SEASONS.

Opposite him, the Colts were working with Charlie Johnson, drafted 199th! He replaced Ugoh, who flopped after being chosen with the 42nd pick.

In 2007, the Giants won the Super Bowl with David Diehl, who finished the season with most sacks allowed. Hey wait, the Cards made it to the Super Bowl with Mike Fricken Gandy. They lost to the Steelers facing Max Starks with all of zero pro bowls to his name.

Obviously, the position is a cornerstone of the offense, but to get all hot and bothered by the draft round, or pro bowls, or any other meaningless indicator isn't worth your time...

delectrolux
06-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Lol? I bet everyone thought George Wilson was a scrub when they said he's going to be changing positions, or when they signed Peters as a UDFA and developed him, he was a scrub right? B. Scott, a scrub pickup by fan standards, played lights out in 2008, but he's just a bum right?

Every team signs and uses players that haven't already been to the pro bowl, a shocking reality to some.

Hey don't forget that washed-up never-was Fred Jackson!

EDS
06-14-2010, 04:55 PM

I think you are missing the point. No one would criticize the Bills or any other franchise having developmental prospects on the roster in reserve capacities. It is the fact that the Bills are relying on these very same developmental prospects to start which is the issue. None of Wilson, Scott or Peters were a day-one starter, for obvious reasons.

TigerJ
06-14-2010, 08:40 PM

I understand they didn't like their options for improving at QB, but they have to have something more planned for OL, especially OT.While all of us Bills fans are hoping Meredith/Bell is Buffalo's plan B, the fact is both of them playd the position last year. Bell fared pretty badly. It's probably fair to say he was eaten alive, to borrow your euphemism. Meredith fared slightly less poorly in the eyes of most of us. I don't think any of us are so naive as to think they won't struggle. However, I'm hopeful that with a year of experience and NFL level conditioning (which it appears we may now have) they might be a little better off than last season.

Goobylal
06-14-2010, 09:32 PM
While all of us Bills fans are hoping Meredith/Bell is Buffalo's plan B, the fact is both of them playd the position last year. Bell fared pretty badly. It's probably fair to say he was eaten alive, to borrow your euphemism. Meredith fared slightly less poorly in the eyes of most of us. I don't think any of us are so naive as to think they won't struggle. However, I'm hopeful that with a year of experience and NFL level conditioning (which it appears we may now have) they might be a little better off than last season.
At the last, zero penalties in 4 starts is impressive, especially for a rookie. Much less a rookie who wasn't familiar with the Bills' (dysfunctional) offense and line calls. As he said (in not exactly these words) he's working on his technique and knows he's not there yet.

Bell's problems are that he's weak and he's VERY inexperienced. He only started playing organized football in college.

Beebe's Kid
06-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Seriously. Last year, the Saints (remember them, they won the SuperBowl) featured Jermon Bushrod at LT – the same Bushrod who had only been active TWO GAMES in the prior TWO SEASONS.

Opposite him, the Colts were working with Charlie Johnson, drafted 199th! He replaced Ugoh, who flopped after being chosen with the 42nd pick.

In 2007, the Giants won the Super Bowl with David Diehl, who finished the season with most sacks allowed. Hey wait, the Cards made it to the Super Bowl with Mike Fricken Gandy. They lost to the Steelers facing Max Starks with all of zero pro bowls to his name.

Obviously, the position is a cornerstone of the offense, but to get all hot and bothered by the draft round, or pro bowls, or any other meaningless indicator isn't worth your time...

Uh oh, OP isn't going to like that...you are pointing out exceptions to his rule.

I guess I never spent a lot of time hanging out on other team's message boards, but are there as many Bill's fans on other teams' sites as there are opponent fans here?

This LT thing is overblown. LT's come out of nowhere all of the time. I'll trust Nix's eye for talent, before some sensationalist posters who complain constantly...about everything. I don't think we are exactly done addressing the position, but if we are, the right deal never presented itself for us to replace what we have. I am better with trying to develop our guys as opposed to blowing our load on some high paid LT.

I think I might even let the practice with pads on before I make up my mind.

Ickybaluky
06-15-2010, 05:50 AM
There are so many players that stepped up in there second or 3rd season that your statement could apply to only to be dismantled shortly thereafter.

Also, Meredith has been semi-eased in despite being actually thrown in. On the team 3 weeks, starts vs. Jets, Carolina, plays well, continues to play well in limited snaps, completely dominates Indy's #2's (I know), which I'd say was a pretty good showing over those weeks, better than any other OT on the roster.

The point isn't whether Meredith or Bell (coming off injury, no less) can play or not. The point is, they don't have any veteran insurance. I can't believe they are going into the season with those two guys and they didn't bring in a veteran. That is working without a net, IMO.

I can understand the decision they made at QB. You can't force that, and they didn't find one they liked. They are building through the draft, so they decided not to give up valuable picks for a veteran. I understand that.

They must have something else planned for LT. They must think they have a shot at Brown or some other vet, IMO, and are just waiting it out. Otherwise, they are taking a big gamble. Bell is coming off injury and Meredith is an unproven journeyman at this point. What if Meredith gets hurt? I don't see the plan there.

YardRat
06-15-2010, 06:24 AM
What if Meredith gets hurt?

Edwards and Carrington will fill in, and Op will have an aneurysm.

acehole
06-15-2010, 09:13 AM
I dont know...his name isnt penisy enough.....

Well, Meredith is the new starting LT over Bell. Brown wouldn't be allowed to write this otherwise.

Goobylal
06-15-2010, 10:26 AM
The point isn't whether Meredith or Bell (coming off injury, no less) can play or not. The point is, they don't have any veteran insurance. I can't believe they are going into the season with those two guys and they didn't bring in a veteran. That is working without a net, IMO.

I can understand the decision they made at QB. You can't force that, and they didn't find one they liked. They are building through the draft, so they decided not to give up valuable picks for a veteran. I understand that.

They must have something else planned for LT. They must think they have a shot at Brown or some other vet, IMO, and are just waiting it out. Otherwise, they are taking a big gamble. Bell is coming off injury and Meredith is an unproven journeyman at this point. What if Meredith gets hurt? I don't see the plan there.
I don't see how anyone who is or was available in FA like Adams or Thomas (who I thought I heard signed with the Raiders) would help them. If they were considered starting material (anymore), they'd have been snapped-up a long time ago. I think the plan was to try and swing a deal for Gaither or maybe someone else (Jammal Brown has too many injury issues) like Donald Penn from the Bucs. But I think that they're looking at a youth movement, except on defense where some experience will help with the transition.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Name me one, other than the New Orleans Saints (who just picked one this year), who hasn't.

JCBills
06-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Name me one, other than the New Orleans Saints (who just picked one this year), who hasn't.

Well for some recent ones, Pittsburgh, New York Giants, Tampa Bay.

JCBills
06-16-2010, 12:34 PM

If there was a viable vet option available, yeah this could stick, but there really isn't. Plenty of teams go into the season with question marks at different positions. If anything we're better off than we were last year now that both guys competing for the spot have some experience. I got to talk with Jamon a little bit, he's busting his ass right now. His take on it is that everyone is saying what you're saying, painting it very one sided. "Didn't address (insert position), still need a left tackle." Not every viable LT option in the league went from zero to starter quality right out of the box. I'm going to take the word of quality talent evaluators up in Buffalo over what the media thinks we need to do.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Well for some recent ones, Pittsburgh, New York Giants, Tampa Bay. You realize Tampa Bay sucks worse than Buffalo, right? The three teams you mentioned went 9-7, 8-8 and 3-13 last year respectively. Only Pittsburgh eked out a winning season of the three, and barely.

JCBills
06-16-2010, 01:14 PM
You realize Tampa Bay sucks worse than Buffalo, right? The three teams you mentioned went 9-7, 8-8 and 3-13 last year respectively. Only Pittsburgh eked out a winning season of the three, and barely.

Those are 3 teams that won the super bowl recently with mid round picks playing LT. I could have listed several winning teams that don't have high picks playing left tackle, but I figured the super bowl would be a better example. You said 1 team, so there's 3 recent ones with rings.

Goobylal
06-16-2010, 02:00 PM
If there was a viable vet option available, yeah this could stick, but there really isn't. Plenty of teams go into the season with question marks at different positions. If anything we're better off than we were last year now that both guys competing for the spot have some experience. I got to talk with Jamon a little bit, he's busting his ass right now. His take on it is that everyone is saying what you're saying, painting it very one sided. "Didn't address (insert position), still need a left tackle." Not every viable LT option in the league went from zero to starter quality right out of the box. I'm going to take the word of quality talent evaluators up in Buffalo over what the media thinks we need to do.
The Bills' LT position should be infintely better than last year, if for no other reason than I don't see them cutting the projected starter just days before camps starts. Much less promoting his backup, who was considered a project, had never played an NFL game before, hadn't gotten the starter's snaps anytime prior to being named starter, and who missed 2 weeks of camp and 2 pre-season games with an injury. Also, the OC'ing will be much better.

Goobylal
06-16-2010, 02:00 PM
You realize Tampa Bay sucks worse than Buffalo, right? The three teams you mentioned went 9-7, 8-8 and 3-13 last year respectively. Only Pittsburgh eked out a winning season of the three, and barely.
The Bucs weren't bad because of their LT.

OpIv37
06-16-2010, 02:08 PM
The Bills' LT position should be infintely better than last year, if for no other reason than I don't see them cutting the projected starter just days before camps starts. Much less promoting his backup, who was considered a project, had never played an NFL game before, hadn't gotten the starter's snaps anytime prior to being named starter, and who missed 2 weeks of camp and 2 pre-season games with an injury. Also, the OC'ing will be much better.

So we have the same players but we'll be infinitely better.

Makes perfect sense.

Goobylal
06-16-2010, 04:44 PM
So we have the same players but we'll be infinitely better.

Makes perfect sense.
If it were as simple as "the same players." :rolleyes:

The Bills won't have 3, sometimes 4, rookies starting on the O-line. Hangartner won't be playing between 2 rookies.

JCBills
06-17-2010, 10:15 AM

Dodged?

Those are 3 teams that won the super bowl recently with mid round picks playing LT. I could have listed several winning teams that don't have high picks playing left tackle, but I figured the super bowl would be a better example. You said 1 team, so there's 3 recent ones with rings.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Quoting yourself because I won't respond to it doesn't make me see your point any better. Tampa Bay last won the Super Bowl in 2002. Their opponent? That powerhouse franchise known as the Oakland Raiders. 2002 is ancient history. I granted your point. You have one, David Diehl, who was drafted as a guard for the Giants and moved to tackle later. They stumbled upon him and didn't expect him to be the franchise LT until he proved it (a la Jason Peters, except they actually paid Diehl). Max Starks was a third-round draft pick, still fairly high, not as high as first-round, but higher than any of the three on the Bills roster.

JCBills
06-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Quoting yourself because I won't respond to it doesn't make me see your point any better. Tampa Bay last won the Super Bowl in 2002. Their opponent? That powerhouse franchise known as the Oakland Raiders. 2002 is ancient history. I granted your point. You have one, David Diehl, who was drafted as a guard for the Giants and moved to tackle later. They stumbled upon him and didn't expect him to be the franchise LT until he proved it (a la Jason Peters, except they actually paid Diehl). Max Starks was a third-round draft pick, still fairly high, not as high as first-round, but higher than any of the three on the Bills roster.

Yep, but all of that means nothing. You said 1 winning team, so again, there's 3 with rings.

psubills62
06-18-2010, 11:40 AM

Saying "2002 is ancient history" doesn't negate JC's point. TB and Oakland may suck now, but they got to the playoffs and won in the playoffs to get to the SB that year. 2002 isn't ancient history enough that his point still rings true - a "top-flight" LT isn't always necessary to win the SB.

And if I remember correctly you specifically mentioned "1st and 2nd rounders," not just "whatever round is higher than what the Bills have." So Max Starks counts.

That's four total winners of the last 9 SB's (and I believe Indy's starting LT wasn't drafted very high this past year) that are counter to your point.

JCBills
06-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Saying "2002 is ancient history" doesn't negate JC's point. TB and Oakland may suck now, but they got to the playoffs and won in the playoffs to get to the SB that year. 2002 isn't ancient history enough that his point still rings true - a "top-flight" LT isn't always necessary to win the SB.

And if I remember correctly you specifically mentioned "1st and 2nd rounders," not just "whatever round is higher than what the Bills have." So Max Starks counts.

That's four total winners of the last 9 SB's (and I believe Indy's starting LT wasn't drafted very high this past year) that are counter to your point.

6th rounder Charlie Johnson replaced 2nd rounder Tony Ugoh.