Does Hangartner really get blown off the ball on the regular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Does Hangartner really get blown off the ball on the regular?

The title of this thread seems to be a very popular opinion around these parts.

Is it really true though??

I watched every game last year and while I never would say Hangartner is a pro bowler I certainly didn't notice him getting blown off the ball constantly as some around here would make it seem.

Thoughts?
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: Does Hangartner really get blown off the ball on the regular?

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
    The title of this thread seems to be a very popular opinion around these parts.

Is it really true though??

I watched every game last year and while I never would say Hangartner is a pro bowler I certainly didn't notice him getting blown off the ball constantly as some around here would make it seem.

Thoughts?
    I tend to agree with you...playing against big NTs like Kris Jenkins, Vince Wilfork etc I thought he did a pretty good job, I dont particularly remember any games where he was being spotlighted as being manhandled, but I also havent exactly scoured the game tape or anything. I think he is serviceable AT WORST, but is never going to be a real good player.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
      • Apr 2005

yes. especially against top level nose tackles he was completely abused. Hes serviceable, just not that good
      Last edited by FlyingDutchman; 06-15-2010, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

What FD said.

Those 3-4 NT's that terrorize us line up right in front of Hangartner. A big reason why we struggled against 3-4 teams is his inability to handle them.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
          Pinkerton's son
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
          yes. especially against top level nose tackles he was completely abused. Hes serviceable, just not that good
          but lots of centers get abused against stud NTs...is he good enough to get us through the season? the season after? or should we focus on getting a center next year? i know it kinda depends on what our other needs are and how he plays this year, but I just think he is a middle-of-the-road level center and we could do much worse.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

Wilfork and Jenkins consistantly beat most centers.

Is it maybe that he plays in a division of stud NTs?

I really don't have any problems with him as our starter. I don't see the need to bring in another guard and move Wood to Center at this point in time. I feel like we have much bigger holes like QB to worry about.

Comment

• Goobylal
              • Jan 2004

I read that he played with a bad back for most of the season.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

I really don't have any problems with him as our starter. I don't see the need to bring in another guard and move Wood to Center at this point in time. I feel like we have much bigger holes like QB to worry about.
                I agree with you that we have more pressing needs at the moment.

But the reality is that the Bills play in a division of stud NT's. If we can't find a center who can handle them, expect to be 2-4 or worse in the division every year. I can think of at least 4 more pressing needs for this team, but if the right opportunity for an upgrade comes along, the Bills better take it.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Philagape
                  WIN NOW
                  • Jul 2002

Being in a division with stud NTs should be motivation to seek the best interior line possible.
                  One would think.

Oh well, they're playoff teams and we're just the lowly Bills, so be it. Just enjoy life.
                  "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                  2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• madness
                    • Apr 2003

Hang was decent in pass protection and excelled in run blocking.

Three best developments
                    1. Secondary looks good. Jairus Byrd played great. Drayton Florence filled in superbly for injured Leodis McKelvin. The Bills are set in the defensive backfield.
                    2. The Middle Three got stout. Rookie guard Andy Levitre was the Bills' lineman of the year. Center Geoff Hangartner kept the AFC East defensive tackles out of the QB's lap. Eric Wood is a stud, and the Bills expect him to be fully healthy for next season.
                    Geoff Hangartner. Signed from Carolina last March, Hangartner made 16 starts at center for the team last year and was the only player to start every game at the same position. Gold star, Geoff. His play was dependable, if rather underwhelming. Still, offensive lines aren’t built around glitz and glamor, and Hangartner’s a pretty good football player. He’s a smart guy and a good technician, and he’ll be very valuable to this roster next season, even if circumstances put him in a reserve role or at a new position.
                    At center would be Geoff Hangartner, who played well last season as a starter after spending four years as a backup with Carolina.
                    The list goes on...
                    Last edited by madness; 06-15-2010, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                      but lots of centers get abused against stud NTs...is he good enough to get us through the season? the season after? or should we focus on getting a center next year? i know it kinda depends on what our other needs are and how he plays this year, but I just think he is a middle-of-the-road level center and we could do much worse.
                      agreed hes serviceable, but im all about moving a mauler like Wood there for good. Theres a lot of guys who could be just as serviceable if not better at guard than Hangartner was at center IMO

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                        Pinkerton's son
                        • Feb 2006

agreed hes serviceable, but im all about moving a mauler like Wood there for good. Theres a lot of guys who could be just as serviceable if not better at guard than Hangartner was at center IMO
                        ya i agree I'd love Wood at center.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by madness
                          Hang was decent in pass protection and excelled in run blocking.

The list goes on...
                          where are you getting that stuff from?

Comment

• madness
                            • Apr 2003

where are you getting that stuff from?
                            The internet.

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

I assume that the plan was to have Wood play OG his rookie year, and then move to center this year. The injury may have thrown that off somewhat, but seeing Wood taking snaps makes me think it's still in the works. That would put Hangman at OG. Would that be better for everyone?

Comment

Working...
                              X