PDA

View Full Version : On Marshawn Lynch...

X-Era
06-15-2010, 04:29 PM
I have been one of his biggest fans since before he was a Bill. I watched him at Cal, I wanted us to land him, and was ecstatic when we did.

Ive been behind him as a football player the entire time. I truly felt like I hadn't seen the attitude that he brings to the football field on every play since Kelly. I honestly felt like he was one of my favorite players on the Bills since the SB days.

After both his run-ins, I realized he was probably just immature and needed to simply grow up.

However, at todays press conference, I saw a guy that I don't want on this team. He acted like an arrogant thug. He clearly has little interest in playing in Buffalo and representing this blue-collar city, and small market team. Its a new team with a new HC who likes to run the ball. You would think any running back with as much supposed fire in his belly as Marshawn would seize the chance. Instead, he acts like a whiny baby. And worse, and arrogant, whiny baby.

Spiller has more potential than Marshawn did at this point. Freddy just manages to get it done. We are just fine with just them and don't need the poor attitude or approach to the new team that ThugMode brings. I'm just about done with Lynch's act. Trade his ass for something we can use like a LT or a pick.

I will hold out some amount of hope that he can turn himself around and become what we wish for... but that hope is virtually gone.

buffalobillsfan95
06-15-2010, 04:36 PM
the worse thing is that most of us on the board has a lynch jersey :sick:

ZAZusmc03
06-15-2010, 04:43 PM
I couldn't agree more. That conference was disgusting.

The last buffalo fan
06-15-2010, 04:51 PM
the worse thing is that most of us on the board has a lynch jersey :sick:

:rofl: No, I don't! :ill:

DraftBoy
06-15-2010, 05:00 PM
I just watched and came away with a completely different opinion of the press conference, I didnt much thuggery at all in that.

jamze132
06-15-2010, 05:16 PM
I think Lynch is listening to his agent too much. I think Lynch just wants to play some football but his confidence seems to be a little shot with being suspended and the drafting of Spiller. I am hoping that a veteran can pull him aside and let him know that Lynch is a damn good RB and we didn't draft Spiller with the intention of dumping Lynch. If anything, Spiller could replace Jackson in another season or two. Jackson hits 30 soon, and we know what that means for NFL RBs. I know he doesn't have all the wear and tear like most his age, but the point is moot.

If Lynch gets his act together and runs like he did when he first got here, he and Spiller could be deadly.

Yasgur's Farm
06-15-2010, 06:00 PM
I just watched and came away with a completely different opinion of the press conference, I didnt much thuggery at all in that.I agree... He may not necessarily see a way of reversing things in Buffalo... But he loves the game and that PC showed it. The hole he's dug is just about too deep... But I've climbed out of a few deep holes myself.

Goobylal
06-15-2010, 06:03 PM
The guy wants his chances to run the ball. Last year he got his starting gig taken away from him, but he didn't pout or create a problem. With the drafting of Spiller, he knows that carries will be even harder to come by, and is trying to make the best of the situation. But it's clear he's not unwilling to go elsewhere to play. Although I think you can say that about most Bills players.

X-Era
06-15-2010, 06:16 PM
“I would like for it to be that, but we live in a world where people are going to make up their mind and they have their opinions,” said Lynch. “Take your opinion, take it how you want to, but I’m going to be me whether you like it or not..."

Id like Lynch to be humble, accepting that he has made significant mistakes. Id like him to be a guy who was as eager as can be to get in and learn the playbook and who seizes the chance to be the starter... a guy who's excited about what the team could become and what his role could be.

Instead he stays away this whole time, and when he does show up, he basically tells us all to go stick it.

On a new team, with a new HC, coming off a sub-par year, and with multiple off-season mistakes? No thanks. He should have left and came back with a whole new attitude.

tat2dmike77
06-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Lynch has been a product of his on hype since he got to the NFL.

BEAST MODE MY ASS!

If he is such a beast then why is he not in the same class as Adrian Peterson? Oh that's right because he is all hype. And don't give me that Offensive Line excuse. Jackson got a grand last season and Lynch did the year before and lost his job last season because he didn't produce.

methos4ever
06-15-2010, 06:36 PM
I think we can agree to disagree. To me, my opinion as a fan really means nothing toward him - however, the fact that 2 guys off-camera (one being fred if I recognized the voice) and Mitchell coming on-camera to kiss him on the cheek tells me that as fans we may not like it, but he is a guy a lot of the players look to and look forward to playing with.

Goobylal
06-15-2010, 06:45 PM
I think we can agree to disagree. To me, my opinion as a fan really means nothing toward him - however, the fact that 2 guys off-camera (one being fred if I recognized the voice) and Mitchell coming on-camera to kiss him on the cheek tells me that as fans we may not like it, but he is a guy a lot of the players look to and look forward to playing with.
Yep, the players love him, even his main competitor, Fred Jackson. So he's not a divisive force, and on the contrary, players see him as an asset.

Frankly the off-field stuff has been blown out of proportion. I really don't give a you-know-what about the gun in the trunk of his car, and I find it ironic that his car was searched because he allegedly (never proven and hasn't failed a drug test that we know of) had pot, in a state that is on the verge of legalizing marijuana. And on a side note, if Cali does end up legalizing it, does that mean the NFL has to accept that and drop it from the banned substances list?

And as for the "hit and run," he was in a no-win situation, outside of admitting guilt. But there was/is NO evidence he knew he hit her, or even that he was drinking that night. But to most it doesn't matter.

justasportsfan
06-15-2010, 07:01 PM
I just watched and came away with a completely different opinion of the press conference, I didnt much thuggery at all in that.
I'm with you on that.

I guess people are pissed off at him that we try to find something wrong in what was said.

TacklingDummy
06-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Lynch is a dime a dozen type running back.

He's been nothing special his whole career.

He lacks vision, burst, stamina, and runs to contact, which leads to injuries.

TMu11
06-16-2010, 05:54 AM
I've hated Lynch since I met him a few years ago. I don't plan on wavering from my position either, especially with recent events

Buffalogic
06-16-2010, 06:43 AM
I'm ready to let him leave...Let all those guys leave who just wanna clown around and think they are better than they really are...cough Kawika cough Marshawn.

DraftBoy
06-16-2010, 07:23 AM
“I would like for it to be that, but we live in a world where people are going to make up their mind and they have their opinions,” said Lynch. “Take your opinion, take it how you want to, but I’m going to be me whether you like it or not..."

Id like Lynch to be humble, accepting that he has made significant mistakes. Id like him to be a guy who was as eager as can be to get in and learn the playbook and who seizes the chance to be the starter... a guy who's excited about what the team could become and what his role could be.

Instead he stays away this whole time, and when he does show up, he basically tells us all to go stick it.

On a new team, with a new HC, coming off a sub-par year, and with multiple off-season mistakes? No thanks. He should have left and came back with a whole new attitude.

Now keep in mind Im seperating the issues;

His off the field antics are inexcusable, and I wont defend him for those.

HIs attitude last year and him not showing till yesterday this year are also inexcusable and for those two reasons Id look to move him.

However, his PC yesterday didn't show me anything that made me want to move him anymore. I do think to some degree he is getting a bad wrap and Im probably part of the problem, making a bigger deal out of some of these things than I should. I think he is not good in front of a mic, and I think he is easily manipulated by people like his agent. I do think he just wants to play football, but Im not sure if he can do it here anymore.

Jan Reimers
06-16-2010, 07:41 AM
I still think he can be a real asset in a Chan Gailey run-oriented offense.

Criticizing his off-field problems is fine, but nit-picking his PC is a little over the top.

mybills
06-16-2010, 07:48 AM
He genuinely welcomed C.J.
He loves football.

Both are good in my book. :up:

madness
06-16-2010, 08:26 AM
All that PC showed was Marshawn's distaste for the media even though it's mostly his fault. Hopefully he finally has his head screwed on straight because whether people admit it or not, we need him on the field. Heck, even CJ and FJ want him there and know he's an integral part to this season's success. Lynch said it as best as he could, IMO... all he's worried about is inside the lines.

He was also asked if he feels he can ever get a fair shake in Buffalo again. Here was his response to that question.
“I would like for it to be that, but we live in a world where people are going to make up their mind and they have their opinions,” said Lynch. “Take your opinion, take it how you want to, but I’m going to be me whether you like it or not. You can say that you don’t like me from a distance. Most people that interact with me have a different feel. I take it with a grain of salt. As long as I get a fair shake inside these lines that’s all I’m really worried about.”

Jackson:
“I think things will work out for us this year and hopefully things can be put behind us and we can move forward and we can go out and get into the playoffs,” said Jackson. ”I think that’s what everyone is focused on now is making plays on this team. I think that’s why he’s back now. He wants to win too. I talked to him too and he told me he just felt like he needed to play football again and he needed to be back here and be part of a team.

CJ:
I always say I think every running back is very different. They bring something
totally different to the game and it's a good thing to have all three of us on
one team. I think we have the best backfield in the NFL with all three of us
here. We just have to continue to take it one day at a time and continue
building. It's going to take a team effort to win. You can have all the talent
in the world but you still have to have a team. Only teams win Super Bowls.

BertSquirtgum
06-16-2010, 10:40 AM
he said he was enjoy the off-season and as a 4th year player i can understand that. i just thought he should have been here to learn the new system. he is right though. it's the off-season and he didn't need to be here.

DraftBoy
06-16-2010, 11:18 AM
he said he was enjoy the off-season and as a 4th year player i can understand that. i just thought he should have been here to learn the new system. he is right though. it's the off-season and he didn't need to be here.

I disagree he needed to be here, but it was not mandatory that he had to be here.

HAMMER
06-16-2010, 11:22 AM
All will be forgiven the minute he plows over the goal line on 4th and 1 to win the game.

Griff
06-17-2010, 07:22 AM
All will be forgiven the minute he plows over the goal line on 4th and 1 to win the game.

more likely he runs into the first defender and we lose the game

DraftBoy
06-17-2010, 07:25 AM
more likely he runs into the first defender and we lose the game

BUT he'll fall forward! Unfortunately he'll still fall 2 yards short of the goalline.

methos4ever
06-17-2010, 07:29 AM
BUT he'll fall forward! Unfortunately he'll still fall 2 yards short of the goalline.
C'mon DB, of all the people that the Bills would use if they needed those yards, him or Fred now even would bowl the dude (or dudes in many cases) for the yardage. Just cuz he's a bonehead and a lug doesn't make it fair to dismiss his bulldozer-like approach as shotty!

:biggrin:

DraftBoy
06-17-2010, 10:36 AM
C'mon DB, of all the people that the Bills would use if they needed those yards, him or Fred now even would bowl the dude (or dudes in many cases) for the yardage. Just cuz he's a bonehead and a lug doesn't make it fair to dismiss his bulldozer-like approach as shotty!

:biggrin:

I didnt see a bulldozer approach last year in all honesty. I saw a guy who ran to contact and went down, he didn't break a lot of tackles and he certainly showed little effort to get the extra yards he fought so hard for his rookie season.

methos4ever
06-17-2010, 10:53 AM
I didnt see a bulldozer approach last year in all honesty. I saw a guy who ran to contact and went down, he didn't break a lot of tackles and he certainly showed little effort to get the extra yards he fought so hard for his rookie season.

I guess we'll agree to disagree then, because last year I saw a bit slower (weight) version of the same guy. He was battling on the field and I personally don't take too much stock in the 8-10 seconds they show on a tv being what he has or hasn't done the whole game. That's just me though I guess...

DraftBoy
06-17-2010, 10:58 AM
I guess we'll agree to disagree then, because last year I saw a bit slower (weight) version of the same guy. He was battling on the field and I personally don't take too much stock in the 8-10 seconds they show on a tv being what he has or hasn't done the whole game. That's just me though I guess...

We will because I saw a guy who lacked effort, passion, and looked disinterested in playing football last season.

ddaryl
06-17-2010, 12:01 PM
He didn't show up to OTA's

That after his off field incidences and his lack luster performance last year screams I don't care just show me my money and leave me alone because I'm too important to have ot deal with you fans who mean nothing to me.

Lynch is a POS and the sooner we can offload him for something half way decent the happier I will be....

The only way I would want Lynch here is if he shows up at OTA's voluntary and mandatory and then humbles himself in interviews appologizing for all the BS he has pulled since he has been here.

But he doesn't and I loathe the guy.... I can't stomach him at all... and he is nothing but a scumbag inner city gang banging loser

feldspar
06-17-2010, 12:42 PM
What did Marshawn do that was so bad, anyway? He was stupid more than anything not to get a permit to keep that gun in his car. People do that legally every day because they get the proper paperwork. To me, that's a technicality, and nothing to get excited over. The fact that he got a three game suspension over it is what upset me, not what he actually did.

The "hit-and-run" was blown out of proportion, too. It's very possible he didn't know he hit her. She had a bruised hip and seven stitches...not like he could have done anything but graze her. She wasn't hurt enough for criminal charges to be filed. Anyway, that was an accident. She'll probably see some money.

Why some people want to chase him out of town over these two minor things is beyond me. He's a very good addition to this team. BTW, I didn't see anything out of line with what he said in his interview. He's here to practice, and probably doesn't want to relive his mistakes every time someone talks to him.

justasportsfan
06-17-2010, 01:07 PM
What did Marshawn do that was so bad, anyway? He was stupid more than anything not to get a permit to keep that gun in his car. People do that legally every day because they get the proper paperwork. To me, that's a technicality, and nothing to get excited over. The fact that he got a three game suspension over it is what upset me, not what he actually did.
what he did is what got him the suspension.

Why some people want to chase him out of town over these two minor things is beyond me. He's a very good addition to this team. BTW, I didn't see anything out of line with what he said in his interview. He's here to practice, and probably doesn't want to relive his mistakes every time someone talks to him.
I'd rather keep him than trade him for a 4th or less if we are going to commit to the run. The better we run, the lesser it is for us to have to depend on the qb's we have who are going to go through learning curves.

Goobylal
06-17-2010, 01:17 PM
what he did is what got him the suspension.

I'd rather keep him than trade him for a 4th or less if we are going to commit to the run. The better we run, the lesser it is for us to have to depend on the qb's we have who are going to go through learning curves.
Goodell overstepped his bounds. The "hit and run" looked like all the world to be purely an unwitting/accidental striking (actually, grazing) of a pedestrian with no criminal aspect (no witnesses to him drinking, the videotape of the accident corroborated what he said happened and there was no quick getaway) to it. And for that, he got a traffic ticket. The gun was a mistake on his part and he got a misdemeanor with probation, which was punishment enough. Goodell just wanted to look tough and whip out his worthless personal conduct policy. The fact that these weren't repeat offenses (like with Roethlisberger) and that he didn't get his suspension reduced (unlike Marshall, who had repeated offenses), makes Goodell look like the joke he is.

justasportsfan
06-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Goodell overstepped his bounds. The "hit and run" looked like all the world to be purely an unwitting/accidental striking (actually, grazing) of a pedestrian with no criminal aspect (no witnesses to him drinking, the videotape of the accident corroborated what he said happened and there was no quick getaway) to it. And for that, he got a traffic ticket. The gun was a mistake on his part and he got a misdemeanor with probation, which was punishment enough. Goodell just wanted to look tough and whip out his worthless personal conduct policy. The fact that these weren't repeat offenses (like with Roethlisberger) and that he didn't get his suspension reduced (unlike Marshall, who had repeated offenses), makes Goodell look like the joke he is.

I don't care about what Godell did. If Lynch wasn't stupid to begin with, we wouldn't have this discussion.

Goobylal
06-17-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't care about what Godell did. If Lynch wasn't stupid to begin with, we wouldn't have this discussion.
True. But there's a difference between being stupid and being a criminal. There are a lot of stupid people I'd like to lock up or see punished, but that's unrealistic.

justasportsfan
06-17-2010, 02:46 PM
True. But there's a difference between being stupid and being a criminal. There are a lot of stupid people I'd like to lock up or see punished, but that's unrealistic.
I never said he was a criminal and should be locked up.

Goobylal
06-17-2010, 02:50 PM
I never said he was a criminal and should be locked up.
But he should be suspended?

justasportsfan
06-17-2010, 03:28 PM

he should act like he's being paid millions and should live his life accordingly.

DraftBoy
06-17-2010, 05:22 PM

Yes...do you think despite Big Ben not being charged with any crime he should not be suspended?

This is the way the new players conduct code work, Godell did not over step his bounds.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Marchawn skipped Thursday.

Goobylal
06-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Yes...do you think despite Big Ben not being charged with any crime he should not be suspended?

This is the way the new players conduct code work, Godell did not over step his bounds.
The difference is that Big Ben had a history of sexual misconduct, and he got away with punishment both times. Moreover no one was injured in Marshawn's pot and gun incident.

feldspar
06-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Bottom line IMO is that a lot of people are getting caught up in this ridiculous Marshawn Lynch hype. They draw conclusions about a guy they've never met...blah, blah, blah. He may be immature, but he doesn't deserve the negative publicity he's gotten here. I'd like to know why some people consider him a thug. I don't see it.

All this "off the field violations" crap is just that, crap. Bruce Smith lawyered himself out of several DWIs. Marvin Harrison was just pulled over with a gun in his car this week...he had a permit for it, but he lied that he had it anyway for some reason...plus, it looks like he was involved in shootings, ask me. The Bills' Super Bowl teams partied all the time. A buddy of mine ran into Bruce Smith in a strip club in Canada and said "hi, Bruce Smith." To which Smith replied F-you."

Lynch didn't hurt anyone. Let it go.

Don't put these guys on a pedestal, and there won't be so far to fall. Are they supposed to be perfect? You can't define a person by a couple of mistakes they made...if we did that, nobody would have a good reputation if we knew everything they did.

Goobylal
06-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Bottom line IMO is that a lot of people are getting caught up in this ridiculous Marshawn Lynch hype. They draw conclusions about a guy they've never met...blah, blah, blah. He may be immature, but he doesn't deserve the negative publicity he's gotten here. I'd like to know why some people consider him a thug. I don't see it.

All this "off the field violations" crap is just that, crap. Bruce Smith lawyered himself out of several DWIs. Marvin Harrison was just pulled over with a gun in his car this week...he had a permit for it, but he lied that he had it anyway for some reason...plus, it looks like he was involved in shootings, ask me. The Bills' Super Bowl teams partied all the time. A buddy of mine ran into Bruce Smith in a strip club in Canada and said "hi, Bruce Smith." To which Smith replied F-you."

Lynch didn't hurt anyone. Let it go.

Don't put these guys on a pedestal, and there won't be so far to fall. Are they supposed to be perfect? You can't define a person by a couple of mistakes they made...if we did that, nobody would have a good reputation if we knew everything they did.
As I've said before, I couldn't care less about the gun in the trunk of his car. It was a mistake, not Lynch ready to bust a cap in someone's ass. There is a time when the letter of the law needs to be invoked, and a time when the spirit needs to be taken into account. The gun laws were written for violent criminals, not a guy like Lynch. And as for the alleged pot, it troubles me that the cops would use that as an excuse to search the car, yet not even charge him with possession. So either they are not charging people will their full crimes, or, probably most likely, making (sh)it up. The fact that Cali will probably legalize marijuana makes it even more of a joke.

And as for the "hit and run," the only way that makes sense is if he was drunk and fled because he didn't want a serious charge against him. But I find it odd that a guy who was well-known to bar owners/workers for bringing his own alcohol into clubs, wasn't seen by ONE PERSON drinking that night. Moreover, the video footage of the accident didn't show him to be swerving or driving erratically, or stepping on the gas trying to flee the scene after hitting the woman. There was no attempt to hide his car. Or call or text anyone for advice. So did Lynch read the book on how to commit a drunk hit-and-run, get lucky that nothing incriminated him that night, or did it happen the way he said it did?

DraftBoy
06-17-2010, 07:33 PM
The difference is that Big Ben had a history of sexual misconduct, and he got away with punishment both times. Moreover no one was injured in Marshawn's pot and gun incident.

What charges was he ever convicted of? A guy who likes to have sex now has a history of sexual misconduct? Well **** I guess Im guilty of that as well.

If you believe Big Ben's versions then who did Big Ben hurt? He had sex with two women, and neither case it was considered rape.

The above statement is the exact mentality you are taking in terms of Lynch's actions.

feldspar
06-17-2010, 07:42 PM
As I've said before, I couldn't care less about the gun in the trunk of his car. It was a mistake, not Lynch ready to bust a cap in someone's ass. There is a time when the letter of the law needs to be invoked, and a time when the spirit needs to be taken into account. The gun laws were written for violent criminals, not a guy like Lynch. And as for the alleged pot, it troubles me that the cops would use that as an excuse to search the car, yet not even charge him with possession. So either they are not charging people will their full crimes, or, probably most likely, making (sh)it up. The fact that Cali will probably legalize marijuana makes it even more of a joke.

Actually, I think the gun law is a good one. Lynch should have been aware of it and gotten the correct permit. He could have, so it's not really a big deal in my book...plain and simple stupidity was what that was all about. I'm sure he never thought he would be caught with it, which was why he didn't fill out the proper paperwork. Tank Johnson got a massive bad reputation for doing similar things.

Don't care about pot. I used to smoke it all the time years ago. Alcohol is a lot worse for you in so many ways. IMO, you can use pot and it can actually help you as long as you don't abuse it.

And as for the "hit and run," the only way that makes sense is if he was drunk and fled because he didn't want a serious charge against him. But I find it odd that a guy who was well-known to bar owners/workers for bringing his own alcohol into clubs, wasn't seen by ONE PERSON drinking that night. Moreover, the video footage of the accident didn't show him to be swerving or driving erratically, or stepping on the gas trying to flee the scene after hitting the woman. There was no attempt to hide his car. Or call or text anyone for advice. So did Lynch read the book on how to commit a drunk hit-and-run, get lucky that nothing incriminated him that night, or did it happen the way he said it did?

Dude, I disagree about "the only way it makes sense." There are plenty of ways. I'm not naive enough to think that Lynch wasn't drinking, seeing where he was and what time of night it was. Let's just assume he was. That doesn't mean he knew he hit the woman, if his music was blaring and he BARELY hit her. Seven stitches is a simple cut, and a bruise is nothing...it hurts for a bit, but it's nothing. What I'm saying is that it's plenty possible that he didn't know that he grazed her.

I'm pretty sure that he was going extremely slow and barely hit her; otherwise, she would have gotten WAY more hurt than she was. She wasn't very hurt...you could get as hurt just falling down and scraping against the wrong thing.

But who knows how it happened? You will never know. He got a pretty good lawyer, I'll tell you that. I understand that it was the same lawyer that got Robert Blake off for shooting his wife...see, he couldn't have shot his wife because he was too busy going back into the restaurant to fetch his gun to have done so...this defense worked and got Blake off.

Anyway, she'll get plenty of money for what amounted to seven stitches. I heard about Lynch bringing in his own booze to clubs...that's bad, but who really cares? Should have had a few BEFORE he goes out, like me.

Bottom line is that whatever happened was an accident, and not a serious own by anyone's estimation...not even close to being serious.

Lynch may or may not want out of Buffalo because people don't want to forgive him for these MINOR offenses and want to define him by them. Can't say as I blame him, but people who care about the Bills are making a huge mistake IMO. The kid just turned 24 and he has A LOT to offer this team for years to come.

Don't judge somebody you don't know.

Goobylal
06-17-2010, 07:59 PM
What charges was he ever convicted of? A guy who likes to have sex now has a history of sexual misconduct? Well **** I guess Im guilty of that as well.

If you believe Big Ben's versions then who did Big Ben hurt? He had sex with two women, and neither case it was considered rape.

The above statement is the exact mentality you are taking in terms of Lynch's actions.
Both women (there was one last summer) claimed sexual misconduct, which is stopping short of calling it rape.

DraftBoy
06-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Both women (there was one last summer) claimed sexual misconduct, which is stopping short of calling it rape.

Claims mean nothing without evidence of such.

Im not defending Big Ben for the record, but Im showing the same mentality that many are taking about Lynch's off the field issues.

Goobylal
06-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Actually, I think the gun law is a good one. Lynch should have been aware of it and gotten the correct permit. He could have, so it's not really a big deal in my book...plain and simple stupidity was what that was all about. I'm sure he never thought he would be caught with it, which was why he didn't fill out the proper paperwork. Tank Johnson got a massive bad reputation for doing similar things.

Don't care about pot. I used to smoke it all the time years ago. Alcohol is a lot worse for you in so many ways. IMO, you can use pot and it can actually help you as long as you don't abuse it.
Yeah but pot is illegal. Except when it's needed to generate revenue. :rolleyes:

And again, the gun law was made for violent criminals. They could/should have recognized it was Lynch and given him a warning.

Dude, I disagree about "the only way it makes sense." There are plenty of ways. I'm not naive enough to think that Lynch wasn't drinking, seeing where he was and what time of night it was. Let's just assume he was. That doesn't mean he knew he hit the woman, if his music was blaring and he BARELY hit her. Seven stitches is a simple cut, and a bruise is nothing...it hurts for a bit, but it's nothing. What I'm saying is that it's plenty possible that he didn't know that he grazed her.

I'm pretty sure that he was going extremely slow and barely hit her; otherwise, she would have gotten WAY more hurt than she was. She wasn't very hurt...you could get as hurt just falling down and scraping against the wrong thing.

But who knows how it happened? You will never know. He got a pretty good lawyer, I'll tell you that. I understand that it was the same lawyer that got Robert Blake off for shooting his wife...see, he couldn't have shot his wife because he was too busy going back into the restaurant to fetch his gun to have done so...this defense worked and got Blake off.

Anyway, she'll get plenty of money for what amounted to seven stitches. I heard about Lynch bringing in his own booze to clubs...that's bad, but who really cares? Should have had a few BEFORE he goes out, like me.

Bottom line is that whatever happened was an accident, and not a serious own by anyone's estimation...not even close to being serious.

Lynch may or may not want out of Buffalo because people don't want to forgive him for these MINOR offenses and want to define him by them. Can't say as I blame him, but people who care about the Bills are making a huge mistake IMO. The kid just turned 24 and he has A LOT to offer this team for years to come.

Don't judge somebody you don't know.
I've thought about that "hit and run" a lot and the only plausible explanation that he may have "ran" is that he was drunk. If he was sober and knew he hit her, he would have stopped. But I can't claim he was drinking, much less drunk, without someone seeing him drink or show any signs of him drinking. This is not some unknown, shrinking violet; he's a star athlete is a small town bar with a history of bringing-in his own stuff. If he'd been drinking, someone would have seen it and reported it to the police.

And if he was drunk, I can't excuse the "he may not have known he hit her." Just like I don't excuse Stallworth for being drunk, but his victim being at fault for illegally crossing at a dangerous intersection. And just because her injuries weren't severe, it doesn't make it any less of a crime. If he knew he hit her and fled, it's a crime, period. But again there is no evidence he was drinking, much less drunk, and there were factors which would have prevented him from seeing and hearing her, and his actions following the incident didn't portray a guilty man.

Goobylal
06-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Claims mean nothing without evidence of such.

Im not defending Big Ben for the record, but Im showing the same mentality that many are taking about Lynch's off the field issues.
Well the problem in cases of rape is that it's often a "he said, she said" situation. And rape itself is way under-reported. But again, if Goodell's intention is to prevent players from repeat offenses, BR should have known better after what happened last year. In Lynch's case, he got a traffic ticket after a month-long investigation turned up nothing incriminating against him. So that can't even be considered a strike against him, yet Goodell used it as such. The alleged pot and gun in his trunk weren't harming anyone and he took his lumps for it. And the thing that gets me is that Goodell didn't offer to knock his suspension down by even a game, when he did that for Marshall (he got his reduced by 2 games, and he's doing the same for BR).

But Goodell's PCP has been a failure. If anything, player issues have increased under his watch, rather than decreased or even stayed the same.

justasportsfan
06-17-2010, 08:21 PM
I am not judging anyone as a human being based on their actions. But if they can't handle their lives in a higher standard which affect their ability to play for the team I root for, as a fan I don't want them on my team.

feldspar
06-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Yeah but pot is illegal. Except when it's needed to generate revenue. :rolleyes:

And again, the gun law was made for violent criminals. They could/should have recognized it was Lynch and given him a warning.

Nah, the law is the law for a reason in that area. While it may have been harmless in this case, you don't just pick and choose who to persecute in these cases. He could have done the exact same thing legally, but he chose not to. He deserved to get into trouble for it as much as anybody else, but he doesn't deserve to be demonized for it. He just didn't pay the fee and fill out the paperwork. Nonsense, yeah, but it's a law for a good reason. Like I say, no big deal, and it's stupid more than criminal.

Pot is legal sometimes, too. I suggest that anybody that has never smoked pot keep away from the discussion of it, especially since Lynch was never busted with it and has never tested positive. You'd think somebody would have tested him after the allegations. Plenty of players smoke up; Randy Moss readily admitted to it after being asked a simple question. If smoking pot makes you a "thug," then all hippies were thugs. Anybody who thinks such things should loosen their tie...not saying it's you...just talking.

I've thought about that "hit and run" a lot and the only plausible explanation that he may have "ran" is that he was drunk. If he was sober and knew he hit her, he would have stopped. But I can't claim he was drinking, much less drunk, without someone seeing him drink or show any signs of him drinking. This is not some unknown, shrinking violet; he's a star athlete is a small town bar with a history of bringing-in his own stuff. If he'd been drinking, someone would have seen it and reported it to the police.

And if he was drunk, I can't excuse the "he may not have known he hit her." Just like I don't excuse Stallworth for being drunk, but his victim being at fault for illegally crossing at a dangerous intersection. And just because her injuries weren't severe, it doesn't make it any less of a crime. If he knew he hit her and fled, it's a crime, period. But again there is no evidence he was drinking, much less drunk, and there were factors which would have prevented him from seeing and hearing her, and his actions following the incident didn't portray a guilty man.

What's all this "inexcusable" label I hear all over the place about what Lynch may or may not have done? What does this mean, that you can never forgive him? How many years does he constantly have to be labeled by this SINGLE act? Who ARE these people that are up there on their pedestal? I really don't get it.

Whatever he did, it WAS a crime, but it was minor. It WAS an accident. I assume he was drinking, just like I assume that 90-something percent of the people leaving the "drinking district" at 3 AM were also drinking. You do realize that there is nothing else to do there at that time, don't you? The girl that got hit was probably drinking, too.

No reason to assume anything about this incident. You can't prove he knew he hit her or not. You should at least consider the possibility that he didn't know it. what was the damage to his car? She could have gotten injured in any number of ways. 7 stitches and a bruise...think about it all you want, but you'll never know. Anyway, being in accidents don't make you a bad person.

Accidents happen.

feldspar
06-17-2010, 08:38 PM
I am not judging anyone as a human being based on their actions. But if they can't handle their lives in a higher standard which affect their ability to play for the team I root for, as a fan I don't want them on my team.

WTF makes you think that football players should be better people than you or I? Do you think that they are or should be? Or do you think that they should at least be able to effectively pretend to be? Fact is, a lot of these guys are just jerks, as much as they are anywhere else, or even more so. They are human beings...what do human beings do? Make mistakes...among other things. All depends on what labels you want to apply.

Maybe they can live their lives to "a higher standard" by actually forgiving themselves or other people...not defining somebody through one or two actions they don't agree with.

Goobylal
06-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Nah, the law is the law for a reason in that area. While it may have been harmless in this case, you don't just pick and choose who to persecute in these cases. He could have done the exact same thing legally, but he chose not to. He deserved to get into trouble for it as much as anybody else, but he doesn't deserve to be demonized for it. He just didn't pay the fee and fill out the paperwork. Nonsense, yeah, but it's a law for a good reason. Like I say, no big deal, and it's stupid more than criminal.
I've said in the past that he deserved to get the misdemeanor for it, but the cops could have just as easily let him go with a warning. Like it or not, certain people get the benefit of the doubt. And for a guy like Lynch, I'd rather not clog-up the legal system when the time and resources could be put to better use catching the real criminals.

Pot is legal sometimes, too. I suggest that anybody that has never smoked pot keep away from the discussion of it, especially since Lynch was never busted with it and has never tested positive. You'd think somebody would have tested him after the allegations. Plenty of players smoke up; Randy Moss readily admitted to it after being asked a simple question. If smoking pot makes you a "thug," then all hippies were thugs. Anybody who thinks such things should loosen their tie...not saying it's you...just talking.
Medical marijuana is legal in certain places. And I agree about him not testing positive for it, and along with the non-charge, make the allegation sound bogus. Again the irony is that Cali will probably make pot legal, not because it's harmless, but because they need money.

What's all this "inexcusable" label I hear all over the place about what Lynch may or may not have done? What does this mean, that you can never forgive him? How many years does he constantly have to be labeled by this SINGLE act? Who ARE these people that are up there on their pedestal? I really don't get it.

Whatever he did, it WAS a crime, but it was minor. It WAS an accident. I assume he was drinking, just like I assume that 90-something percent of the people leaving the "drinking district" at 3 AM were also drinking. You do realize that there is nothing else to do there at that time, don't you? The girl that got hit was probably drinking, too.

No reason to assume anything about this incident. You can't prove he knew he hit her or not. You should at least consider the possibility that he didn't know it. what was the damage to his car? She could have gotten injured in any number of ways. 7 stitches and a bruise...think about it all you want, but you'll never know. Anyway, being in accidents don't make you a bad person.

Accidents happen.
I've said repeatedly that he probably didn't know he hit her. But if he was drunk, his judgement was impaired. That is a crime. What he was actually charged with is an infraction. Because they couldn't even find anyone to say he was drinking or any other evidence to suggest he was, or knew he hit her. And yes I know what 90% of people are doing there. But it's still an assumption to say he was drinking, much less impaired, just like you're willing to assume he wasn't smoking pot in Cali since he hasn't failed a drug test.

And I don't think drinking and driving IS excusable. All it takes is one time to kill someone. If Lynch was impaired, he should thank his lucky stars that the victim wasn't seriously injured.

justasportsfan
06-17-2010, 09:18 PM
WTF makes you think that football players should be better people than you or I? Do you think that they are or should be? Or do you think that they should at least be able to effectively pretend to be? Fact is, a lot of these guys are just jerks, as much as they are anywhere else, or even more so. They are human beings...what do human beings do? Make mistakes...among other things. All depends on what labels you want to apply.

Maybe they can live their lives to "a higher standard" by actually forgiving themselves or other people...not defining somebody through one or two actions they don't agree with. they have to be better than you set by the NFL standards. Doesn't mean I am any better than they are. If what they do affects their ability to play because they were stupid then they have be responsible for their stupidity.

They have to handle themselves to a higher standard set by the NFL. If they don't agree to that then they can leave for the CFL or UFL.

BertSquirtgum
06-17-2010, 11:02 PM
marshawn should have been suspended for one game. gooddell is an absolute ******.

Goobylal
06-18-2010, 04:35 PM
marshawn should have been suspended for one game. gooddell is an absolute ******.
At most he should have been suspended for 1 game. But his "prior offense" looked, and was ruled, to be an accident. How can that be an offense?