PDA

View Full Version : Gailey likes the competition(s) brewing.

patmoran2006
06-16-2010, 03:00 PM
The Buffalo Bills continue to get their work in collectively as a team at OTA and following practice today, head coach Chan Gailey spoke to the media on a variety of topics, including the situation at running back and quarterback as well as Aaron Schobel, the offensive line and good competition at linebacker.

While Gailey will never be mistaken for Jim Mora or Dick Vermeil, his honesty and willingness provide detailed answers to questions is a far cry from the days of Dick Jauron. In fact, I can’t even explain the differences in words—kind of sad considering I’m a writer (of sorts).

Anyway, as expected a majority of the questions Gailey fielded centered around Marshawn Lynch and how the running back situation is expected to play out over the summer.

Naturally, Gailey is glad to have Lynch finally in camp, though he admits the beleaguered pro has plenty of catching up to do.

“We’re glad to have as many players as we can get,” Gailey told the media. “The more we work together, the better football team we are. So it’s always good to have a good football player back working on the football team.”

But again, Gailey reiterated that two practices with his teammates don’t have Lynch up to full speed.

“Both on the field and off the field he has some catching up to do,” he said. “But it seems like he’s a quick study. That’s what it looks like in my initial look at him. So I think he’ll be all right in that respect.”

Gailey admits he’s never had the luxury of having three talented running backs on the roster quite like this.

“I’ve never really been in this situation where we have three like this,” Gailey said. “But I certainly am looking forward to seeing how it all pans out because I think you have a chance to give defenses some real problems with that many good running backs and football players.”

When you have three talents like Fred Jackson, Lynch and first round draft pick C.J Spiller, the most glaring question is giving each of them enough touches to keep them happy and motivated to work hard. Gailey says that for the time being, it’s not something he’s concerned about.

“At this point it doesn’t matter. It only matters when we get to September,” he said. “So I’m not worried about finding out how to do that today. Let’s get everybody on the same page and get all of the basics down, be fundamentally sound. Then we’ll worry about all of that other stuff.”

On the quarterbacking front, Gailey maintains there will still be a competition to name a starter throughout training camp, though he said today for the first time that he’d like have a guy ready to work with the first team regularly, which he admits will give that person an advantage in the race for September.

“By the time we get to training camp we’ll have somebody that is going to work with the first group, somebody that’s going to work with the second group going in just because if it happens that way then you’ve got a leg up,” he said. “If you try to get everybody equal shots from the first day of camp then you’ll probably get nobody ready rather than getting three ready. So we’ll probably make some determination from this, decide for a lack of a better term a pecking order for camp and then go from there.”

“But it still will be open when we go to camp.”

Although Demetrius Bell is still not quite ready to work with the first team at left tackle as he continues to rehab his injury, he’s getting close and don’t automatically assume the team is going to go after Jared Gaither via trade or pursue a free agent like Flozell Adams.

Gailey likes Bell’s potential a lot.

“He’s an amazing athlete first of all,” he said. “Run, jump and change direction all of that was very good. He went in and played as rookie. He started as a rookie. You don’t know how hard that is especially at offensive line. And quarterback and offensive line may be the hardest places to start in this league as a rookie. And he went in and did that and held his own. Now, he made some mistakes and you hope the second year he doesn’t make those mistakes. But he is really a very good athlete.”

Lastly, when it comes to the probable retirement of Aaron Schobel, Gailey says the organization will continue their policy of leaving it in the ninth-year veteran’s hands.

“It’s up to him. He’s a good football player and has been a good football player in this league and in Buffalo for many years. I’d like for him to be on the football team but I understand his situation, too. I really do. That’s part of life.”

dasaybz
06-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Nice write up, thanks for the info.

EDS
06-16-2010, 03:50 PM
I guess Gailey didn't know Bell was not in fact a rookie last year.

patmoran2006
06-16-2010, 03:52 PM

yeah, that's not the first time he's said that either.

EDS
06-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Bell is actually surprisingly old given his level of experience. I didn't realize he was already 26 years old.

Nighthawk
06-16-2010, 04:37 PM
yeah, that's not the first time he's said that either.

Maybe he is talking about his second year starting...

jamze132
06-16-2010, 06:22 PM
I think Gailey and Nix understand they need to assess what they already have at QB and LT this season. If no one steps up, you know our biggest needs next offseason. IMO, they played this one smart. 2010 is a year to see who fits your scheme and whatnot and I would expect a rather large turnover next year.

mayotm
06-16-2010, 06:36 PM
I guess Gailey didn't know Bell was not in fact a rookie last year.For all intents and purposes, Bell was a rookie last year. He didn't play a single snap in 2008. I still think he has a chance to be a decent player. I've stated this in several posts in the past, but many of his mistakes were mental versus physical. The mental mistakes can be corrected. We'll see what happens.

TigerJ
06-16-2010, 08:01 PM
There was some typical "coach speak," but he certainly is more forthright in giving real information and real opinion than Jauron ever was. He didn't have to compare having Jackson, Spiller and Lynch on the same team with his other coaching experiences and he didn't have to opine that Lynch is a quick study. That much about Gailey is pretty refreshing.

JCBills
06-16-2010, 11:15 PM

Because he's really talking about Jamon Meredith :D

mightysimi
06-16-2010, 11:30 PM
The biggest difference between Gailey and Jauron is simple. Not once did Gailey refer to having to go look at the tape to figure something out.

Ed
06-17-2010, 04:55 PM
For all intents and purposes, Bell was a rookie last year. He didn't play a single snap in 2008. I still think he has a chance to be a decent player. I've stated this in several posts in the past, but many of his mistakes were mental versus physical. The mental mistakes can be corrected. We'll see what happens.
I still think he has a chance to be a good player too. And when we drafted him a couple years ago in the 7th, everyone around here seemed to agree that they really liked his potential, but he was still very raw and probably needed a few years. But our brilliant coaching staff from last year decide to make him the starter a week before the regular season of his second year. As expected he struggled at times because of his total lack of experience and as a result a lot of fans have turned on him now and think he's just another scrub.

HHURRICANE
06-18-2010, 07:58 AM
The problem remains the same. The QBs and RBs still have to play behind this crappy o-line. So whoever comes out on top willhave a long season ahead of them.

Talent is not going to create holes to run through or time in the pocket.

madness
06-18-2010, 08:20 AM
I think Gailey and Nix understand they need to assess what they already have at QB and LT this season. If no one steps up, you know our biggest needs next offseason. IMO, they played this one smart. 2010 is a year to see who fits your scheme and whatnot and I would expect a rather large turnover next year.

And they've already started the transition this year.... the Bills have one of the lowest retention rate (28th) since week 17 of last year.

jamze132
06-19-2010, 01:50 AM
And they've already started the transition this year.... the Bills have one of the lowest retention rate (28th) since week 17 of last year.
Well the only people that thought we had talent last year was Dick and Co., so it doesn't surprise me that Nix and Co. dumped half the organization.