PDA

View Full Version : NO's Jammal Brown to WAS?

methos4ever
06-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Adam_Schefter

Washington is trying to finalize a trade for Saints OT Jammal Brown. The trade is not believed to involve disgruntled DT Albert Haynesworth.

https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/16567118269

BILLSROCK1212
06-19-2010, 02:55 PM
few things piss me off as a Bills fan although basically everything should...this was an opportunity to improve our team and we blew it...unless we're gunna get Jared Gaither or not sold on Brown returning to tip-top shape (which i'm sure could be true) then we better be confident in what we have!! otherwise this is pathetic

Michael82
06-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Now this will piss me off! Why the hell wouldn't the Bills try to get him? :mad:

Goobylal
06-19-2010, 02:58 PM
few things piss me off as a Bills fan although basically everything should...this was an opportunity to improve our team and we blew it...unless we're gunna get Jared Gaither or not sold on Brown returning to tip-top shape (which i'm sure could be true) then we better be confident in what we have!! otherwise this is pathetic
Brown was nothing special to begin with, and his injury may be something he never gets over. Pass.

methos4ever
06-19-2010, 02:58 PM
https://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer/status/16567775011

I'm reporting saints are trading pro bowl tackle jamaal brown to redskins for conditional draft pick.

Michael82
06-19-2010, 03:03 PM
https://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer/status/16567775011
:fit:

JCBills
06-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Now this will piss me off! Why the hell wouldn't the Bills try to get him? :mad:

Every time a trade happens in the league everyone just assumes we did absolutely nothing. I'm not sure where in the two line report that info was hidden.

theanswer74
06-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Schefter says Brown would play RT.

YardRat
06-19-2010, 05:45 PM
OMG!!!! THE SAINTS ARE GOING TO PLAY A GUY AT LEFT TACKLE THAT WAS A FOURTH ROUND PICK AND ONLY PLAYED IN THREE GAMES PRIOR TO 2009???? WHAT A BUNCH OF DUMBASSES!!!

Tatonka
06-19-2010, 06:01 PM
how annoying is it that they would get him after just drafting trent williams in the draft too... must be nice to have jamal brown as a RT and back up LT.. effing aholes.

THRILLHO
06-19-2010, 07:32 PM
According to PFT, the skins are essentially moving down a bit in the draft to get this young tackle. Seems like we coulda had him? He may not be the best tackle in the league, but I am willing to bet he could beat out anyone on our line right now....

methos4ever
06-19-2010, 07:39 PM
how annoying is it that they would get him after just drafting trent williams in the draft too... must be nice to have jamal brown as a RT and back up LT.. effing aholes.
I guess Schefter is saying that they'd play Brown at LT and Williams at RT.

psubills62
06-19-2010, 09:22 PM
According to PFT, the skins are essentially moving down a bit in the draft to get this young tackle. Seems like we coulda had him? He may not be the best tackle in the league, but I am willing to bet he could beat out anyone on our line right now....

That's not what I read. The Redskins are, no matter what, giving up a 3rd and 4th rounder in 2011. However, depending on how McNabb does, the 3rd rounder may go to Philly or NO. If McNabb does really well, the 3rd will go to Philly, and the 4th will go to NO. If not, NO will get the 3rd and Philly gets the 4th. The Skins will receive a conditional late-rounder from NO, but will also owe NO a conditional 2012 6th rounder if Brown does really well.

If you want to call it moving down, sure, but they're essentially moving down from the 3rd and 4th rounds to just a single pick in the later rounds.

It's a price we definitely could have paid. Considering Buffalo was never rumored to have shown interest in Brown, you have to wonder how fit he is medically. I remember last year when everyone raved about the great Philadelphia Eagles OL, yet most of them ended up having injury or performance issues. We'll see.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Brown was nothing special to begin with, and his injury may be something he never gets over. Pass.
Hahahahahahaha.... oh, the apologists are hilarious!!!

OMG!!!! THE SAINTS ARE GOING TO PLAY A GUY AT LEFT TACKLE THAT WAS A FOURTH ROUND PICK AND ONLY PLAYED IN THREE GAMES PRIOR TO 2009???? WHAT A BUNCH OF DUMBASSES!!! They just drafted an LT in the second round of this past draft-- Charles Brown. Oh, and they already won a Super Bowl just a few months ago-- which is more than Buffalo has won, ever. So they can tear the team down for all I care.

Every time a trade happens in the league everyone just assumes we did absolutely nothing. I'm not sure where in the two line report that info was hidden. Well, consider the fact that Buffalo could've easily had their other pick, Trent Williams, with a trade of their #9 and a second for the 'Skins' #4, but by their own admission were too busy looking to trade down instead. This is a pattern. They clearly think that Bell and Meredith are NFL caliber left tackles (see, for instance, the list of other missed opportunities for getting a better LT that I mentioned in another thread).

Like I said before, just give it up, folks. This team has shown every indication that it wants one of these as their left tackle:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Turnstile.alewife.agr.jpg/220px-Turnstile.alewife.agr.jpg

Dying_-2-_Live
06-19-2010, 09:50 PM
I was hoping we would grab this guy... but Its ok I guess
We better hope Spiller is crazy quick. He's gonna need to speed to get WAY outside before the DE does

Goobylal
06-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Hahahahahahaha.... oh, the apologists are hilarious!!!

They just drafted an LT in the second round of this past draft-- Charles Brown. Oh, and they already won a Super Bowl just a few months ago-- which is more than Buffalo has won, ever. So they can tear the team down for all I care.

Well, consider the fact that Buffalo could've easily had their other pick, Trent Williams, with a trade of their #9 and a second for the 'Skins' #4, but by their own admission were too busy looking to trade down instead. This is a pattern. They clearly think that Bell and Meredith are NFL caliber left tackles (see, for instance, the list of other missed opportunities for getting a better LT that I mentioned in another thread).

Like I said before, just give it up, folks. This team has shown every indication that it wants one of these as their left tackle:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Turnstile.alewife.agr.jpg/220px-Turnstile.alewife.agr.jpg
It has to make you wonder when the Saints are willing to trade Brown for essentially nothing (a 3rd, much less a 4th, rounder isn't much for a "franchise LT"), and let Jermon Bushrod (an end-of-4th-round pick) or an unproven rookie be their starting LT. By all accounts, Bushrod was a liability and Johnson has serious concerns.

And I did a search prior to my last post and didn't see any post-season honors, but went back over some old mags and found he made the Pro Bowl twice. So he's better than I thought. But again, why the Saints would trade him is curious. And it wouldn't surprise me to learn that he didn't want to be traded to Buffalo, especially with Washington expressing interest.

Ickybaluky
06-19-2010, 11:17 PM
And I did a search prior to my last post and didn't see any post-season honors, but went back over some old mags and found he made the Pro Bowl twice. So he's better than I thought.

Ya' think? Outland Trophy winner in college and 13th overall pick in the draft. Pro Bowler as a pro. Yeah, he is pretty good, both as a run and pass blocker. He is a very large man (6-6, 315#) who is athletic.

That said, his value is hurt by two things. First, he only is under contract for one year (the high RFA tender) and wants to be paid big money. At 29 years old with some injury history (he tore muscles in his hip and had a sports hernia last year which caused him to miss the entire season). He is healthy now, but that is a risk.

I can see why Buffalo didn't want to surrender draft picks. They are team that wants to build through the draft, so trading away picks probably isn't something they want to do unless they are getting great value back. With Brown's contract situation and injury history, they obviously think he isn't worth the risk.

I think one of the most interesting things about the trade is Washington now has traded both their 3rd and 4th round draft picks next year (although they do get a late pick pack, and a 2012 4th for Jason Campbell). They are going to want to recoup at least one of those picks, so it seems to me the price is set for Albert Haynesworth.

Philagape
06-19-2010, 11:27 PM
The Nix/Gailey era may very well live or die on their apparent confidence in Bell and Meredith. Whatever they see in them, their future hinges on it. No more upside prospect crap; we need to see something from at least one of them this year, or the death watch begins.

BertSquirtgum
06-20-2010, 12:31 AM
if the bills traded for donald penn, would it shut some of you guys up?

Night Train
06-20-2010, 06:06 AM
The Nix/Gailey era may very well live or die on their apparent confidence in Bell and Meredith. Whatever they see in them, their future hinges on it. No more upside prospect crap; we need to see something from at least one of them this year, or the death watch begins.

I'm fine with that, pro or con.

You don't come in saying you're going to build through the draft, then start trading picks away for Vets with injury or age issues (short term solutions). The focus is long term towards building a solid foundation and having a consistently competitive team. I thought the key move recently was hiring Whaley from the Steelers as Asst. GM and the future replacement for Nix. The Steelers are a good model to follow. I figured many would miss the significance of this because it doesn't register a rating in a Madden game. :rolleyes:

The Bills have to play their picks and let them sink or swim, rather than blow $$ in FA with players who are out there for a reason ( usually a negative one ). Example... play Hardy and Steve Johnson this year and see what the hell you have at WR, outside of Evans. It also works for positions of weakness such as QB and LT but at least their trying to sort out the contenders from the pretenders...finally.

But let's just return to crying about bad moves made prior to this year, as if it means a ****ing thing to new faces like Gailey & his staff, Whaley etc. It no longer applies. We grade this admin. from this spring moving forward, like it or not... This mess will take time to turn around and trading away picks for Brown wouldn't make any sense.

Goobylal
06-20-2010, 06:09 AM
Ya' think? Outland Trophy winner in college and 13th overall pick in the draft. Pro Bowler as a pro. Yeah, he is pretty good, both as a run and pass blocker. He is a very large man (6-6, 315#) who is athletic.

That said, his value is hurt by two things. First, he only is under contract for one year (the high RFA tender) and wants to be paid big money. At 29 years old with some injury history (he tore muscles in his hip and had a sports hernia last year which caused him to miss the entire season). He is healthy now, but that is a risk.

I can see why Buffalo didn't want to surrender draft picks. They are team that wants to build through the draft, so trading away picks probably isn't something they want to do unless they are getting great value back. With Brown's contract situation and injury history, they obviously think he isn't worth the risk.

I think one of the most interesting things about the trade is Washington now has traded both their 3rd and 4th round draft picks next year (although they do get a late pick pack, and a 2012 4th for Jason Campbell). They are going to want to recoup at least one of those picks, so it seems to me the price is set for Albert Haynesworth.
Yeah, I already said I screwed the pooch in my initial search on Brown. And I agree that the combination of age, injury, salary demands, and draft picks made the Bills uninterested, as they should have been. For what they'd have needed to give/up, they'd be better off going after Gaither, McNeill, or Penn.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-20-2010, 07:11 AM
if the bills traded for donald penn, would it shut some of you guys up? "If" is a big word. This team has shown zero indication it can or will, so I could easily make hypotheticals about "if" pigs fly or "if" Hell freezes over that never will happen.

Goobylal
06-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Regarding Gaither, McNeill, and Penn, I'd wait until those situations got ugly (and they're approaching that stage, since the deadline to sign tenders has passed) and then swoop in.

PromoTheRobot
06-20-2010, 12:51 PM
If Brown is so damn good you have to ask yourself why any team that needs to improve at LT didn't make a move on him? It was hardly a bidding war, you know? And frankly, the Redskins hardly have a stellar track record with their off-season acquisitions. See: A. Haynesworth.

PTR

Buddo
06-21-2010, 03:23 AM
Looks like there was other interest in Brown.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/20/report-cowboys-tried-to-get-jammal-brown/?related=1
If the Bills knew that both the Skins and Cowgirls were interested, chances are they didn't bother too much, as they weren't about to win a bidding war in respect of contract.