PDA

View Full Version : NFL Supplemental Draft Filling Up

DraftBoy
06-20-2010, 07:53 PM
We all know the news that BYU Harvey Unga is in, but he's not the only one. One report from NFL Draft Bible has former Oregon QB Jeremiah Masoli considering entering the Supp Draft;
http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Daily-Dose/jeremiah-masoli-making-a-move-to-the-nfl.html

More importantly however may be the inclusion of Illinois NT Josh Brent Price, was arrested for a DUI in 2009 and declared academically ineligible for 2010, but he has great size 6'2, 330 and really started to come on last season. Ill have reports on Unga, Masoli, and Price all done in the next week for Draft Nasty.

WeAreArthurMoates
06-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Can Masoli play qb at his height. He's got a lot going for him but I question that size.

ServoBillieves
06-20-2010, 10:43 PM
I feel that Masoli's size isn't NFL caliber... If Doug Flutie proved anything it is that size doesn't matter (though his ex-girlfriends think otherwise *badumtsch*) but in the recent NFL, 5-11 214 is Devin Hester/small WR/"Can he play corner?" type size.

DraftBoy
06-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Can Masoli play qb at his height. He's got a lot going for him but I question that size.

His height is the last of his issues, he was arrested this past year for Burglary and given 12 months probabtion, then just this past month was pulled over for failing to stop before entering a roadway, and when he was pulled over they found marijuana on him (less than an ounce) and that his drivers license had been suspended.

Off the field stuff aside, he does not have the arm to play QB in the NFL, its a little ironic that he played for the Oregon Ducks, because every so often when he threw the ball it really was a duck.

Night Train
06-21-2010, 05:31 AM
Unga & Price are interesting but it depends if the Bills actually think the huge street FA Harvey can give them a few snaps a game as a backup NT, while giving a breather to Troup.
I'm thinking the Kyle WIlliams experiment at NT may come to a sudden halt in the next few months. He was a swinging door at DT vs. the run and suddenly he's projected at NT ?? Can't see it.

YardRat
06-21-2010, 06:01 AM
I wouldn't mind them blowing a mid-round pick on Price.

If he subs in at NT instead of Carrington and Edwards during camp, at least maybe OP's blood pressure will drop a couple of points.

DraftBoy
06-21-2010, 07:18 AM
I wouldn't mind them blowing a mid-round pick on Price.

If he subs in at NT instead of Carrington and Edwards during camp, at least maybe OP's blood pressure will drop a couple of points.

Supp drafted players traditionally go two rounds lower than they should. Price isnt likely to get drafted but I wouldnt mind taking a 7th Round flyer bid on him.

Price has enough issues to scare me away.

WeAreArthurMoates
06-21-2010, 08:10 AM
His height is the last of his issues, he was arrested this past year for Burglary and given 12 months probabtion, then just this past month was pulled over for failing to stop before entering a roadway, and when he was pulled over they found marijuana on him (less than an ounce) and that his drivers license had been suspended.

Off the field stuff aside, he does not have the arm to play QB in the NFL, its a little ironic that he played for the Oregon Ducks, because every so often when he threw the ball it really was a duck.

Thank you, I thought that about him.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Wishful thinking. If they won't give up picks in the regular draft, what makes you think they'll do it in a supplemental draft, with a weaker, shallower talent pool?

ddaryl
06-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Wishful thinking. If they won't give up picks in the regular draft, what makes you think they'll do it in a supplemental draft, with a weaker, shallower talent pool?

The Bills have traded draft picks many times so your post is laughable... In fact we traded away 1st rd picks 2 times in the last decade for players that turned out to be busts....

There was only 2 or 3 reasons to trade up in the 2010 draft and we weren't going to get Bradford or Suh or even Okung unless we sold the farm to do so.

On the other hand, if you can pick up a Supplemental player but give up a low draft pick it could be worth it.... and a possibility

but that doesn't mean the Bills will still do it.

Ron Burgundy
06-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Supp drafted players traditionally go two rounds lower than they should. Price isnt likely to get drafted but I wouldnt mind taking a 7th Round flyer bid on him.

Price has enough issues to scare me away.

I'd certainly drop a low rounder on the guy, just because I think we need some serious help at the position. So much depends on Troup...

And if anybody burns a pick on Masoli, I'd be shocked. That guy is a ****ing idiot.

DraftBoy
06-21-2010, 10:42 AM
I'd certainly drop a low rounder on the guy, just because I think we need some serious help at the position. So much depends on Troup...

And if anybody burns a pick on Masoli, I'd be shocked. That guy is a ****ing idiot.

He's not officially in yet, and if he enters I expect him to go undrafted.

He should transfer for a DII school and dominate for a year and stay out of trouble. But that would be the smart thing to do.

patmoran2006
06-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Here's something a few of you may find interesting.. In the history of the Supplemental Draft, the Bills have selected just one player who would ever go on to play for them.

Dwight Drane (1984)

Johnny Bugmenot
06-21-2010, 08:34 PM
The Bills have traded draft picks many times Buddy Nix publicly stated his goal was to trade down and pick up more draft picks this year.

YardRat
06-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Here's something a few of you may find interesting.. In the history of the Supplemental Draft, the Bills have selected just one player who would ever go on to play for them.

Dwight Drane (1984)

I don't think that counts for the annual supplemental draft...it was a 'special' supplemental draft for USFL and CFL players, and all of the teams participated without forfeiture of a future draft pick.

Eventually
06-22-2010, 12:52 AM
We all know the news that BYU Harvey Unga is in, but he's not the only one. One report from NFL Draft Bible has former Oregon QB Jeremiah Masoli considering entering the Supp Draft;
http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Daily-Dose/jeremiah-masoli-making-a-move-to-the-nfl.html

More importantly however may be the inclusion of Illinois NT Josh Brent Price, was arrested for a DUI in 2009 and declared academically ineligible for 2010, but he has great size 6'2, 330 and really started to come on last season. Ill have reports on Unga, Masoli, and Price all done in the next week for Draft Nasty.

Hey DB, never really kept up on the supp draft, was wondering who you thought may get drafted by whom and what rnd comp. do you think will be the highest wagered so to speak.

DraftBoy
06-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Buddy Nix publicly stated his goal was to trade down and pick up more draft picks this year.

Which isn't in any way prohibited by taking a late round guy here.

DraftBoy
06-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Hey DB, never really kept up on the supp draft, was wondering who you thought may get drafted by whom and what rnd comp. do you think will be the highest wagered so to speak.

Unga will get drafted and he may be the only one. I said in my Draft Nasty scouting report on him, I think he'd be a 5th Round pick.

This Price-Brent kid though intrigues me though. He's 6'2, and listed at 315, but on film he looks closer to 325. He had really good numbers last season; 29 tackles, 7 TFL, 3 Sacks, 3 FF.

For comparisons sake Mt. Cody last year has 28 tackles, 6 TFL, and 0 sacks. Im not saying they are the same caliber of players but they are of similar size and position. Im working on the report on him now and he has some good attributes and some bad ones for sure. He would be worth taking in Round 6 or 7 to me though. Great NT prospect.

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/brent_josh00.html

DraftBoy
06-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Gil "The Godfather" Brandt says Masoli is in;
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/06/21/players-start-to-line-up-for-supplemental-draft/

patmoran2006
06-22-2010, 09:02 AM
I don't think that counts for the annual supplemental draft...it was a 'special' supplemental draft for USFL and CFL players, and all of the teams participated without forfeiture of a future draft pick.

You're right. In that case, barring the USFL folding-- there has never been a player picked in the Supplemental draft who's gone to play for Buffalo.