PDA

View Full Version : Jairus Byrd: Bills' DBs Won't Back Down.

BillsWin
06-21-2010, 06:29 PM
LINK (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/14594/jairus-byrd-bills-dbs-wont-back-down)

Bills coach Chan Gailey has glowed about his unit (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11926/buffalo-doesnt-have-secondary-concerns).

"I've gone to a lot of teams," Gailey said at the NFL owners meetings. "I don't know that I've ever gone to a team that the secondary -- I'm talking corner and safety position -- is as strong as we have right now overall.

"When I went to Dallas, when I went to Miami, when I went to Pittsburgh they were all good. But I'm not so sure that this isn't the strongest group."

Mr. Pink
06-21-2010, 06:38 PM
:rofl:

What else is he gonna say?!?

We have a converted WR who's better than a top 10 pick at Safety?

DMBcrew36
06-21-2010, 06:39 PM
I think they're a relatively strong group... but what else would Gailey say? "They stink!" ?

The Spaz
06-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Not a safety position but man Lankster looks jacked in the few videos I have seen at him on BB.com.

tampabay25690
06-21-2010, 06:56 PM
All good and true points..
If our front 7 can improve this defense will be so much better....

we are
06-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Not a safety position but man Lankster looks jacked in the few videos I have seen at him on BB.com.

are you sure youre not referring to Cary Harris?

I havent seen much of Lankster, but Harris looks like he hit the weight room hard this offseason.

Griff
06-21-2010, 07:23 PM
our DBs are by far the last of our worries in fact I would say based on their play last year they're our upsides.

Joe Fo Sho
06-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Sweet, at least Chan and I have one thing in common. I glow about my unit, too.

Goobylal
06-21-2010, 08:17 PM
The secondary was awesome last year, and should only be better with McKelvin back, Byrd being 100% and not a rookie, and the CB's playing more man-to-man.

BertSquirtgum
06-21-2010, 08:21 PM
one of, if not, the best secondary in the league.

BillsWin
06-21-2010, 08:43 PM
To be honest, I think Florence is better suited for the 3-4 than McGee. I think the starters will be McKelvin and Florence before long. But I do agree that this is a deep, talented secondary.

The one thing Jauron got right.

THRILLHO
06-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Great, now if they are not coached to play ten yards from the WRs they might actually stop some gains....

Joe Fo Sho
06-21-2010, 09:25 PM
To be honest, I think Florence is better suited for the 3-4 than McGee. I think the starters will be McKelvin and Florence before long. But I do agree that this is a deep, talented secondary.

The one thing Jauron got right.

Well when you take a corner with every other pick, some of them should be at least decent. Throw enough **** at a wall, some is bound to stick.

theanswer74
06-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Whats funny is I think Chicago had the best secondary in the NFL when Jauron left also.

They had Mike Brown, Nathan Vasher, Jerry Azumah, R.W. McQuarters and Charles Tillman.

ServoBillieves
06-21-2010, 09:54 PM
McGee, McKelvin, Florence, Corner, Youboty, Lankster, Sargeant...

Wilson, Byrd, Whitner, Scott, Harris...

Yeah I'd say we have a pretty damn good secondary.

The Spaz
06-22-2010, 12:27 AM
are you sure youre not referring to Cary Harris?

I havent seen much of Lankster, but Harris looks like he hit the weight room hard this offseason.

No #25 is Lankster.

jamze132
06-22-2010, 04:27 AM
One position I am not very concerned with going into camp. Our DBs are on point.

ddaryl
06-22-2010, 07:26 AM
DB's are the strongest part of this team...no surprises here.

Let's just hope they are coached to clamp down and not give those god awful cushions we all couldn't stand.

DraftBoy
06-22-2010, 07:33 AM
My only concerns like BW is McGee, other than that Im very excited about our secondary.

WeAreArthurMoates
06-22-2010, 10:09 AM
My only concerns like BW is McGee, other than that Im very excited about our secondary.

Mine to, I'd really love to McGee back in the slot like early on in his career where he excelled.

OpIv37
06-22-2010, 10:17 AM
our secondary is going to look like crap because we have no pass rush. The best secondary in the game still can't cover receivers for 7 seconds.

DraftBoy
06-22-2010, 10:38 AM
our secondary is going to look like crap because we have no pass rush. The best secondary in the game still can't cover receivers for 7 seconds.

You dont know how the pass rush will look yet given the 3-4 transition. We have at least one player who projects to perfectly fit the outside rush LB spot in Maybin. He very well could provide a ton of pressure this year given he is a far better fit for this spot than he ever was for a 4-3 DE.

justasportsfan
06-22-2010, 10:50 AM
we barely had a pass rush last year and how did our secondary look ?

DraftBoy
06-22-2010, 10:56 AM
we barely had a pass rush last year and how did our secondary look ?

Completely different schemes, in last years scheme, the safeties were there to help the CB's cover deep against big plays. This year there will be far less over the top help so there is going to be more one on one work.

justasportsfan
06-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Completely different schemes, in last years scheme, the safeties were there to help the CB's cover deep against big plays. This year there will be far less over the top help so there is going to be more one on one work.

Point is, there's no guarantee that our secondary is going to look like crap without barely any pass rush just because OP says so.

OpIv37
06-22-2010, 11:05 AM
You dont know how the pass rush will look yet given the 3-4 transition. We have at least one player who projects to perfectly fit the outside rush LB spot in Maybin. He very well could provide a ton of pressure this year given he is a far better fit for this spot than he ever was for a 4-3 DE.

I think Maybin will be just as much of a waste in the 3-4 as he was in the 4-3.

But let's say you're right.

Our NT's consist of a rookie, a 4-3 DT trying to become an NT and a retread.
Our DE's consist of a rookie, an aging 4-3 DT trying to make the transition, and Edwards.

One guy can't provide all the pass rush.

No, I don't know for sure what will happen. But given that information, I can make an educated guess. Chances are it's going to be brutal.

OpIv37
06-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Point is, there's no guarantee that our secondary is going to look like crap without barely any pass rush just because OP says so.

Of course there is no guarantee. There are no guarantees in sports, period. But see my previous post. Chances are our pass rush is going to be ****ty. Like it or not, all I'm doing is playing the odds.

DraftBoy
06-22-2010, 11:17 AM
I think Maybin will be just as much of a waste in the 3-4 as he was in the 4-3.

But let's say you're right.

Our NT's consist of a rookie, a 4-3 DT trying to become an NT and a retread.
Our DE's consist of a rookie, an aging 4-3 DT trying to make the transition, and Edwards.

One guy can't provide all the pass rush.

No, I don't know for sure what will happen. But given that information, I can make an educated guess. Chances are it's going to be brutal.

Can you break down where the pressure is supposed to come from with the 3-4 now?

justasportsfan
06-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Of course there is no guarantee. There are no guarantees in sports, period. But see my previous post. Chances are our pass rush is going to be ****ty. Like it or not, all I'm doing is playing the odds.

you didn't say chances are or likely in the post I quoted you on.

OpIv37
06-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Can you break down where the pressure is supposed to come from with the 3-4 now?

Does it matter? Our entire DL is insufficient, and if you say it's supposed to come from the OLB's then we MIGHT have Maybin if he ever lives up to the hype. I suppose the 3-4 has more blitzes than the 4-3, but then our vaunted secondary is rushing the passer and guys like Kelsay and Maybin are dropping back into coverage.

WeAreArthurMoates
06-22-2010, 12:23 PM

Really, it looked fine last year with a crap pass rush and this was playing with a disadvantage seeing we played with a 10 yard cushion.

HHURRICANE
06-22-2010, 12:54 PM
The Bills should have a great secondary considering we've been drafting at that position like it's the only roster need we ever had.

Goobylal
06-22-2010, 11:00 PM
He can't. He's making assumptions and predictions without even knowing how the 3-4 works.

The DL isn't there to get sacks, but to tie-up the OL and keep them off of the LB's, who mostly are the ones applying the pressure (yes, it DOES matter), along with the S's, but usually not the CB's. If the DL can get sacks, that's gravy. But Stroud, Williams, and Edwards can tie-up the OL just fine, allowing Poz and Davis to diagnose the play and either blitz, cover, or provide run support, while the OLB's cover or rush the passer. The Bills' secondary it top-notch and can stick with receivers, giving the front-7 more time. And since there's one less defender tied-up at the line, it gives greater flexibility, ability to cover more of the field, and allows for the defense to hide their coverages and confuse the offense.

And as for needing a stud NT, when Jenkins and Ferguson went down last year, the Jets and Dols replaced them with Sione Pouha (who?), a guy who had 1 career start to his name prior to last season, and Randy Starks, a converted 4-3 DT, without missing a beat. And Kyle Williams is a good player.

Mr. Pink
06-23-2010, 10:33 PM
I am very worried about the secondary...apparently, I'm the only one.

I don't think any of the corners are good enough to be consistently playing man.

Outside of Byrd, I don't think any of our safeties can cover a TE who runs a post.

Like OP, I don't think we're gonna generate much passrush so instead of playing a defense that was to the strength of the talent - or lack there of - we're now gonna try to attack. We're gonna give up big plays left and right while Gailey and company work at picking up the right players for the scheme.

Combine that with no shut down corner and weak man corners overall, teams like the Pats will roll 30+ on us.

more cowbell
06-23-2010, 11:57 PM
I think Leodis McKelvin is the most overrated player on this team. He is no lock to even start. Donte Whitner is garbage.

Secondary is the deepest part of the team, but that isn't saying much.

YardRat
06-24-2010, 05:43 AM
I think some people are going to end up disappointed with the secondary's performance this season.

Goobylal
06-24-2010, 07:12 AM

I don't think any of the corners are good enough to be consistently playing man.

Outside of Byrd, I don't think any of our safeties can cover a TE who runs a post.

Like OP, I don't think we're gonna generate much passrush so instead of playing a defense that was to the strength of the talent - or lack there of - we're now gonna try to attack. We're gonna give up big plays left and right while Gailey and company work at picking up the right players for the scheme.

Combine that with no shut down corner and weak man corners overall, teams like the Pats will roll 30+ on us.
I disagree. I think they do have the CB's to play man-to-man, and getting into the WR's faces rather than giving them those annoying 10-yard cushions, and making teams have to throw longer, lower percentage passes, should help a lot.

As for pass rush, it's not like the pass rush was so great last year. And the 3-4 allows teams to disguise where the pressure is coming from.

Also thankfully the Pats let Watson walk and have no real threats at TE, while Moss is aging, Welker is hurt, and Holt is in decline. In the division, only the Jets have a threat at TE in Keller, and he did nothing against the Bills last year.

ZAZusmc03
06-24-2010, 07:15 AM
I don't think McGee can handle the man to man coverage, I think mckelvin will end up being our shutdown corner.

DraftBoy
06-24-2010, 07:20 AM
I think some people are going to end up disappointed with the secondary's performance this season.

I think so too, but not because they are going to be poor but because peoples expectations seem outrageous.

Goobylal
06-24-2010, 07:43 AM
I think so too, but not because they are going to be poor but because peoples expectations seem outrageous.
I don't think Byrd will get 9 INT's again this year, mostly because I believe his presence will make QB's think twice about heaving it in his vicinity.

Mahdi
06-24-2010, 11:56 AM

Who says we are going to be constantly playing man? I'm sure we will play quite a bit of zone coverages.

1. Because our secondary is schooled in playing zone

2. Because 3-4 defense employs a lot of zone coverage in the secondary.

Goobylal
06-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Who says we are going to be constantly playing man? I'm sure we will play quite a bit of zone coverages.

If they're planning on playing a Rex Ryan type of 3-4, they'll be playing a lot of man-to-man.

Mr. Pink
06-24-2010, 02:20 PM

3-4 defenses play a lot more man defense than zone because you need to use the linebackers to cause pressure.

If you see a lot of zone out of 3-4 you won't see any pressure because lets face it we have no one who's dominant on the line. QBs will have all day to throw. WRs will be wide open.

The 3-4 is based on being an attacking style of defense unlike the version of Cover 2 we played which was sitting back and keeping plays in front of the defense.

My fear is that with switching, we don't have the personnel to be successful doing that, which in turn will allow a lot of big plays.

better days
06-24-2010, 03:28 PM
3-4 defenses play a lot more man defense than zone because you need to use the linebackers to cause pressure.

If you see a lot of zone out of 3-4 you won't see any pressure because lets face it we have no one who's dominant on the line. QBs will have all day to throw. WRs will be wide open.

The 3-4 is based on being an attacking style of defense unlike the version of Cover 2 we played which was sitting back and keeping plays in front of the defense.

My fear is that with switching, we don't have the personnel to be successful doing that, which in turn will allow a lot of big plays.

Yeah, I agree giving up the BIG play is my biggest fear for the defense this year.

NextbillsQB
06-26-2010, 04:26 PM
:rofl:

What else is he gonna say?!?

We have a converted WR who's better than a top 10 pick at Safety?

That converted WR had pro bowl numbers last year

Mahdi
06-26-2010, 05:14 PM

You don't understand what zone means then if you think it has to do with how much pressure is applied on the QB. It's not even related.

Pittsburgh for example plays a lot of zone coverages and as you know they attack the QB all day.

There is no such thing as a tendency to play man in a 3-4 defense. Both man and zone are used extensively, it all depends on the call the DC makes.

better days
06-26-2010, 10:53 PM
You don't understand what zone means then if you think it has to do with how much pressure is applied on the QB. It's not even related.

Pittsburgh for example plays a lot of zone coverages and as you know they attack the QB all day.

There is no such thing as a tendency to play man in a 3-4 defense. Both man and zone are used extensively, it all depends on the call the DC makes.

A team that plays 3-4 plays man coverage at least some of the time. Tampa last year tried to play 3-4 & had to revert back to the cover 2 because they did not have the DB's to play man coverage & were giving up a ton of big plays.

Mahdi
06-26-2010, 11:02 PM
A team that plays 3-4 plays man coverage at least some of the time. Tampa last year tried to play 3-4 & had to revert back to the cover 2 because they did not have the DB's to play man coverage & were giving up a ton of big plays.
Tampa never played or even tried to play 3-4 last year. They are strictly a 4-3 defense.

DraftBoy
06-27-2010, 01:29 PM

It really depends, there are multiple ways to play the zone defense, you can use it that includes the DB, LB, and DL, or just the DB's etc...

Pittsburgh plays a lot of zone, but SD plays a lot of man (as does NYJ). Both attack the QB as well as Pit if not better in the Jets case.

Mahdi
06-27-2010, 03:59 PM
It really depends, there are multiple ways to play the zone defense, you can use it that includes the DB, LB, and DL, or just the DB's etc...

Pittsburgh plays a lot of zone, but SD plays a lot of man (as does NYJ). Both attack the QB as well as Pit if not better in the Jets case.
Pit was 2nd in sacks, NYJ were 18th.