PDA

View Full Version : Will Trentative Suddenly Sense Pressure & Stop Staring Down Receivers ?

Night Train
06-22-2010, 11:40 AM
He may get 1st crack (and probably his last) at being the starter but I've seen RJ, Bledsoe & even Losman shine during the spring/summer workouts only to fold like a cheap tent, once the real bullets started flying.

Tentative went from holding the ball too long to just throwing dump passes and not progressing through his reads at all. He was obviously playing scared.

I would love to believe a new Gailey scheme would allow him to actually throw a ball more than 6 yards and see primary/secondary options downfield. Still, I can't help but review his recent history of headshots and poor decision making to think he would actually succeed as our QB. That would equal Lazarus rising from the dead but with the competition only being the erratic Fitzpatrick and the completely unknown Brohm, they may have few options other than to ready the rookie Brown for a future shot while picking from 3 C-,D+ candidates to play now.

I'll root for anyone wearing the laundry but proping up Edwards to me is just putting a shine on a proven turd. I can see Gailey having a quick hook if Trentative morphs back to his old habits.

Little wonder many root for a complete unknown in Brohm.

ddaryl
06-22-2010, 11:44 AM
it really comes down to coaching IMO...

If the coaches can coach him out of those bad habits is the question.....

and we will get to find out...

I really don't see Trent as a proven turd. I view the organization and the coaching that surrounded him as the turd... Edwards get a chance ot show us it wasn't all him....

HHURRICANE
06-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Read my other thread.

Either way, this is the last shot for Edwards but if I'm the coach I'm still playing the best player.

Brohm is not going to win an open QB competition.

PS. Edwards is pretty high on the new WR corp. He said it's best he's worked with since he's been here.

OpIv37
06-22-2010, 11:51 AM
"New" WR corp? We added one guy- a rookie.

Jan Reimers
06-22-2010, 11:53 AM
I really don't see Trent as a proven turd.
He's more of a semi-proven turd, dd. But I agree with your general assessment. He did show some talent at one point, so a coaching change just might help him regain some of the confidence he has obviously lost. I would think that playing for Jauron was just the opposite of what a guy with a frail psyche needed.

justasportsfan
06-22-2010, 11:53 AM
He should be able to progress through his reads better since Chane is interactive. Under Dick there really weren't a whole lot of choices offensively and besides, Trent wasn't the only one knowing the plays, the D did even before the snap.

Edwards also seems to be more comfortable working under Gailey than previous coach Dick Jauron.

"He's one of those guys that will call the play, step back and then want to talk with the other quarterbacks about it," Edwards said of Gailey. "So you'll see the play going in front of you and if you're not in there you can stand next to Chan and he'll tell what he's thinking on the play. And that's what's nice is that having a guy that you report to with one voice. One guy that you have to talk to is nice that you just have to report to Chan."

He's a douche. Unlike Florence ,he should know the names of the new recievers in their first week since he's throwing to them.

"The first week it's learning their first names, the second week it's learning their last name, and then slowly you learn their numbers and all of that," said Edwards, smiling. "But those guys like I've said before are doing an incredible job. They're working hard, I like them. Every single one of them I feel like is picking up the offense very quickly. They're out there and they're not making a ton of mistakes."

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/21/1090030/bills-edwards-keeps-narrow-focus.html

Philagape
06-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Sorry, I need to see the metrics on "staring down receivers" and "sensing pressure" to do a real analysis. :insane:

HHURRICANE
06-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I like Daryl's point!

Losman and Evans were tight. They still hang out together. Evans was a vocal supporter of Losman, not Edwards. This is just one example of a team that has had some kind of little in fighting, territory BS going on. Players shouldn't be running the team.

I think Gailey isn't going to give two craps what the media or Evans or any other player thinks.

If Edwards gets the nod I beleive Gailey is going to stick with him and not worry about his job.

HHURRICANE
06-22-2010, 11:55 AM

Hardy was still coming off an injury, Johnson had limited reps, Easley is new, etc., etc. etc.

Go to bb.com, it's on their.

Jan Reimers
06-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Roosevelt and Jones - while UDFAs - are still new. And the other guys mentioned got very little work under Jauron, who apparently thought young guys had leprosy or something equally hideous.

justasportsfan
06-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Roosevelt and Jones - while UDFAs - are still new. And the other guys mentioned got very little work under Jauron, who apparently thought young guys had leprosy or something equally hideous.
you can count Spiller too. As long as Lynch is with the team, I think Spiller will be used a lot in the passing game.

OpIv37
06-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Hardy was still coming off an injury, Johnson had limited reps, Easley is new, etc., etc. etc.

Go to bb.com, it's on their.

You might be able to make a case for Hardy. Johnson had limited reps because he didn't earn them.

OpIv37
06-22-2010, 12:04 PM

or maybe those young guys simply did nothing to deserve a shot. We won't know until they play, but I do know that Hardy looked awful in his very limited opportunities on the field.

OpIv37
06-22-2010, 12:06 PM
And Roosevelt is this year's Rudy story- an underdog liked by fans who ends up doing nothing. There is one every year- Drew Haddad and Constantin Ritzman come immediately to mind.

justasportsfan
06-22-2010, 12:08 PM
And Roosevelt is this year's Rudy story- an underdog liked by fans who ends up doing nothing. There is one every year- Drew Haddad and Constantin Ritzman come immediately to mind.
last year it was Stevie Johnson.

madness
06-22-2010, 12:36 PM
He's a douche. Unlike Florence ,he should know the names of the new recievers in their first week since he's throwing to them.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/21/1090030/bills-edwards-keeps-narrow-focus.html

Calm down, he was only kidding.

trapezeus
06-22-2010, 12:38 PM
trent has said a couple times in a couple different interviews that he was frustrated with the disconnect between jauron and AVP. So maybe he was becoming trentative because he was getting conflicting reports from different coaches.

Now, if he can trust chan and chan can trust edwards, we might see a guy who can learn from the mistakes he's making.

The issue remains, what happens if he has a mediocre season, isn't the reason we are losing a couple games and lasts through the season. is that enough to stick with the guy?

I'm totally torn on this because on one hand, i'd love edwards to blossom and not have us have to waste a pick on a new QB who will need time and probably have growing pains.

on the other hand i'm not convinced edwards can ever deal with the buffalo weather and stay healthy. those aren't coachable issues. Those are on him.

Michael82
06-22-2010, 01:07 PM
The issue remains, what happens if he has a mediocre season, isn't the reason we are losing a couple games and lasts through the season. is that enough to stick with the guy?

That's my biggest problem with starting Trent Edwards. If he wins the job and doesn't lose the games, but he's just mediocre...I really think they will lock him up and we will be stuck with his mediocrity and injury proneness for at least 1 or 2 more seasons. :ill:

mayotm
06-22-2010, 01:30 PM
That's my biggest problem with starting Trent Edwards. If he wins the job and doesn't lose the games, but he's just mediocre...I really think they will lock him up and we will be stuck with his mediocrity and injury proneness for at least 1 or 2 more seasons. :ill:I don't think that they will lock him up if he's just mediocre. I think he would have to play above average to get an extension. So, if he plays poorly like many expect, he'll be gone. If he plays well, I have no problem with them extending him.

ddaryl
06-22-2010, 01:41 PM
That's my biggest problem with starting Trent Edwards. If he wins the job and doesn't lose the games, but he's just mediocre...I really think they will lock him up and we will be stuck with his mediocrity and injury proneness for at least 1 or 2 more seasons. :ill:

we're not passing up on a franchise arm in 2011...Too many real good QB's coming out next year and we will have one.

IMO that is the only reason we didn't go balls out to bring in a vet or draft a QB this year. Nix sees the potential in next years crop and decided we can make do and see what we have while we continue rebuilding this year.

justasportsfan
06-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Calm down, he was only kidding.

I was being sarcastic refering to an OP post about Florence not knowing a new players name

trapezeus
06-22-2010, 02:05 PM
i guess we can trust this front office a little more to take best player available so even if edwards plays better than last year, but it's our time to pick and the best player is a QB, they'll take him.

and that wouldn't be so bad because edwards has kind of solidified in my mind as a very good backup. cerebral, can play a handful of games well enough to not put you in danger...but he isn't going to take a full year of abuse.

madness
06-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I was being sarcastic refering to an OP post about Florence not knowing a new players name

Oh, in that case.... :spit:

Philagape
06-22-2010, 02:35 PM

Fred Jackson was better than mediocre, and they still drafted Spiller. If a QB they want is there, and he tops their board, they'll take him.

Philagape
06-22-2010, 02:36 PM
i guess we can trust this front office a little more to take best player available so even if edwards plays better than last year, but it's our time to pick and the best player is a QB, they'll take him.

Whoops, didn't see this before I posted. what he said.

Michael82
06-22-2010, 04:00 PM

and that wouldn't be so bad because edwards has kind of solidified in my mind as a very good backup. cerebral, can play a handful of games well enough to not put you in danger...but he isn't going to take a full year of abuse.
The problem is....if Edwards is his usual mediocre self, we won't lose enough games to get one of the top QBs.

HHURRICANE
06-22-2010, 05:09 PM
The problem is....if Edwards is his usual mediocre self, we won't lose enough games to get one of the top QBs.

See now this does scare me.

I agree that Edwards needs to be much better or much worse. Drafting at 8-11 every year has gotten us squat.

Talk about a cluster drafting at these spots. Maybin, McKelvin, Lynch, Whitner, ughh! And Lee Evans is no superstar either at #13.

better days
06-22-2010, 07:13 PM
it really comes down to coaching IMO...

If the coaches can coach him out of those bad habits is the question.....

and we will get to find out...

I really don't see Trent as a proven turd. I view the organization and the coaching that surrounded him as the turd... Edwards get a chance ot show us it wasn't all him....

I am one of Trents biggest critics, but even I will admit it was not all on him. The fact is though, Trent does not have the physical skills to be anything more than a good back up in the NFL, & that is with great coaching from Chan this year to improve his game.

BertSquirtgum
06-22-2010, 10:52 PM
trent is terrible.

Mr. Pink
06-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Who cares?

We're going to be picking the next great overhyped savior at QB in April anyways.