PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Down Buffalo's Fourth-Quarter Failures Since 2006

madness
06-23-2010, 08:56 AM
If you have a week stomach, I'd suggest not reading until your breakfast is digested.

Breaking Down Buffalo's Fourth-Quarter Failures Since 2006 (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/6/23/1531177/breaking-down-buffalos-fourth)
One of the biggest gripes surrounding the Dick Jauron era of the Buffalo Bills was the team's inability to win close games. Buffalo suffered defeat in so many fourth-quarter collapses that it became ritualistic for fans to expect the worse once the final 15 minutes of a game began.
http://www.billszone.com/mt/images/newsicons/bills.gif buffalorumblings.com/Brian Galliford | Posted at 09:36 AM

madness
06-23-2010, 08:58 AM
This comment just about sums it up...

It was… but how pathetic is it that the best win under Jauron was a comeback, last second FG, at home, to Jamarcus Russell… lol

trapezeus
06-23-2010, 09:26 AM
nice article. i actually thought the numbers looked better than what i expeceted. pathetic i know.

I didn't like jauron much when he was hear, but since he's gone, the stories an the displeasure the players had, it drives me crazy. we pissed away 4 years for nothing.

i'm still smarming over how bad his drafts were. The 2008 draft class has mckelvin and most of everyone else is totally uslesss or already cut. pathetic.

ddaryl
06-23-2010, 09:27 AM
This is a tell tale sign of piss poor conditioning.

And many of our injuries we're also a product of our craptastic conditioning. Being out of breathe and tired leaves a player vulnerable.

no surprises here at all, and as for a weak stomach... if anything I've become callous

THRILLHO
06-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Just when I thought I had forgotten about that Monday Night Dallas game....

justasportsfan
06-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Those walk thru's were golden in the 4th qtr. Not to mention those TV in the weights room surely helped.

ServoBillieves
06-23-2010, 01:56 PM
The grammatical mistakes in this thread are mind boggling...

This team has been so hard to watch over the past few years. Any lead by less than 14 points or less felt like it was almost guaranteed to be a loss. Let's hope the "Bend don't break" defense we've seen the past few years can turn in to a wall.

HAMMER
06-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Why would you do this to yourself and us?

better days
06-23-2010, 07:07 PM
nice article. i actually thought the numbers looked better than what i expeceted. pathetic i know.

I didn't like jauron much when he was hear, but since he's gone, the stories an the displeasure the players had, it drives me crazy. we pissed away 4 years for nothing.

i'm still smarming over how bad his drafts were. The 2008 draft class has mckelvin and most of everyone else is totally uslesss or already cut. pathetic.

I heard Vic Carucci on the Shredd & Ragan show say that the trade of Peters to the Eagles was Jaurons doing as well. He did not want to put up with Peters *****. Vic said Chan would not deal with Lynch the same way. Lynch will have to buy into Chans program because he won't be traded.

jamze132
06-24-2010, 05:45 AM
Dick set this team up for failure year in, year out. At least now we can being the healing process.

YardRat
06-24-2010, 06:10 AM
I expected much worse.

That being said, a simple breakdown of wins vs losses doesn't tell the entire story, as the offense pretty much consistently looked like dead, rotting ass even in the victories.

dannyek71
06-24-2010, 07:37 AM
Wow, as if I already didn't have enough reasons to drink.

jamze132
06-25-2010, 01:39 AM
Clock management was a HUGE reason we couldn't close games out.

Mr. Pink
06-25-2010, 04:41 AM
Lack of talent and the offense failing to maintain drives is why we lost games late.

When you have an obvious talent gap in a tight game, the team with more talent comes out on top. And if you cannot control the clock and have long time eating drives well you turn back to your already tired D.

Lots of bad football teams can stay in games til the 4th quarter. Once you get there you can see the difference between a good football team and a poor football team.

justasportsfan
06-25-2010, 07:03 AM
One of the few Dick apologist left behind.

Lack of talent and the offense failing to maintain drives is why we lost games late.

When you have an obvious talent gap in a tight game, the team with more talent comes out on top. And if you cannot control the clock and have long time eating drives well you turn back to your already tired D.

Lots of bad football teams can stay in games til the 4th quarter. Once you get there you can see the difference between a good football team and a poor football team.

RockStar36
06-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Not sure if the Raiders win was the best of the Jauron era in terms of a comeback win. I'm still fond of that game in Houston years ago.

billz83
06-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Shows how PATHETIC this team has been in the last few years..just absolutely GARBAGE! there is no defending the trash this owner puts on the field..and people are actually argueing we arent the worst team in the nfl haha..ALL THE OTHER TEAMS have made improvements to their weaknesses..only the bills will go into this season ignoring the OLINE and the QBz..the same crap QBz..when will this team see a REAL QB on the roster.

Mr. Pink
06-25-2010, 01:32 PM
One of the few Dick apologist left behind.

What does that make you? One of the few people who thought this team had a strong talent base?

justasportsfan
06-25-2010, 02:13 PM
What does that make you? One of the few people who thought this team had a strong talent base?

Nope, just one of the guys who thinks it's hard to gauge the talent on this team when your coach sets you up to fail. We could have an all pro team and Dick would've turned them into soft turds.

Besides, it talk is, he's been responsible for most of the talent decisions here. :ill:

You can go ahead and keep making apologies for Dick who is a db coach and in the meantime Fewell is a DC .

Mr. Pink
06-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Nope, just one of the guys who thinks it's hard to gauge the talent on this team when your coach sets you up to fail. We could have an all pro team and Dick would've turned them into soft turds.

Besides, it talk is, he's been responsible for most of the talent decisions here. :ill:

You can go ahead and keep making apologies for Dick who is a db coach and in the meantime Fewell is a DC .

So what happens if and when Chan fails?

Where does the blame go then?

You'll lose your scapegoat.

justasportsfan
06-25-2010, 02:54 PM
So what happens if and when Chan fails?

Where does the blame go then?

You'll lose your scapegoat.

Whose talking about Chan? We'll have to wait and see how he does.

Dick got 3 years and the team regressed while the rest of the AFCE got better and yet you continue to defend him. The fins went from 1-15 to playoffs. Dick couldn't even come close .

Mr. Pink
06-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Whose talking about Chan? We'll have to wait and see how he does.

Dick got 3 years and the team regressed while the rest of the AFCE got better and yet you continue to defend him. The fins went from 1-15 to playoffs. Dick couldn't even come close .

The team didn't regress.

It stayed stagnant and talent deficient, although in sports if you're standing still you're getting worse.

This year however we have a huge regression in talent and more holes today than in the past 3 years.

Under Dick the team was competitive and stayed in a bunch of ball games it had no business being in. The Colts game a few years ago when Losman threw like 10 passes is a prime example or the Saints game this past season. Problem is the talent gap was so large more talented teams pull out those type of games.

However competitive isn't good enough when you're not making the playoffs, so a change was needed. Problem is people have unrealistic expectations that just losing Dick is going to get us 2-3 more wins per year...I hate to break it to people but that just isn't gonna happen.

It has nothing to do with being an apologist. It has to do with realizing this team is simply not good enough on the field to win enough ballgames to make the playoffs. The schemes, the gameplans, etc matter none when you have undisciplined lower echelon talented players. You can try to hide your deficiencies to stay close but in the end a team with more talent is going to beat you. Dick tried to hide the deficiencies as much as he could throughout his time here...playing an umbrella defense to keep plays in front of us, having our weak QBs not throw the ball a lot, pound the ground to run clock. Then someone had the brilliant idea last year to run the no-huddle and see where that got us?

Round hole - square peg. Which is exactly what the defense is going to be this year and likely next year too. Hopefully a few of these guys can be serviceable in this defense and maybe we get a stud or two to build around ie. Byrd. If not, holy cow, we're talking KC Chief or Cleveland Brown bad on D.

Typ0
06-25-2010, 08:20 PM
I can't think of ever reading a better post on these boards and I've read a lot. It all goes back to the marketing first mentality of our organization. Marketing is important but it will never replace the importance of the product on the field. This team can't compete for a championship because Wilson is convinced they can't compete.

The team didn't regress.

It stayed stagnant and talent deficient, although in sports if you're standing still you're getting worse.

This year however we have a huge regression in talent and more holes today than in the past 3 years.

Under Dick the team was competitive and stayed in a bunch of ball games it had no business being in. The Colts game a few years ago when Losman threw like 10 passes is a prime example or the Saints game this past season. Problem is the talent gap was so large more talented teams pull out those type of games.

However competitive isn't good enough when you're not making the playoffs, so a change was needed. Problem is people have unrealistic expectations that just losing Dick is going to get us 2-3 more wins per year...I hate to break it to people but that just isn't gonna happen.

It has nothing to do with being an apologist. It has to do with realizing this team is simply not good enough on the field to win enough ballgames to make the playoffs. The schemes, the gameplans, etc matter none when you have undisciplined lower echelon talented players. You can try to hide your deficiencies to stay close but in the end a team with more talent is going to beat you. Dick tried to hide the deficiencies as much as he could throughout his time here...playing an umbrella defense to keep plays in front of us, having our weak QBs not throw the ball a lot, pound the ground to run clock. Then someone had the brilliant idea last year to run the no-huddle and see where that got us?

Round hole - square peg. Which is exactly what the defense is going to be this year and likely next year too. Hopefully a few of these guys can be serviceable in this defense and maybe we get a stud or two to build around ie. Byrd. If not, holy cow, we're talking KC Chief or Cleveland Brown bad on D.

Spiderweb
06-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Wow, as if I already didn't have enough reasons to drink.

I'll second, third, fourth, fifth, ................. that.